Page 868 of 929 FirstFirst ... 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 ... LastLast
Results 21,676 to 21,700 of 23206
    Anyone have any recent studies on the efficacy of boosters in preventing transmission? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Anyone have any recent studies on the efficacy of boosters in preventing transmission? Just curious.
    I was looking for the same thing. Not sure anyone knows at this point, given that so many cases are probably never diagnosed or never reported and any stats would likely apply to a previous variant or the one before that.

I believe there were studies posted back in March (2022) that drew comparisons between 2x and 3x, though I would not claim with certainty that claims extended to transmission ;

My reaction was also I would not used the word preventing, but rather, it has been shown that vaccination reduces transmission.
    reduces, rather than preventing...

as goat has stated, if this was data from Oct2021 - Dec2021, it likely most applies to delta. maybe omicron(a) - remembering omicron was known to be 'immunity evasive'.
    I still believe resistance offers reduced transmission, but omicron was so prevalent in January ( peaking at More than a Million positives daily... ), statistically, I don't know that it mattered...

I don't index the studies, but
    might be able to find something in the posts from ,,, Feb15 (2022) through March (2022).

boostered x2
    old. plus risk factors. skiJ

you still get covid but doesnt vax/ booster just protect you from getting really sick/ dying ?

it seems like ever buddy I know has got it this year

mostly it was just a mild- medium cold
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you still get covid but doesnt vax/ booster just protect you from getting really sick/ dying ?

it seems like ever buddy I know has got it this year

mostly it was just a mild- medium cold
    Maybe, maybe not. Probably better protection than that for a while after a booster, but for how many will that be enough to keep it below the threshold of a positive test? Or symptoms?

I know of two families that all tested positive except the one person with the most recent boost. Anecdotal. Needs better evidence.

The only study I've seen linked so far looking at 4th doses used a self-selected study group of HCW's and (probably/mostly) uninformed control group, so the people who wanted a 4th got one and they compared that with people who didn't want one (why? Already had omicron? Low perceived personal risk? Other? Unknown) to see how well it worked. That's not zero evidence, but it's really weak. Better would be better.

I don't believe the vax or vax booster prevents covid, but that it is more likey it will make Covid easier to handle

there is not much of a mask mandate up here in BC or Alberta when i was there last week, maybe one in Ten or less are wearing the mask

which is probably why everyone is now getting COVID, things have been canceled cuz there was not enough people to run a business but I havent heard about many deaths

Beer bro/ ski bro/ retired MD always gives me the heads up on whats happening so I'm waiting for the word on #4

I'm betting there are so many sick people on the show they can't recordr\ it

up here they had to cancel the ferry to haida gwai cuz there wasnt enough staff to run the boat and one other public transit I can't remember

Is there something special about Colbert's case? I see people fixated on it in the media and here, but it seems like dude just got COVID. What am I missing?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

I wonder if he's still testing positive --

so with the disclaimer that we have at least two additional strains ( omicron ), I still believe there is value in vaccination ;
    last year's, studies showed vaccination was +90% effective at preventing "severe covid ( requiring hospitalization)" even more than six months after vaccination, and that boosters bumped the antibody response such that immunity raised from ( high40s% and low60s% ) to upper80s% protective against testing positive
    ( late 2021, these studies were prior to the prevalence of omicron. data from July2021 through September2021 - posted in October2021/Novmeber2021 ) ;

omicron changed the picture, but by November 2021, a lot of north america had vaccination rates above 50% ;
    though omicron has been determined to be 'immunity evasive', I don't believe vaccination was without benefit, even with omicron ;
    I've been tracking cases since February, and though weekly deaths are down to 2000/week, there are still 2000 people weekly dying with covid.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind anymore, and I am going to continue to promote vaccination - And I am going to continue to take steps to reduce my risk of exposure.

The value of vaccination in reducing the transmission of covid does not get enough consideration - we still consider this as an issue of / matter of individual immunity -
    with almost a Million dead in the usofa ,,, I don't believe history will be kind.

I have friends who are unvaccinated, and they will continue to be my friends, but we aren't skiing together, and we aren't fishing together
    ( My risk management decision ) ...

Maybe next year.

we caught a break that omicron is not more pathologic / does not have a higher fatality rate.

thanks for listening... skiJ
    Last edited by skiJ; 05-11-2022 at 01:53 PM.

I don't believe the vax or vax booster prevents covid, but that it is more likey it will make Covid easier to handle
    Your beliefs are up to you, I don't wanna get all wrapped up in that. More likey more goodie and all.

But there are definitely people who get a (small?) exposure and their immune system catches it before anything happens. The question is how much more often does that happen post booster--and for how long? Even the weak evidence we have shows it's not zero, but it might be pretty rare or short-lived.

If you hear back before an answer gets posted we'll save you some boiled meats for your trouble. Maybe $.37 is preferred if you've got BBQ around, though.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-01816-0

That's the only study I came across when I was looking. I guess if you combine the lower viral load in 3 dose infected people with the fact that there is at least some reduction in the risk of infection for boosted people with OG omicron you have some indirect evidence of reduced transmission.

I believe its 37$ or change for a nickel but I'm not invested either way and the only answer I'm hearing is that there is no answer yet, so publish the peer reviewed science and i will accept it

I believe its 37$ or change for a nickel but I'm not invested either way and the only answer I'm hearing is that there is no answer yet, so publish the peer reviewed science and i will accept it
    You being Canadian and all I figured we'd need some smaller denomination since nickel change got rare. Pocket meat?

My point would be i'm not trying to make up stuff to believe but there are things that seem likley, so i await the offcial science

actualy we don't have pennies anymore so there is no change for a nickel but i could just cut one in half for ya ?

My point would be i'm not trying to make up stuff to believe but there are things that seem likley, so i await the offcial science

actualy we don't have pennies anymore so there is no change for a nickel but i could just cut one in half for ya ?
    You guys are hard core, man. Cut nickels sound like they'd have at least 4 points. Probably sharp. Tell ya what, we still have em down here, so if your guy finds the science first you post it up and I'll send ya change.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMega View Post
    This is the ending we needed to this thread. The perfect complete arc. The claim. The confidence. The extrapolation and self-assured forecasting. And completely wrong.
    Don't be too hard on the CDC. Novel virus, brand new vaccine technology, and no data at the time.

To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

I keep hearing people talking about having the worst sore throat of their lives with this strain. It makes me wonder it already made its way through my family a month ago. My kid had a scratchy throat, I had cold symptoms but my wife had the worst sore throat of her life and was knocked out, in bed for a few days. No fever but was coughing a lot day and night. She took a bunch of Binax tests, all of which were negative. Went to Urgent Care the third day because her throat was so sore she was having some trouble breathing, and got tested for flu, strep and bronchitis. All negative. Got some steroid and it cleared in a day or two.

Thoughts? Maybe that was Covid and the tests didn’t pick it up?

I came back positive on a rapid test in like 2 minutes

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I had a bad sore throat the past few days and tested negative (PCR). There are a lot of other bugs out there.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I had a bad sore throat the past few days and tested negative (PCR). There are a lot of other bugs out there.
    HPV?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

full blown aids

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    full blown aids

Full blown airborne aids.

uh.... I don't think so? I think it was just a common cold?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy