Page 692 of 929 FirstFirst ... 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 ... LastLast
Results 17,276 to 17,300 of 23206
    https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/nov-...d-19-1.6254091

some interesting science from Quirks and Quarks, why do some people not get infected ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

NYT -JOHANNESBURG — Scientists in South Africa identified on Thursday a concerning new variant of the coronavirus, whose mutations mark a “big jump in evolution” that is driving a spike in new cases. Hours later, Britain banned flights from six southern African nations citing the variant.
    In the past two days, scientists detected the B1.1.529 variant after observing an increase in infections in South Africa’s economic hub surrounding Johannesburg. So far, 22 positive cases have been identified in the country, according to South Africa’s National Institute for Communicable Diseases. One case has been detected in Hong Kong from someone who had traveled from South Africa. No cases have been detected yet in Britain.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/11...sters-mandates

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7dd...rce=reddit.com

QAnon's 'Queen of Canada' Calls for Followers to 'Kill' People Vaccinating Children

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 6.32.08 PM.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	372.9 KB 
ID:	394063

“Shoot to kill anyone who tries to inject Children under the age of 19 years old with Coronavirus19 vaccines/ bioweapons or any other Vaccines,” she wrote. “This order is effective immediately.”

Didulo has made separate pages to vet prospective members of her Canadian and U.S. duck-hunting teams to help with her mission. The Canadian group currently has just over 100 members, including the man who posted the images of the firearms. Inside the chatroom one of the duck hunters shared information about a specific vaccine popup in an Ontario mall “specifically targeting young children.”

“It’s time to react now,” replied one person. “Hurry up and wait is no longer the thing to say.”

Her followers are pledging their support to their Queen’s initiative. “A few duck hunters coming in can stay with me… I’m ready… all my hunting gear is ready… let’s roll,” wrote one in the public chat and posted a picture of firearms strewn across a table.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 6.31.22 PM.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	962.5 KB 
ID:	394062

Fucking canadiens. Happy thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    The cease and desist letter is mildly entertaining.

Attachment 394064
    It's invalid because it doesn't end in EH?!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Ok that's pretty fucked up.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Ok that's pretty fucked up.
    No shit. Please tell this is a CSIS false flag operation to identify the armed kooks that need monitoring.

Anyone who says “we the people”should have their teeth kicked in

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I thought Canuckistan had better mental health care than the US?

yeah so that republic stuff is and the whole we the people thing is so American wanabe,

Canada is a Constitutional Monarchy eh

but in view of the TG gatherings, in 10 days we should see the bump in Covid infections ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Anyone who says “we the people”should have their teeth kicked in

Hey, don't be so harsh. They just accidentally inverted the m.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Question for the collective: I participated in the Novavax clinical trial out of a sense of civic responsibility. I received a saline injection in January and then the actual vaccine in April (double blind, but it was dead obvious when I got the actual shot). Now I need to travel abroad, but Novavax isn't recognized by anyone as an actual vaccine. I need an actual official vaccination card, which I won't be able to get from Novavax until after my travel window (January).

Am I gonna die if I just drop out of the study and get two rounds of Pfizer? Novavax is a protein based vaccine, which is different than the other mRNA vaccines.

I think I'm just gonna YOLO it and go for it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    N of 1, but I followed a J&J shot with 2 full dose Modernas and am still here. 2nd Moderna laid me out for 4 days, but since I was going all cowboy I couldn't get just the booster-size dose. Now I have 2 CDC cards.

Moar vax=moar better, right?
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I thought Canuckistan had better mental health care than the US?
    They do. Apparently they also have better writing skills.

A similar group with a similar message in the US would just be some Twitter rant someone else happened to film and post.

So... who's up to date on the latest S. African variant?

Already in hongkong and belgium.
    The europe case is an unvaxxed traveler! Here we go again. Thanks antivaxxers

What I am gathering is it’s very new and still sorting things out as to transmission, vaccine resistance and severity. Bunch of European nations are stopping folks coming in from parts of Africa. You probably knew this, but going to take a bit to sort it out.

The two questions I have are: how transmissible and how susceptible to existing vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    Already in hongkong and belgium.
    The europe case is an unvaxxed traveler! Here we go again. Thanks antivaxxers
    Well, that's not really fair. It's not as though vaccines were so available in the shantytown ghettos of Johannesburg anyway, where this seems to be originating from.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7dd...rce=reddit.com

QAnon's 'Queen of Canada' Calls for Followers to 'Kill' People Vaccinating Children

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 6.32.08 PM.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	372.9 KB 
ID:	394063

“Shoot to kill anyone who tries to inject Children under the age of 19 years old with Coronavirus19 vaccines/ bioweapons or any other Vaccines,” she wrote. “This order is effective immediately.”

Didulo has made separate pages to vet prospective members of her Canadian and U.S. duck-hunting teams to help with her mission. The Canadian group currently has just over 100 members, including the man who posted the images of the firearms. Inside the chatroom one of the duck hunters shared information about a specific vaccine popup in an Ontario mall “specifically targeting young children.”

“It’s time to react now,” replied one person. “Hurry up and wait is no longer the thing to say.”

Her followers are pledging their support to their Queen’s initiative. “A few duck hunters coming in can stay with me… I’m ready… all my hunting gear is ready… let’s roll,” wrote one in the public chat and posted a picture of firearms strewn across a table.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 6.31.22 PM.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	962.5 KB 
ID:	394062
    What the actual F---??
    It is like a Manson cult.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Shantytown inhabitants jetting to Hong Kong and Belgium? Holy socioeconomic jumps batman.

DOW is down a thousand and still crashing over fears that the new variant and its mutants have skipped past the vaccines available worse than Delta. I think it's way too soon to say that's true but people are definitely panicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, that's not really fair. It's not as though vaccines were so available in the shantytown ghettos of Johannesburg anyway, where this seems to be originating from.
    . That is nor fair. Agree.
    The belgium case is a 24year old female unvaccinated traveler comming from egypt. Flying via turkey to belgium.
    There is also a case in israel.

Ohhh i can hear this 24year old girl.... there is no law that ! i ! have to get vaccinated

Why I am less nervous: these same concerning anecdotes were present during the Beta surge (Beta South African B.1.351). South African sources echoed quite loudly on the subject:
    1. There was much talk of reinfection cases.
    2. There was in vitro reduced neutralizing activity studies that had people up in arms.
    3. There was great concern of vaccine escape.

So what actually happened since the world didn't end?
    1. No epidemiologically meaningful reinfection data was ever shown.
    2. The in vitro experiments didn't transfer over to in vivo and epidemiologically significant effects for pandemic control.
    3. The vaccine concerns ended up being that the AZ vaccine used in SA was subpar in VEI realworld performance, but still protected extremely well against severe disease.

Beta was not the "Omega strain" feared, nor was its equally supposedly-fearsome cousin Gamma (P.1 Brazil) a terror outside of its emergent region which had the same fears, anecdotes, and in vitro data as Beta. Lambda and Mu were going to do us in as well. Alpha (UK B.1.17), the less fearsome though still more virulent and contagious than Wild Type, ended up being the worldwide dominant strain until Delta (India B.1.617) decisively outcompeted every other strain across the globe.

Will New Omicron (Botswana/South Africa B.1.1.529) be the immunity escaping Omega strain?

Why I am nervous:
    concerning anecdotes from SA about immune escape and presumed high seroprevalence in the region, maybe 40% maybe 70% while vaccine uptake is just over 20%. South Africa had it bad, about as bad as anywhere and the situations in their hospitals were just gut wrenching for patients and staff. The issue is of course that there are localized bursts in incidence that follow a mutation of better reproductive fitness which could be similar to Alpha and Delta, but not necessarily immune escape, or it could mean some level of immune escape. We have alterations in areas of the spike protein that could compromise previous infection immunity, vaccine response, and even multicompartment immunity... but will eyeballing a protein/sequence and computer simulation equal reduced activity in vitro? In vivo? Meaningfully so? For those previously infected? For those vaccinated? How about for those boosted? It could be with this many mutations that much of the previous vaccine efficacy will be muted, at least for infection. We won't know for 2-4 weeks.

When 1918 H1N1 Paninfluenza went around the world in several waves over the 2+ years of that pandemic, it mutated into more strains than SARS-CoV-2. There was no vaccine, or even real understanding that it was a virus. People were reinfected because the new strains were mutated to the point of immune escape because that is what Influenza virus does best, much better than COVID. But the immune memory was not truly blind. The people who were infected previously had a much milder course and the second time around, and that wasn't simply regression to mean virulence through mutation.

What is clear is that like Delta, "Omicron" emerged in a low vaccination region. Mutations come from replications. The only way to cut replications is to prevent infections. The only way to prevent infections long term is vaccinations. Luckily, with mRNA technology, Moderna and Biontech could start the production of a tuned up booster shot next week. Vaccine producers already have done work on this. If we treat approval as we do seasonal influenza shots, deployment could be faster than the virus moving forward. Similarly, we can generate monoclonal antibody treatments rapidly. Lastly, new protease inhibitor antiviral drugs such as those from Pfizer and Merck conceptually seem unlikely to be affected by RBD mutations as these don't play into the drugs mechanism (the proteases won't change). So, even at worst case, this won't be a "new pandemic," but something similar or worse than Delta's terrible impact while we mitigate with drugs and non-pharmaceutical interventions until a new booster is deployed. Best case, this is a nothingburger. I am hopeful that immunity from vaccine and previous infection will have preserved efficacy against sever disease.
    Last edited by Summit; 11-26-2021 at 12:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Was on a Brit ski forum reading about logistics of travel to the Alps, and some guy was going on about how the wearing of masks (and by implication, public hygiene like cleaning door handles occasionally in public areas) was a bad thing long term because as we saw with the lack of ‘Flu last winter, viruses wouldn’t propagate as much and thus our immune systems over time would become weak due to underutilization.

My view is that none of these measures work 100%, so reducing the number of contagions being passed around doesn’t mean our immune systems are never used….just means the use would be less frequent. Meanwhile the contagions would have less opportunity to mutate into more virulent strains.

With so many elderly dying of pneumonia historically, my dentistry background suggests that life expectancies would increase. ?
    Is there any evolutionary purpose of disease? One hypothesis as to why some are so effected by COVID, and some are asymptomatic, is because of previous exposure to corona viruses. What's better, playing wack a mole with vaccines while new variants continually pop out from places without the same access to the vaccines, or just letting it run rampant trying to build worldwide immunity as quickly as possible? I think we will need 50 years to sort out the true answer to this question.

I still have a pretty robust supply of "good" masks. The folks who should be most worried about any new strain spreading wildly are the ones who refuse to wear masks around other people indoors. So, again those folks will be the ones suffering most along with the healthcare workers stuck trying to save them from their own ignorance/stubbornness. Betting science can crank out an updated vaccine within a year again., but back to masks everywhere all the time until then for smart people if it's confirmed vaccines are way less effective at preventing serious illness from this.