Page 495 of 619 FirstFirst ... 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 ... LastLast
Results 12,351 to 12,375 of 15475
  1. #12351
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,870
    Quote Originally Posted by mtuhockey33 View Post
    holy fuck you’re an idiot. Her numbers are shit. Are you seriously going to try and use this crazy broad as an example of why to get Vaxx’d? Her total deaths/infections include all the time even before vaccines…. Why not use the data since vaccines were rolled out? Her data and your video argument is shit.

    edit: she doesn’t include ages or underlying heath conditions either. Which is a joke.
    Calm down Francis. Take your own advice. Your arguments are shit and your posts are a total joke because you are too ignorant to understand even simple concepts about immunology, epidemiology, and physiology (let alone the complex ones you somehow believe you understand without any education in the subject)

    It’s pretty rich that you took an opportunity to harshly criticize someone for the type of mistakes you’ve been making all summer in here. Sit down.

  2. #12352
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    20,359
    Just went 20 rounds with a Trump lovin' relative in Texas about getting vaxxed (believes God put Trump in office). He's antivax. Believes Trump took a fake vaccine but gave him all the glory for "inventing" the vax. Told me his priest called him stupid for not getting it and when his friend told him she lost 3 relatives to Covid he asked what underlying conditions they had. Says he'll wait 3 or 4 years before he's convinced it's not altering peoples DNA and that he's more worried about flesh eating bacteria.

    Ugh.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  3. #12353
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    23,347
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Just went 20 rounds with a Trump lovin' relative in Texas about getting vaxxed (believes God put Trump in office). He's antivax. Believes Trump took a fake vaccine but gave him all the glory for "inventing" the vax. Told me his priest called him stupid for not getting it and when his friend told him she lost 3 relatives to Covid he asked what underlying conditions they had. Says he'll wait 3 or 4 years before he's convinced it's not altering peoples DNA and that he's more worried about flesh eating bacteria.

    Ugh.
    I refuse to talk to people like this, family or otherwise. Their idiotic ideas don't deserve any air time.

  4. #12354
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,891
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Just went 20 rounds with a Trump lovin' relative in Texas about getting vaxxed (believes God put Trump in office). He's antivax. Believes Trump took a fake vaccine but gave him all the glory for "inventing" the vax. Told me his priest called him stupid for not getting it and when his friend told him she lost 3 relatives to Covid he asked what underlying conditions they had. Says he'll wait 3 or 4 years before he's convinced it's not altering peoples DNA and that he's more worried about flesh eating bacteria.

    Ugh.
    So, you're saying there's a chance!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  5. #12355
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On Vacation for the Duration
    Posts
    14,074
    Maybe tell that Jesus lover "Well, I'll just have to do what Jesus says to do here. Shake the sand from my sandals and move on. How's the weather been?"
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

  6. #12356
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    18,340
    I'm bothered by the number of qualified scientists taking to social media with valid but differing takes on the virus and the vaccines. Science moves in fits and starts, today's truth is tomorrow's obsolete theory, vigorous scientific debate is healthy, taking it to social media not so much. The nuance gets lost and the public gets confused and skeptical.

    This isn't unprecedented. Sabin was very critical of Salk and his efforts and very public about it, but obviously the available media at the time were much more limited. (I was shocked that a contestant on Jeopardy's Tournament of Champion's hadn't heard of Jonas Salk.)

  7. #12357
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    23,347
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    (I was shocked that a contestant on Jeopardy's Tournament of Champion's hadn't heard of Jonas Salk.)
    Pretty sure it was actually Sabin that he couldn't recall. And I'm sure the contestant had heard of them both, he just wasn't able to recall Sabin's name.

  8. #12358
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    4,605
    Purely anecdotal but a lot more of my teenage kids' friends seem to be getting immunized as school gets going, sometimes after having had to convince their anti parents to allow it. In a couple cases mom and the kids are getting shots, but good ol' dad is a holdout. What was somebody saying about white males...?

  9. #12359
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    10,093
    Conservative white males. Do lump me in with the willfully ignorant


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  10. #12360
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    6,682
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Pretty sure it was actually Sabin that he couldn't recall. And I'm sure the contestant had heard of them both, he just wasn't able to recall Sabin's name.
    Correct. He knew Salk right off but brain farted on Sabin.

  11. #12361
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    5,505
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm bothered by the number of qualified scientists taking to social media with valid but differing takes on the virus and the vaccines. Science moves in fits and starts, today's truth is tomorrow's obsolete theory, vigorous scientific debate is healthy, taking it to social media not so much. The nuance gets lost and the public gets confused and skeptical.

    This isn't unprecedented. Sabin was very critical of Salk and his efforts and very public about it, but obviously the available media at the time were much more limited. (I was shocked that a contestant on Jeopardy's Tournament of Champion's hadn't heard of Jonas Salk.)
    Ya even I knew the main benefit of masks was to keep our spewing to a minimum (protect others from ourselves) and pushed for everyone to be wearing them everywhere way back in early March of 2020. Problem is that there weren't enough for the healthcare workers and EMS folks to protect themselves. For their sake, thank God the other armchair epidemiologists were buying toilet paper instead back then..

    My public health professor cousin blocked me for pushing for everyone to wear masks everywhere before the WHO agreed with that strategy. We're back as besties now though..

    But ya science didn't lie to you. We just learned more and got evolving insights as a result.. In short, it's complicated.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  12. #12362
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    15,825
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	463.7 KB 
ID:	385378

    A mini-story in a picture of "let's just open up without distancing, masking or vaxxing"

    (Of course, it's a relational perspective because there is distancing, masking & vaxxing during this period, but it demonstrates the differential that would only grow if we listened to the anti-public health crowd)

  13. #12363
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,791
    But somewhere, some prominent scientists interpreted the science to mean that there was no longer a need to track mild covid cases and to discourage surveillance testing for schools, which then became policy, while other prominent scientists were clearly providing evidence as to why these were bad decisions.

  14. #12364
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    8,283
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	463.7 KB 
ID:	385378

    A mini-story in a picture of "let's just open up without distancing, masking or vaxxing"

    (Of course, it's a relational perspective because there is distancing, masking & vaxxing during this period, but it demonstrates the differential that would only grow if we listened to the anti-public health crowd)
    If only there had been some way to know that this might be how it went...

    But, you know, nobody can know any of this.

    It's really quite a huge mystery.

    Ah, well. What are you gonna do, right?


  15. #12365
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,870
    When you are against masks and mandates and are out protesting you are lining up alongside people like this:

    “Canadian Frontline Nurses”

    Its leader, Kristen Nagle, is a former neonatal intensive care-unit nurse who was fired earlier this year from her hospital. This came after Nagle co-organized an antilockdown rally.

    Nagle has some unconventional views on disease transmission.

    You can't catch a virus," Nagle wrote on Facebook on August 15.

    According to her, viruses "are found within to help us detox and get back to balance".

    "What if everything you learned wasn't true?" Nagle asked at the start of the post. "Germ theory never been proven. Bacteria aren't bad guys and are actually essential to life. Polio wasn't cause by a virus and its near eradication wasn't due to a [vaccine]. Spanish Flu wasn't caused by a virus.

    Rabies is actually from malnourishment and mistreatment," Nagle continued in her post. "Mumps, measles, chickenpox are benign and part of childhood phases essential for development. Contagion has never been proven."

    ——

    Years from now will someone come up with a plausible explanation for how people like this can get the education to become an ICU nurse and then tip over the edge into spongebrain insanity?

  16. #12366
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    4,221

  17. #12367
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    5,505
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    When you are against masks and mandates and are out protesting you are lining up alongside people like this:

    “Canadian Frontline Nurses”

    Its leader, Kristen Nagle, is a former neonatal intensive care-unit nurse who was fired earlier this year from her hospital. This came after Nagle co-organized an antilockdown rally.

