Page 744 of 874 FirstFirst ... 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 ... LastLast
Results 18,576 to 18,600 of 21828
    Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Was gonna start separate thread, but I’ll just put this here. We are scheduled to fly to NYC on Xmas day, spend five days in Manhattan, then fly back NYE. The Mrs. and I both vaxxed and boostered, Things One and Two have 2x Pfizer on board. I’m hearing rumbles on the Interwebs that Omichron is starting to really ramp up in the NE, can any NY area Mags confirm? I read SNL may cancel their season finale due to COVID, and some Broadway shows may start going dark (again). We have trip insurance, 100% refundable up to 72 hours in advance….. I really don’t want to cancel, but I also don’t want to endanger my family or get fucking stranded in NY. What says the collective? Any NYC maggots there on the ground? Thanks in advance, and HOLY FUCK I AM SICK OF THIS SHIT. /blog
    Go. Wear masks. Wash hands. Enjoy the amazing city.

That’s what i would do. But I’m not you. Totally understand the situation.

Gauteng’s Omicron Wave Is Already Peaking. Why?

In Gauteng, South Africa’s Omicron epicenter, the wave seems to be cresting. In other parts of the country, too, the terrifyingly fast rise of the new variant appears already to be slowing and even receding. This is very encouraging, since it suggests that Omicron waves elsewhere in the world may also be, if disorientingly fast, also mercifully short. But it is also a bit confusing, given that the wave has peaked well before anything like it had fully penetrated the local population, and given that everything we know about the new variant is that neither infection-acquired immunity nor two vaccine doses do much at all to stop transmission.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...aking-why.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    Airports and Flights both of those days could be relatively less crowded than other days. But that's only one small piece of the (exposure) pie. Will you be roaming around NYC as a tourist? I suppose the answer is who goes to NYC to stay inside all the time.

I'm speaking from the geographic perspective of upstate NY and eastern PA. Yes, things in NYC are starting to close up and clamp down. A headline from today "New York reports a record number of coronavirus cases for one day." SNL has a covid outbreak and no live audience, there are long lines and multi-hour waits for a covid test in the city, link. Access and what's open is in a rapid state of change right now.

Here's an article from today's NY Post, one of the two tabloids. Bear in mind it's the right leaning of the two tabloids, owned by News Corp (same owner of Fox): Record COVID-19 spike, cancelations dim holiday season spirit in NYC.

Why take the risk now when things are trending worse not better.

I may be overly cynical here but I can imagine this from people making a tourist trip to the city upon their return home:
    Friend: How was your trip to the Big Apple, were there long lines at any of the attractions?
    Traveler: No, everything was walk right in. But we did see block-long lines with several hour waits for covid tests.
    Yeah. I figured. Thanks for all that. Fuck.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

seano732 I'm not going to comment on the logistics and safety of travel in general (sorry I guess I just did), but I have been following the SNL stuff as a casual fan and it sounds like that area of NYC (if not more of it) is a total Omicron hotspot. A lot of nervousness, uncertainty and rumors of impending restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Gauteng’s Omicron Wave Is Already Peaking. Why?

In Gauteng, South Africa’s Omicron epicenter, the wave seems to be cresting. In other parts of the country, too, the terrifyingly fast rise of the new variant appears already to be slowing and even receding. This is very encouraging, since it suggests that Omicron waves elsewhere in the world may also be, if disorientingly fast, also mercifully short. But it is also a bit confusing, given that the wave has peaked well before anything like it had fully penetrated the local population, and given that everything we know about the new variant is that neither infection-acquired immunity nor two vaccine doses do much at all to stop transmission.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...aking-why.html
    This is encouraging, but also keep in mind delta hit the UK hard, then quickly receded only to start climbing again.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Yeah. I figured. Thanks for all that. Fuck.
    Tough call. Discussed this with my wife over dinner. We’d go.
    Super high mask/sanitizer/Covid protocol adhered to but yeah gotta enjoy life too. There is a balance. Just gotta figure yours out.
    We are all boosted and now masked again while out.
    I wish you luck.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

I don’t post often to TGR but having semi-followed this thread for almost 2 years…the vast majority of you need to get a life. Fucking losers who have too much time on your hands to internet argue or speculate on either end of the spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The fear is palpable

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    I don’t post often to TGR but having semi-followed this thread for almost 2 years…the vast majority of you need to get a life. Fucking losers who have too much time on your hands to internet argue or speculate on either end of the spectrum.

You should stop caring so much about what people post on this thread. You have time to give a shit about something you don't care about?

Almost unreal that this guy died. I know he was mentioned in this thread. Fought hard against logical health measures. Freakish.

Washington state Sen. Doug Ericksen dies at 52 after Covid-19 battle https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...attle-rcna9278

My cousins wife is now in the ER. I mentioned a month ago she had come down with covid, on top of recurrent Lymphoma. No vaccine. Now on high flow o2 in intensive care, but not vented. Hoping for the best.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post

Yet you kept coming back for 2 whole years - you couldn’t stay away. You couldn’t resist. Despite having nothing worthwhile to offer.

And when that reality hit you the only way you could come up with to deal with your shame was to impotently try to virtue signal your way out of it.

Self reflection can be a painful exercise. Vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    There's no herd immunity. Look at omicron, lots of vaccinated or people that previously had it, get sick.
    Might be so. Too early to say for sure. Reinfection does not preclude herd immunity. Many of the herd-immunized diseases in America are catchable by the vaccinated. Measles and whooping cough for sure, probably most of them.

With pre-omicron variants, greater vaccine uptake could get us to herd immunity. With omicron, we may need a better vaccine. Would suck if Covid keeps going around forever with 2% CFR. I saw one report that had 7% CFR for reinfected Covid survivors. That would be worse (though it might be bad enough to choose an elimination strategy, paradoxically making high CFR good).

NYC looks to be shutting down. Saturday Night Live scrapped 90% of the live show, no audience, guest host and three or four other cast members basically showing a few clips from rehearsal earlier in the week and old stuff. The band was the sax planer and keyboard player.

Buckle up folks. Here it comes again..

Get two good jabs and a boost. Wear masks everywhere inside around other people you can't confirm are fully vaxxed.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Feels like it's been years since anyone bothered to say: with 7B people in the world it is impossible to achieve herd immunity through infection because basically any mutation at all is going to get lots of new versions before enough people have immunity, and whenever one evades immunity well enough it's a restart. Higher R0 values exacerbate this.

Given that worldwide spread of delta and omicron are both so much faster we probably need faster vaccine adjustments. 4 months may be too long.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    F
    Given that worldwide spread of delta and omicron are both so much faster we probably need faster vaccine adjustments. 4 months may be too long.
    I'm grateful that the vaccines we have seem to have this knocked down to the severity of the seasonal flu for folks who do utilized the vaccines available .... so far. Omicron TBD.. We're going to selling and using a lot of masks for the foreseeable future with or without mandates sans that full herd immunity. Short if the absolute worst case scenario, we're still far better off than we were a year ago today. .. but "business as usual" is definitely still a ways off without unvaxxed people dropping like flies all around us...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    If you rearrange the letters of “delta + omicron” you get “media control”

Or you can get “erotic almond”

Do what you want with this information
    I knew it! Almond fantasties are the downfall of us all.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    One more write up about NYC, this one from the Washington Post (behind a paywall):

New York coronavirus cases hit record high for second straight day as omicron upends holiday plans

It's says a lot of what the NY Post article says.

This stood out to me:
    In countries with community transmission, the new variant was spreading faster than delta, with infection numbers doubling in 1˝ to 3 days, the World Health Organization said Saturday. Omicron is spreading rapidly in countries with high levels of population immunity, but it remains unclear whether it evades immunity, is more transmissible or both, the health agency said, with clinical severity and vaccine efficacy also not yet known.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

The NFL is easing its protocols.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-covid-1...194538465.html

Why shut down a business when vaccinated players, with few to zero symptoms, test positive? There is no good reason.

The nfl is famous for caring about the health and safety of their players, role model organization

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    The nfl is famous for caring about the health and safety of their players, role model organization
    Who’s being hurt here? Why test vaccinated asymptomatic players?
    Should they start testing for the flu?

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Just go full polyass covid denialist, pussy. That’s clearly the theme now

there’s a case to be made pro/con, but the nfl is a piece of shit org, run by pieces of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    There are a whole lot of ancillary workers not making $MM/year that make the NFL tick. I would not want to be a steward on the flights those teams use to travel.

The people making the decisions will keep getting their percentages of ad revenue. The shit will trickle down but I wouldn't count on the money doing the same.

To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Just go full polyass covid denialist, pussy. That’s clearly the theme now

there’s a case to be made pro/con, but the nfl is a piece of shit org, run by pieces of shit.
    Right to the name calling….

I’m not a Covid denialist. I was on it, and very concerned way before mainstream media even gave it more than a blurb. I’ve been fully vaccinated since last February, probably long before most here (I had access to it earlier than most). But I’m also a realist. And not a fear Peddler. I’m not living the rest of my life like it’s July ‘20. A lot of people seem to relish that.

And I agree Roger Goodell is a clown.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I'm supposed to fly into Newark on Wednesday. Really not stoked. Luckily I will get my car and head straight to the boonies. To hang with my entirely unvaccinated family (besides mom)......ughhhh. As if Xmas didn't already suck enough.

Good luck WRG, I fly to San Antonio on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    What would Jesus say that number should be? Asking for my deeply religious friends.