Page 170 of 929 FirstFirst ... 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 ... LastLast
Results 4,226 to 4,250 of 23206
    Do we know if there's been any data collected or study about the vaccine's effect on another coronavirus, the common cold? That would be freaking rad if the shots knocked that bug out too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ^^^ it's shots given per day, not totals

The UK is still ahead on that one

Attachment 372499
    Aha. Reading is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Do we know if there's been any data collected or study about the vaccine's effect on another coronavirus, the common cold? That would be freaking rad if the shots knocked that bug out too!
    Some colds and flus are corona viruses. Under higher magnification the "corona" becomes a bunch of spikes. If the spikes are too different, then no, it won't do shit. Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are specifically designed to make your body produce a certain spike, then produce a reaction to it where antibodies can bond with the spike and neutralize it (and other reactions). If other spike proteins are different enough, the puzzle pieces don't fit together.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The googs is your friend.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021...other-pandemic

edit: too late, see Huck's post ^^

I know they're working on a vaccine that would work for all (or many, at least) coronaviruses. I'm sure it's a ways out but that would be pretty awesome if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I know they're working on a vaccine that would work for all (or many, at least) coronaviruses. I'm sure it's a ways out but that would be pretty awesome if it happens.
    Yeah!

I'm two weeks out from Pfizer #2 now. Honestly, in retrospect it took about a full week to get back to normal. There was some lingering headaches throughout that first week. Also the taste of things was a little different. Now, two weeks afterwards I feel like I'm fully back to normal. Overall it was worth it, even if I had to deal with a "fake" heavy cold for about week to get this immunity.

I certainly hope boosters aren't required for this thing, because that would really suck to have to go through this on a yearly basis. I'll keep getting the shots though, because aside from the deathly risk, even the long-haul side effects are enough to frighten me into boosting my immunity.

I felt a slightly scratchy throat and a vague sense of low energy 24 hours after Pfizer #2. Didn’t feel anything after #1. It’s been 48 hours now and I feel normal.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    That's awesome. Goes well alongside a key piece of Mofro's recent post:

The reason why flu vaccines are typically a only good for 6-8 mos isn't because immunity fades fast, but instead the viruses are mutating at a rate that they can be significantly different in the environment from those strains decided on for the vaccine each year such that the vaccine immunity no longer protects against to newer versions, or in some cases the prevalent strains are changing between when the vaccines are manufactured until when they are ready for distribution.
    There's a lot of popular pessimism about the prospect of annual boosters but it seems like it's based on familiarity with the flu more than any real similarity. Annual boosters aren't the end of the world, but they do seem to imply under-vaccination. A broader immunity booster might help motivation as well as effectiveness.

I'm 5 days past my second Pfizer shot and other than localized soreness around the injection site no issues. I waited 4 hours after the shot before I did some resistance training.

My 18yo is refusing the shot. I hope UVM makes it a requirement for next year. Somebody has infected him with libertarian drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I'm 5 days past my second Pfizer shot and other than localized soreness around the injection site no issues. I waited 4 hours after the shot before I did some resistance training.
    Same experience here, except I'm 7 days past my second Pfizer shot.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 1.52.33 PM.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	372517

and then same graph adjusted for population

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 1.52.47 PM.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	372518

now look at number of people fully vaccinated

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 1.55.29 PM.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	372519
    Last edited by bennymac; 04-23-2021 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ^^^ it's shots given per day, not totals

The UK is still ahead on that one

Attachment 372499
    Should Chile and other countries that extensively used sinovac be revaccinating people with more effective vaccines?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ize-up-sinovac
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    My 18yo is refusing the shot. I hope UVM makes it a requirement for next year. Somebody has infected him with libertarian drivel.
    I would refuse to pay tuition then.

You misspelled "anarcho-nihilist." It's hard to imagine anything more in keeping with libertarianism than vaccines: sacrifice the minor discomfort of the many for the fundamental rights of the few (who need herd immunity because the vaccine isn't adequate for them).

But if there's one thing I've learned from the TRG it's that UVM's letterhead can tell your son whatever you need him to hear.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

Age 18 is about the right age to read “The Dispossessed”

Had my 2nd shot of Pfizer yesterday at 11 AM. Felt fine all afternoon, even went and did a pretty rigorous workout in my buddy's back yard around 4. Felt ok all night as well, had a few beers and went to bed. Woke up about 11 PM feeling like I had the flu coming on and tossed and turned all night. By the time I got up at 7 I felt like shit, all achy and sore. That continued until this afternoon around 1:30, when I took a couple tylenol. That made me feel better within 1/2 hour and now I'm a little off but nothing big. Hoping I'm done but we'll see when the tylenol wears off.

Stop paying his cell phone bill until he gets the shot. 200% guaranteed success

1 week out of the news cycle and J+J has been blessed to go forward by the CDC. Quietly in the Friday news dump, so it is nicely ignored by people heading out for the weekend. The pause hasn't been formally lifted, but I'd assume that's coming by Monday if not sooner.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...resuming-shots

And of course they never stopped manufacturing or shipping, 9 million shots will be at the ready for the green flag

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/23/polit...ses/index.html

Tell him you just dropped him off the family health care plan on top of him needing to pay all his own bills from now on. You know, because he's infringing on your freedom and you shouldn't have to support him anymore since he's making all these big adult decisions now.

Then kick him in the butthole 5 minutes after he gets the shot so the Dr has to anal probe him real deep and investigate this strange side effect.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    now look at number of people fully vaccinated (adjusted for population)

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 1.55.29 PM.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	372519
    How do you adjust a percentage for population?

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post

Then kick him in the butthole 5 minutes after he gets the shot so the Dr has to anal probe him real deep and investigate this strange side effect.
    LOL

I dunno, that guy sounds a lot like DJSapp to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I dunno, that guy sounds a lot like DJSapp to me.
    Wait a sec... DJSapp is Italian now. Otzi is in a freezer in Italy. Therefore... DJSapp is Iceman?