Page 42 of 929 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 23206
    In Colorado they are not allowed to check ID's. Pure honor system. It's a nuanced decision, but it is a move that I think will just roll those sticks out.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Honestly, genius. All for it.

The vaccines are thawed out once someone makes an appointment. I've heard mulitple times now that people make appointments and flake, fucking assholes/no excuse for that. So, if they don't show, the vax get tossed in the garbage. Better to use them on anyone and everyone before tossing.
    Yeah we heard from a friend that if you call vax sites around 1-2pm they can tell you whether they'll have shots available after 3 from earlier appointments that didn't show.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Japan has an average age of 45.9 years old, USA has 37.4. Data has shown that age has a massive impact on COVID symptoms.
    Uhh, you're kinda proving my point there, buddy. COVID DOES effect older people more harshly, yet Japan has a significantly older average age and is ALSO doing far better than the US on COVID? Huh. Ya don't say?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Shut up about your healthy miracle diet. This is the vaccine thread anyway. Diets aren’t vaccines.
    Not a miracle diet. It's a way of eating that an entire major country does and countless people around the world has adopted. No coincidence about all the "Blue Zones" and utter lack of obesity over there. You're right, though. This is the vaccine thread. Just thought that since people are trying to protect themselves via the vaccine, we should ALSO be thinking about the other ways we can protect ourselves, ie general health. We SHOULD be having that conversation, right? If not, we're totally missing a vital component in protecting ones self.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Do you have any data to back up either assertion?
    Here's a good read that backs up my thinking re: fermented foods: http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Docum...ntion-2016.pdf
    Within there are linked a ton more published studies on the matter. Lots of data on how such foods help with fending off respiratory illnesses.

https://www.sacurrent.com/Flavor/arc...in-san-antonio
    "fermented cabbage can boost immunity and help decrease levels of ACE2, an enzyme in the cell membrane mostly found in lungs that is used by COVID-19 as an entry point into the body."

My family with our German roots is also big into sauerkraut, a staple at my house. We also love kimchi. Yeah, our house kinda stinks sometimes. Haha.

I assume you are aware that the first thing you cited doesn't appear to have been pubished/peer reviewed, and the second while published has hardly been cited and the conclusion of that study acknowledges that there is nothing even close to definitive about whatever link there may be. So there may be nothing--no one knows, and from what I could find there isn't a strong enough case so far for anyone to have continued looking at this. (I assume that what you quoted is true, as the authors assert, but they don't actually even say that decreasing the level of the enzyme on its own would necessarily impact immunity.)
    [quote][//quote]

Anybody else getting a puregravity vibe from Austin/MF? It won't be long before he's claiming the North American laser squirrel spreads the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Here's a good read that backs up my thinking re: fermented foods:
    So no, then?

To put is another way, your assertions require that the Japanese have sterilizing immunity, such that not only do they do better against the disease but the virus does not spread (aka they have less cases).

Just so we're clear, you understand what a virus is, right? I mean generally--in terms of it being a very small physical object with very specific chemical makeup which uses human (or mink, etc) cells to copy itself. It seems like the fundamentally discrete nature of the pathogen is being ignored somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Just so we're clear, you understand what a virus is, right? I mean generally--in terms of it being a very small physical object with very specific chemical makeup which uses human (or mink, etc) cells to copy itself. It seems like the fundamentally discrete nature of the pathogen is being ignored somehow.
    Feels oddly familiar

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    Got it at 9pm, fairly mild symptoms overnight. Then today I was wiped. It sorta crept up, no immediate stuff. Could have also been a bit of the getting crushed in the bumps by a ski bunny yesterday, but tge chills were insane today..
    Got some ibuprofen down (18 hours post dose) and feeling slightly human again.
    That said, I may miss my 1st work shift in 4 years tonight.
    any updates?

My arm a little sore, otherwise no side effects.
    All body aches are accounted for, from other causes.
    north bound horse.

So no, then?

To put is another way, your assertions require that the Japanese have sterilizing immunity, such that not only do they do better against the disease but the virus does not spread (aka they have less cases).

Not saying they have sterilizing immunity. And just because a virus is exactly as you say it is, does not mean that our bodies (and our microbiome) don't have methods of self-defense against such viruses. That's been my point. I thought it was clear at this point that some people's bodies are better equipped to fight off viruses like COVID-19, thus the whole "comorbidity" issue vs people who are exposed yet never even get it. But never mind any of THAT silliness cuz...

Judging by the TGR science, I guess it's settled then. The only reason Japan's doing better than us is masks. Couldn't have ANYTHING to do with nutrition and health. You heard 'em boys! Everyone go back to gorging on Twinkies, Hot Pockets, and McDs 3x/day. Diabetes be damned! Just wear a mask and social distance, but eat whatever your heart desires and pop all the Rx pills your doctor wants you to choke down to fight all your inevitable diseases. That's all ya need. That should help people battle COVID!

Not saying they have sterilizing immunity. And just because a virus is exactly as you say it is, does not mean that our bodies (and our microbiome) don't have methods of self-defense against such viruses. That's been my point. I thought it was clear at this point that some people's bodies are better equipped to fight off viruses like COVID-19, thus the whole "comorbidity" issue vs people who are exposed yet never even get it. But never mind any of THAT silliness cuz...

Judging by the TGR science, I guess it's settled then. The only reason Japan's doing better than us is masks. Couldn't have ANYTHING to do with nutrition and health. You heard 'em boys! Everyone go back to gorging on Twinkies, Hot Pockets, and McDs 3x/day. Diabetes be damned! Just wear a mask and social distance, but eat whatever your heart desires and pop all the Rx pills your doctor wants you to choke down to fight all your inevitable diseases. That's all ya need. That should help people battle COVID!
    No not just masks. Also social distancing and effective contact tracing, and a populace willing to listen and abide when asked to step up and follow the science. All of those would be easier than getting your fat momma to lose weight.

It's not TGR science. It just Science. Nations and regions under constant threat of bird flu, Sars1, swine Flu, Mers, etc have little problem following the simple directives regardless of how thin or fat their population is.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Not saying they have sterilizing immunity.
    In that case you must see that the reason they have less cases is that they've had less transmission and/or better border control/less imported cases. All the things that can be done to reduce symptoms and mortality are unrelated to case numbers.

Attempted irony fails: If this disease was deadlier and more painful we would have been more thorough about stopping transmission and it would have died out. We spent 6 months trying to convince people that a virus could go viral. If we'd done a better job of improving our health it would have become more pervasive with all of the ongoing costs and health impacts that implies. So you're not wrong about the value of individual healthy decisions, but on a macro basis more faith in vitamin D leads to more infections. More twinkies do not.

In that case you must see that the reason they have less cases is that they've had less transmission and/or better border control/less imported cases. All the things that can be done to reduce symptoms and mortality are unrelated to case numbers.

Attempted irony fails: If this disease was deadlier and more painful we would have been more thorough about stopping transmission and it would have died out. We spent 6 months trying to convince people that a virus could go viral. If we'd done a better job of improving our health it would have become more pervasive with all of the ongoing costs and health impacts that implies. So you're not wrong about the value of individual healthy decisions, but on a macro basis more faith in vitamin D leads to more infections. More twinkies do not.
    Good points. Really.

I'd be remiss however if I didn't mention another distinct cultural advantage the Japanese have over us: CLEANLINESS. Shoes are strictly verboten within the homes (another thing I've adopted). Their streets are clean. Their subways sparkling (compare that to the SF Muni if you wanna puke). Singapore's another great example of next level cleanliness. Even bowing versus high fiving/shaking hands has to help to some degree. In my extensive time over there, I never saw anyone hacking up a lung in public as would not be uncommon here. Just like spitting in public. (WTF is up with people who do that?) Hocking a loogie or dip spit in a parking lot.

I guess my overall point is that when comparing COVID cases and mortality from one country to another, there are a multitude of factors we need to be examining. Not only from a top down governmental approach, but even more importantly perhaps from a bottom up cultural standpoint. Diet, health, cleanliness, tolerance for gross bullshit, and yes, even masks as many of you point to. ALL of these items play some role in how well or poor a country is faring these days.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Ya, while our community has sucked at social distancing (based on everything I see when I'm out and about), I'm excited that the rollout is going smoothly. By the end of the week, we could have close to 10% vaccinated, while probably close to 15%-20% of people have already had it (using positive case numbers and knowing how many people simply haven't been getting tested.).
    Our IMT rocks.
    Some good people, and the Staff putting it together was great. Just waiting for shots.
    I should be at the end of 1B or beginning or 2... have a lot of critical staff that need their shots soon

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

This whole Asian diet and lifestyle derail is a reminiscent of every argument we have as a nation where doing anything regarding a hard problem that might slightly inconvenience someone, doesn't 100% solve the problem or might benefit someone else but not me is disregarded despite how dumb the argument is.

Gun control? Well, you will never get the ENTIRE population to make any changes so we can't do anything.
    Healthcare? Well, you won't get everyone to pay in, eat right, and I don't want to pay for someone elses bad habits, so we can't do anything. Beside, in Canada they have to wait or something. So we can't change anything.
    Climate change? Well, you will have to get everyone in electric cars and use LED lightbulbs and solving that low hanging fruit issue doesn't 100% solve the issue, so we can't do anything.

It's fucking stupid and we would still be banging rocks together if we listened to people like Montucky.

My 2 cents...Austin has never been a troll IME, and he’s just thinking out loud about the possible impact of general population health on pandemics. Yes he’s been refining his thesis on the fly. Big deal, that’s common here. I thought he went out of his way to make it clear he wasn’t falling into the trap Char rightfully points out is common these days. And he repeatedly acknowledged good counter arguments.

I feel like some of y’all have PTSD from puregravity’s endless ‘thoughts’, and as a result you may be going a little hard on Austin Fried.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    This whole Asian diet and lifestyle derail is a reminiscent of every argument we have as a nation where doing anything regarding a hard problem that might slightly inconvenience someone, doesn't 100% solve the problem or might benefit someone else but not me is disregarded despite how dumb the argument is.

Gun control? Well, you will never get the ENTIRE population to make any changes so we can't do anything.
    Healthcare? Well, you won't get everyone to pay in, eat right, and I don't want to pay for someone elses bad habits, so we can't do anything. Beside, in Canada they have to wait or something. So we can't change anything.
    Climate change? Well, you will have to get everyone in electric cars and use LED lightbulbs and solving that low hanging fruit issue doesn't 100% solve the issue, so we can't do anything.

It's fucking stupid and we would still be banging rocks together if we listened to people like Montucky.
    Evidently your reading and comprehension skills are lacking. If you set aside your blind hatred toward me for two seconds, you'd realize I'm proposing the exact opposite of what you THINK I am. I've literally been saying we SHOULD be looking at what others more successful than us are doing and be willing to see where we can do better. WTF are you even going on about with all the political red herrings? You sound like some here who baselessly call others racist in order to shut down their arguments. Sheesh...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Age stats for Japan are bogus, so there's that .
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    My 2 cents...Austin has never been a troll IME, and he’s just thinking out loud about the possible impact of general population health on pandemics. Yes he’s been refining his thesis on the fly. Big deal, that’s common here. I thought he went out of his way to make it clear he wasn’t falling into the trap Char rightfully points out is common these days. And he repeatedly acknowledged good counter arguments.

I feel like some of y’all have PTSD from puregravity’s endless ‘thoughts’, and as a result you may be going a little hard on Austin Fried.
    Thank you, fro. You're right. I'm absolutely not trolling and this whole last year HAS been kind of an endless stream of thinking out loud for me. Especially as we've all been isolated from society except for these very forums. I HAVE been refining my thesis on the fly. As has Dr. Fauci. As has the CDC. As has the W.H.O. As has literally everyone. "Masks are unnecessary." "Oh wait. Masks ARE necessary." "COVID survives on cardboard boxes for like a week." "Oh wait, no it doesn't." We've ALL been learning together as time goes on. I'm not above correction or realizing I was wrong about this or that. Also, recently been having some light bulb moments as to thinking deeper about the underlying issues leading to a country's overall success versus another, ie my nutrition rants lately.

We don't live in a binary world. It's not this thing or that thing alone that will determine our success in this fight. I believe we should all be thinking critically, thinking deeper, and most importantly having open dialogue about it all. Something our online society seems more and more opposed to tragically. I can appreciate many of the points you all have been making. I just wish some would be a bit more open-minded, though.

Sorry, guys. Being pro-nutrition/good health is NOT Insane Clown Posse "Magnets! How do they work?" anti-vax, anti-science quackery. The folks around here are generally pretty damn fit and eat well from the ones I've met IRL. So I'm honestly confused about the flack I've been getting on this front. Seems it's at least one topic we would all normally agree on. :/

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    The PTSD is real, but let's not blame a Canadian for...well...yeah anyway, let's move on.

Evidently your reading and comprehension skills are lacking. If you set aside your blind hatred toward me for two seconds, you'd realize I'm proposing the exact opposite of what you THINK I am. I've literally been saying we SHOULD be looking at what others more successful than us are doing and be willing to see where we can do better. WTF are you even going on about with all the political red herrings? You sound like some here who baselessly call others racist in order to shut down their arguments. Sheesh...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Lame.

I'm saying you are looking right past the low hanging, easily implemented solution that other countries have implemented (masks, social distancing, contact tracing) and jumping to a poorly supported hypothesis that Asians aren't getting COVID because they have a different diet and are on average healthier than us.

Nice virtue signaling with the racism comment by the way.

Sorry, guys. Being pro-nutrition/good health is NOT Insane Clown Posse "Magnets! How do they work?" anti-vax, anti-science quackery. The folks around here are generally pretty damn fit and eat well from the ones I've met IRL. So I'm honestly confused about the flack I've been getting on this front. Seems it's at least one topic we would all normally agree on. :/
    Because there is plenty of evidence on this board that these fit, healthy eating people are getting COVID. And most of the time it's because the easy stuff wasn't implemented.

We don't live in a binary world. It's not this thing or that thing alone that will determine our success in this fight. I believe we should all be thinking critically, thinking deeper, and most importantly having open dialogue about it all. Something our online society seems more and more opposed to tragically. I can appreciate many of the points you all have been making. I just wish some would be a bit more open-minded, though.
    I think a big part of the problem is there's too much dialog, too much talk, talk. We as Americans have collectively lost the 'will' to solve big problems. We'd rather spend trillions on paying off various constituencies rather than spending several more billions on research, testing, supplying higher quality masks, and now vaccine production & distribution. We have absurd priorities.

The bottom line is countries like Japan had the will to work the problem while Americans talked the problem to death.

We spent 6 months trying to convince people that a virus could go viral.
    Well put.

Irony is alive and well in America yet many Americans appear to be immune.

I HAVE been refining my thesis on the fly. As has Dr. Fauci. As has the CDC. As has the W.H.O. /
    This right here is my favorite part. The part where MF equates himself to a world renowned infectious disease expert. Please do go on MF. Don't let the TGR naysayer impede your march toward infamy.

#nextlevelhubris