Page 657 of 929 FirstFirst ... 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 ... LastLast
Results 16,401 to 16,425 of 23206
    Unvaccinated Texans make up vast majority of COVID-19 cases and deaths this year

“Out of nearly 29,000 Texans who have died from COVID-related illnesses since mid-January, only 8% of them were fully vaccinated against the virus, according to a report detailing the Texas Department of State Health Services’ findings.

And more than half of those deaths among vaccinated people were among Texans older than 75, the age group that is most vulnerable to the virus, the study shows.“

Only 3% of 1.5 million positive COVID-19 tests examined since mid-January occurred in people who were already vaccinated.

About 53% of the Texas population is fully vaccinated.

https://www.kwtx.com/2021/11/08/stat...ths-this-year/

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    So I need the experts to weigh in here…..Front page of the paper today says NM is now #5 per capita in the country for COVID infections. Case numbers, hospitalizations, and deaths are all going nowhere but up. This in spite of the fact that we rank twelfth in the country for vaccinations, and are one of six states remaining with an indoor mask mandate…The head of the DOH was quoted as saying he has no idea what is driving this…..I’m about ready to put my family back on lockdown, FFS. What says the collective?
    I'm recalling the last big wave to hit AZ and NM was driven by the low income, dilapidated Native American living conditions. Most of the cases and deaths were happening there.. Like nursing homes with far fewer prevention efforts, poor access to healthcare places, etc.... Can you check rates by counties and see if there's something like that spiking it overall?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

C'mon Seano and Bmac, it is the situation in Maine that is driving the numbers. Everyone on TGR knows that.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

In the booster club. Free clinic. No one gave any Fs about demographics - they were just happy you were getting jabbed. I had mild sore/chills/hot starting about 15hrs in, slept it off and feel great in the morning.

So I need the experts to weigh in here…..Front page of the paper today says NM is now #5 per capita in the country for COVID infections. Case numbers, hospitalizations, and deaths are all going nowhere but up. This in spite of the fact that we rank twelfth in the country for vaccinations, and are one of six states remaining with an indoor mask mandate…The head of the DOH was quoted as saying he has no idea what is driving this…..I’m about ready to put my family back on lockdown, FFS. What says the collective?
    I think the simplest explanation is that Covid is a very contagious disease and local to state level outbreaks can occur even in fairly highly vaccinated areas. It's just the nature of the beast. What the high vaccination rate should do, though, is keep the numbers of hospitalizations and deaths from spiking like they would have otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think the simplest explanation is that Covid is a very contagious disease and local to state level outbreaks can occur even in fairly highly vaccinated areas. It's just the nature of the beast. What the high vaccination rate should do, though, is keep the numbers of hospitalizations and deaths from spiking like they would have otherwise.
    Ya the latest number I can remember is 96.4% of fatalities are unvaccinated…What worries me is the Public Health Order is set to expire this Friday, and our Gov has shown she will absolutely tighten shit down if the numbers are bad……I’m fucking sick of this timeline…
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

At this point any re-tightening should begin and end with mask and vaccine mandates.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    At this point any re-tightening should begin and end with mask and vaccine mandates.
    Mostly agree but adding that indoor dining and bars where masks can't be worn 100% of the time should be a no go. Anything indoors that you can do while masked shouldn't be a problem, and even if so vaxxed keeps most of them from being serious.

Anything outdoors with people reasonably spread out shouldn't require masks.. assuming most are also vaxxed at this point..

Hmmmmm.....................

Covid-19 vaccine debate takes a strange turn

Room for debate. The vast majority of doctors and the public health community is on board with vaccines. But support is not unanimous. It is not completely settled within the National Institutes of Health, which includes Dr. Anthony Fauci's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, according to a Sunday report in the Wall Street Journal.
    The paper profiles the NIH's Dr. Matthew Memoli, a senior researcher who disagrees with the country's current all-in approach on vaccines. He's applied for a religious exemption for himself and feels the country should be pushing the vaccine to at-risk communities like seniors rather than giving it to as many people as possible.
    He'll take part in a debate streamed to NIH employees, according to the Journal, and he is apparently willing to leave his job rather than get the Covid-19 shot.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Hmmmmm.....................

