Page 24 of 929 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    It means OS/2 didn't run windows, it was it's own deal and msft faked an effort to get windows apps to run in OS/2 while Chairman Bill cracked the whip to get us to write NT well after OS/2 had started.
    You were part of the team that wrote NT?
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Funny thing is--if Zuckerberg had anything to do with vaccines they probably would come with implantable chips.

I'm going to stick with my version of the quote--while I'm sure there are plenty of atheists who believe in the conspiracy shit it seems an awful lot of conspiracists are evangelicals, ultraorthodox Jews, or radical Islamists. I mean think about it--isn't the idea that there is some kind of supreme being that created the world, controls human affairs like the outcome of football games, speaks directly to prophets and the occasional POTUS, and plans to suck a bunch of his believers (it's not clear which ones) up to heaven before he destroys the world pretty much the ultimate conspiracy theory?
    What do people have against implantable chips? I think it is a great idea. This could even make it possible for wireless screening of up-to-date immunity status for admission to the latest safe spaces.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

At this point there are a lot more vaccines sitting on shelves than are being injected creating an opportunity to be your own advocate for a shot. Even though my wife sees heart failure patients, those patients are screened so she wasn't in group 1A. She made an offhand comment to a colleague about looking forward to a shot even though other than consulting occasionally in the ER she wasn't considered at high risk, in spite several documented exposures. That conversation led to Moderna COVID-19 inoculation.

There are thousands of unclaimed spots for health care/first responder/employee vaccinations with not enough urgency, as far as I can tell, to fill them up let alone extend them to the community.

It means OS/2 didn't run windows, it was it's own deal and msft faked an effort to get windows apps to run in OS/2 while Chairman Bill cracked the whip to get us to write NT well after OS/2 had started.
    When i had OS2 you could leave it up for months whereas you were re-booting windows twice a day, but the nuts n bolts of what OS2 may or may not have been are not as key as how badly IBM fucked up right at the very beginning, ignored it mismanging it
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-29-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    At this point there are a lot more vaccines sitting on shelves than are being injected creating an opportunity to be your own advocate for a shot. Even though my wife sees heart failure patients, those patients are screened so she wasn't in group 1A. She made an offhand comment to a colleague about looking forward to a shot even though other than consulting occasionally in the ER she wasn't considered at high risk, in spite several documented exposures. That conversation led to Moderna COVID-19 inoculation.

There are thousands of unclaimed spots for health care/first responder/employee vaccinations with not enough urgency, as far as I can tell, to fill them up let alone extend them to the community.
    Some areas have super high uptake. Others not. One ski patrol had 95% uptake and that is remarkable! I know some providers are wanting to wait 1-2 months just to make sure the rest of us don't grow a third eye (which would be totally rad, BTW) and then they'll get vaccinated.

Some places have poor recruitments and notification for providers. My father is a physician who works for a DMAT (federal) but the feds assumed that state/local will handle vaccine. The state he is in (Missouri) assumed employers would vaccinate. So, he is outa-luck while the state is still struggling to get Phase 1A (front line hospital staff) vaccinated.

The healthcare systems I am with are working tightly with local PH to ensure that every healthcare provider and public safety type in the community gets a chance, whether they are private practice or not and have been proactively working on vaccine distribution for half a year. It paid off. We are now vaccinating very high risk groups (like 75+) and subsets of essential workers restratified to Phase 1 that were previously part of Phase 2A and 2B. We can do it because we were ready when the distribution pipeline suddenly said "surprise you are getting this extra shipment of vaccine" we can say "OK we will put it in arms Stat." We even have local pharmacies getting in on it (some of the major pharmacy chains are working hard to be part of the solution).

In other parts of CO (metros), PH has said "we can't do it!" and left vaccination to the hospital systems to do everyone from first responders to the community and they are still doing Phase 1A and 1B. So the hospitals are stepping up and paying OT to build out the IT infrastructure and staff vaccine clinics.

Of course, CDC keeps changing Phase tiering and then each state does their own refinement on sub-tiers, so who is where in line constantly changes.

Vaccines in arms, not on shelves!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Our daughter in law is a med student--she's on a family practice rotation, outpatient only to protect her from hospital patients with Covid. Not considered elgible for a shot yet. But her attending and a bunch of other people in the clinic have tested positive, she had a positive quick test, waiting for PCR results. Our son has had one shot. I'm interested to see if he keeps working--he does emergency surgery--or if the AF still sends him for 2 months of training in 2 weeks or so (right after his second shot). If he doesn't do the training now it probably messes up his team's scheduled deployment this summer. My guess is the AF won't give a fuck about the Covid unless people are actually sick.

Vibes, and holy shit, you're a whole family of doctors?!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Vibes, and holy shit, you're a whole family of doctors?!
    No, surgeons. But my wife is a nurse--OR nurse-- and my daughter in law to be does marketing for an online dermatology startup.
    I do have a cousin who's a dentist, which is how I qualified for TGR.

My father was an internist, but before that he was a butcher, as was his father, and his grandfather, and who knows how many generations in the old country. So my sons and I are just carrying on the family trade. I don't want anyone to mistake us for physicians, you know, the kind that carry stethoscopes across the back of their necks.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    You were part of the team that wrote NT?
    Yes; C compilers, RPC runtime, 3d signaling mechanism, among others.

Also worked on WinCE, which the engineers wanted to make into a cell phone before cell phones existed circa 1994. But upper management, Craig Mundie, wanted a serial device to upload and download office app data. I wrote the serial manager and sample serial drivers for a variety of devices.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 12-29-2020 at 12:36 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I don't know that I would call it fatalism as such, but I have read that these conspiracy theories are appealing to people who feel they have little control over their lives. It's in some sense more appealing to believe that there is some scheme working behind the scenes and powerful, invisible forces pulling the levers of history than it is to face the reality of your own finite existence in the face of forces of nature and society that are extremely complex. I think that's what you're getting at, more or less?
    Yeah, fatalism in the broad sense. Not so much that everything is preordained, but that ______ forces control everything and the outcomes are inevitable.

Not to get too political here, but trumpism is a good example: a deep state that's unaccountable to the populace secretly controls the country, and only their tangerine savior can save them from it, but on Jan 20 the deep state will have won. In the future it will be known as Bad Wednesday, followed by Trumpster Sunday.

I think that a healthy religious practice can give people the opportunity to engage with these feelings of smallness in a way that helps them to be better people and more able to cope with day to day life. To what extent is the white Methodist Church being replaced with televangelists and Facebook Trump/QAnon groups? I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem like a good trade-off for individuals or for society if that's the trade we're making.
    agree

Maybe more egalitarian economic policies would make people less likely to bathe themselves in neo-fascist politics and conspiracy theories, but I'm not convinced that is an answer either. The worst brain worms seem to be among fairly well-off - if not necessarily well-educated - boomers and older Gen Xers. They grew up in an America that was more egalitarian than ours! And look at the UK. They seem to have a problem with the same kind of kooks even though they have fully automated luxury gay space communism for a healthcare system.
    But was it? How about for Rosa Parks and MLK? What if Joe McCarthy thought dad was a commie?

This is just, like, my opinion, man, but I see that anger as the white man's last stand. The last generation (but I think it's as much geographical as it's generational) where being willing to work in a mine, mill or factory was enough to live the American dream of 2 kids, 2 cars, and a house in the burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, fatalism in the broad sense. Not so much that everything is preordained, but that ______ forces control everything and the outcomes are inevitable.

Not to get too political here, but trumpism is a good example: a deep state that's unaccountable to the populace secretly controls the country, and only their tangerine savior can save them from it, but on Jan 20 the deep state will have won. In the future it will be known as Bad Wednesday, followed by Trumpster Sunday.

agree

But was it? How about for Rosa Parks and MLK? What if Joe McCarthy thought dad was a commie?

This is just, like, my opinion, man, but I see that anger as the white man's last stand. The last generation (but I think it's as much geographical as it's generational) where being willing to work in a mine, mill or factory was enough to live the American dream of 2 kids, 2 cars, and a house in the burbs.
    Yeah, I've heard that interpretation of the kooks. Maybe that's part of it, but who counts as white has always been mutable in this country, too.

Back on topic a bit more: I'm getting that shot tomorrow! Fuck yes. Context: I work for a big hospital system in a non-patient facing role. We got an email telling us that we had the supplies on hand to hit non-Tier 1 staff and that we should sign up for a time slot.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Our son has had one shot. I'm interested to see if he keeps working--he does emergency surgery--or if the AF still sends him for 2 months of training in 2 weeks or so (right after his second shot). If he doesn't do the training now it probably messes up his team's scheduled deployment this summer. My guess is the AF won't give a fuck about the Covid unless people are actually sick.
    Listened to a podcast with a SOST crew the other day, sounds like a real cool gig.

Got the Moderna round 1 today. So far business as usual.

Thought I'd add that Colorado is #2 in the country for vaccinations per capita because of the state model of making the healthcare systems promise to give all the vaccine in a certain time window before releasing it. That means the hospitals design/push their capacity to match the supply, then agree. It is pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Also worked on WinCE, which the engineers wanted to make into a cell phone before cell phones existed circa 1994. But upper management, Craig Mundie, wanted a serial device to upload and download office app data. I wrote the serial manager and sample serial drivers for a variety of devices.
    Cool. RPC runtime sounds interesting. What was 3d signaling for? I'd rather get teeth pulled than do C. Although a lot of our company applications are written in Fortran. I wrote a tool to help transpose spaghetti MS Fortran 5 into Java code, verbatim -- spaghettis and all Anyways, was curious because I read a lot of good things about the design decisions in Windows NT.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Listened to a podcast with a SOST crew the other day, sounds like a real cool gig.

Got the Moderna round 1 today. So far business as usual.
    SOST is probably the best way to see Syria, Afghanistan, Somalia, and other cool places for the foreseeable future. Probably the only one in the family who will get to travel overseas in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Thought I'd add that Colorado is #2 in the country for vaccinations per capita because of the state model of making the healthcare systems promise to give all the vaccine in a certain time window before releasing it. That means the hospitals design/push their capacity to match the supply, then agree. It is pretty cool.
    Yeah it’s moving along well here in Pitkin, but it’s encouraging to hear that you guys are already dipping into Phase 2 categories. I’m phase 2 and hoping we see Jan/Feb instead of April/May timing

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I’m typically not a fan of banning people, but that post was so tremendously stupid I’d be in favor of banning you. There’s no possible way anyone dumb enough to come to those conclusions can possibly have anything of value to add on other topics.

You should abandon this forum and keep your opinions to yourself for the rest of your miserable life. Any conversation would be better without your input, any debate better without your ideas, any room is made collectively dumber with your presence.
    Sigworthy.

Heh. WinCE. My first "smart" phone ran that. Aptly named OS. Fortunately that phone met a watery death.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    What was 3d signaling for?
    In NT, there's a graphics driver model where the display driver (which translates the GDI or D3D apis into device specific drawing commands) in user mode needs to communicate with the miniport which has access to the device memory in kernel mode. In OpenGL parlance, this is an ICD driver. The idea is that the display driver fills a memory buffer with drawing commands, then tells the miniport to consume that block of memory, usually via some sort of DMA variant.

In order to reuse that buffer efficiently, the display driver needs to know when the device has consumed the memory. In *nix, signal() can do that, but NT has no such mechanism. Since virtually all graphics devices expose an interrupt mechanism that can be programmed to raise when a buffer is consumed , the trick was to hook up that hardware level bit to some NT based alert mechanism. So, there's a way to create user mode events and pass them down into kernel mode where they can be converted into an underlying kernel mode event synchronization object.

The part of an OS that gets called to handle an interrupt, called an Interrupt Service Routine (ISR), in NT can't access synchronization objects like kernel mode events. So there's another widget down in the NT kernel called a Deferred Procedure Call (DPC) that can set the kernel mode event and a DPC can be scheduled to run from an ISR.

There's a bunch of other decorations about locking down user mode memory so it's not pageable, but the basic idea is to associate a user mode event handle to a surface and let the Display Driver do a WaitForSingleObject() call on that user mode event after submitting the buffer for rendering and getting woken up when the DPC, scheduled by the ISR at interrupt time, sets the underlying kernel mode event.

So I put in all that plumbing which allows graphics apps to optimize their graphics buffer usage and do composition on a surface.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 12-29-2020 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Heh. WinCE. My first "smart" phone ran that. Aptly named OS. Fortunately that phone met a watery death.
    The whole thing was so bungled from a marketing point of view.

If you ever used the serial port on the thing, that was my code.

There was also some really dirty stuff going on that ended up with a suicide.
    Without going into specifics, one of the engineers was running an investment fund for middle management in WinCE that involved insider trading.
    When we other engineers found out about it, we complained because we felt it stilted the already vicious review process, but were rebuffed by Mundie who wouldn't let us develop a smart/game cell phone.
    The guy running the investments eventually got in over his head and lost everything in the 2006 crash and killed himself. Plus a bunch of people got caught doing insider trading.

Really fucked up.

The whole thing was so bungled from a marketing point of view.

If you ever used the serial port on the thing, that was my code.

There was also some really dirty stuff going on that ended up with a suicide.
    Without going into specifics, one of the engineers was running an investment fund for middle management in WinCE that involved insider trading.
    When we other engineers found out about it, we complained because we felt it stilted the already vicious review process, but were rebuffed by Mundie who wouldn't let us develop a smart/game cell phone.
    The guy running the investments eventually got in over his head and lost everything in the 2006 crash and killed himself. Plus a bunch of people got caught doing insider trading.

Really fucked up.
    Fuck man. Sorry to hear. That's shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I’m typically not a fan of banning people, but that post was so tremendously stupid I’d be in favor of banning you. There’s no possible way anyone dumb enough to come to those conclusions can possibly have anything of value to add on other topics.
    Agreed. I'm assuming the "MTU" is Michigan Tech and I'm kind of astonished that anyone who went there could be some goddamned stupid.

Hockey scholarship.

But I'm not convinced it isn't just trolling

I’m scheduled for the Pfizer round one tomorrow at 1300.......If you Mags don’t hear from me ever again, it went poorly.......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Nice!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy