Page 261 of 929 FirstFirst ... 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 ... LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,525 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Splat is ahead already.
    Heh.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Once again, Deeb is the dumbest one in the room. Let's all at least acknowledge that there has to be one.

“Compared to unvaccinated people, vaccinated people are less likely to get infected by all of the strains, including the variants,” Bollinger told Reuters via email. “If they are less likely to get infected with variants, they are also less likely to spread variants,” he added.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Once again, Deeb is the dumbest one in the room. Let's all at least acknowledge that there has to be one.

“Compared to unvaccinated people, vaccinated people are less likely to get infected by all of the strains, including the variants,” Bollinger told Reuters via email. “If they are less likely to get infected with variants, they are also less likely to spread variants,” he added.
    We needed a news article to come to this conclusion? My god, we're all doomed!

And for those questioning natural vs. vaccine mediated immunity, here is (some) of the scientific basis for the above statement...

Antibodies elicited by mRNA-1273 vaccination bind more broadly to the receptor binding domain than do those from SARS-CoV-2 infection

Binding Breadth
    Antibody responses elicited by natural infection or vaccination against the same target are known to differ. However, the extent to which antibody responses to the SARS-CoV-2 receptor binding domain (RBD) differ between vaccination and infection has not been fully characterized. Here, Greaney et al. demonstrated that neutralizing antibodies elicited by immunization with the Moderna mRNA-1273 vaccine were more focused to the RBD than those elicited by natural infection. However, vaccination-elicited antibodies targeted a broader range of epitopes within the RBD than infection-elicited antibodies. These findings demonstrate that the type of exposure, including different types of vaccines or infection, can influence the antibody response to SARS-CoV-2.

Abstract
    The emergence of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) variants with mutations in key antibody epitopes has raised concerns that antigenic evolution could erode adaptive immunity elicited by prior infection or vaccination. The susceptibility of immunity to viral evolution is shaped in part by the breadth of epitopes targeted by antibodies elicited by vaccination or natural infection. To investigate how human antibody responses to vaccines are influenced by viral mutations, we used deep mutational scanning to compare the specificity of polyclonal antibodies elicited by either two doses of the mRNA-1273 COVID-19 vaccine or natural infection with SARS-CoV-2. The neutralizing activity of vaccine-elicited antibodies was more targeted to the receptor-binding domain (RBD) of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein compared to antibodies elicited by natural infection. However, within the RBD, binding of vaccine-elicited antibodies was more broadly distributed across epitopes compared to infection-elicited antibodies. This greater binding breadth means that single RBD mutations have less impact on neutralization by vaccine sera compared to convalescent sera. Therefore, antibody immunity acquired by natural infection or different modes of vaccination may have a differing susceptibility to erosion by SARS-CoV-2 evolution.

https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/13/600/eabi9915.full
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I'm liking this local article to get people motivated to get vaccinated: https://www.ksl.com/article/50203501...get-vaccinated

but the ending is quite the kicker, from his wife:

"Lori Hartle said she is trying to sort out how she feels about getting the shots after her husband's illness."That is a tricky question. One would think that I would run out and go get the vaccine myself. We're very religious people and having watched him go through this has been heartbreaking," she said, calling it "something to take to prayer and see if it's right for me. I don't know what my choice is yet. That's something I'm still thinking about."

May god have mercy on these dimwits, they need all the help they can get I think.

Once again, Deeb is the dumbest one in the room. Let's all at least acknowledge that there has to be one
    Excellent point, someone’s got to be the one. Same reason I still have a CD by Marky and the Unexplained Stains, one CD has to be the worst. If I got rid of it, which one would take the crown?

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Excellent point, someone’s got to be the one. Same reason I still have a CD by Marky and the Unexplained Stains, one CD has to be the worst. If I got rid of it, which one would take the crown?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    but the ending is quite the kicker, from his wife:
    May god have mercy on these dimwits, they need all the help they can get I think.
    Indeed amazing. I took a peek at the article comments and was pleasantly surprised on how many were proVax. But, of course and without fail, a sizeable loud dimwit crowd too - repeating the same tropes and disprovable claims recited here by our PR under-achievers. The variations of "my cousins, neighbor's nephew got the shot and 6 hours later his dog started limping" are breathtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    The variations of "my cousins, neighbor's nephew got the shot and 6 hours later his dog started limping" are breathtaking.
    Must admit, that was damn funny
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Vaccine hostility among conservatives hardening.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...fa8_story.html
    At this point I say let the fuckers die. Closing things up again won't help because the antivaxers will still be spreading it and breeding mutations. The small chance that the fully vaccinated will get sick is an acceptable risk IMO. I'm not willing to stop living my life because of douchebags who refuse to get a shot.
    It's time to stop trying to convince people, except to get shots to those who want them or potentially want them but for one reason or another haven't.

In the meantime maybe the govt can stop any financial support for unvaccinated covid patients--leaving them on the hook for huge medical bills might change some minds and there's no reason the rest of us should pay them to be idiots.

There are plenty of places in the world that would love our vaccines if we're not going to use them.
    Last edited by old goat; 07-15-2021 at 03:15 PM.

As one with unvaxed kids, including one who may fit the high risk category: fuck that^^!

Also, plenty of under 18 yo with one parent that will not allow their kid to get vaxed.

More press releases about breakthrough cases: https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-las...fV065ADO6PtWGI

Apologies if already addressed previously: is there any data examining the break through risk associated with increasing exposure i.e. at what point will the increasing number of (unvaccinated) cases begin to directly increase the break through numbers (ignoring the mutation issue for now)?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Also, plenty of under 18 yo with one parent that will not allow their kid to get vaxed.
    Anyone in that situation would be well advised to get the fuck out, hopefully with the kid in tow.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    As one with unvaxed kids, including one who may fit the high risk category: fuck that^^!

More press releases about breakthrough cases: https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-las...fV065ADO6PtWGI
    The problem is -- the same people will be unvaxed and spreading the virus in a year, two years, 5 years. Every week the number of newly vaxed goes down. So if things are closed up again--for how long? If you said until vaccine approved for kids and they have had a reasonable chance to get it I guess I couldn't argue with that. But the problem will still be all the unvaxed unmasked people they'll be exposed to, including their kids at school. Given the still low risk to kids, the expected poor compliance if closures are reimposed, the failure of online school especially for the educationally vulnerable, it seems to me that the most reasonable course is for the parents of under 12's to mask, avoid optional gatherings, continue to work from home if possible, etc.--in other words exactly what you would be doing if closures were reimposed and with just as much protection as if the restrictions applied to everyone.

If it were up to me proof of vaccination would be required for most activities or masks would be required if no proof of vaccination, but we know that isn't happening in America.

Every day I’m getting more convinced that OG is right. It sucks for those with kids or immune issues but with one political party all in on convincing people to not get vaccinated it’s going to continue to spread like crazy. I don’t think we have much of a choice at this point, those that can’t get the shot may have to hunker down a bit longer. The faster it spreads through the idiots, the sooner we can reach herd immunity.

Interesting opinion piece in the Washington Post the other day comparing Vermont to South Dakota. Both have low current case counts with similar populations. VT got there with 80% vaccinated and SD got there with less than 50% vaccinated. They estimate that up to 50% of the state got Covid giving them the same high level of immunity as VT. At its worse SD had 160/100k of daily cases while VT never exceeded 30/100k. SD had six times the overall death rate. VT has lower unemployment so the restrictions didn’t hurt the economy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...id-19-lessons/

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The problem is -- the same people will be unvaxed and spreading the virus in a year, two years, 5 years. Every week the number of newly vaxed goes down. So if things are closed up again--for how long? If you said until vaccine approved for kids and they have had a reasonable chance to get it I guess I couldn't argue with that. But the problem will still be all the unvaxed unmasked people they'll be exposed to, including their kids at school. Given the still low risk to kids, the expected poor compliance if closures are reimposed, the failure of online school especially for the educationally vulnerable, it seems to me that the most reasonable course is for the parents of under 12's to mask, avoid optional gatherings, continue to work from home if possible, etc.--in other words exactly what you would be doing if closures were reimposed and with just as much protection as if the restrictions applied to everyone.

If it were up to me proof of vaccination would be required for most activities or masks would be required if no proof of vaccination, but we know that isn't happening in America.
    That's how it is in France, starting August, you want to go to a restaurant or concert, you need to be vaccinated or a very recent negative test.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

"All unvaccinated Americans must report to get a 666 tattoo on their foreheads by September 1."

Can someone tell me again why Canada should open the border ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    "All unvaccinated Americans must report to get a 666 tattoo on their foreheads by September 1."
    Does the homebrew vaccine count?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    .... it seems to me that the most reasonable course is for the parents of under 12's to mask, avoid optional gatherings, continue to work from home if possible, etc.--in other words exactly what you would be doing if closures were reimposed and with just as much protection as if the restrictions applied to everyone.
    The problem with putting masks on the vulnerable and no one else is that masks work Much better when they're worn by the infected than they do as protection for the uninfected. Take what you can get, obviously, but masking only the vulnerable is not as much protection as if the restrictions applied to everyone.

Kids were good about masking. Let's not underestimate their vulnerability based on the results of better behavior. The answer, especially for kids and especially since the idiot parents are going to ramp up the stupid, is this:

If it were up to me proof of vaccination would be required for most activities or masks would be required if no proof of vaccination, but we know that isn't going to happen in America.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

I feel like that sometimes but I have a 2 yo and 6 week old.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Damn. Whole reason I got vaxxed to get the pandemic over was so I wouldn't have to wash my hands after using the bathroom.

My family is very sick of that joke and all of my variations of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Every day I’m getting more convinced that OG is right. It sucks for those with kids or immune issues but with one political party all in on convincing people to not get vaccinated it’s going to continue to spread like crazy. I don’t think we have much of a choice at this point, those that can’t get the shot may have to hunker down a bit longer. The faster it spreads through the idiots, the sooner we can reach herd immunity.

Interesting opinion piece in the Washington Post the other day comparing Vermont to South Dakota. Both have low current case counts with similar populations. VT got there with 80% vaccinated and SD got there with less than 50% vaccinated. They estimate that up to 50% of the state got Covid giving them the same high level of immunity as VT. At its worse SD had 160/100k of daily cases while VT never exceeded 30/100k. SD had six times the overall death rate. VT has lower unemployment so the restrictions didn’t hurt the economy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...id-19-lessons/
    ... didn't hurt the economy as much in VT. But, I know of plenty of people who are hurting here economically. Of course a bunch of them were furloughed fed workers.

Canada will pass the USA in fully vaccinated % of population tomorrow. Germany, Italy, France will do the same soon.

Perhaps the Delta spread will convince the unvaxxed to get their shit together.