Page 331 of 929 FirstFirst ... 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,275 of 23206

What do you think would happen if Biden and other senior Democrats flipped their messaging and started saying "All freedom-loving Americans should definitely _not_ get vaccinated! It's unsafe and unproven! Definitely do not get the vaccine!" Would the idiocracy sniff out a plot to increase their chance of death by Covid and try to own the libs by getting vaxxed?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    A friend of mine who's a lobbyist was quoted recently in a magazine article: “You cannot hammer them into changing their minds. You cannot force them into changing their minds. You cannot embarrass them into changing their minds. You can only educate them into changing their minds.” And, he adds, “It takes a lot of coffee.”
    Sadly, it's a case where the anti-vaxxers have to learn the hard way, which equals death or becoming hospitalized. A mild case of the COVID doesn't serve as a learning moment for the anti-vax crowd. Heck, there's a small subset of anti-vaxers who lose someone to COVID and think they died of something else. Because COVID is a hoax.

Until science finds a cure for stupid, stupid people going to do stupid things.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    These are the traditional age ranges used by the FDA to guide clinical trial design. The 12 year old cutoff is in part due to it being the average age of puberty for both boys and girls (obviously there's a range).

· Preterm newborn infants
    · Term newborn infants (0 to 27 days)
    · Infants and toddlers (28 days to 23 months)
    · Children (2 to 11 years)
    · Adolescents (12 to 16-18 years (dependent on region))
    Much appreciated. The ages are trail (prior) based.. thats what I was looking for...Hoping the 2-11 comes sooner rather than later personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Sadly, it's a case where the anti-vaxxers have to learn the hard way, which equals death or becoming hospitalized. A mild case of the COVID doesn't serve as a learning moment for the anti-vax crowd. Heck, there's a small subset of anti-vaxers who lose someone to COVID and think they died of something else. Because COVID is a hoax.

Until science finds a cure for stupid, stupid people going to do stupid things.
    I think the tide is turning and increasingly non-vaxxed will be a difficult status to maintain. More and more employers requiring it, it's only a matter of time until insurance companies penalize it, businesses requiring it.

It won't get them all to change their mind but every arm added helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    "The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"

Les Claypool
    inventor of velcro
    I thought Les plays bass & sings in Primus.

Multnomah Co back to indoor masking indoors starting Friday
    https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...ng-friday.html

In order to educate someone the information has to come from someone the subject is willing to accept as an authority, and a greater authority than those asserting the opposite. Therein lies the problem. Very few of us construct knowledge out of whole cloth. We accept that the earth is round because were told so by people we respected. Most people get their political, social, cultural and religious beliefs from their parents and other authority figures they encounter in their formative years, not from a sober-minded rational examination of facts. As adults we accept information we receive from our tribal leaders, not from people of the other tribe--no matter how respectful they are.

If I were of a conspiratorial frame of mine, which I am, I might think that the cynical leaders of the anti-vaxing covid deniers were hoping to provoke an authoritarian response from the government and corporate America--vaccine passports, mask mandates, renewed shutdowns with economic collapse--in the hopes of inciting their followers to rise up. Look how the right in CA has used Newsom's strong response to the pandemic to build a plausibly successful recall movement against a governor who was elected with 62% of the vote. (And the possible outcome if the recall succeeds is truly frightening--46 candidates running to fill out the term and whichever one gets the most votes, no matter how small the plurality, wins.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    We accept that the earth is round because were told so by people we respected.
    Whoa whoa whoa, what’s this “we” shit?

the suggestible are getting the message from leadership

"Podcast king Joe Rogan says vaccine passports move US 'closer to dictatorship'"
    https://thehill.com/changing-america...passports-move

[eta, buster, I lasted 5mins...]

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    But drinking age is a law.

What these people really need to convince them is a cobranded vaccine. Let Trump slap his name on the Pfizer vaccine and those fuckers would get more shots than Splat.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    he's kind of a model for the discussion as he is a bad faith mouthpiece that is filling heads with bullshit

Buster, i do appreciate your interest in keeping conversations civil -- it really is the high road & worthy of saying out loud every now & then as a reminder, as we all suffer from lapses
    i've appreciated the civil discussion, but i generally ignore the trolling on this board.

Eventually, there is going to need to a be point of reconciliation.

in my local community, i have been most appreciative of some of the alternative community leaders who have broadly shared about getting vaccinated, or getting COVID (mild breakthrough when many non-vaxed peers were more severe), or shared their hesitancy but are still getting vaccinated, etc. there were also some covid survivors, who were previously loud outspoken deniers, got severely infected (one was on a vent), and then did their best to persuade their peers to believe and understand the disease more and then get vaxed.

I thought this was funny.

Name:  vaccine passports.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  74.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Their names are Krista, Kayla, Kyla, and Kara. His wife's name is Karla. Krista (the antivax one) played in the Lingerie Football League. Kyla just opened up a store called KyKy's Kookies, but quickly changed the name after the possibly risky KKK alliteration was pointed out to them.
    Can we get back to the thread drift? Vax is boring

I’d bang the mom long before the unfortunate fat daughter
    She got dads jeans
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Lennon Claypool Delirium.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa, what’s this “we” shit?
    Yeah, I wasn't talking to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Maybe you can’t change their minds. The disinformation didn’t form in a vacuum. It grew out of frustration that the messaging from major news sources and forward thinking politicians didn’t align with their beliefs. Racists don’t want to be told that racism is wrong. Misogynists don’t want to be told that misogyny is wrong. People that profit from the destruction of the earth don’t want to be told that their way of life is causing harm. A lot of the progressive messaging is disrespectful by default because it inherently says that some people are doing it wrong. The us vs them infighting has grown out of that because it’s a great diversion that allows the people in power to get away with more. It makes it easy to push the extremes to the forefront so that we forget that “those people” are fellow humans, our friends and neighbors, struggling with the same shit that we are.
    Excellent point..I agree the media is one of the biggest issues. "Media"

One of the people I thought would never post the "go get your vax for the good of the people" came out on Facebook just today. I was shocked and happy. Maybe all hope isn't lost.

Fyi, if it wasn't evident, I lean right, but wasn't a Trump voter. Sorry for poliass.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    In medicine, 12 years is usually considered the age that separates children from adults physiologically. Yes there are outliers but in general it’s a good reference.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Can I ask this? Has this age changed over the years? It seems girls reach puberty much earlier than in the past? Maybe that's just "rumor", but I remember barely knowing what a period was at 12. Yes we had sex education at about 7th/8th grade. That's right what my daughter is going in to, yet she's had her first period nearly a year. You're right though, she was 12 and a bit when she got it first.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    That's Bertrand Russell. Easy to mix them up.

He also invented the solar powered sailboat. Quite a fellow, really.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    ...increasingly non-vaxxed will be a difficult status to maintain. More and more employers requiring it, it's only a matter of time until insurance companies penalize it, businesses requiring it.
    My take as well.

"Give me convenience, or give me death!"

What I find hard to believe is that these anti-vaxxers have the gall to show up at the hospital and expect to be treated by the same healthcare workers they have been disbelieving and disparaging for the past year and a half. At least have the courage of your convictions and tough it out at home. It's just the flu after all.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    What I find hard to believe is that these anti-vaxxers have the gall to show up at the hospital and expect to be treated by the same healthcare workers they have been disbelieving and disparaging for the past year and a half. At least have the courage of your convictions and tough it out at home. It's just the flu after all.
    I read this from a small town physician. He asks any anti-vaxxer or anti-masker how community spirited they are. Will the anti-vaxxer/anti-masker be willing to volunteer for two 12-hour shifts in a covid ward at a local hospital, ... unvaxxed and with no mask. The MD says so far not one person has taken him up on the offer.

Wish I could remember where I came across this, it was a great read.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

As a healthcare worker, this is the camp I’m in. We’re having to do surgery on a lot more COVID positive people and it taxes our resources, the extra work and time we have to put into these patients is untenable. They are all unvaccinated.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There's a real deep seated panic that sets in when oxygen levels drop, lungs are filling up with fluid, and their breathing rate increases. They forget all about those comments they made, those theories they believed, their confidence that they had done the research by reading curated headlines posted in echo chambers.

It gets even worse when they are told to facetime their family and tell them that they are about to go on a ventilator.

Like finding god in a foxhole