Page 708 of 810 FirstFirst ... 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 ... LastLast
Results 17,676 to 17,700 of 20243
  1. #17676
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    10,813
    I don't have an answer for you, but IMO the question would be what was your reaction to the first two? I haven't had the booster yet either, but for me the first Moderna was a nothing burger except for a sore arm, and the second was like a bad hangover. I don't race anymore, but if I did, I'd probably be fine with a week buffer.

  2. #17677
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    14,640
    The first shot absolutely wrecked me. Like 10 days of sweats, feeling like shit, insane dreams, body aches the whole thing. Some say that kind of reaction from the first shot meant I already had it.....which I believe cause I got super fucking sick (and a coworker also did and ended up in the hospital) in Jan 2020 "When there is no way we could have had Covid" after working in the house of a bunch of sick Americans who had been living abroad and came to MT for the holidays.

    The second shot was 3 days. The fatigue was like a month. Despite training/racing and feeling overall OK all this year I have also felt pretty "off" ever since the vaccines from time to time.

    IDK

    All the shit about those vaccinated athletes with heart problems now kinda has me freaked.

  3. #17678
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I'm preparing for some attacks here:

    I'm an athlete that trains and races at a fairly high level these days and I'm kinda getting freaked about getting the booster. Scheduled for over a week from now. I had Pfizers back in March.
    Are you concerned about myocarditis?
    "You're young and you got your health, what do you want with a job?"

  4. #17679
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    8,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I'm an athlete that trains and races at a fairly high level these days
    Expert level skier who identifies as libertarian?

  5. #17680
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

    All the shit about those vaccinated athletes with heart problems now kinda has me freaked.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2SK160

    https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL2N2NW1BX

  6. #17681
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,679
    You might want to read up on the possible long-term cardiac effects of actual Covid. Not an issue, perhaps, if you're socially isolating yourself to protect your elite-level aerobic capacity, but otherwise worth considering.

    My bit of anecdotal: Finally 2.5 years out from a broken fib, I'm running more than ever, and my running times are the best they've been in at least a half a decade, I'd say utterly irrelevant to the two Moderna shots I had last Spring. Granted, how the Covid vax might affect someone with, say, a 33 minute 10K time, I'm not in a position to speculate about.


    I do get that some people have done rather badly with the vax (though certainly not as chilling as some stories about people with Covid); my wife spent the better (worse) part of a week suffering through at least one of her Moderna shots. And I know that's the kind of thing that can punch a hole in a serious training schedule. Weigh your options I guess. Personally, Covid scares me more.

  7. #17682
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,065

    To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

    https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-am-...ce-11634849777

    “Dr. Waxman was senior investigator on a study published in the medical journal Chest in August which found that patients who have recovered from Covid but had no heart or lung disease had markedly reduced aerobic capacity during invasive cardiopulmonary exercise testing, compared with controls. The problem was associated with impaired regulation of blood flow and an inability to use oxygen efficiently, causing patients to feel fatigue, shortness of breath and lightheadedness, and to hyperventilate during exercise.

    Dr. Waxman says the researchers believe that the Covid-19 virus triggers an autoimmune response that causes damage to the small nerve fibers that regulate blood vessels. These fibers also regulate other functions in the cardiovascular and gastrointestinal systems.”

    Here’s the journal article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8354807/
    “Persistent Exertional Intolerance After COVID-19”
    “Interpretation

    Patients who have recovered from COVID-19 without cardiopulmonary disease [they had “mild” symptoms] demonstrate a marked reduction in peak VO2 [compared to a control group] from a peripheral rather than a central cardiac limit, along with an exaggerated hyperventilatory response during exercise.”

  8. #17683
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,754
    Talking about personal covid vaccine side effects was soooooo early summer.

  9. #17684
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    关你屁事
    Posts
    4,582
    Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Since I'm posting, Xi and Chi are distinct Greek letters. Used them both in engineer school. For what, I don't remember.
    it’s best not to remember undergrad frat partys

  10. #17685
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    7,369
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    it’s best not to remember undergrad frat partys
    I remember... Strike a match and say the entire Greek alphabet before it burns the fingers..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  11. #17686
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    15,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    The first shot absolutely wrecked me. Like 10 days of sweats, feeling like shit, insane dreams, body aches the whole thing. Some say that kind of reaction from the first shot meant I already had it.....which I believe cause I got super fucking sick (and a coworker also did and ended up in the hospital) in Jan 2020 "When there is no way we could have had Covid" after working in the house of a bunch of sick Americans who had been living abroad and came to MT for the holidays.

    The second shot was 3 days. The fatigue was like a month. Despite training/racing and feeling overall OK all this year I have also felt pretty "off" ever since the vaccines from time to time.

    IDK

    All the shit about those vaccinated athletes with heart problems now kinda has me freaked.
    You think you probably had COVID because of your reaction to the first dose of Moderna's vaccine. If that's the case, I would also attribute your athletic performance issues to having COVID and not the vaccine.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  12. #17687
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    14,640
    I had the Pfizer shots not Moderna.

    I will probably do a new VO2 max test this winter with my coach and I am sure my numbers have improved. I had a kick ass season. Sometimes my chest hurts randomly. I went to the Dr about it over the summer and he did an ekg and bloodword and said everything looks fine. More than likely I am just being psychosomatic (not sure if that's the correct use of that word) since I heard all this crap about athletes having heart problems from covid and/or vaccines.

    Pretty sure I'm gonna get my booster. I have to fly to the east coast for Xmas and besides my mom everyone else at any of the xmas stuff will be unvaccinated.

  13. #17688
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    10,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I had the Pfizer shots not Moderna.

    I will probably do a new VO2 max test this winter with my coach and I am sure my numbers have improved. I had a kick ass season. Sometimes my chest hurts randomly. I went to the Dr about it over the summer and he did an ekg and bloodword and said everything looks fine. More than likely I am just being psychosomatic (not sure if that's the correct use of that word) since I heard all this crap about athletes having heart problems from covid and/or vaccines.

    Pretty sure I'm gonna get my booster. I have to fly to the east coast for Xmas and besides my mom everyone else at any of the xmas stuff will be unvaccinated.
    So you’re worried about getting the booster but you’re going to Christmas on the east coast with a bunch of unvaccinated people and will probably get the booster?

    Your doctor said everything is fine, you had a great season but something is off? It’s pretty normal to feel some fatigue after a long hard cycling season. Do you suffer from anxiety?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  14. #17689
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    4,343
    Antivaxxers are so weird. The guy that owns Camp 4 coffee here in CB is a well known prepper. He has one of those cabins up by the reno-flag-bear-deadman trailhead stocked with a year's worth of ammo and MRE's. He's ready for the zombie apocalypse. What we're dealing with now is probably as close to that as we'll ever get, but he won't get a simple shot. So weird. In a related matter, anyone know of a really kick ass half-caff whole bean provider?

  15. #17690
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,523
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    So weird. In a related matter, anyone know of a really kick ass half-caff whole bean provider?
    PM tgapp

    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Pretty sure I'm gonna get my booster. I have to fly to the east coast for Xmas and besides my mom everyone else at any of the xmas stuff will be unvaccinated.
    That's your answer, then. If you could make a case that you would reduce your chance of an exposure to some truly insignificant value it might be worth thinking about the downsides of a vaccine. Otherwise it's just needless worrying because you know the odds of a problem are massively higher from disease (maybe call it 1000x--can you get to 0.1% chance of exposure?). As MU suggests, worrying about really unlikely side effects might up your chances for a psychosomatic reaction--the side effects in the placebo group were significant.

  16. #17691
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    15,891
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Antivaxxers are so weird. The guy that owns Camp 4 coffee here in CB is a well known prepper. He has one of those cabins up by the reno-flag-bear-deadman trailhead stocked with a year's worth of ammo and MRE's. He's ready for the zombie apocalypse. What we're dealing with now is probably as close to that as we'll ever get, but he won't get a simple shot. So weird. In a related matter, anyone know of a really kick ass half-caff whole bean provider?
    you want a bag of coffee that has half caffeinated beans and half with the oil removed (i.e. decaf)?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  17. #17692
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    8,985
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Antivaxxers are so weird. The guy that owns Camp 4 coffee here in CB is a well known prepper. He has one of those cabins up by the reno-flag-bear-deadman trailhead stocked with a year's worth of ammo and MRE's. He's ready for the zombie apocalypse. What we're dealing with now is probably as close to that as we'll ever get, but he won't get a simple shot. So weird. In a related matter, anyone know of a really kick ass half-caff whole bean provider?
    Is his the weird-ass property with the aspen-log/dirt berms all around the front of the property with strange shit planted on the berm?

