Page 805 of 929 FirstFirst ... 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 ... LastLast
Results 20,101 to 20,125 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Well, I'm a week out of quarantine for the 'vid. Still down on energy, still have the hack in upper respiratory system, can't sleep at night, and periods of cold/hot.

Biggest issue however, is my eyes seem to be erratic in movement. I tried to shoot pool Tuesday, and when I tried to focus on the cue ball, it kept dancing around. Eyes do not seem to be tracking smoothly.

Anti-vaxxer in my office has decided that back in 1986, big pharma got immunity from liability for vaccines, thus there is no testing on vaccines because BP can't be sued so all vaccines, including this one, are a racket to make $$$. Then proceeds to tell me that BP has paid out billions over faulty vaccines. Amazing logic.

Oh yeah, she is the one that infected me but of course didn't test until I came back hot. So far, my downstream tree is about 15.

They say the R0 of Omicron is over 10...

Good update on what is going on with vaccine approval for under 5:

"the week before Christmas, Pfizer announced that two little-kid-size doses of vaccine had failed to elicit a hefty-enough immune response in 2-, 3-, and 4-year olds in late-stage trials. (Doubly dosed kids in the six-month-to-2-year-old range, though, did produce enough antibodies to satisfy the company’s criteria.)"

Rather than increase dosage, or space shots farther apart, the latest plan is to give them the same two shots as before but add a third shot because this appears to be the fastest way to regulatory authorization. Since the 2 shot vaccine did work for under 2 there is discussion of sticking with that for under 2 and going with 3 shots for the 2-5 age. But ultimately seems they will go with 3 shots for both age groups as that is the easiest logistically. Still will be a few months out, at the earliest, before approval.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-doses/621334/

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Good update on what is going on with vaccine approval for under 5:

"the week before Christmas, Pfizer announced that two little-kid-size doses of vaccine had failed to elicit a hefty-enough immune response in 2-, 3-, and 4-year olds in late-stage trials. (Doubly dosed kids in the six-month-to-2-year-old range, though, did produce enough antibodies to satisfy the company’s criteria.)"

Rather than increase dosage, or space shots farther apart, the latest plan is to give them the same two shots as before but add a third shot because this appears to be the fastest way to regulatory authorization. Since the 2 shot vaccine did work for under 2 there is discussion of sticking with that for under 2 and going with 3 shots for the 2-5 age. But ultimately seems they will go with 3 shots for both age groups as that is the easiest logistically. Still will be a few months out, at the earliest, before approval.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-doses/621334/
    Thanks for that. Would love to get the 2 year old vaccinated. My worries have subsided over time, but you just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    They say the R0 of Omicron is over 10...
    Name:  330px-Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  15.1 KB
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

As anti-vaccine activists from across the country prepare to gather on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday, they are hoping their rally will mark a once-fringe movement’s arrival as a lasting force in American society.

That hope, some public health experts fear, is justified.

Almost two years into the coronavirus pandemic, the movement to challenge vaccines’ safety — and reject vaccine mandates — has never been stronger. An ideology whose most notable adherents were once religious fundamentalists and minor celebrities is now firmly entrenched among tens of millions of Americans.

Baseless fears of vaccines have been a driving force among the approximately 20 percent of U.S. adults who have refused some of the most effective medicines in human history: the mRNA vaccines developed against the coronavirus by Pfizer, with German partner BioNTech, and Moderna. The nation that produced Jonas Salk has exported anti-vaccine propaganda around the globe, wreaking havoc on public-health campaigns from Germany to Kenya.

That propaganda has also found its way into many reaches of American life. It has invaded people’s offices and shaped the daily decisions of school principals. It has riven families and boosted political campaigns. What was once an overwhelming public consensus on vaccine safety is now a new front in the nation’s culture wars. It is no accident that some in the anti-vaccine movement are describing Sunday’s rally as their first equivalent of the March for Life, the annual antiabortion rally that took place in Washington on Friday.

“Our worst worries have been manifested,” said Joe Smyser, chief executive of the Public Good Projects, a nonprofit group that tracks and seeks to combat vaccine misinformation. “These fringe ideas are no longer fringe ideas.”

Despite signs from the earliest days of the pandemic that the anti-vaccine movement was advancing its cause by preying on the uncertainty and social division that accompanied the virus, the U.S. public health establishment never mounted a true counteroffensive, Smyser said — a view shared by other public health experts and epidemiologists.

“I think we were really naive,” he said. “This movement was allowed to get stronger and stronger with almost no pushback.”

The 153 most influential anti-vaccine social media accounts and groups have accumulated 2.9 million net new followers since January 2020, according to the Center for Countering Digital Hate, an advocacy organization focused on fighting vaccine misinformation. Imran Ahmed, the center’s chief executive, said those gains are especially remarkable in light of social media platforms’ renewed efforts to crack down on vaccine misinformation.

A 26-year-old film editor’s descent into coronavirus vaccine conspiracy theories

Vaccine skeptics notched another victory just last week, when the U.S. Supreme Court blocked President Biden’s vaccination requirement for large employers. (A smaller mandate for workers at health-care facilities that get federal funding was left intact.)

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a longtime anti-vaccine activist who will speak at Sunday’s march, said the widening distrust of vaccines is an organic outgrowth of people’s firsthand experiences with negative side effects from the coronavirus vaccines. He pointed to the large number of reports of reactions to those vaccines now on file in the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), a database maintained by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

More than 750,000 such reports have been filed from the United States and its territories. But claims of bad reactions in VAERS have not been independently verified, and anyone can make them. Controlled studies of the coronavirus vaccines offer a more accurate picture of how they work, and those studies have repeatedly shown the medicines cause no serious side effects for the overwhelming majority of people who receive them.

Kennedy said the growing number of infections among the vaccinated from the omicron variant of the coronavirus has also eroded public confidence in a key selling point for vaccine mandates — that they stop the spread of the virus to vulnerable populations.

Although the vaccines are markedly less effective at stopping infection by the new variant, early evidence suggests they still confer protection against hospitalization or death.

“I think there’s a lot more skepticism,” Kennedy said. “You have a product that simply does not work as advertised.”

What remains to be seen is whether the movement’s success in sowing fear of the coronavirus vaccines can be translated to a broader public rejection of other forms of inoculation, chiefly the immunization of children against diseases such as measles and diphtheria. Casting doubt on such vaccines and erasing school mandates requiring them were the anti-vaccine movement’s long-standing goals before the emergence of the coronavirus.

Tara C. Smith, a professor of epidemiology at the Kent State University College of Public Health, said it is far too early for the movement to declare victory on those fronts. Arguments that have proved effective against the mRNA vaccines, like questioning their relative novelty and the possibility of long-term side effects, could be less convincing when it comes to established vaccines that many American adults received decades ago without being harmed.

“What will we see when things are somewhat back to normal, and covid doesn’t dominate everything every day? Is this going to bleed over into other things, like childhood vaccinations? I really don’t know,” Smith said. “And that’s the fear.”

Several pediatricians interviewed by The Washington Post said they are not yet seeing an increase in the number of parents refusing vaccines for their children, but there are worrisome signs.

Deborah Greenhouse, a pediatrician in Columbia, S.C., said she has fielded eyebrow-raising questions from parents. Some, repeating a conspiracy theory that has circulated since early in the pandemic, ask whether the coronavirus vaccine injections will implant microchips in their children’s bodies. Others accuse her and other pediatricians of promoting the vaccines for personal profit. One father worried that a coronavirus test swab would give his child cancer.

“This has been the most frustrating time period in my entire career,” said Greenhouse, who has been a pediatrician for nearly 30 years.

Greenhouse said she has not seen an uptick of similar concerns about other vaccines among her patients, but worries it could just be a matter of time.

“It’s truly frightening for the future,” she said.

The scientific case for the full range of vaccines recommended by public health authorities in the United States remains as solid as ever. Research has shown those vaccines — which have all but eliminated diseases that once sickened, debilitated or killed millions every year — to be safe for the vast majority of those who receive them. The 1998 study by Andrew Wakefield that claimed a link between a common childhood vaccine and autism, launching the modern anti-vaccination movement, was exposed as fraudulent.

The mRNA coronavirus vaccines have proved to be some of the best ever added to physicians’ arsenal. As of October, according to the most recent estimates from the CDC, those who received two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines and a booster were 40 times less likely to die of the virus than the unvaccinated. The CDC on Friday released studies showing that the vaccines continue to provide robust protection against hospitalization from the omicron variant, even if they no longer ward off infection as effectively.

Nevertheless, national surveys show about 1 in 5 U.S. adults remain unvaccinated. Among children ages 5 to 11, who became eligible for the shots in November, fewer than 20 percent are vaccinated.
    An 8-year-old girl wears a sticker on her shirt after receiving a coronavirus vaccine in November 2021. (David Goldman/AP)

A November poll from the Kaiser Family Foundation found majorities of unvaccinated adults saying they will “definitely not” get a vaccine and are not confident in the vaccines’ safety.

Republicans were much more likely than Democrats to reject the vaccines — another ominous sign for public health officials, who worry that resistance to inoculation could become a permanent trapping of political identity.

Eric Topol, a professor of molecular medicine at Scripps Research, said the enthusiasm ahead of Sunday’s rally is a dispiriting reminder of how little has been done to combat the anti-vaccine movement’s rise over the past two years.

Topol said he has repeatedly, but unsuccessfully, urged federal health officials to do more to counter rampant falsehoods about vaccines.

“Misinformation spreads far quicker and more broadly than truth,” Topol said. “The administration does nothing to call them out, and that has left them to continue to grow like a metastasis. They just get bigger and more toxic, and they hoodwink and bamboozle more people who might have been neutral.”

The CDC did not respond to requests for comment about what it’s done to counter vaccine safety misinformation.
    Another cult
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    95% of England has immunity either through infection or vaccination (72% fully vaccinated rate). They are dropping mandatory masks in public and vaccine passport rules, and no longer recommend people work from home. No more masks in secondary schools.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-60047438

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...hts/antibodies
    BoJo's solution to facing a political crisis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    And a pass for his own major violation of those mandates.

Ordered my 4 rapid at-home covid tests from covidtests.gov today. Super easy. Just had to provide my name, address, and (optional) email.

No questions about insurance or anything else. And no cost.

They estimate it will take 7-12 days to process the order, so not for people who need testing right away, but it will be good to have on hand if the need arises down the road.

I was going to mention a new cdc study but. ?

Prior COVID infection more protective than vaccination during Delta surge -U.S. study
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I was going to mention a new cdc study but. ?

Prior COVID infection more protective than vaccination during Delta surge -U.S. study
    You know the drill. Post the source.
    And also: who cares?

Antivaxers: we’ll just get covid to protect us!

Normal people: protect you from what?

Av: from getting covid!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Exactly

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

nice little table on the risk factors from BC
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Conservative media sources were all crowing yesterday that CDC said people who got covid prior to delta survived the delta surge better than vaccinated people, implying “natural immunity - we told you so”, as if anyone knew anything

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post

Antivaxers: we’ll just get covid to protect us!

Normal people: protect you from what?

Av: from getting covid!
    ROTFLMAO

To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    ROTFLMAO
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Conservative media sources were all crowing yesterday that CDC said people who got covid prior to delta survived the delta surge better than vaccinated people, implying “natural immunity - we told you so”, as if anyone knew anything
    The study doesn't say anything about survival, just case and hospitalization rates.
    The study includes people who had completed 2 doses. Doesn't differentiate people who had 3.
    The group with the lowest case rates had both previous infection and vaccination.

I would also point out that the study refers to people who survived their first case of covid. Dying of your first case is the best way to not get a second case. But not advised.

^^^Thank you OG!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

I would also point out that the study refers to people who survived their first case of covid. Dying of your first case is the best way to not get a second case. But not advised.
    So the best way to protect yourself in 2022 is to have died in 2020 or 2021? Seems like a good plan.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

when I mentioned to my surgeon that death would eliminate Pain, he said,
    ' That sounds like an extreme measure. '

skiJ
    Last edited by skiJ; 01-23-2022 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    So the best way to protect yourself in 2022 is to have died in 2020 or 2021? Seems like a good plan.
    I guess it all depends on how you measure success.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    when I mentioned to my surgeon that death would eliminate Pain, he said,
    ' That sounds like and extreme measure. '

skiJ
    I frequently told my old, frail patients who were sent to me for some big operation that they would likely not die but there are outcomes worse than dying.

I frequently told my old, frail patients who were sent to me for some big operation that they would likely not die but there are outcomes worse than dying.
    I knew an old country doctor who said much the same thing OG -

it was heartbreaking to see him develop dementia, and be classified as an Alzheimer's patient at eighty-one.

at eighty-two, his daughter placed him in resident care.

he was there for almost three years -
    one of the last things he said to me was,

'This place is a hotel And a prison. '

as his Eightieth birthday approached, he said, ' There are fates worse than dying. '

oh. one can avoid reinfection by dying the first time. A lot of people did.

I still believe in vaccinating against covid - With timely boosters. skiJ

my ski bud told me he took away his dads ( last WWII vet in town ) trike cuz he was falling off it, pulling out on the hiway at 10kph and generally being a really old guy

so I asked how does he feel about losing his trike ?

no problem cuz he doesnt remember he had a trike, Dave really only remembers pre-1951
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Exactly

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk
    Combined with tough talk about Ukraine and taunting Macron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

John Stockton (former NBA all star) on vaccine deaths in pro athletes:

"I think it's highly recorded now, there's 150 I believe now, it's over 100 professional athletes dead -- professional athletes -- the prime of their life, dropping dead that are vaccinated, right on the pitch, right on the field, right on the court," Stockton said in the documentary interview.