Page 556 of 628 FirstFirst ... 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 ... LastLast
Results 13,876 to 13,900 of 15692
  1. #13876
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    16,938
    Unfortunately that seems to go over everyone’s head here
    Does your maid take care of the Ironing?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

  2. #13877
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Edge of the Great Basin
    Posts
    3,365
    Quote Originally Posted by mtuhockey33 View Post
    the people that need the shots are the ones who have never had Covid and haven’t gotten vaccinated. Those are the people you should focus on rather than everyone who doesn’t want a vaccine. Unfortunately that seems to go over everyone’s head here
    It doesn't go over everyone’s head here. Your case would be helped if you didn't alternate between attacking the vaccine and making your point about natural infection.

    Even though you've said in the quote above people who haven't been vaccinated should get vaccinated, a lot of your comments have attacked the vaccines directly, downplayed the death toll, and argued in favor of herd immunity. You've also spent a lot time defending the unvaccinated, not just the previously infected. All those arguments get conflated.

    You'd also have a stronger case if you acknowledged the preponderance of evidence showing people with prior infection +1 dose are much better protected than infection alone⁠—instead of saying there's no benefit and instead of constantly calling vaccines untested and unsafe.

    In other words, your argument is a lot stronger if you focus on job mandates instead of the anti-vax noise. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future natural immunity, either through the courts or the government figuring out how to do it, is granted the same concessions as vaccination.
    Last edited by MultiVerse; 09-24-2021 at 09:43 PM.

  3. #13878
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    valley of the heart's delight
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    I believe you are mixing together a few definitions which I’m pretty sure have been discussed in this thread, viral load and infectious dose.

    Viral load - a measurement of the amount of a virus in an organism, typically in the bloodstream, usually stated in virus particles per milliliter.
    Well then... thanks for correcting

  4. #13879
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Well then... thanks for correcting
    I’m certainly not an expert. Just a pedant for definitions.

  5. #13880
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,364
    so now I need to honor my own request -


    how many times have Multi- and LSL stated(,)

    immunity is not about antibodies, but about T-cells and B-cells; but

    still he claims we need antibody tests...


    no. we don't - Because we have a tested Vaccination - that has significantly less Risk than the risks of infection.

    again, the best tool we have To immunity is Vaccination. And the best tool we have to control the spread of the virus is Vaccination. ( I will leave the statistics to others )


    ( for what it's worth, My 'hive mind' is based on years of university education and forty years of work in public health.
    ( My concern is no longer for me, but for the risk to my elderly neighbors and my elderly friends ) )


    good luck. tj


    finally. we are currently ( September 2021 ) seeing the effects of people choosing Not to be vaccinated -
    ICUs across the country are full of covid patients who are unvaccinated.

    ( the vaccination has been available to anyone over the age of 18(years) since June. and more recently, to anyone over the age of 12(years) )

    Please see Multi-'s post above, about the shifting arguments ( - for the sake of argument. )


    thanks for (listening. )

  6. #13881
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,122
    I just learned a couple of little kids I know are starting yet another go with this. Second round for one and third for another. Spoiler: it looks like positive tests don't guarantee safety against later variants.

    At least one is doing worse so far than the first time. About 8 or 9 months since his first, I think, and of course now it's delta (we passed 90% delta here months ago) so maybe that's normal. He's been to a funeral once and he's been extra scared of COVID ever since. Now especially, of course.

    He was fine with a mask all last year, but no masks in schools for his friends now because covidiots are in charge. This should not be landing on 8 year olds. The sum of all the rage shouldn't probably land on a couple of collaborator maggots, either, but it's hard to feel much empathy about it. Every minute these worm brains spend reinforcing each other's stupidity prolongs this and helps the quisling assholes deny basic precautions for children with no other options. If only violence would help, I'd happily enlist.

  7. #13882
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    221
    A friends son came home from school upset that he's lost friends because he wears a mask and the other kids don't because he goes to school in drump country

  8. #13883
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    25,108
    Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    so now I need to honor my own request -


    how many times have Multi- and LSL stated(,)

    immunity is not about antibodies, but about T-cells and B-cells; but

    still he claims we need antibody tests...


    no. we don't - Because we have a tested Vaccination - that has significantly less Risk than the risks of infection.

    again, the best tool we have To immunity is Vaccination. And the best tool we have to control the spread of the virus is Vaccination. ( I will leave the statistics to others )


    ( for what it's worth, My 'hive mind' is based on years of university education and forty years of work in public health.
    ( My concern is no longer for me, but for the risk to my elderly neighbors and my elderly friends ) )


    good luck. tj


    finally. we are currently ( September 2021 ) seeing the effects of people choosing Not to be vaccinated -
    ICUs across the country are full of covid patients who are unvaccinated.

