View Poll Results: Your Next Amp (weapon of ear destruction).

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100% vacuum tubes rule!

0 0%
  • Profiling rocks - this is THE WAY

0 0%
  • Modeling is good, Fucking good enough!

1 100.00%
  • Solid state simplicity and reliability

0 0%
  • Just fuck it - keep the dial down low and become a better shredder CLEAN

0 0%

Your next amp - profiling, modeling, or the real deal?

I'm a tube aficionado with a cheap shitty little 10 watt solid state amp.
    The choices for a new amp are daunting.

Princeton Fender Reverb?
    Marshall, or clone ?
    A boutique or DIY kit?
    A Peavey Classic?
    Tube? Solid State? Hybrid?
    A modeling amp (ex. Yamaha THR or Positive Grid Spark, or Boss or other)
    + or maybe just add pedals to get required tone (even pedals cost a bundle new).
    + maybe a load box/attenuator to play at low volumes and get the full sound.

Or a Profiling Amp like a Kemper (big $$$$$) + whatever sound system to make it all work.
    Or just fuck it because it doesn't really matter and even a shitty amp at low volumes, clean, is all that is required to live a happy life.

Costs - all different.
    Sounds - subjective (I always like real tube 'chime' and/or the warm mellowness it brings).
    Convenience - can it gig (not me any time soon), can it bedroom (a must for me), can it play in a small jam session with others?
    Simplicity - will the equipment distract from the fun of plugging and playing, or will it enhance it?

So many choices!
    I'm just starting down this wormhole as I get back into playing since EVH passing (RIP Eddie!).

What decisions have you made lately about your playing setup?
    How have your leanings changed?
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Cost and complexity aside, Fractal Audio. Hands down the best and most versatile tones I've ever heard. But yea, costly and complex.
    Last tube amp I owned was a Mark V. Loved it at 1/2 power. If I ever bought another it would be the 25w version.

when I was young I ran an ADA into a JCM800 50w, with pedals in front and a noise gate. That was a killer combo for rock/metal.

I was recently in the same dilemma. Was looking for a tube amp that still sounded decent at low volumes. Saw a smoking deal on a Fender gtx 50 modeling amp and have been really enjoying it. I can create tones that I would never personally purchase a single pedal for. But I have discovered a few that I likely will if/when I move back to a tube amp. I typically would use a compressor, some sort of overdrive and a looper. Now I'd add an octave pedal for looping bass lines, a flanger and delay. YMMV, but for now I'm glad I took the plunge into the modeling amp world.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app