Page 798 of 929 FirstFirst ... 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 ... LastLast
Results 19,926 to 19,950 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Vibes man, similar boat here.
    Dad watching Tucker daily.
    Got one does J&J because you know, MRNA stuff is an experiment on us.
    Brother in Philly is moving out with them to AZ end of month. Parents fly out this morning to get stuff loaded into the truck.
    Brother tests positive 3 days ago and is rather sick, despite two shots and a booster.
    In a few hours they are all going to be together.
    Guess my parents get it too.

Yeah I’m pretty pissed off my parents went down the rabbit hole. Really dumb.
    I won't post the litany of ways I'd like to commiserate because it is political and toxic, but yeah, vibes / brain worms are real.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Was that the beginning of your pHD dissertation?

Your father is disappointed in you. That type of hurt knows no bounds. He probably called you a pussy too, which is why you are slinging the word in my direction, because I bet it hurt...

All of us here would rather have a beer with, and likely get along better with....Your dad instead of you.
    Nope. Add this to your long list of erroneous posts. And as someone else said you are a giant pussy who runs away when your posts get proven as bullshit.

Was that the beginning of your pHD dissertation?

Your father is disappointed in you. That type of hurt knows no bounds. He probably called you a pussy too, which is why you are slinging the word in my direction, because I bet it hurt...

All of us here would rather have a beer with, and likely get along better with....Your dad instead of you.
    Nice debate points.

Mod’s?

Is this a purely personal attack the likes of which is prohibited?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

And the worms ate into his brain.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    "We can't vaccinate the planet every four to six months. It's not sustainable or affordable," Professor Andrew Pollard, the director of the Oxford Vaccine Group and head of the UK's Committee on Vaccination and Immunization
    As jono said in different words, the professor is bad at math. 8 billion people * $20/shot = 160B. The world economy is 100T. Further, $20 is the price for an emergency one-off development. A regular updating of an existing vaccine is likely cheaper.

NYT targets a 6th grade education. 6th graders are also bad at math... and science, and the law, etc.

This doesn't get brought up enough, which is the demise of traditional journalism as the money has all but dried up from local newsrooms, and instead now goes to the modern day robber barons for advertising (Google/Alphabet/Amazon).

Particularly affected is local journalism which used to be the way locals were informed and were able to keep tabs on their elected officials. There's no accountability anymore.
    I expect to be personally attacked for agreeing with Asspen.

Vibes man, similar boat here.
    Dad watching Tucker daily.
    Got one does J&J because you know, MRNA stuff is an experiment on us.
    Brother in Philly is moving out with them to AZ end of month. Parents fly out this morning to get stuff loaded into the truck.
    Brother tests positive 3 days ago and is rather sick, despite two shots and a booster.
    In a few hours they are all going to be together.
    Guess my parents get it too.

Yeah I’m pretty pissed off my parents went down the rabbit hole. Really dumb.
    Thanks. I don’t mind the differing politics when they are genuine policy but when he starts saying things that are mathematically untrue that have been brainwashed into his brain, I call it out.

Sad to see peeps that you love and respect fall into BSland.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Yep, it’s disappointing.

More vibes to the folks with MAGA family. Even my redneck father in law hopped off the trump train when he mocked that handicapped reporter and other assorted childish behavior shitshow events. Dude was a straight up creationist but still listened to doctors over that antivax shitshow. I was pleasantly surprised when he flipped blue in 2016. but only at the top. Straight red down the rest of the ticket of course..

Hopefully BWs vaxxed brother won't still be contagious by the time the folks get there and one JnJ is better than nothing.

Honestly hoping that they manage without serious consequences for going there to help.

Side note. journaling warning... A year ago today I got a call that my mom tested positive and was sent to an elevated care facility... the fucking day before she was scheduled to get vax dose #1. She died on the 23rd. Please get fully vaxxed and wear a decent mask in public indoor spaces around others.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    NYT targets a 6th grade education. 6th graders are also bad at math... and science, and the law, etc.

there’s no accountability because we generally don’t want to hold people in positions of power accountable, not because a lack of journalist scrutiny. And I’d argue part of that is because we are overwhelmed by information and so more focused on a vague narrative which can require tremendous effort to shift; covid didn’t move the meter much. That narrative can be on the order of a first grade conspiracy theory of how the world works e.g “fauci is bad because he conspired with the Chinese to launch a super virus”

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    As jono said in different words, the professor is bad at math. 8 billion people * $20/shot = 160B. The world economy is 100T. Further, $20 is the price for an emergency one-off development. A regular updating of an existing vaccine is likely cheaper.

Pretty sure he's quoting/plagerizing a recent Seattle Time op ed. I'd agree with him if he said meat prices are up and the rent is too dam high and that's about it.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I totally get that we put out flu vaccines every year without clinical trials. And I get that Mofro, Summit, and Old Goat are all saying we should do the same for COVID vaccines. What I am wondering is why this Prof Sir Andrew Pollard guy, who apparently helped make the AstraZeneca vaccine, is telling me he disagrees with the stance of Mofro/Summit/Old Goat, et al?

When I dig in and try decipher why Sir Pollard thinks this way, I get:

"We haven't even managed to vaccinate everyone in Africa with one dose so we're certainly not going to get to a point where fourth doses for everyone is manageable."

He also states that at the current moment, he is not convinced the UK will ever need another booster shot, ever. He qualifies this statement by saying his opinion could change depending on what future variants emerge. And his statement is limited to the situation in the UK, not elsewhere.
    You are confused again. I'm not talking a 4th dose, but a shift in antigenic coverage such that vaccines administered going forward as boosters, AND coverage for 3rd world countries can increase in efficacy towards the relevant circulating strains, isn't out of the question and is entirely plausible.

Many who focus on vaccines,global health,and infectious disease, not just those with science and medical training here on the tgrs, agree.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02854-3
    COVID vaccine makers brace for a variant worse than Delta

Pfizer’s chief executive, Albert Bourla, made a bold promise in June. Standing next to US President Joe Biden at a press conference in St Ives, UK, just before the G7 summit meeting, Bourla said that should the need arise for a new COVID-19 vaccine, his company could get one ready within 100 days.

The need he was referring to is the possible emergence of an ‘escape variant’ — a dominant strain of SARS-CoV-2 that evades the fledgling immunity established through vaccines and previous infections. No such strain has yet been identified, but Pfizer and other leading COVID-19 vaccine makers are gearing up for that scenario.

What does it take to be nimble enough to design and test an updated vaccine against an unknown viral strain, in record time? Nature spoke to three COVID-19 vaccine makers — Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca — to find out exactly how they are preparing.

Dress rehearsal
    Over the past few months, all three companies have been running dress rehearsals by practising on known SARS-CoV-2 variants. This involves updating their vaccines to match variants such as Beta and Delta, testing them in clinical studies, tuning their internal workflows and coordinating with regulators. Their goal is to learn from these warm-up trials and smooth out kinks in their processes, so that they can move fast if, or when, a true escape variant emerges.

“At some point, inevitably, we’re going to have to make variant vaccines — if vaccines are the way population immunity will be maintained — but we’re not at the point where we can confidently predict the evolution of the virus,” says Paul Bieniasz, a virologist at the Rockefeller University in New York City. “Practising with existing variants seems like a reasonable approach.”

Also, see Prof Andrew Pollard- "If indeed we do have ongoing problems with more severe disease, updated vaccines for the new variants may be one of the ways we manage living with the virus in the future."
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    You are confused again. I'm not talking a 4th dose, but a shift in antigenic coverage such that vaccines administered going forward as boosters, AND coverage for 3rd world countries can increase in efficacy towards the relevant circulating strains, isn't out of the question and is entirely plausible.

Many who focus on vaccines,global health,and infectious disease, not just those with science and medical training here on the tgrs, agree.

Also, see Prof Andrew Pollard- "If indeed we do have ongoing problems with more severe disease, updated vaccines for the new variants may be one of the ways we manage living with the virus in the future."
    Ok, all that seams smart. But better start smoothing over the idea of releasing (and presumably mandating) new mRNA COVID vaccines without any clinical trials to the 33% of Americans who remain unvaccinated (but eligible). If they scoff a the OG vaccine as wacky, untested, science, think of their response when they are told they have to shoot up with something that hasn't even gone through a clinical trial. Also have to figure out how to get Africa's vaccination rate above 7%, or all of this discussion seems meaningless.

I don't have an opinion on this issue. Just trying to understand the debate. But I could see people who favor sticking with the original vaccine arguing that we've already had a hard enough time convincing the world to get this thing, let's not bombard them with new shots. I assume, say, 90% of the planet having the original vaccine is better than, say, 50% having the original and another 15% of the wealthy world getting their taylor made designer vaccine booster every six months.

Pretty sure they already release new flu vaccines every year without full three stage clinical trials each iteration/annual change..

Imagine if George Washington had tried to inoculate troops without a double blind placebo controlled trial. Bet we'd have lost the war.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Imagine if George Washington had tried to inoculate troops without a double blind placebo controlled trial. Bet we'd have lost the war.
    You did lose the war, the French saved your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Let's see here. Smallpox had like a 30% mortality rate back in the day. What's COVID mortality like for the average aged healthy young soldier? 0.000001%? Pretty weak how people try to compare the two situations. Apples =/= Oranges

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Let's see here. Smallpox had like a 30% mortality rate back in the day. What's COVID mortality like for the average aged healthy young soldier? 0.000001%? Pretty weak how people try to compare the two situations. Apples =/= Oranges
    There was no COVID back then.. So, it would have been small pox and that wasn't developed until 1798

new mRNA COVID vaccines without any clinical trials
    These vaccines would NOT be NEW. JFC get it through your thick fucking skull.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

So who ate the cracker?
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    He’s doing this just to push buttons.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    What are you talking about? We're talking about developing a NEW vaccine tailored for a NEW variant. Yes, it is the same technology with minimal changes. But it is not the exact same vaccine that is currently being administered. In layman's terms, it's a NEW recipe. Stupid argument because it just comes down to your definition of new.

I'm not pushing buttons. You guys are totally clueless on how a huge chunk of the US thinks. 33% are unvacinated. This isn't some small, isolated, sub group. It's a third of the fucking country. 50% of the world is unvaccinated. Scientist may be very good at developing vaccines but they aren't so good at figuring how to convince Bubba he needs to get a new shot every six months.

He’s doing this just to push buttons.
    AKA, trolling
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Trolling is someone who doesn't believe in what they say just to cause a ruckus. I truly believe it what I say. From the beginning of the pandemic, I thought our entire response was too focused on how to keep our little gated communities safe (i.e. the US) while saying fuck off to the rest of the planet. I'm a big picture, long term thinker. And the big picture, long term, shows that it really doesn't matter if 100% of America is vaccinated with a vaccine made for the dominant variant if Africa and other shit hole countries stay at 7% vaccination. And domestically, I want 100% to get vaccinated but question whether shoving it down the throat of the 33% who remain vaccine skeptical is the right way to accomplish that goal, particularly when we plan to CONTINUALLY vaccinate that 33%. There is nothing wrong with questioning the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    So who ate the cracker?
    You’ve eaten the ookie cookie, sharts

so a 1/3 of the country gets sick, dies, to prove their manhood. Fuck ‘em

Well, my turn to catch the kung flu.

Double vaxxed with moderna, woke up yesterday with fever, chills, cough. Added body aches to the list this morning. Took the monoclonal antibody today, so we'll see if that speeds things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.