Covid-19 vaccine debate takes a strange turn

Room for debate. The vast majority of doctors and the public health community is on board with vaccines. But support is not unanimous. It is not completely settled within the National Institutes of Health, which includes Dr. Anthony Fauci's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, according to a Sunday report in the Wall Street Journal.
    The paper profiles the NIH's Dr. Matthew Memoli, a senior researcher who disagrees with the country's current all-in approach on vaccines. He's applied for a religious exemption for himself and feels the country should be pushing the vaccine to at-risk communities like seniors rather than giving it to as many people as possible.
    He'll take part in a debate streamed to NIH employees, according to the Journal, and he is apparently willing to leave his job rather than get the Covid-19 shot.
    Does he not know we already did that and now have more than enough for everybody??

seano - the key to that headline is #5 per capita -
    given New Mexico's sparse population ( #44 ), it is easy to climb that list on a nationwide basis when the state has less that 2.5Million people and almost half of then are in five cities.

the county I consider home had a similar report last year, but when I penciled out the math, Two positive tests put us in the RED report of 200/100,000 people.

still there seems to be signs of a potential surge -
    I am concerned for holiday travel ( Thanksgiving and Christmas ) with potentially waning immunity for those vaccinated early in the Summer.

I urge anyone who was vaccinated more than six months ago to seek a booster, and anyone who is concerned about the possibility of transmitting the virus to elderly to encourage the elderly to get a booster And get a booster themselves.

my Opinion is schools are a significant factor in the spread of the virus. I was told everyone on the volleyball team tested positive.
    . . . the players have contact with their opponents, and the players' family members, and the family members have contact with others in their daily lives.

( Please ) take the protective measures you feel are necessary to protect yourself and your family ; there are a lot of steps that can be taken before an actual 'lock-down' ( even self imposed ).

I do think we need to continue to be open-minded about what the future might bring as future developments occur - we still don't know enough about long-term immunity, and the possibility of future variants ,,, to dismiss future possibilities.

But to that headline, #5 per capita is a little sensational in my Opinion... tj

( the map is cases / 100000 for the week of October 17, 2021 )

Name:  350px-COVID-19_outbreak_USA_per_capita_cases_map.svg.png
Views: 482
Size:  33.3 KB
    Last edited by skiJ; 11-09-2021 at 01:50 PM.

regarding doctor Memoli, perhaps his upcoming universal flu vax is heading towards utter failure and he's trying to pre-position for a job a the Hoover Institute.

Regarding new cases: anybody know when/if there will be differentiating data about whether new cases are vaxed versus unvaxed. At some point, it's going to make a difference with non-sterilizing vaccines, right?

I'm taking the 2 11yo's to a walk-in in about an hour. hopefully, they'll get flu shots, too, and I will be able to get boosted and a flu shot. Tomorrow's kinda a busy work day for me, though, and 12-32 hours post moderna #2 was pretty rough for me....

got boosted today for Moderna (after Pfizer)

doc didn't think it was necessary for my age group & exposure, tho he conceded spending time with my 80yo folks seemed like a reasonable rationale for getting a booster

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I'm taking the 2 11yo's to a walk-in in about an hour. hopefully, they'll get flu shots, too, and I will be able to get boosted and a flu shot. Tomorrow's kinda a busy work day for me, though, and 12-32 hours post moderna #2 was pretty rough for me....
    failed! our county's website lists a local clinic that's giving 5-11yo vaxes, walk-in or by appt, every afternoon. I called yesterday morning to make an appt and was told to just show-up and there was no need for an appt. i took off work and took the littles after school. the clinic told me that they were not issuing 5-11 yo vax until nov 17 by appt, and that myturn.ca.gov was a better resource of how the clinic was functioning. at home, looked at myturn.ca.gov and that clinic is not listed.... <grrrr> i called the clinic to see if i could make an appt, and I was told that they could walk-in at the clinic on Saturday morning (no appt needed). Our ped group has not received their requested vax. The County is having a drive-in clinic on the 16th. One pharmacy in my area (there are 10 pharmacies that I am aware of in the area) are apparently providing and scheduling vaxes for kids.

I failed attempt 1 for the booster last Monday. They told me to come back this Thursday. Too soon as my 2nd was May 11th so I can't get booster until Nov 11. It's Vet's Day school holiday so I'll take my retail working daughter to get her booster too.

Earlier I had queried the pros here on their opinion on vaccine spacing for kids.

Monica Ghandi, who as regular TRG vaccine thread refreshers know has sometimes been wrong and posted stuff not backed by facts and now she has sort of apologized non specifically about getting ahead of some data with some of her twitters, recommends 6 to 8 week interval.

3 reasons

1. antibody response and t cell response better and more durable.

2. Canadian study showed 92% protection with longer spacing and 82% for closer.

3. Myocarditis in males was seen less in Canada with longer spacing. Myocarditis appears dose dependent so purportedly spreading them out may be safer.

I'd point out nobody has yet died from myocarditis from the shots, so keep that tiny risk in perspective.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2021...-covid-vaccine

In the end we have scheduled our appointment for 21 days out. My daughter and wife just want to get it done. I think we will continue to discuss. Just thankful to already be 72 hours out from dose 1.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Earlier I had queried the pros here on their opinion on vaccine spacing for kids.

Monica Ghandi, who as regular TRG vaccine thread refreshers know has sometimes been wrong and posted stuff not backed by facts and now she has sort of apologized non specifically about getting ahead of some data with some of her twitters, recommends 6 to 8 week interval.

3 reasons
    I'm way less qualified than she is, though I feel she's been often over-optimistic (nice words for I don't trust her). However, other experts agree on the longer spacing, and cite the short spacing as a compromise to make the trials and rollout faster. They say that without pressure, the trialed vaccine schedule would have been longer between doses. Similar to other vaccines.

However, for kids getting their shot this week or next, it's possible to be "fully vaccinated" for Christmas (and the likely winter surge). (Today is 6ish weeks to Christmas). If kids' immunity wanes like adults, the trade-off is less protection in spring and especially summer. A second advantage is, if kids' boosters are approved at 6 months, you might be able to get the boost in early June, setting up for the summer surge and activities.

I don't have a strong feel how bad Covid is for kids. They are very unlikely to die. The possibility for long term effects should be well documented and quantified by now, but I don't see much for kids, or adults. I haven't looked hard. What I do see looks scary, reports of 5% or 10% of working adults unable to return to prior responsibilities post-Covid. Also a high rate of neuro issues in a study that looked thorough. Could be a biased sample and not that bad. I hope.

Stolen from Reddit

She has “resting Karen face”

I agree with that take and on Ghandi. Daughter will be 12 in March. It could be the sooner she is eligible for a booster the better.

Your local epidemiologist had a live webinar tonight on the kids vaccine that was absolutely excellent. They did address the interval question but as expected they didn't really give an answer due to a lack of solid evidence

Regardless, everybody with an interest or questions about the ped vaccine should watch it if/when it becomes available.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100053149454347

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Stolen from Reddit

She has “resting Karen face”

Looks like she's trying to decide to spit or swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

3 reasons

1. antibody response and t cell response better and more durable.

2. Canadian study showed 92% protection with longer spacing and 82% for closer.

3. Myocarditis in males was seen less in Canada with longer spacing. Myocarditis appears dose dependent so purportedly spreading them out may be safer.
    you realize them Canucks were not rocket biologists eh ?

the reason they went long is cuz they didnt have enough vaccine

SO vaccinate more syrup suckers with jab #1 and go long on # 2
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    got boosted today for Moderna (after Pfizer)

doc didn't think it was necessary for my age group & exposure, tho he conceded spending time with my 80yo folks seemed like a reasonable rationale for getting a booster
    Report back on your body’s response. My booster knocked me down hard for two days.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Report back on your body’s response. My booster knocked me down hard for two days.
    Pfizer or moderna?

My wife and I have been a bit slow scheduling our boosters because of life and scheduling around the potential for side effects similar to our second doses. Now, shit is booking up, especially with one of the main vax places in our area, CVS, being closed due to flooding.

Hopefully you can get around this paywall
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html

And look at the hot spot counties. Mostly on the perimeter, so you get bleed over problems from TX, AZ, CO.

The case rate in the Navajo Nation is also high despite their incredibly high vax rate. From what I’ve read it’s Dine’ bringing it from outside into their traditionally tight, multi-generational living quarters and less than ideal sanitation. Tough to contain spread in that environment.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Pfizer or moderna?

My wife and I have been a bit slow scheduling our boosters because of life and scheduling around the potential for side effects similar to our second doses. Now, shit is booking up, especially with one of the main vax places in our area, CVS, being closed due to flooding.
    Pfizer for all three.
    OTOH Ms TBS had zero reaction to any of her three jabs.