Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice on a warmer mid-layer

I've been riding the past couple of seasons with a BD shell (which I love) and a North Face Ventrix midlayer (https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/me...ariationId=96R) While the Ventrix has been great for touring days and mildly cold resort days, it's not been quite warm enough for colder resort days (single digits or windy days in the teens.) I've found myself needing to add a few too many base layers for my liking on days like that.

So in an effort to beef up my cold weather kit am I better off springing for a full new midlayer with a bit heavier fill, or should I just add something like a down vest as an additional layer on colder days?

I find the nano air jacket to be a really nice one that breathes. On warm days, I just wear a R1 hoody, on colder days I might wear the nano air over it.
    https://www.patagonia.com/product/me...ket/84252.html

Advice on a warmer mid-layer

NanoAir Hoody for breathable warmth....NanoPuff Hoody for flat out EC warmth...

My shell is a FRS Antero2+.....or Stio Environ

down, unless you need synthetic for wet environments and/or ethical reasons

Atom LT if you have a normal internal thermometer, Atom AR if you run cold, and Proton LT if you run hot.
    swing your fucking sword.

For really cold resort riding in single digits, I'd vote for a down jacket as a mid layer, especially if you already have a breathable synthetic mid layer. You don't have to worry too much about managing moisture or breathability while resort riding in those temps, and down will be warmer than synthetics. Something like a Patagonia down sweater or similar. And a down jacket is always nice to have for lots of activities.

my go-to is MH monkeyman grid fleece. regulates your temp really well. breathes really well. on colder days i just match it with a single heavier baselayer (eg smartwool 250). i only use zipnecks to keep heat in until I need to dump some, fwiw. I've tried down tops but they get me too hot. ymmv.

I dislike wearing down under a vapor barrier like gore-tex. It gets kinda gross and clammy.

I find Smartwool Smartloft to be exceptionally warm as a mid layer. I have this jacket and it is too warm most days as a mid layer- https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-...ariationId=001

This one would presumably be even warmer- https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-...ariationId=001

It doesn't get near as funky as down and it is way easier to wash.

I also have an Atom LT that isn't as warm. I wear the atom on moderately cold days and break out the smarloft on really cold days. Both are too warm for touring.

I ski in Banff - and it's usually ridiculously cold (and windy) here. In moderate cold resort days i use a down sweater under my shell. But usually I add a down vest on top of the down sweater - it really helps. If below 10F I add one of those thin wool vests to my base layers (the one's you wear over a collar shirt. I find the v-neck keeps my neck free from material, and it doesn't restrict arm movement. I barely feel it on. Also works to just wear it under the down sweater without the down vest). Below 0F i'll add a hand warmer to a chest pocket.

I would add on to what you have: 2 mid layers come out for me depending on temp. Either the arc teryx cerium vest (down) or the atom vest - if i need a full down jacket under a shell it's too damned cold to be resort skiing

Nano air

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Atom LT if you have a normal internal thermometer, Atom AR if you run cold, and Proton LT if you run hot.
    Ditto

Under my shell...Patagonia nanopuff for warmer days (25-32F), down sweater for medium days (10-25F), and full-on fat puffy for cold days (10F and lower). No hoods ever. My fat puffy is a Patagonia, but I'm not sure they make it anymore, at least not without the hood. Fuck hoods, they are as useless as powder skirts and get in the way just as much.

freeride systems harrison fleece jacket is a great option

My go to for subzero is a heavy baselayer, a midlayer--R1 or 2, nanopuff, and non insulated shell. For not quite so cold, midweight baselayer. Otherwise the same. I think heavy fleece is too bulky, heavy, and constricting--you need a puffy, either down or synthetic when things get seriously cold.

A 300 weight polartec fleece is always great on icy days. Breathes well but provides great warmth.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

That's the trick with mids. Ideally they're just insulators with super high breathability but too often mfgs make them wind resistant in order to make them do 2 things at once.

On the really chilly days, I love a thick wool sweater on top of a heavyweight base layer followed by an insulated shell. The wool functions like a mid should providing insulation without inhibiting moisture from evaporating.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

eat more burritos

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    That's the trick with mids. Ideally they're just insulators with super high breathability but too often mfgs make them wind resistant in order to make them do 2 things at once.
    That’s definitely been the Catch-22 with my TNF midlayer. It breathes really well, but it’s just not quite enough for the really cold ones. Right now I’m leaning toward down without going too puffy and paying attention to the level of windproofing and DWR.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    This!

Anyone tried the Dark Peak NESSH? They're a buy one/give one TOMS-style business model that got started in crowdfunding and are completely transparent about why, what, and how they're actually giving. If their quality is respectable, I'm totally up to support them over a bigger brand.

This is my fave right now: https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_us/ar...oof-pile-34063

I like layers with a little pile/loft to keep surfaces "apart" a little to give things a little room for moisture to dissipate.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Base Layer: merino, smart wool, UA, stanfields, whatever I’ve found most do the job. Then:
    Favorite Mid: Patagonia R1 or otherequivalent - flylow now makes a great one

Shell.

If it’s cold, I add an arteryx atom LT (the classic one, or nano air whatever) then:
    Shell.

Colder than that. I go to a down shell.

End
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    I've been riding the past couple of seasons with a BD shell (which I love) and a North Face Ventrix midlayer (https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/me...ariationId=96R) While the Ventrix has been great for touring days and mildly cold resort days, it's not been quite warm enough for colder resort days (single digits or windy days in the teens.) I've found myself needing to add a few too many base layers for my liking on days like that.

So in an effort to beef up my cold weather kit am I better off springing for a full new midlayer with a bit heavier fill, or should I just add something like a down vest as an additional layer on colder days?
    2 questions here:
    1- Get one warmer mid layer, or an additional mid layer to add to your current one?
    2-Which garment?

For question one, pros and cons. Adding something (I vote vest for comfort), has flexibility. Saves packing for traveling and allows adjustments during the day.
    One thick mid layer is easier, quicker and often more comfortable.

As far as materials/models go, I favor active insulation like your Ventrix, Nanoair, Polarguard Alpha etc.Plain Fleece is my second choice.
    The colder it gets, the more likely moisture is to get trapped inside, which is why I don’t like tightly woven-shelled insulation like down, NanoPuff, or fleece with overlays, like that HH.
    For resort skiing, it’s nearly impossible to prevent some sweating on the way down, followed by cooling in the lift.
    If it is dry and very windy, moisture build up is less of an issue.