Page 213 of 625 FirstFirst ... 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,325 of 15618
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Measles has the worst complications (including death) in kids <5 and adults >30

Mumps has the worst complications in adolescents and older (orchitis (inflamed testicles) and oophoritis (inflamed ovaries) to the point of sterilizing... also causing high rates of spontaneous abortion in women).

Rubella has it's worst effects on pregnant women and their unborn children causing awful birth defects and disability.

Chickenpox as an adult? BAD

Before vaccines the reason they wanted everyone to get these diseases in childhood, (eg Measles Party or Chickenpox Party) was because these diseases are far worse in adulthood. School age children suffer, but have the lower risk. The reason we get kids vaccinated early is to protect them. The reason why they are at least required to attend school is because school is the perfect setting to spread disease (and take it home).

It is about protecting the individual from risk AND EVERYONE ELSE TOO.

The total benefits of immunizations are greater than the sum of the individual benefits.
    In my career the thing that had the most emotional impact on me was the tour we had in med school of the institution in Coldwater, MI where they warehoused the profoundly mentally disabled--no one there could talk, few could feed themselves, few could interact with other humans, most could only lie in bed. Most were the victims of the "usual" childhood viral illnesses, including prenatal rubella. Not everyone dies. Imagine yourself or your loved ones "living" like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    I wish the CDC and more states made statements this clear and offered guidance on where the finish line is at. It might help move those fencesitters toward getting vaxed if they knew this was the way to get life back to normal.
    Might work for some fence sitters
    The antis distort this as coercion (but everything is twisted to reinforce their alternate reality).
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    I wish the CDC and more states made statements this clear and offered guidance on where the finish line is at. It might help move those fencesitters toward getting vaxed if they knew this was the way to get life back to normal.
    So I did some additional reading and it looks like masking may not go away at 70% but still good to have some metrics.

I will say that OR has been pretty good at communicating that “if X threshold is reached then Y happens” during this whole thing. The metrics have changed, but they are usually out a week or two in advance saying “hey, wake up, restaurants are closing in two weeks unless hospitalizations go down, stop hanging out without masks.”

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    In my career the thing that had the most emotional impact on me was the tour we had in med school of the institution in Coldwater, MI where they warehoused the profoundly mentally disabled--no one there could talk, few could feed themselves, few could interact with other humans, most could only lie in bed. Most were the victims of the "usual" childhood viral illnesses, including prenatal rubella. Not everyone dies. Imagine yourself or your loved ones "living" like that.
    Few know of this anymore. Far fewer experienced this. This lost collective memory profoundly affects the lack of perceived risk in parental decisions to not vaccinate children.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    What the fuck are you vaccine hesitant cowards afraid of? What type of moron is afraid of a vaccine? It’s one of the safest interventions known to man. Fucking Advil and Tylenol are more dangerous.

We have been in a global pandemic for over a year and now that we have the chance to vanquish the enemy you are going to get squeamish and decide to let it off the ropes? Yea sure, just go ahead and keep transmitting, not like there are already variants that are more contagious, more deadly and affect younger populations. You’re choosing the outcome of Afghanistan over WWII? What kind of pussies are you?

Love the questions too, “are we going to give kids the same dose as an adult?” Yea, the fucking army of scientists who spent their lives studying this shit didn’t think of that one. They are all like gee, “let’s give the Nobel Prize to this janitor for realizing that we should consider whether to give different doses to people who weigh 1/6th of what an adult does”. Shut the fuck up you ignorant twat. You aren’t special and you aren’t very bright. Maybe instead of just asking questions whose answers are known, just not by your ignorant ass, you should actually listen to the fucking experts.

Fuck.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    That's exactly my point. In the capitalistic society we have created that seeks a quick buck over long term health effects it is not surprising that 40% of the US is hesitant to trust "the man" that the vax is safe. And this is not something that can be solved overnight as it is ingrained in who we are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    not to mention that the far left has frequently objected to "the man" and the right has objected to anything associated with government. So many people, on both sides of the political spectrum, have been indoctrinated into the idea that government is not to be trusted, even if it's not based in any recent facts.
    [Tuskegee has entered the chat]

US Public Health Service Syphilis Study at Tuskegee
    https://www.cdc.gov/tuskegee/index.html
    Tuskegee Experiment: The Infamous Syphilis Study
    https://www.history.com/news/the-inf...tuskegee-study
    Tuskegee Syphilis Study
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study

This is a HUGE, and valid reason that many black people are understandably hesitant to be the first ones to jump on the bandwagon, but it's also in no small part why ALL of us don't 100% trust "the man" as it were.

I still wear a mask in close settings, don't eat indoors at restaurants etc because we don't have good data on the effectiveness of the vaccines on all the variants (the Indian one seems to be a particular concern to the WHO) as well as their transmissibility and lethality. The idea that the vaccinated have near zero chance of getting seriously ill or dying is based on the Phase 3 trials which were largely pre-variant. Restaurants around here are supposed to be 25%. Many aren't open indoors; those that are make no attempt to limit occupancy. I'll ease up after I see the numbers continue to fall for at least a month or two more--that will be the best indication we have that the variants aren't overcoming vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Few know of this anymore. Far fewer experienced this. This lost collective memory profoundly affects the lack of perceived risk in parental decisions to not vaccinate children.
    The collective memory has been supplanted by the internet.

And rather than seeking knowledge, people look to the net to reinforce their preconceived nonsense.

I still wear a mask in close settings, don't eat indoors at restaurants etc because we don't have good data on the effectiveness of the vaccines on all the variants (the Indian one seems to be a particular concern to the WHO) as well as their transmissibility and lethality. The idea that the vaccinated have near zero chance of getting seriously ill or dying is based on the Phase 3 trials which were largely pre-variant. Restaurants around here are supposed to be 25%. Many aren't open indoors; those that are make no attempt to limit occupancy. I'll ease up after I see the numbers continue to fall for at least a month or two more--that will be the best indication we have that the variants aren't overcoming vaccination.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01222-5

My kid may soon be vaccine eligible. I need to track her so this could be a win-win! Anyone have a line on how to use the Bill Gates micro-tracking embedded in the vaccine?

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    . And if you question that choice, they will point to all the chemicals we have ingested in out lifetime that latter were shown to be detrimental. That personal calculation can change as more information is available.
    Makes sense on the surface, but does that mean they gave up all cured meats, non-organic dairy products, use of any household chemicals with a State of CA warning label, etc? I'm guessing not.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    My kid may soon be vaccine eligible. I need to track her so this could be a win-win! Anyone have a line on how to use the Bill Gates micro-tracking embedded in the vaccine?
    You need windows Vista. So it might be a lose lose situation.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

As a rule, I double mask when shopping with an N95 under my custom message mask of the day. No mask outside if I'm on dirt. Single mask if I'm outside on concrete or black top. Like avalanche avoidance, it's situational.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    That the mRNA vaccines are likely to offer substantial protections in the current variants is a godsend. And even more of reason that we should collectively embrace the medical marvel our immunization community has delivered.

Exercising patience - through masks and social distancing - as we establish the body of evidence to prove this effectiveness is sound policy. It honors that being risk-adverse will ensure that gains made by past restrictions and vaccine adoption won't be undermined should that effectiveness not be realized or new variants introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    not to mention that the far left has frequently objected to "the man" and the right has objected to anything associated with government. So many people, on both sides of the political spectrum, have been indoctrinated into the idea that government is not to be trusted, even if it's not based in any recent facts.
    "Hillary made us do it!"

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    I see your analogy and that's certainly true in one direction, but it's also true in the other direction, as in it's like the other person in the car accosting someone for unbuckling their seat belt after the car's come to a stop. They're ready to get out of the car and go on about their day but the scared passenger doesn't want either to take off their seatbelts yet in case the car accidentally starts moving again.

There's certainly a divide these days about that. One side is yelling at the other for still wearing their masks post-vaccination because it feels unnecessary. The opposite side is yelling at the other for NOT wearing their masks post-vaccination because it makes them feel scared.
    I wasn't aware that car accidents are a communicable disease. If we want to be accurate about your analogy, it's more like someone unbuckling as you hit the offramp from the highway, not being parked, as we're only 58.5% (cite: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...tatracker-home) with their first shot.

They call me a signaler when i drive the Prius. Or wear a mask. I don't fucking care what they think. It is just another excuse to hate on people different than them.

I have a store I go to where both people that work there are fully vaxxed. They are the only ones in the store (before it opens). They have never worn masks. I always have. The door stays wide open while I am there so fresh air and well ventilated. There is cameras and the corporate policy is to always wear a mask in the store.

If it wasn't for the cameras I would be done with the mask when I service that location. I might be done anyway soon enough. This is where the science says it is clearly okay to not wear a mask, but the rules haven't really caught up yet. We do shit like wear a shirt into a gas station on hot days even though there is no scientific justification. It is just the norm. So wearing a mask when it isn't scientifically justified isn't really out of bounds from all the other stupid shit we do.

https://youtu.be/lesTkxvcSFw

I'm with you. We have an unvaxxed 11 yo. I want to see the numbers come down. Going to bars wasn't a very important part of my life before the pandemic so no need for that. Going to restaurants this time of year I'd rather eat outside anyway.

Restaurants around here are mostly fully open and business is booming. Covids is remaining steady instead of dropping even though this county at least is (edit) a couple three percentage points above the national average for vaxx rates. The infection rate has been incredibly steady since March 5th. Imagine if people unvaccinated people weren't acting like idiots. Shit would be over for now.

I watching the metrics in my community and that, along with businesses taking down thier signs, will determine when I stop wearing a mask indoors.

What compounds my issue is that I live in a tourist town and lately out-of-towners have been pouring in from all over Washington, Oregon and Idaho bringing their potential Covid and it's varients with them.

Further compounding it is the fluticasone propionate that I've been taking for a sinus infection. It carries a warning that it may decrease my ability to fight off viruses.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    That article doesn't consider the B.1.617 strain from India, or any yet-to-arise variants. I'm not suggesting wearing a mask forever. Case numbers will be the best indicator, especially breathrough case numbers.

It used to be "it's just the flu" and "why aren't we doing Sweden?!" were posted every week in here - and then it would be slapped down only to rise up again a few pages later.

Now those same scholars are here doing it with "why are you wearing a mask outdoors/in the car by yourself / if you are vaccinated?" and trying to frame it as some downfall of society and child abuse etc - and they got slapped down last week but here we go again.

I miss them being idiots with the "just a flu" schtick - those were simpler times.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    It used to be "it's just the flu" and "why aren't we doing Sweden?!" were posted every week in here - and then it would be slapped down only to rise up again a few pages later.

Now those same scholars are here doing it with "why are you wearing a mask outdoors/in the car by yourself / if you are vaccinated?" and trying to frame it as some downfall of society and child abuse etc - and they got slapped down last week but here we go again.

I miss them being idiots with the "just a flu" schtick - those were simpler times.
    Name:  RosannRossannadanna.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  52.5 KB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Last I checked we’re still in a global pandemic and wearing masks is part of how we get as many people as possible through it. Same goes for vax

That article doesn't consider the B.1.617 strain from India, or any yet-to-arise variants.
    Well, there is at least some glimmer of hope with the India variant. As for yet-to-arise, obviously nobody knows.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...ant-from-india