    Nagle has some unconventional views on disease transmission.

    You can't catch a virus," Nagle wrote on Facebook on August 15.

    According to her, viruses "are found within to help us detox and get back to balance".

    "What if everything you learned wasn't true?" Nagle asked at the start of the post. "Germ theory never been proven. Bacteria aren't bad guys and are actually essential to life. Polio wasn't cause by a virus and its near eradication wasn't due to a [vaccine]. Spanish Flu wasn't caused by a virus.

    Rabies is actually from malnourishment and mistreatment," Nagle continued in her post. "Mumps, measles, chickenpox are benign and part of childhood phases essential for development. Contagion has never been proven."

    ——

    Years from now will someone come up with a plausible explanation for how people like this can get the education to become an ICU nurse and then tip over the edge into spongebrain insanity?
    My wife's cousin is a practicing anesthesiologist and anti vax pro trumper. She move to Florida to be more around her kind..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  18. #12368
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    15,415
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    If only there had been some way to know that this might be how it went...

    But, you know, nobody can know any of this.

    It's really quite a huge mystery.

    Ah, well. What are you gonna do, right?

    Totally. And, one critique I'd have of the map is that it's misleading, just in that it shows the metro areas as having lots of sick people, when in reality that's just where the ICU beds are and the patients, at least around here, are anti-vaccine folks from rural areas and urban areas.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  19. #12369
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacationland
    Posts
    4,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    She needs to calm down. Besides, antivaxxers don't respond to math.
    Oh they use ‘new math’

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1249.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	385386


    Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

  20. #12370
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,870
    Normal person: “2+2=4”

    Antivaxxer: “yeah but 2+1 doesn’t equal 4!!”

    Normal person: “yeah but that’s a different equation”

    Antivaxxer: “oh yeah? Where’d you hear that…CNN?”

  21. #12371
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    14,391
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    But somewhere, some prominent scientists interpreted the science to mean that there was no longer a need to track mild covid cases and to discourage surveillance testing for schools, which then became policy, while other prominent scientists were clearly providing evidence as to why these were bad decisions.
    And therein lies the problem. Who's "science" do you follow when they are all "prominent"?

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    TGR MODS EAT SKIDOG JIZZ

  22. #12372
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    4,605
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    If only there had been some way to know that this might be how it went...

    But, you know, nobody can know any of this.

    It's really quite a huge mystery.

    Ah, well. What are you gonna do, right?

    Colorado is doing pretty well. Maybe I'll move to the Front Range where all the smarty pants live.

    Big Island and Maui in the red. We just canceled our planned Christmas trip to Maui, which we booked back in July (of course). Several other families we know are also canceling Hawaii plans for this winter. I'm sure others will jump in to fill the empty beds, but it just didn't feel right.

  23. #12373
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    14,391
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    My wife's cousin is a practicing anesthesiologist and anti vax pro trumper. She move to Florida to be more around her kind..
    Yeah and I'm sure she's totally stupid right? They go to school longer than the surgeons.

    Why can't you all figure out that none of it's proven? The goal posts move daily, weekly, monthly... What makes one scientists opinion any worse or better than another's? Ooooh yeah cause the one you disagree with is for sure just plain stupid and "doesn't get it".

    Beaters

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    TGR MODS EAT SKIDOG JIZZ

  24. #12374
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    8,283
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Colorado is doing pretty well. Maybe I'll move to the Front Range where all the smarty pants live.
    Eh... our FR county is not great.

    But the country as a whole is setting a pretty low bar. So comparatively, maybe we're doing OK?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Covid-JeffCo.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	385387

  25. #12375
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    10,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Yeah and I'm sure she's totally stupid right? They go to school longer than the surgeons.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Did you know that anesthesia residency is four years and that surgical residencies range from four to seven years? How can you throw out comments like this with absolutely no knowledge of what you’re talking about? Not that it has anything to do with the topic.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •