Page 854 of 929 FirstFirst ... 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 ... LastLast
Results 21,326 to 21,350 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    For sure and we should have a conversation about competing needs and interest, but my point is that when someone proclaims some fact about vaccines or masking or how they work or whatever, is that unless that person has advanced training, they likely don’t’ even understand nor could explain the fundamentals of the thing they are spouting off about.
    Do you need advanced training to conclude that a physical barrier significantly reduces the spread of a respiratory virus?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

You can look at the Chilean data above and see a clear correlation of the benefit of the booster , its very clear. Masks are a different story. Probably yes and if you think that every precaution should be taken then sure. But at some point they have to go and the public health people make that risk reward determination. I have seen people who were covid nazis who wanted every measure increased above what the Province required as min , what the hill required on top of that to what they thought was required, go now maskless at the hill. Fear has dissipated. I can look back and in hindsight support pretty much everything that was done and now go along with the reductions in restrictions.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    Do you need advanced training to conclude that a physical barrier significantly reduces the spread of a respiratory virus?
    Especially one with an electrostatic layer designed to filter that type of threat... others, not so sure..

EDIT to add that anything at all is probably better than nothing.. but KN95s and full N95s are pretty accessible and affordable now so why not??
    Last edited by SumJongGuy; 04-12-2022 at 06:59 AM.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

No, but it sure makes it a shit ton easier to ignore random people spouting off “facts” if you get in a conversation about how much they reduce spread, which materials are effective, which mask type is effective, etc.

And just because I or you conclude that a mask reduces the spread of a respiratory disease doesn’t mean IMO, we have the credibility or technical understanding to explain why, how, which masks to wear in what setting, etc.

This could go in the “what annoys you” thread but holy fuck. I’m sitting in the office with my coworker. He’s otherwise an intelligent, well-spoken dude. But he’s listening to a podcast about how thousands and thousands of people that took the covid vaccine are having kidney failures and how the vaccine alters your DNA permanently. And the podcast host isn’t screaming and ranting like most alternative media sources do, he’s presenting this obviously fake stuff in a calm manner like it’s actually fact. It’s a little terrifying and also enraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    This could go in the “what annoys you” thread but holy fuck. I’m sitting in the office with my coworker. He’s otherwise an intelligent, well-spoken dude. But he’s listening to a podcast about how thousands and thousands of people that took the covid vaccine are having kidney failures and how the vaccine alters your DNA permanently. And the podcast host isn’t screaming and ranting like most alternative media sources do, he’s presenting this obviously fake stuff in a calm manner like it’s actually fact. It’s a little terrifying and also enraging.
    You need to expell a copious quantity of really stinky farts right now and pretend like nothing happened.

So the gridiron dinner. How many attendees known to be infected? I’ve read that it’s unknown (or will not be shared by the employer) if any workers were infected and there will be no contact tracing.

My understanding is that this event was serving as a demonstration of how the pandemic is no longer a pandemic and that the government elite (and media) can move on with their lives. Apparently, the mayor of New York attended that event, then several days later (after knowing that he’d been exposed) attended an event (unmasked) that focused on people with disabilities, including people that are immunocompromised. The mayor tested positive later that day after attending the event with the disabled people. (I hope I got those details correct)

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    The mayor tested positive later that day after attending the event with the disabled people. (I hope I got those details correct)
    Hopefully he wasn't getting in close proximity for more than a quick photo with any of them. No doubt all the chit chat and elbow rubbing at that Gridiron Gala was the perfect super spreader..

In other news, school system HAD voted to drop the mandates starting next Monday. Betting they pull that shit right the fuck back..

My company has an all hands scheduled for tomorrow.. that last week/month was no doubt an "ON it's time to get back to office routines" discussion.. Betting now it's punted back... which works for me. Why waste gas money, auto wear and tear, and 45 minutes travel time 5 days a week to go there and do EXACTLY what I do sitting on my couch??
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

My manager is just getting over Covid. One more reason I'm glad to still be primarily WFH. I think we're going to start seeing a pretty sharp rise in new cases across the country over the next few weeks.

Took my 94 y/o Mom to Mayo Clinic for BOOST TWO.

She is stoked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1649791744.705086.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	412906

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Co-worker listening to any podcast that's loud enough for me to hear it/not using headphones is irritating.