  18. #17693
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    4,343
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Is his the weird-ass property with the aspen-log/dirt berms all around the front of the property with strange shit planted on the berm?
    Correct. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%BCgelkultur

    And yes, AA, we switched to half caff after my wife was injured and came to like it. Don't get as jittery.

  19. #17694
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    8,985
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I wondered what was going on with that shit...

  20. #17695
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    15,891
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Correct. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%BCgelkultur

    And yes, AA, we switched to half caff after my wife was injured and came to like it. Don't get as jittery.
    I've been getting two bags of the same coffee bean type and doing the mix manually prior to brewing. For example, two bags of sumatra but one is decalf and one is not.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  21. #17696
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    917
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cry_vaccine.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	394921

  22. #17697
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

    Pretty sure I'm gonna get my booster. I have to fly to the east coast for Xmas and besides my mom everyone else at any of the xmas stuff will be unvaccinated.
    As a athlete long covid can wreck your career in a week

  23. #17698
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    valley of the heart's delight
    Posts
    1,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I'm preparing for some attacks here:

    I'm an athlete that trains and races at a fairly high level these days and I'm kinda getting freaked about getting the booster. Scheduled for over a week from now. I had Pfizers back in March.
    I read little on the athlete issue and my thinking might be poisoned by internet news. I don't train rigorously, though I try to get a good cardio workout every few days. I got my second shot from Stanford, and they said to take it easy for a few days. This makes sense to me... if one did get unlucky and have cardiovascular issues, the first recommendation is going to be rest anyway. Working an injured heart or lung makes things worse (wish I'd known this after a lung injury earlier in life). Work a few rest days into your training. If you've overtrained, the break may improve your performance.

    As for booster benefits, there's a chance the 2 closely spaced pfizers resulted in an incomplete immune response, and getting a booster now will broaden your T-cell response. That response happens over weeks. The booster also strongly boosts your circulating antibodies. That response happens over days. The antibodies are thought to contribute strongly to efficacy against infection, boosting you back to 90% or so (in studies). The T-cells are thought to contribute to the lasting high efficacy against severe disease, and the boost takes you from really good (85ish%), to even better (90 somethingish). The virus expert I listen to most (Vincent Raccianello), says why get a boost, the studies show protection against severe disease remains high. I look at the same data and say the boost dramatically reduces the chance of symptomatic infection, and also cuts the low risk of severe covid in half.

    That's to say, maybe time your booster/break to start a few days prior to travel, and resume your training on arrival. That gets you most of the antibody benefit dialed up before travel. And your rest period overlaps travel when training is difficult anyway. I'd treat the booster as an intense workout - i.e. easy workout the prior day. Training at a high level means you're tracking a bunch of vitals - those will tell you when you're recovered and ready to work hard. Give post-boost rest an extra day if you're paranoid?

    Surely there's some exercise physiologists and other trainers associated with universities or pro-sports who get Covid questions and have intelligent answers more informed than mine. And may know of some actual studies (if any exist). Maybe your trainer has contacts/references.

  24. #17699
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,182
    48 hours after my booster + flu shots and I was back on the slopes. Well, slope. I was a little out of breath but otherwise fine. Went back up again yesterday, and was totally fine, no more shortness of breath, back to 100%.

  25. #17700
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    25,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I had the Pfizer shots not Moderna.


    Pretty sure I'm gonna get my booster. I have to fly to the east coast for Xmas and besides my mom everyone else at any of the xmas stuff will be unvaccinated.
    I'm sure your mom/ family are all wonderful but I just wouldn't go cuz its still possible to get Covid

    but the chances of ending up in ICU/ dying are greatly reduced
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •