Page 189 of 929 FirstFirst ... 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,725 of 23206
    Got Moderna Jab #2 a couple hours ago.

Interested to see what they next 36 hours have in store for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To all the non vaxxers, apologies for thinking y'all are making a selfish bad choice. I mean go ahead and get the COVID, get through it and help us get to herd immunity. Solid plan actually, thank you for your service

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Some of it is very state specific. If the state is an at will employment state, they can fire for any reason they want. Montana is the one state that does not have At Will laws from what I've read. But of course they could also be sued if the employee feels that they were dismissed wrongly and it was for a discriminatory reason (such as age, religion, etc.)
    If you dig in the Montana law the reasons to fire somebody are still fairly broad. Legitimate business reason fits a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    To all the non vaxxers, apologies for thinking y'all are making a selfish bad choice. I mean go ahead and get the COVID, get through it and help us get to herd immunity. Solid plan actually, thank you for your service
    Herd immunity in the USA is not happening. COVID is with us for the foreseeable future. Probably between 10k-60k deaths per year, forever.

Unfortunately they are probably keeping us from reaching herd immunity. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/h...y-vaccine.html

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Unfortunately they are probably keeping us from reaching herd immunity. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/h...y-vaccine.html
    Sadly I know, my comment was in jest. We're stuck with this fucking thing because 'Murika.

Having just flown back and forth to Florida I can honestly say I really like social distancing and I'm kinda tired of Americans. I'll get over it as soon as they all get off my lawn

From that NYTimes article:

Because of new variants, experts now calculate the herd immunity threshold to be at least 80 percent. If even more contagious variants develop, or if scientists find that immunized people can still transmit the virus, the calculation will have to be revised upward again.

Polls show that about 30 percent of the U.S. population is still reluctant to be vaccinated. That number is expected to improve but probably not enough. “It is theoretically possible that we could get to about 90 percent vaccination coverage, but not super likely, I would say,” said Marc Lipsitch, an epidemiologist at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Well, fine. The odds for the vaxxed for serious illness and death are now about the same as a bad car crash. So, let Darwin thin the lower part of the bell curve.

Timely post from Jim Wright aka Man Who Shouts at Cats

https://twitter.com/Stonekettle/stat...22676032630790

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, fine. The odds for the vaxxed for serious illness and death are now about the same as a bad car crash. So, let Darwin thin the lower part of the bell curve.
    No. The odds for the vaxxed for serious illness and death are WAY WAY less than the odds of a bad car crash. Orders of magnitude less. In a typical year 2.5M Americans goto the emergency room and about 200k are hospitalized from car crashes. About 40k die. Of the 80M fully vaccinated Americans only a couple hundred have been hospitalized. The odds are closer to getting stuck by lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    No. The odds for the vaxxed for serious illness and death are WAY WAY less than the odds of a bad car crash. Orders of magnitude less. In a typical year 2.5M Americans goto the emergency room and about 200k are hospitalized from car crashes. About 40k die. Of the 80M fully vaccinated Americans only a couple hundred have been hospitalized. The odds are closer to getting stuck by lightning.
    Cool.

Timely post from Jim Wright aka Man Who Shouts at Cats

https://twitter.com/Stonekettle/stat...22676032630790
    This is something that should be emphasized over and over. There is one person who can change the minds of the hesitant, and that's Trump, WHO HAS BEEN VACCINATED. All he has to do is a few public service spots, and, presto, herd immunity. Probably.

This is something that should be emphasized over and over. There is one person who can change the minds of the hesitant, and that's Trump, WHO HAS BEEN VACCINATED. All he has to do is a few public service spots, and, presto, herd immunity. Probably.
    And there's approximately zero chance he'll ever do it because the success would be on Biden's watch.

Darwinian police reform.

Many police officers spurn coronavirus vaccines as departments hold off on mandates
    By Isaac Stanley-Becker

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...fety-concerns/

Police officers were among the first front-line workers to gain priority access to coronavirus vaccines. But their vaccination rates are lower than or about the same as those of the general public, according to data made available by some of the nation’s largest law enforcement agencies.
    The reluctance of police to get the shots threatens not just their own health, but also the safety of people they’re responsible for guarding, monitoring and patrolling, experts say.
    At the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, just 39 percent of employees have gotten at least one dose, officials said, compared to more than 50 percent of eligible adults nationwide. In Atlanta, 36 percent of sworn officers have been vaccinated. And a mere 28 percent of those employed by the Columbus Division of Police — Ohio’s largest police department — report having received a shot.
    “I think it’s unacceptable,” Joe Lombardo, the head of Las Vegas police and sheriff of Clark County, said of the meager demand for the shots within his force.
    The numbers paint a troubling picture of policing and public health. Because officers have high rates of diabetes, heart disease and other conditions, their hesitancy puts them at greater risk of serious illness from the coronavirus while also undermining force readiness, experts said. Police officers were more likely to die of covid-19 last year than of all other causes combined, according to data compiled by the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.
    Police hesitancy also means officers may be vectors of spread to vulnerable people with whom they interact during traffic stops, calls for service and other high-contact encounters. That could thwart efforts to restore community trust in a moment of heightened scrutiny after last month’s conviction of ex-officer Derek Chauvin in the killing of George Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I really think vaccine "hesitancy" is a misnomer. With 100 million Americans vaxxed, anybody with a brain in their head knows the risks are incredibly low. Most of these people are just making a political statement, thinking they are getting their revenge against the libs for kicking Trump out of office. Libs want me to wear a mask? No. Libs want me to get a shot? No. This attitude isn't going to change much over time.
    ^^^I'm guessing the CDC decided "vaccine hesitant" was a more politically correct description than "dumbass fucktards"

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I hate to assume the worst about people, but don't you get the feeling a lot of the refuseniks are acting out of spite?
    I think it's a mix. The two covid cases that are happening in my circle right now aren't. One was just someone getting too lax, and the other was 'if I haven't gotten it after all this time' hubris. The second one was egregious, because he exposed a friend. The friend not getting sick is a nice piece of anecdotal evidence that the shots work.

Without getting too poliass, the trump base is driven by spite and a refusal to accept change, so they've made this one more us vs them thing. Tucker's unhinged rant on masks in public could be Exhibit A.

But I also think it's rampant snowflakeism. Not in the political way that people misuse the word, but the I'm more special than the other Sneetches way that my, and every subsequent generation was raised. Add social media, and you've reached the "my cult of facebook/8chan friends are better than your knowledge" moment in history.

And once you're entrenched in a cult, it's pretty hard to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    The odds are closer to getting stuck by lightning.
    I've met at least two people who've been struck by lightning. One of them was struck more than once.

And there's approximately zero chance he'll ever do it because the success would be on Biden's watch.
    And even removing the political aspect, it's unlikely that he would because he's 100% transactional. He won't do anything that doesn't directly benefit him.

except for the fact that children still can't be vaccinated. And the fact that letting Darwin thin the lower part of the bell curve allows for variants to exist and thrive, which may eventually boomerang and cause problems for the vaccinated.

It's a nice sound bite to say "I'm vaccinated so fuck those people", but that's not really how this works.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

And the further insult to this irony is that he is killing his own followers through his continued narcissistic actions. He probably wants to run again in 2024 but he's allowing his base to die through his failure to save them by encouraging vaccinations. If he runs, he has a smaller base to support his effort. The stupid is strong in him.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    The stupid is strong in him.
    Yet he failed his way to the top. 'merika

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    except for the fact that children still can't be vaccinated. And the fact that letting Darwin thin the lower part of the bell curve allows for variants to exist and thrive, which may eventually boomerang and cause problems for the vaccinated.

It's a nice sound bite to say "I'm vaccinated so fuck those people", but that's not really how this works.
    In reality, it is, and will be. Sure, it would be great if we had a higher vax rate, but that ain't gonna happen, if you've been paying attention. So, yeah, really, fuck em, especially since hardly any kids are dying. If you're an adult, sure, you have a right to no vaccine, so, whatever. Good luck. Life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    And the further insult to this irony is that he is killing his own followers through his continued narcissistic actions. He probably wants to run again in 2024 but he's allowing his base to die through his failure to save them by encouraging vaccinations. If he runs, he has a smaller base to support his effort. The stupid is strong in him.
    Sorry for the pollyass, but, sadly, he is very popular, and so is Bosonaro, Modi, and Johnson. Our best hope is that they all die soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yet he failed his way to the top. 'merika
    Yeah, I guess it's not so much the stupid but that the narcissism is stronger than the intelligence.

Sorry for the pollyass, but, sadly, he is very popular, and so is Bosonaro, Modi, and Johnson. Our best hope is that they all die soon.
    Yeah, sorry for the poli-ass, too. Back on track with death-plague discussions.