Page 503 of 929 FirstFirst ... 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 ... LastLast
Results 12,551 to 12,575 of 23206
    governments around the globe advices to get a vaccination.

not only in the usa

or are u saying all the governments around the globe are all lying.

and name a place where things are better than in your country?

Denmark

Canada, if you'll excuse Alberta, the Texas of Canada.

So it appears that the 4th wave may be subsiding here in Ontario. We're at about 80% of eligible people vaccinated here (not partially), and the past few days have seen a small but steady reduction of the 7-day average and positivity rate. ICU rates seem to have levelled off as well. Everyone is waiting to see what impact return to school will have, but so far it's looking promising. Fingers crossed.

We still wear masks inside public buildings, and in restaurants when you're walking from one location to another or in the washroom. I think that's kind of stupid and ineffective, but whatever. People comply, and I have yet to see any of these r/publicfreakout candidates in my daily travels. Anecdotally I went to a restaurant to meet up with some buddies last night, it was the first time I've dined inside since this whole thing started. Place was packed, and aside from the silly plexiglass barriers it felt like COVID never even happened. Felt good. Price of beer and food has increased by 40% though, WTF happened!

So anyways, USA if you can get to 80% of age 12+ vaccinated and have people wear masks inside enclosed spaces at a ~95% compliance rate, you should be good to go. The good news is there are 2 ways to get to that 80% number. The bad news is one of those ways is expensive and really, really sad.

I'm less optimistic about the Ontario situation. I think Delta is going to rip through elementary schools like wild fire since none of the kids are vaccinated. And as the weather turns to shit, i.e. two weeks from now, there will be a lot more gatherings inside.

Agreed that things have levelled off though, hopefully our case counts can remain stable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I'm less optimistic about the Ontario situation. I think Delta is going to rip through elementary schools like wild fire since none of the kids are vaccinated. And as the weather turns to shit, i.e. two weeks from now, there will be a lot more gatherings inside.

Agreed that things have levelled off though, hopefully our case counts can remain stable.
    A year ago (and I realize things are different now) daily case counts and 7-day averages were already rising prior to school starting. This year the opposite is happening.

Also from what we were told by the untrustworthy government, schools were not a driving factor in spread, and the cases reflected the amount present in the local community. Elementary students are all wearing masks, and they are very good at doing so! High school kids are more or less vaccinated, and more of them are getting vaccines every day. There are reasons to be optimistic.

Either way, we'll see. But, and I realize it's early, so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Retards.
    You know this kind of thing isn't really your best look, Skidog.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    You know this kind of thing isn't really your best look, Skidog.
    Or anyone’s for that matter. Using that word in an argument or to make a point is just a big, flashing neon sign to announce “hey I’m a huge POS and nothing I say is relevant”

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    and name a place where things are better than in your country?
    In lots of other countries the Delta wave wasn't actually that big and it was very short.

Only one country in the world has seen 1-in-500 deaths and is currently averaging 2,000 Covid deaths a day.

My friend in Lynden says the elementary school gives the kids "mask breaks" indoors and not socially distanced.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Also from what we were told by the untrustworthy government, schools were not a driving factor in spread, and the cases reflected the amount present in the local community.
    I'm not quite enough of a stats nerd to do it myself, but I'd love to see someone do a proper deep dive on this platitude. How much separation is there between the community and the schools? Is it actually enough so that if, say, 80% of the inter-household community spread were happening in schools that would actually show up as a meaningful difference between case rates in schools versus the community at large? What if being less symptomatic means the surveillance rate for students is lower than rest of the community? Without contract tracing how would anyone know if the schools were the major spreader?

I'm optimistic about masks working better on kids than adults, and pre-delta/pre-burnout it's believable that that made a big difference. But the evidence that schools are not spreaders of disease seems a little light and is usually presented as "we don't have evidence that it's a problem" which can just mean we aren't willing to look for any.

To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

In addition to simply endangering themselves, the unvaccinated keep the thing spreading and staying around.

I’ve put on my flak jacket and helmet and keep my head on a swivel but the unvaxxed keep the bullets flying.

Daughters classmates, neighbors friend, numerous medical parents, ICUs at 89% capacity in the state.

When will the fuckwads of all persuasions buck up and get the vax for their fellow Americans?

You know, be a patriot.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    Remember when duh ScIeNCe said arrest those outside by themselves without a mask. https://www.latimes.com/california/s...virus-closures
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    And to prove your point you link an article that has nothing to do with arresting someone for being outside without a mask? Nicely done, as usual.
    Perhaps you missed this little gem in that LA Times article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles Times
    The California Coastal Commission, the gatekeeper of the state’s landmark law that deems access to the beach a fundamental right, has allowed local officials to put up temporary signs and barricades citing the need to protect public health and safety.

Kim Prather, a leading atmospheric chemist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, told The Times this week that she fears SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could enter coastal waters and transfer back into the air along the coast.

“I wouldn’t go in the water if you paid me $1 million right now,” she said.
    Especially at the beginning, there was SO much idiocy going on all the way around. From Fauci telling us there was no need for masks to Pelosi saying "CoME oN DoWN to ChYnA TowN!!!" to LA shutting down beaches, arresting paddle boarders, and filling in skate park bowls with sand. The messaging was all over the place (still is) and teh 'ScIeNCE' would have us believing idiotic things like C19 "entering coastal waters transferring back into the air along the coast." /facepalm

Perhaps one the biggest way we botched it all at the beginning was the inconsistency mixed with panic toward the beginning of it all. If you want people to lose faith and trust in our leadership, inconsistency's a great way to go about that. I think that's a big part of how we ended up with so much vaccine hesitancy, myself originally included. Was hard to trust those assholes blindly when they botched it all so much from A to Z. Now that more data's come out regarding the vaccine, I felt much better about it. Still can't blame people for questioning shit, though. Governments (from municipalities to states to Fed) all have to do some real damage control to earn back people's trust IMO.

Perhaps already posted, the biggest hospital in Alaska announced a few days ago that they have started rationing care due to being overcrowded from covid patients.

Color me unsurprised that skidog is unaware of the data confirming that there are scenarios in which your ‘personal’ choice to not wear a seatbelt endangers others. He keeps repeating that he’s vaxxed, and I assume we’ve all believed him, but it’s irrelevant to the criticism of his bullshit posts. If you have POC friends that doesn’t mean your racist statements aren’t racist. We have political trolls here who keep on saying ‘I didn’t vote for Trump’ as if that magically means their bullshit regurgitated talking points are more credible.

Denmark has over 90% of all (not just eligible) people over 50 fully covaxxed and seems on its way toward normalcy.

The tension between personal freedom and community objectives (from clean sidewalks to restaurant worker hand washing to XXX) is often talked about, but at a personal level the trade off is really temporal. Adults consciously make small sacrifices that may take 5 mins of our time or expose us to a 1:1 Million risk of an adverse effect to achieve a longer term benefit for ourselves. This delayed gratification is something toddlers struggle with but these days many adults struggle with it as well.

During the social upheavals of the 60s and 70s the conservatives were arguing that the liberals were focused on instant gratification and limitless personal choice. These days it seems reversed, with the Left saying ‘Do the Right Thing’ and take action against climate change, etc.

To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

It’s funny how people remember the last 18 months in regards to Covid. I didn’t think that the message was unclear, maybe a bit inconsistent at times. The no mask in the beginning was always about conserving the limited amount of masks for healthcare workers. The paddle board guy was arrested for violating a stay at home order, not for being on the water without a mask. If people can put their outrage aside most of the time the message is clear. Headlines grab your attention but the details and data in the text usually align with the overall message of vaccine, mask and social distance. We could probably go back to normal if most people got vaccinated and ditch the last two mitigation efforts. People hear what they want to.

https://www.ktvb.com/mobile/article/...7-62ae2548cc2d

All of Idaho just entered crisis standards of care. There are not enough beds and providers to treat everyone. The head of the governors task force on covid who is a doctor and is a retired CEO of are largest hospital system says the only way out of this is for more people to get vaccinations. We are one of the lowest vaxxed states.

A coworker and friend (conservative unvaxxed) has a sister here with a lung condition that is not covid related. She waited two weeks for an ICU bed, that became available in SLC so she was flown there. Her husband is unvaxxed and is scrambling to find a JJ because he has to wait 14 days post vac to enter the hospital to watch his wife probably die. My buddy who has been against vaxxes, scheduled his. He told me after watching his sister wait for two weeks for a bed he couldn’t be part of the problem anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Looking at Table 1, Spikevax (Moderna) is looking strong against symptomatic infection. Quite a bit better than the other two. Would be nice to see more data in the longer time periods (to tighten the uncertainty range).

Also, I have a different take on the waning immunity vs symptomatic infection than some. Looks to like boosting back to original effectiveness cuts the risk of infection in half. That to me is a good argument for a booster, especially during any surge. Yes, boosting from 80% to 90% is "only" a 10% effectiveness increase - but, turning that around, infection chance drops from 20% to 10%, a 50% risk reduction.

I also wonder if AZ, Pfizer folks should prefer boosting with Moderna. Does a Moderna boost give the same benefits as if they had Moderna originally? The immune system is complicated enough it may not work that way. Perhaps the Canadian mix and match studies give some hints.

Salt - my speculation, preprint, etc.
    A booster definitely cuts the risk of infection and I think they should be made available because it's not a zero sum game. We can do boosters and provide vaccines to the third world. As far as which type Moderna wants a half-shot booster, Pfizer a full shot. The mix and match studies suggest an mRNA shot after an adenovirus vector shot might provide an even better response, but not the other way around. Higher Moderna efficacy probably has more to do with dosage and interval than anything else. Otherwise the differences are minimal.

But it's also important to recognize we're talking about infection, not disease—protection against disease remains high. Because the Delta wave in the United States is so bad right now a lot of people are feeling a loss of control. I think that's why we're seeing all these conspiracy theories, all the distrust of health-care providers, and as a result people are withdrawing from what we know works.

In spite of waning immunity and reduced effectiveness, the vaccines still work. Effectiveness against infection and effectiveness against disease are apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post

Especially at the beginning, there was SO much idiocy going on all the way around. From Fauci telling us there was no need for masks to Pelosi saying "CoME oN DoWN to ChYnA TowN!!!" to LA shutting down beaches, arresting paddle boarders, and filling in skate park bowls with sand. The messaging was all over the place (still is) and teh 'ScIeNCE' would have us believing idiotic things like C19 "entering coastal waters transferring back into the air along the coast." /facepalm

Perhaps one the biggest way we botched it all at the beginning was the inconsistency mixed with panic toward the beginning of it all. If you want people to lose faith and trust in our leadership, inconsistency's a great way to go about that. I think that's a big part of how we ended up with so much vaccine hesitancy, myself originally included. Was hard to trust those assholes blindly when they botched it all so much from A to Z. Now that more data's come out regarding the vaccine, I felt much better about it. Still can't blame people for questioning shit, though. Governments (from municipalities to states to Fed) all have to do some real damage control to earn back people's trust IMO.
    Great second guessing /Monday morning quarterbacking. Shows that you’ve never run anything. You couldnt have done better, 100%, so stfu.

Speaking of your high horse, what did you do during the pandemic to make things better? Or do you only sit there on your hands and snipe with your standard antigovernment drivel?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    It’s funny how people remember the last 18 months in regards to Covid. I didn’t think that the message was unclear, maybe a bit inconsistent at times. The no mask in the beginning was always about conserving the limited amount of masks for healthcare workers. The paddle board guy was arrested for violating a stay at home order, not for being on the water without a mask. If people can put their outrage aside most of the time the message is clear. Headlines grab your attention but the details and data in the text usually align with the overall message of vaccine, mask and social distance. We could probably go back to normal if most people got vaccinated and ditch the last two mitigation efforts. People hear what they want to.

RE: No mask recommendation to preserve PPE for healthcare workers.

That was a boldface lie, and the FOIA email dump proved it.

People don't forget when someone in a position of authority lies to them. Don't underestimate the ripple effects of a "white lie" even.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    <snip> Or do you only sit there on your hands and snipe with your standard antigovernment drivel?
    Ima go out on a limb and say that's what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post

People don't forget when someone in a position of authority lies to them. Don't underestimate the ripple effects of a "white lie" even.
    The lie was bad, no disagreement. But keep in mind it was amplified and misrepresented in a targeted political attack to make Fauci a scapegoat.

If you go back and look at who said what at the time, it started with Trump not the science because he didn't like masks, then the Vice President, and other cabinet members. But because of the political messaging, messaging that still gets repeated to this day, people forget what was actually said and they forget the mask guidance changed in just a couple of weeks.

I didn't miss anything. The word "mask" doesn't even appear in that article.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post

And yet half the US population ignores the 1000s of times Trump lied to them. None of which were "white."

wHy Do PeOpLe DoGpILe On ME?