    ( the vaccination has been available to anyone over the age of 18(years) since June. and more recently, to anyone over the age of 12(years) )

    Please see Multi-'s post above, about the shifting arguments ( - for the sake of argument. )


    thanks for (listening. )
    yeah this^^

    the troll fest seems to be about how spiked proteins can dance on the head of a pin

    while all you really need to do is get a vax
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  9. #13884
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    278
    A month away from vaccination and my kid wakes up with a fever, sinus congestion, and can't taste anything. Got the Abbot antigen test and it was negative, have to wait a few days for PCR.

  10. #13885
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    A friends son came home from school upset that he's lost friends because he wears a mask and the other kids don't because he goes to school in drump country
    Exactly why it shouldn't fall on them to make that "choice." Last year all the adults were pestering this little guy regularly for any sign of trauma from mask-wearing and basically trying to feed him their phobias. He just shrugged and stared at them, like he had no idea why they were so concerned. No drama at all. Eventually caught it from a big sleepover, but the masks did their job at school. Now we have a variant that's hitting kids for real and apparently last year's demonstrated effectiveness is just proof there's no cause for concern.

    Good luck to your son, Garbowski. I hope he's feeling better soon!

  11. #13886
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    24,547
    Mods: is it possible to tune the thread order inversely based on frequency of response?

    These threads that become incredibly negative also have very high response frequency, where frequency is posts per time unit.

    Currently threads are sorted based on most recently used.

    So unfortunately, these frenzy threads rise to the top.

    It would be nice if the sorting algorithm could negatively weight the threads based on their response frequency so that the frenzy threads would sink or even go to a back page.

    Or time people out (including me especially) from a given thread if their response frequency gets above some threshold. Kick them back to the root and move the thread,

    This thread has a lot of interesting information, but it's getting saturated with bad faith actors, including trolls. Maybe if the thread were a little harder to find, the frenzy would die down, in part because the bad actors wouldn't be at the top of the page view, getting the reaction they desire.

    I do keep looking for data that supports the claim that natural immunity is better than vax induced immunity. Aside from 2 preprints, one of which (the Israeli preprint) has had a number of criticisms, I can't find any, but I can find 5 or so that conclude this isn't the case.

    But we never move on and instead keep going swirling down the bowl. Maybe this is a dumb idea or not possible, but given that WeGR can't seem to conduct ourselves in more progressive manner, maybe some other tweak to the thread sorting would rectify the frenzy, trollishness and incessant repetition of misinformation.

    Trolls (RIP Mr. Poundkey) used to be funny, clever, creative and odd. Now they're just thudsome.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  12. #13887
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    18,426
    My worst fear right now is that it won't snow this winter and this will go on forever. Not the pandemic. This thread.

  13. #13888
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Depends on the time of year
    Posts
    106
    Well, it technically is a rapidly multiplying variant of the original thread...

  14. #13889
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    15,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Mods: is it possible to tune the thread order inversely based on frequency of response?

    These threads that become incredibly negative also have very high response frequency, where frequency is posts per time unit.

    Currently threads are sorted based on most recently used.

    So unfortunately, these frenzy threads rise to the top.

    It would be nice if the sorting algorithm could negatively weight the threads based on their response frequency so that the frenzy threads would sink or even go to a back page.

    Or time people out (including me especially) from a given thread if their response frequency gets above some threshold. Kick them back to the root and move the thread,

    This thread has a lot of interesting information, but it's getting saturated with bad faith actors, including trolls. Maybe if the thread were a little harder to find, the frenzy would die down, in part because the bad actors wouldn't be at the top of the page view, getting the reaction they desire.

    I do keep looking for data that supports the claim that natural immunity is better than vax induced immunity. Aside from 2 preprints, one of which (the Israeli preprint) has had a number of criticisms, I can't find any, but I can find 5 or so that conclude this isn't the case.

    But we never move on and instead keep going swirling down the bowl. Maybe this is a dumb idea or not possible, but given that WeGR can't seem to conduct ourselves in more progressive manner, maybe some other tweak to the thread sorting would rectify the frenzy, trollishness and incessant repetition of misinformation.

    Trolls (RIP Mr. Poundkey) used to be funny, clever, creative and odd. Now they're just thudsome.
    Not sure the box fan could handle that.

  15. #13890
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    There are much easier ways to keep your MS Teams checkmark green during a slow day that allows you to complete household chores or go for a walk.
    Yo what are these easier ways?

  16. #13891
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    14,392
    So the CDC advisory panel, the one that usually follows the "science" advised against boosters for under 65. Stating not enough DATA.

    Walensky the director overruled their recommendations and authorized boosters for "occupational and institutional settings"

    How's that science and not political?

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Skidog; 09-25-2021 at 08:54 AM.

  17. #13892
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    5,667
    Not to mention the common denominator in the ICUs is unvaccinated.. not never infected. There are plenty of people there sucking on vents and dying who had COVID round one but Delta took them out without the vaccine..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  18. #13893
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    15,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    So the CDC advisory panel, the one that usually follows the "science" advised against vaccines for under 65.]
    Where are you getting this? https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...M:gen:PTN:FY21

    They don't say that. They said no booster for under 65. Big difference.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  19. #13894
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    9,265
    “I am surprised that Dr. Walensky overturned one of the four A.C.I.P. votes today, and I believe others will be as well,” said Dr. Yvonne Maldonado, an infectious disease expert at Stanford and the American Academy of Pediatrics liaison to the committee.

    But the vote on boosters for occupational risk “was close,” Dr. Maldonado said, and agreed with Dr. Walensky’s decision.
    All reports so far say she sat in on all the ACIP discussions and understood why the votes were so close. It appears aligning with the previously announced FDA position was part of her objective. Not a big scandal but hey Fox will do what they can.

    I assume skidog was thinking ‘booster’ when he typed ‘vaccine’?

  20. #13895
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    14,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Where are you getting this? https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...M:gen:PTN:FY21

    They don't say that. They said no booster for under 65. Big difference.
    You're wrong. If you are a "front line worker" under 65 your are asked to get booster despite the CDC advisory panel voting AGAINST that 16 to 2. Because there isn't enough DATA. You know SCIENCE? Guess Walensky knows better?

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...ector.amp.html

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

  21. #13896
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    14,392
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    All reports so far say she sat in on all the ACIP discussions and understood why the votes were so close. It appears aligning with the previously announced FDA position was part of her objective. Not a big scandal but hey Fox will do what they can.

    I assume skidog was thinking ‘booster’ when he typed ‘vaccine’?
    Lol yeah she explained why she went against 16 of her advisors, but it's a nothing burger.she follows the science man...even though the panel said the "science" wasn't there.

    But yeah it has nothing to do with Joe's "get jabbed" campaign.

    Love how y'all shift things round, blame "fox news" (this story is on all major networks), claim y'all follow science, but when science isn't there it's ok the make an opinion based decision to suit your objective.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

  22. #13897
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    14,392
    Sorry she only disagreed with 9 of her advisors...

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

  23. #13898
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,097
    Why are you not addressing the FDA's decision to authorize the use of the vaccine booster for 65+ and other at risk workers? It appears the decision is at odds with the CDC panel, but supported by the FDA. It's clear there isn't support for booster shots for the general population at FDA or CDC.

    Politics certainly played a small part in the decision, but it's not like they are out offering something that the FDA didn't authorize or recommend.

    Edit - Note that the CDC recommendation is that at risk groups like healthcare workers “may” receive a vaccination while for other groups it is “should”. They are not asking anyone in that category to get the shot, they are saying you may get it if you choose.

    So I guess it's back to you to explain how an FDA panel looked at the data and made a decision to authorize and recommend "against the science".

    I’ll post the link to the actual announcement:

    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

  24. #13899
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    15,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    You're wrong. If you are a "front line worker" under 65 your are asked to get booster despite the CDC advisory panel voting AGAINST that 16 to 2. Because there isn't enough DATA. You know SCIENCE? Guess Walensky knows better?

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...ector.amp.html

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    You said the CDC advises against getting vaccinated if under 65. You are wrong. The CDC recommends people under 65, and 12 and over get vaccinated. Stop spreading false information

  25. #13900
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    14,392
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Why are you not addressing the FDA's decision to authorize the use of the vaccine booster for 65+ and other at risk workers? It appears the decision is at odds with the CDC panel, but supported by the FDA. It's clear there isn't support for booster shots for the general population at FDA or CDC.

    Politics certainly played a small part in the decision, but it's not like they are out offering something that the FDA didn't authorize or recommend.

    Edit - Note that the CDC recommendation is that at risk groups like healthcare workers “may” receive a vaccination while for other groups it is “should”. They are not asking anyone in that category to get the shot, they are saying you may get it if you choose.

    So I guess it's back to you to explain how an FDA panel looked at the data and made a decision to authorize and recommend "against the science".

    I’ll post the link to the actual announcement:

    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ster-shot.html
    65+ I have no issue with. What I see is the issue is the panel did not want to go lower than 65 without pre existing conditions. Walensky decision goes against the panel and now advises people over 18 in high risk jobs should also get booster, even though the panel said the data wasn't there for that decision.

    Why is that so hard to understand?

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •