Page 809 of 929 FirstFirst ... 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 ... LastLast
Results 20,201 to 20,225 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    My entire family is vaxxed and boosted. Daughter living with us is a server and in college. Daughter living with us gets it, misses me and the wife. I get it, wife still misses it.

Wife and PA daughter are both in a hospital setting, both exposed routinely, neither have gotten it.

PA daughter spends a ton of time in the ER on consults, ICU's, rounding on the floors, and in the OR; so far bulletproof (or totally asymptomatic).

Doc just prescribed me a round of doxycycline to try to kick the congestion/cough.
    Damn. Heal up buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Yup. Got flu shot in fall. Unfortunately I heard that this year's shot missed the dominant strain. Oh well, I still get mine every year.
    It will still give protection against severe disease
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    1) Seeds of doubt have been planted by dubious sources and now that there is good data those sources make no mention.

2) “I haven’t gotten around to it” says a friend of mine.

3) “everyone is going to get it”

4) “I dont want to keep getting boosters after the boosters”
    I think all of these contribute, but especially #3 in light of Omicron.

I haven't (knowingly) had the big C, but got three shots plus flu, and survived four weeks in Jackson and Big Sky, plus a bit of Denver and SLC, and nary a sniffle. Pack trams, pack apres at the Moose, hardly a mask at hockey games or stores (other then our California contingent) and I am still standing.

I was cautious, but never obsessive, mostly just common sense type things, so something is working.

Since there is no down side to any of the things I have done, I highly recommend them. Get vaccinated, wear a mask in crowded situations, avoid unnecessary crowds, stand a few feet apart when possible, wash your hands, etc. None of that has cost me a cent, is of minor inconvenience, and other then feeling a little punky after the vax, was just not a big deal. Why others make it such an issue is just beyond me. This should not be a political issue...too bad some have made it such.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think all of these contribute, but especially #3 in light of Omicron.
    Valid point, but it would not likely need to be a point at all if people had responded to this properly in the first place.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Yup. And it's not like I can unvaccinate myself. I still get the flu shot every year.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A lot of what you guys are talking about--the wealthy gaming the system with SAT test takers, essay writers, donations, etc--really only applies to the top tier private colleges. (With athletes it's a different story.) With most schools just about anyone who has the potential to graduate can get in--or get into a different school just as good. IF they can afford it.

No. Scott Galaway has written a ton about this. When he was admitted to UCLA in around 1980 (?), they had a 70ish percentage acceptance rate. Now it's 12%. It is much harder and much more expensive to get a degree these days, even from state schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Why has the booster rollout here in that states been so poor? The same people that got their 2 shots aren't lining up for their boosters at the same rate. Same goes for the 5-11 age cohort with poor vaccination rates. What gives?
    Good question? Covid fatigue? First shots worked so they think they are still good? Whatever the reason, it is ultimately their call to be behind someone fully vaxed if they need to go to the hospital for services. At least they are still in front of the non vaxed. O, or that is how it should be. Sorry about that little scare.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    It is much harder and much more expensive to get a degree these days, even from state schools.
    absolutely true

it is however mostly not true that everyone above middle income is "gaming the system"

studying, even tutoring, is not gaming the system
    planning for college by doing more extracurriculars is not gaming the system
    being wealthy, while it confers comfort, is not gaming the system. Yes, it reflects financial stability, but it isn't a cheat code...effort has to be put in

as with anything, there are a few special assholes who will cheat and do anything to achieve their selfish goals

and college has been promoted to everyone so everyone has an expectation of going. that just wasn't the case 50yrs ago. so, it's naturally harder to get in. nothing wrong with that.

what is problematic is when no one can afford your product such that most scales of income need a loan to participate

I guess that we can all start talking about the 4th Corona vaccine. Pfizer is testing an Omicron vax. ...Coming to a Walmart near you...
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

People should look at how many vaccines they had as a kid. Or that their kids themselves got. Like how many polio shots you got. How many measles. How many hepatitis B shots etc etc.

Because I’ve heard a bunch of people complaining about the booster and saying “well this I stupid why do we need 3 shots against this? What’s next…a fourth shot? Cmon man! Big pharma is behind this I bet”

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Two of America's top epidemiologist think China's zero COVID strategy is a huge mistake. Mainly because with Omicron, it is not possible and their vaccine doesn't work against Omicron. Their healthcare system will not be able to handle the onslaught that is about to take place.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/25/o...smid=url-share
    Maybe we should import epidemiologists from China. Their recent peak of 200 cases per day looks like winning. Sure hope they can handle that surge. China, New Zealand, and Taiwan are each averaging 60 cases/day now. If we wanted, we could have a high quality diversified epidemiologist supply chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    No. Scott Galaway has written a ton about this. When he was admitted to UCLA in around 1980 (?), they had a 70ish percentage acceptance rate. Now it's 12%. It is much harder and much more expensive to get a degree these days, even from state schools.
    A) UCLA is a top tier public university. There are plenty of Cal State branches that are easy to get into, (like the one my undocumented immigrant partner went to before he went to med school and then became a vascular surgeon, until he decided at age 50 he wanted to be a heart surgeon too.) But a bad idea if you want to be a SCOTUS justice. I don't think even Stanford works for that.
    B) It's a lot harder to game your way into top state schools. No legacy admits. It does help if you can block, tackle, throw, catch or shoot baskets.
    C) Plenty of lesser known private colleges, many of which admit a high percentage of applicants and offer need based assistance. Still, the cost is a huge barrier for way too many as we all know.
    D( who is Scott Galloway?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I’ve heard this before about other vaccines but it’s hard to recall….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Maybe we should import epidemiologists from China. Their recent peak of 200 cases per day looks like winning. Sure hope they can handle that surge. China, New Zealand, and Taiwan are each averaging 60 cases/day now. If we wanted, we could have a high quality diversified epidemiologist supply chain.
    I think the idea is that China will not be able to isolate their way out of the pandemic...who knows if that's true or not. I get the idea that having to keep their society perpetually locked down is probably not good for business...then again, it's China and they fuck with their populace all the time.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A) UCLA is a top tier public university. There are plenty of Cal State branches that are easy to get into, (like the one my undocumented immigrant partner went to before he went to med school and then became a vascular surgeon, until he decided at age 50 he wanted to be a heart surgeon too.) But a bad idea if you want to be a SCOTUS justice. I don't think even Stanford works for that.
    Sandra Day O'Connor went to Stanford undergrad and law school. As did William Rehnquist. And Earl Warren went to Cal undergrad and law.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    I think the idea is that China will not be able to isolate their way out of the pandemic...who knows if that's true or not.
    No way they are able to do this... they're hosting the Olympics in like a week, aren't they? No fucking way...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    No way they are able to do this... they're hosting the Olympics in like a week, aren't they? No fucking way...
    It'll be interesting to watch. NZ and TW are able to get it done so far, so I'd expect China can do it too. Long term game plan could get interesting. Presumably they'd want to allow travelers again, but few travelers will come with a quarantine on the way in. OTOH, it's worked for two years already, and China's had some of the best pandemic economic growth. Maybe there will be a vaccine or therapeutic breakthrough that allows a safe reopening. Maybe they stay closed for a decade or two.

I'm hoping for an annual FluVid Booster next fall and every fall for the foreseeable future.. If you can get both at the same time, why not one shot?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Moderna is beginning human trials for an Omicron-specific vaccine:

Moderna announced Wednesday that the first participant has been dosed in the company's Phase 2 clinical trial of a coronavirus vaccine booster shot that is specific to the Omicron variant.

"We are reassured by the antibody persistence against Omicron at six months after the currently authorized 50 μg booster of mRNA-1273. Nonetheless, given the long-term threat demonstrated by Omicron's immune escape, we are advancing our Omicron-specific variant vaccine booster candidate and we are pleased to begin this part of our Phase 2 study," CEO Stéphane Bancel said in a news release. "We are also evaluating whether to include this Omicron-specific candidate in our multivalent booster program."
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/26/healt...ter/index.html

Can't find the post right now, but someone was saying that us deaths are way down.

They've been rising and now they are over 3000 a day, now greater than the April 20 and oct 21 peaks.

New cases are trending down though.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    It's booster day!! Had Omicron at xmas, and scheduled the booster for today so maximum immunity kicks in juuuust as I get on the plane to head to BC in a couple weeks.

Gonna feel powerful like a Greek god walking around out there. Kind of looking forward to the booster sickness tomorrow so I can do minimal work and just watch ski movies, nap, and play Call of Duty all day.
    So next day and I don't feel anything, except for a sore arm. But it hurt when she put the needle in, so I don't think it's the vaccine making it sore.

So based on my small sample size of 1 person, if you had this...

AZ + Moderna + Omicron + Moderna

...then you will have no vaccine symptoms.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Not sure what metric ever one uses but I been using this one

USA breaks 900K covid dead which seemed pretty quick apres the 800K mark

so it would appear people are still dying
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Not sure what metric ever one uses but I been using this one

USA breaks 900K covid dead which seemed pretty quick apres the 800K mark

so it would appear people are still dying
    If you're not #1, you're not trying hard enough.