Page 74 of 929 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Tell Bonnie to go back to sniffing her shoes until more data are available.
    I don’t live there but someone from BC can chime in with how to reach her. It’s a remarkable announcement for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    It’s difficult to believe that somebody who goes to bars and restaurants can only claim close contact with people that are vaxed. How does that work?
    The same way as the provider who diagnosed the person with altitude illness requiring supplemental O2 after multiple weeks at altitude... not the brightest thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Curious about what habits you would change for yourself.

We’re wondering for ourselves, and currently using the ski season and school year as the excuse for not changing behaviors and making plans with others. My wife and I are vaxed, our parents are vaxed, my wife’s siblings will soon receive #1, their spouses have no idea when they’ll get a turn, and none of my kids, nieces, and nephews are old enough for the vaxes (3 of the kids are between 13 and 15).

Heard today about our kids’ teacher (5th grade) hanging out Saturday night with friends). I believe they are all teachers and/or had covid. Concerning to hear the story being broadcasted to the distance learning class.

Are bars and eateries filling up in truckee like they are in west county?
    Certainly open restaurants--I know of one in particular, don't know how crowded. I don't know about the bars--I don't get out that much even pre-pandemic. At least for the time being I'll keep up the mask and distancing unless I'm with people I know who've been vaccinated--easier than explaining, I'll do it to make them feel comfortable.--and I'll let it slide when someone is too close or has their nose sticking out.

While we still don't have solid numbers on transmission after vaccination, when you look at the odds of one vaccinated person getting covid from another vaccinated person, seems very remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The same way as the provider who diagnosed the person with altitude illness requiring supplemental O2 after multiple weeks at altitude... not the brightest thinking.
    Damn

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Certainly open restaurants--I know of one in particular, don't know how crowded. I don't know about the bars--I don't get out that much even pre-pandemic. At least for the time being I'll keep up the mask and distancing unless I'm with people I know who've been vaccinated--easier than explaining, I'll do it to make them feel comfortable.--and I'll let it slide when someone is too close or has their nose sticking out.

While we still don't have solid numbers on transmission after vaccination, when you look at the odds of one vaccinated person getting covid from another vaccinated person, seems very remote.
    Thx for the response!
    I’m only aware of the increase in complacency about bars because I took a walk in town on Friday while waiting for our pies to be ready.

I’m not sure I’ve seen the odds that you mention. i know there’s a lot of hope and theory. I saw this atlantic piece that made me sigh in a partially hopeless way: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...n-rule/618140/

And I listened to a podcast where Dr Farzad Mostashari had a very different assessment, that did not always make sense to me. And I heard that Israel is opening a lot up to those that are vaxed or previously infected (this is a plan dripping in racism).

Personally, I’m also a little less concerned for myself at the many places in town full of nose dicks or maskless hacks. At the volunteer gig at the ski hill, I’m also less concerned when I’m helping guests (but I’m always wearing a mask).

Has anyone read if researchers have any idea if being vaxxed will prevent long-haul syndrome? Probably too early to know? I know that some of those who are long-haulers were barely sick with the virus but now suffer daily.

The interviews I've seen with long-haul individuals about the problems they are experiencing are crazy.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Has anyone read if researchers have any idea if being vaxxed will prevent long-haul syndrome? Probably too early to know? I know that some of those who are long-haulers were barely sick with the virus but now suffer daily.

The interviews I've seen with long-haul individuals about the problems they are experiencing are crazy.
    Apparently, there have been observations of covid vaccinations to be helping to resolve the symptoms of long covid. Here’s a discussion that’s friend point me to: https://mobile.twitter.com/VirusesIm...UJKDHlHV0qpM14

To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

Apparently, there have been observations of covid vaccinations to be helping to resolve the symptoms of long covid. Here’s a discussion that’s friend point me to: https://mobile.twitter.com/VirusesIm...UJKDHlHV0qpM14
    Someone we know got her smell/taste back after 6 months once she got vaccinated.

great news!!
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...e-partnership/
    President Biden will announce Tuesday that pharmaceutical giant Merck & Co. will help make Johnson & Johnson’s single-shot coronavirus vaccine — an unusual pact between fierce competitors that could sharply boost the supply of the newly authorized vaccine, according to senior administration officials.

The officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a matter that has not been announced, said they began scouring the country for additional manufacturing capacity after they realized in the first days of the administration that Johnson & Johnson had fallen behind in vaccine production. They soon sought to broker a deal with Merck, one of the world’s largest vaccine makers, which had tried and failed to develop its own coronavirus vaccine.

Under the arrangement, Merck will dedicate two facilities in the United States to Johnson & Johnson’s shots. One will provide “fill-finish” services, the last stage of the production process during which the vaccine substance is placed in vials and packaged for distribution. The other will make the vaccine itself, and has the potential to vastly increase supply, perhaps even doubling what Johnson & Johnson could make on its own, the officials said.

“It’s a historic partnership,” said one of the officials, adding that the companies “recognize this is a wartime effort.” He praised their sense of “corporate citizenship.”

The officials declined to provide details about how Merck’s involvement will affect the projected supply of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and the timetable for distributing it. It could easily take two months to get the “fill-finish” plant ready and a few more months to equip the other facility to make the vaccine, according to a person familiar with the process who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the issue.

The Biden administration’s efforts to ramp up production of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine suggest that it sees the vaccine playing a bigger role in addressing the challenges ahead, such as the eventual need for children’s vaccine and possibly for boosters to counter virus variants, said a person familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss it. Johnson & Johnson is conducting a trial of a two-shot vaccine, with the doses given two months apart, with results not expected until at least May.

Johnson & Johnson did not respond to a request for comment. Merck did not comment on the deal but said it “remains steadfast in our commitment to contribute to the global response to the pandemic.''

