Page 269 of 929 FirstFirst ... 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,725 of 23206
    Poor baby. What a childish cranky rant. Take a nap maybe? Look, wear a fucking mask, or don't wear a mask and stfu about it. Or post here and take my abuse, Alice. You have choices.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

The Fox News sudden probably temporary switcheroo is far more interesting than this stupid debate. I'm off the Twitter to find out wth. Law team? Coro advertisers? Murdochs?

Wooley...be nice to service workers. They have to put up with assholes all day...don't add to their misery if they are doing their jobs and especially if they are following the rules. I had a customer today running a store by himself when I walked in some asshole was yelling to the back of the store at him. I mentioned that he was the only dude working the establishment and apologized on his behalf for the service delay and the customer finally got a clue... dude behind the counter is a big dog and is resigning next week so that store will be down to 3 employees instead of 30. Don't like the mask rules do curbside. Maybe that is just an Iowa thing but we're hooked on having groceries put in our trunk the minute we drive up.

RoooR maybe have some empathy for his position as a 60 something with preconditions. I know some very smart people with pre-conditions who are far more mask happy than I am and they see the science differently that I do...and I was pretty militant for many months. When I see stuff they write about masks I keep my mouth shut.

The jury is still out. Taking a hard position either way is stupid and one variant away from being obsolete anyway.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Fox News is realizing that it's not a good look to keep up with the anti-mask/anti-vax propaganda while their viewership dies off and end up in the hospital for weeks on end. Seriously, it's that simple. It's all about the money. Just follow the money - through all the laundering, offshore tax free havens and into the pockets of the politicians and the billionaire propagandist from Oz.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Osterholm Update:

https://youtu.be/1nYCZx-M084

Anthony Fauci to Rand Paul today:
    “I have never lied before Congress and I do not retract that statement,” Dr. Fauci declared, adding, “Senator Paul, you do not know what you are talking about, quite frankly, and I want to say that officially.”
    [The statement in question is whether the NIH funded "gain of function" research at the Wuhan lab, with Fauci stating that they did not.]

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Anthony Fauci to Rand Paul today:

[The statement in question is whether the NIH funded "gain of function" research at the Wuhan lab, with Fauci stating that they did not.]
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

France opened up a month ago, and new cases went from 2000a day to 18,000 in a week or so.

Exactly same as last summer. I guess people don't learn.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

You guys still think masks work. Unbelievable.

Oh look, king shithead is back.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    France opened up a month ago, and new cases went from 2000a day to 18,000 in a week or so.

Exactly same as last summer. I guess people don't learn.

Where are you seeing 18K new cases a day? I see 8K per day on the 7 day average.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Oh look, king shithead is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Where are you seeing 18K new cases a day? I see 8K per day on the 7 day average.
    Worksheet
    WorldometerClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2021-07-20-16-19-18-978_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	380011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2021-07-20-16-20-05-657_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	380012

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    You wear a mask and I'm wrong - Possibility is that you will live.
    You don't wear a mask and are wrong - Possibility is I die.

amiright? Why should I accept that?
    Interesting variation on Pascal's wager.
    Getting mad at people not wearing masks when that is permitted by the controlled public health authority--CDC, State, Provincial or County Health Dept, etc is like getting mad at people wearing masks when that is what is required.
    I get it if you feel your personal risk is too high to go out unmasked but you have no right to demand that others do so unless and until the authorities say they do. If you don't feel safe stay home and have your groceries delivered. (I'm not a big fan of recommendations; either mandate masks or don't.) If the CDC changes their tune so will I. I trust the CDC more than I trust state and local health depts in CA--a lot of the things they've done, like shutting outdoor recreation at the beginning of the pandemic didn't make sense, but if they say wear a mask I will.

Personally I skip the mask when shopping etc unless the folks in the store are wearing them. Around here signs are meaningless; lots of businesses haven't taken their mask signs down but no one in the store including workers are wearing them. I'm not ready to go to crowded indoor places for prolonged periods of time--ie music shows.

I'm wearing the mask at the hospital and the grocery store and other high risk environments. However, this is probably more to do with the fact that I don't want Rhino PIV RSV HMPV etc as it has to do with surging Delta

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Very little Delta in Peru, like less than 25 cases as of July 13. Delta does alter the math, the R0 has gone from 2.5 to in the 6-8 range, that's going to complicate contact tracing for sure.
    Both Alpha and Delta have been been more transmissible than the OG strain, but for different reasons. Alpha shuts down innate signaling better and Delta has further optimized the s1/s2 cleavage that in essence speeds up entry into a cell.. A cross of Alpha and Delta would likely push R0 into the 10-14 range.
    I've been saying the Delta COVID is as contagious as Mumps while COVID vaccine is as effective as MMR against Mumps... but COVID has a much shorter incubation. All we need to do is vaccinate everyone for COVID to the same uptake as we have with MMR.

Your nightmare Omega Strain would be like Measles COVID. Fuck that!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Rand Paul, and both ron johnson and Ron Johnson for that matter, need to be force fed their own large intestines.

idk, cases are rising rapidly in most places. If we don't turn that around soon, the likelihood of another shutdown approaches certainty. Several states will have trouble right when they want to start school. There's little reason to expect cases to stop rising on their own. Vaccinating, masking, and limiting indoor gathering all seem like good strategies to delay or maybe prevent the shutdown. That said, it also makes sense that our politicians choose a strategy, and implement rules and sanctions to encourage us monkeys to follow the strategy.

But, if you're in an area with declining cases, continuing the current local policies seems fine. Heck if you have stable cases and accept the disablement and dying, little reason to increase defenses either.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Rand Paul, and both ron johnson and Ron Johnson for that matter, need to be force fed their own large intestines.

To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

*I should probably post this in the depression thread…

I gotta stop watching the news….and just keep living as a fully vaccinated family…..(having hope and fun again this summer)….

…but after watching ABC/David Muir tonight, I’m thinking we are headed right back where we were the past 18 months/school year.….shut down/online school….another year lost. It’s just so frustrating to watch this vicious cycle happening again….the news is ramping up and the shut downs seem to be coming…

I pray I’m wrong….it’s been so nice having hope and getting back to some normalcy so far this spring/summer.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    *I should probably post this in the depression thread…

I gotta stop watching the news….and just keep living as a fully vaccinated family…..(having hope and fun again this summer)….

…but after watching ABC/David Muir tonight, I’m thinking we are headed right back where we were the past 18 months/school year.….shut down/online school….another year lost. It’s just so frustrating to watch this vicious cycle happening again….the news is ramping up and the shut downs seem to be coming…

I pray I’m wrong….it’s been so nice having hope and getting back to some normalcy so far this spring/summer.
    I don't usually watch ABC but caught it last night and I will say they were in hyper overdrive with all the Covid resurgence stuff. Neither CBS or NBC carried the same coverage - they were much more subdued. Maybe just switch off ABC. PBS is a nice alternative to all three.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Just keep in mind cases surged last summer, too. With only about half the country vaccinated we shouldn't expect anything to be different than it has been for the last 18 months. Just look at the fluctuations over that time and expect the same thing again. However, I do think the total number of infections will decrease due to vaccinations and hospitals and deaths will be greatly decreased. I think it's really time to start concentrating on those metrics now. We have a solution now. Shutting back down doesn't make sense. Getting more people vaccinated does.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-20 211648.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	380026

I doubt Colorado is going to shove that genie back into the bottle. Revenge tourism bringing in the revenue.

I'm not saying we should shutdown. I'm saying the current trajectory means the hospitals will fill, and the shutdown will follow. (I don't think Americans will like dying without care, and that leaves shutdown.) If you have a plan to get the other half vaccinated, yes we should do that instead. If you have a plan to use other preventive measures, that's also good - masks, mild closures, better therapeutics, reach herd immunity, anything. Currently the pandemic airplane is losing altitude again and the engines are sputtering.

The trajectory is concerning

I suppose the good news is most states have several months to figure it out. Also, several southern states are leading, so everyone else ought to have good warning if it gets bad. Who knows, maybe we hit herd immunity before the hospitals fill. My guess is there's still too many people vulnerable. I'm guessing about a third have natural immunity, and half have vax, The two groups overlap, so maybe 65% have had either covid or vax. This wave could put us to 85%, and maybe that ends the pandemic phase.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    I suppose the good news is most states have several months to figure it out. Also, several southern states are leading, so everyone else ought to have good warning if it gets bad. Who knows, maybe we hit herd immunity before the hospitals fill. My guess is there's still too many people vulnerable. I'm guessing about a third have natural immunity, and half have vax, The two groups overlap, so maybe 65% have had either covid or vax. This wave could put us to 85%, and maybe that ends the pandemic phase.
    You are being wildly optimistic if you think 1/3 of the population have natural immunity. Only in the worst hit areas is it that high.

The Wuhan Wild Type had a much lower R0. The math could work for herd immunity with that. Not with Delta and worse...

You won't ever hit herd immunity with a R0 of ~7 until you have true immunity of 85-90% or more for the entire population, and there would still be clusters due to uneven distribution of immunity in the population. You will never achieve that with a Ve of 88% and only 75% of the population eligible for vaccination and 15-50% of them unwilling.

The Pandemic ends when the prevalence vs consequences decrease to the levels of a bad seasonal influenza, and then we will say COVID is an endemic (seasonal respiratory virus) instead of pandemic illness.
    Last edited by Summit; 07-21-2021 at 08:01 AM.