On the bright side you now know he's actually an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Cases are starting to head back up 'round here... probably going to go ahead and get another booster, as I'd prefer to *not* have travel planned for the summer get all fucked up by the cooties.

i was going to wait, but, with parents visiting in June, i'm gonna boost again (i'm in the 50+ category)

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    My manager is just getting over Covid. One more reason I'm glad to still be primarily WFH. I think we're going to start seeing a pretty sharp rise in new cases across the country over the next few weeks.
    We are supposed to go back soon to “normal”. I’m guessing most of the office is out with CoVID within the first few weeks after spending 2 years avoiding it.

Got boosted today (along with the shingles vax). Moderna for booster #2, Pfizer was boost 1, and Moderna was original vax. Covering my bases.

Arm is already sore AF.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Anybody have any idea how to hook up some elder folks with some paxlovid so they can better be ready to enter deep backcountry after potential exposures?

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    With it being this rushed will the nano-bots embedded in it be able to communicate with Bill Gates effectively? Will it work without a nationwide 5g connection????????
    I think they switched nano bots to Elon Musk communication strategies.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post

And just because I or you conclude that a mask reduces the spread of a respiratory disease doesn’t mean IMO, we have the credibility or technical understanding to explain why, how, which masks to wear in what setting, etc.
    I think that’s the problem, I or you don’t have to explain anything at all. We just have to conclude that the people who wear these masks while they perform their job of taking care of people with respiratory infections and all sorts of other airborne things… maybe, just fucking maybe they’re on to something.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

I think that’s the problem, I or you don’t have to explain anything at all. We just have to conclude that the people who wear these masks while they perform their job of taking care of people with respiratory infections and all sorts of other airborne things… maybe, just fucking maybe they’re on to something.
    Well yeah. Except we get in a whole series of stupid debates about this shit because as a nation we have completely devalued the experts in place of “common sense”/Facebook/witch doctor of choice.

So it’s a lot easier if we could agree that typically if the vast majority of experts are telling you to do Y and you have concluded X that maybe you are wrong.

There are of course areas where the experts disagree and again I’m more interested in their debate than Joe on the streets twitter opinion.

Should we beat this dead horse some more?

this guy has a good point on mask use

i like your mom's fashion sense.

Edit--talking about Harry's mom on the previous page. Nice coordination of sweater, mask, and hat. Too bad none of that rubbed off on Harry--from what I hear.
    Last edited by old goat; 04-13-2022 at 12:02 PM.

Two shots and a booster and I just tested positive. Was down in Florida for a couple of weeks, more than likely picked it up in the airport or on the plane, only dropped the mask to eat and drink. Felt like I had bad allergies is all, runny nose which I still have, somewhat lethargic, that’s about it.
    Stay frosty
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Got boosted today (along with the shingles vax). Moderna for booster #2, Pfizer was boost 1, and Moderna was original vax. Covering my bases.

Arm is already sore AF.
    Was fine until bedtime, then got some serious chills/fever, and a shitty night of sleep. Just really tired now.

I'm guessing it's the shingles vax, because that was worse than the 3 other shots of mRNA.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Choss Jonger, Sr. View Post
    Anybody have any idea how to hook up some elder folks with some paxlovid so they can better be ready to enter deep backcountry after potential exposures?
    It's called "test to treat"
    https://www.covid.gov/
    https://aspr.hhs.gov/TestToTreat/Pages/default.aspx

Not sure what to do if you plan to enter the backcountry, and then test. Sounds like a doctor question, for a doc specializing in travel. And even then, I think most will say no, but idk. I was at a presentation by an expedition doc once, and he seemed to think most docs would write a generic antibiotic Rx to add to a backcountry first aid kit. My doc refused.

For prevention, all we have officially is monoclonals, and only some folks qualify to get them prophylactically. And Covid keeps evolving to escape them.

I'm not qualified on this topic.

Yesterday I rode a chairlift with a young lady who claimed there is new information about covid.

Evidently, covid is really the consequence of snake venom in the water. That's why people who live on their own wells don't get covid and the mechanism of contraction is actually drinking water, not airborne particles.

I asked her if she read this on the cdc website.

She responded that it was on the internet.

I failed to point out my in laws, who live on a farm with their own well, both got diagnosed with covid back in the late fall.

We, as a species, are doomed; too stupid to survive.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<