J&J efficacy looks to keep increasing
    This may be overly specific, not sure. They all measure differently
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0793.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	259.2 KB 
ID:	365546

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Damn

Thx for the response!
    I’m only aware of the increase in complacency about bars because I took a walk in town on Friday while waiting for our pies to be ready.

I’m not sure I’ve seen the odds that you mention. i know there’s a lot of hope and theory. I saw this atlantic piece that made me sigh in a partially hopeless way: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...n-rule/618140/

And I listened to a podcast where Dr Farzad Mostashari had a very different assessment, that did not always make sense to me. And I heard that Israel is opening a lot up to those that are vaxed or previously infected (this is a plan dripping in racism).

Personally, I’m also a little less concerned for myself at the many places in town full of nose dicks or maskless hacks. At the volunteer gig at the ski hill, I’m also less concerned when I’m helping guests (but I’m always wearing a mask).
    I shouldn't have said "look at the odds". It's my own guesstimate based on the assumption that the vaccines give at least some protection against transmission plus the effectiveness in preventing people from getting sick. In other words--if you've both been vaccinated it's very unlikely the other person will have virus to transmit to you and even if they do it's unlikely you'll catch it. So you're doubly protected--just like when both people are wearing masks.

BTW--I'm not ready to eat indoors at a restaurant yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    great news!!
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...e-partnership/
    President Biden will announce Tuesday that pharmaceutical giant Merck & Co. will help make Johnson & Johnson’s single-shot coronavirus vaccine — an unusual pact between fierce competitors that could sharply boost the supply of the newly authorized vaccine, according to senior administration officials.
    Fucking great news. Glad J&J and Merck worked this out. Was wondering if the corporate world had it within itself anymore to look for the common good.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    J&J efficacy looks to keep increasing

Name:	IMG_0793.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	259.2 KB 
ID:	365546

As does their libido.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    And even if they do, isn't it extremely likely that the symptoms will be extremely mild, and there is almost zero chance of hospitalization or death?

Let's not make this political. I would however like to know what it is about the repub party that correlates so strongly with the pattern below.

https://civiqs.com/results/coronavirus_vaccine

Do you plan to take a coronavirus vaccine if it becomes available?

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 2.38.25 PM.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	365588

https://www.axios.com/republicans-co...01b87c39f.html

Moreover, it's white repubs specifically. Check the comparison to white dems
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 2.41.48 PM.png
Views: 1057
Size:  42.5 KB

You could argue that these data fit well with the belief among repubs that the risk inherent in infection is minimal as exemplified by this graphic;

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 2.44.48 PM.png
Views: 1063
Size:  108.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Let's not make this political. I would however like to know what it is about the repub party that correlates so strongly with the pattern below.

To 0wN Teh L1Bs!

It's either that or perhaps they're just really quite dumb (in general) as a group.

The graph line for black republicans is not statistically valid--n is too small.

And how much would those numbers be different if Trump had widely proclaimed that he got vax'd back in January instead of hiding it?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I’m pretty sure I heard fauci predicting that trump would get vax #1 in january because he should get poked earlier due to his monoclonal antibody treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    And even if they do, isn't it extremely likely that the symptoms will be extremely mild, and there is almost zero chance of hospitalization or death?
    That concern in my mind is a vaxed person becoming an asymptomatic carrier/spreader. Supposedly, that’s still a concern and smart people are all over the place in terms of assessing the risk and consequences without more data.

https://www.axios.com/republicans-co...01b87c39f.html

Moreover, it's white repubs specifically. Check the comparison to white dems
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 2.41.48 PM.png
Views: 1057
Size:  42.5 KB

You could argue that these data fit well with the belief among repubs that the risk inherent in infection is minimal as exemplified by this graphic;

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 2.44.48 PM.png
Views: 1063
Size:  108.8 KB
    Mistrust the government, don’t understand science principles, and a libertarian streak that makes them want to buck any official guidance or rules.

I had a guy tell me he wasn’t going to get the vaccine because he didn’t think it should be mandatory. I almost fell off my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Mistrust the government, don’t understand science principles, and a libertarian streak that makes them want to buck any official guidance or rules.

I had a guy tell me he wasn’t going to get the vaccine because he didn’t think it should be mandatory. I almost fell off my chair.
    Probably isn't a lack of understanding of science principles because I wouldn't expect that phenomenon to be restricted to just white repubs. Agree with the other two.

Let's just be brutally honest and call it like it is: there is a segment of the population who is opposed to being vaccinated because they get off on the idea that they may have the ability to severely sicken/kill other people through their refusal of the vaccine.

It's the same with a portion of the anti-mask crowd: it trips their triggers knowing that they could kill someone by simply coughing on them.

Not all anti-maskers/vaxxers fit that demographic, but those folks are out there, and even if there were one of them, it would still be one too many.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Let's just be brutally honest and call it like it is: there is a segment of the population who is opposed to being vaccinated because they get off on the idea that they may have the ability to severely sicken/kill other people through their refusal of the vaccine.

It's the same with a portion of the anti-mask crowd: it trips their triggers knowing that they could kill someone by simply coughing on them.

Not all anti-maskers/vaxxers fit that demographic, but those folks are out there, and even if there were one of them, it would still be one too many.
    That’s awfully pessimistic of you, but you are glade master.

Do we have any idea on FDA approval timing for any of the vaxs? I would think that would help push some of the people hesitating to closer to being stuck.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    That’s awfully optimistic of you, are you ok glade master?

Fify

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Do we have any idea on FDA approval timing for any of the vaxs? I would think that would help push some of the people hesitating to closer to being stuck.

Beyond the 3 that are already have FDA Emergency Use Approval?

They don't get released to the public without being approved.
    Move upside and let the man go through...