Page 68 of 929 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Like like no one yet. If I'm the first I'll update--but no GoPro footie.
    Oh come on, borrow one. We need that sweet POV footy of you falling asleep on the chairlift.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Pregnant women are also considered to be at higher risk for adverse reactions.
    Saus?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Saus?
    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-1...derations.html

Vaccination of pregnant or lactating people

Observational data demonstrate that while the absolute risk is low, pregnant people with COVID-19 have an increased risk of severe illness, including illness resulting in intensive care admission, mechanical ventilation, or death. Additionally, they might be at an increased risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes, such as preterm birth.
    Obviously the data is weak and inconclusive at best, but just like wine, sushi, shellfish and deli meat, a lot of mom-to-be will steer clear in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-1...derations.html

Obviously the data is weak and inconclusive at best, but just like wine, sushi, shellfish and deli meat, a lot of mom-to-be will steer clear in the short term.
    That is saying pregnant women have a higher risk of severe illness from COVID, not a higher risk of adverse events from the vaccines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    That is saying pregnant women have a higher risk of severe illness from COVID, not a higher risk of adverse events from the vaccines.
    Correct, I read that a little fast. The broader scope of the vaccine decision is covered later on:

However, the potential risks of mRNA vaccines to the pregnant person and the fetus are unknown because these vaccines have not been studied in pregnant people.

A conversation between the patient and their clinical team may assist with decisions regarding the use of a mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, though a conversation with a healthcare provider is not required prior to vaccination. When making a decision, pregnant people and their healthcare providers should consider the level of COVID-19 community transmission, the patient’s personal risk of contracting COVID-19, the risks of COVID-19 to the patient and potential risks to the fetus, the efficacy of the vaccine, the side effects of the vaccine, and the lack of data about the vaccine during pregnancy.
    It's ultimately a situation where the experts don't know either way and the decision should be made based on exposure risk currently and after birth. I would guess that for most pregnant women in America, both those risk factors are likely lower than the average woman of child-bearing age currently. The coworkers I have feel relatively safe in their current day-to-day exposure (in-person teaching) and would rather continue on as they have with masks and protocols, and get the vaccine soon after birth. My wife is 18mo post-pregnancy, works in in-person healthcare and said that if she were pregnant now, she'd likely wait till the baby was born.

I want to go skiing right after Moderna #2 for a couple hours. Why's that a bad idea?
    Just don't puke off the chair.

I'm sure you described your first shot symptoms as mild ( so were mine), but the anecdotal evidence for a more pronounced reaction to the second Moderna shot is impressive.

Funny you never seem to know the right questions.

Will I come back?

I dunno
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Wait and see how you feel. Neither of my kids had significant reactions after their second doses.

Regarding vaccines and pregnancy--the CDC currently recommends that pregnant women get vaccinated for whooping cough and influenza during each pregnancy, in order to protect the baby, who gets antibodies from the mother. The mRNA vaccines were tested on pregnant animals--mice I think--without evidence of problems. In general when pregnant women require medical treatment, the treatment is safer for mother and child than the untreated disease. By require I mean that either mother or child would be harmed by delay.

Unless a pregnant woman is working in a low risk environment with good compliance with masking and distance, good ventilation, and no exposure to identified Covid carriers (ie they're not a doctor or nurse) and is quarantining themselves outside of work it seems to me the risk of vaccination is far lower than the risk of harm from Covid. While we don't have direct evidence of the safety of covid vaccination in pregnancy we also don't know if there is risk to the fetus from asymptomatic covid infection in the mother. It's the omission/commission thing again. People would rather err on the side of omission, even if omission is objectively more dangerous. (Ask Matt LaFleur about the consequences of playing it safe.)

Oh come on, borrow one. We need that sweet POV footy of you falling off the chairlift.
    FIFY

I think it worked out. No idea what I'll think of this in a few more hours, but so far so good; just about to hour 5, skied from ~1.5-4.5.

It'll most likely kill me tomorrow, but my phone reception is Great!

I get Moderna #2 tomorrow. Neck/shoulder muscle tension headache today, likely due to maul use last night. I’m avoiding Vit I today because of tomorrow’s vax and I’m avoiding other headache relief drugs because I need to get deskjob work done. Suffering a bit today.

I find the range of reactions from the vaxes pretty fascinating, especially from people my same age.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Funny you never seem to know the right questions.

Will I come back?

I dunno
    He,. I'm still here. Called a friend and went up on the mountain. Ripped off 300$ in ammo. It was fun. Yes I am still a crack shot.

But now what
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

If you're such a good shot maybe volunteer at a vaccination clinic.
    I've heard that ammo might be hard to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    He,. I'm still here. Called a friend and went up on the mountain. Ripped off 300$ in ammo. It was fun. Yes I am still a crack shot.

But now what
    At the risk of stating the obvious: now skiing. Highly recommended. Maybe sleeping first (so not technically now) but then definitely skiing.

Had my first shot, now after reading, a bit concerned about my second as I fly to Jackson the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

FIFY

I think it worked out. No idea what I'll think of this in a few more hours, but so far so good; just about to hour 5, skied from ~1.5-4.5.

It'll most likely kill me tomorrow, but my phone reception is Great!
    My Dad slept all day the next day.

Not thrilled with the rate of vaccine distribution in Montana. They still aren't up to generally immunocompromised people yet. I'm more or less returning to work in the field though. New case rates are very low. I'll try to do jobs that keep the number of people I'm around to a minimum, preferably in counties that still have mask mandates.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

So, here's my dilemma. My wife is eligible and was scheduled for first shot this past Monday. She was cancelled due to the weather last week and no vaccines coming in. She's not been able to reschedule at this point. A friend called last night and directed us to a location across the state line in Idaho. She's fully eligible according to the requirements except for one possible hiccup. You're to be an Idaho resident.

We have a residence in Idaho, pay taxes, etc. but don't have a mailing address there. Does that qualify her as resident? As it's a second residence, I don't really think it qualifies but a number of people I know in the same situation have gone ahead and done this. I've railed about people from Idaho coming to Spokane for the shot as well as my SIL who claimed multi-generational household. All this is on the honor system and I feel it's probably hypocritical for us take advantage of this but think it's closer to the line since we do have a residence and pay taxes there. I'm kind of stuck on this. I want her vaccinated as she has some compromising health issues and not a strong immune system. On the other hand, I also feel that we're compromising principles by not honoring the honor system for access. What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    she has some compromising health issues and not a strong immune system.
    If she were in a low/no risk group I'd say it was queue jumping (even with the second address), but based on this ^^^ alone I'd say she should just do it. The greatest good is protecting the most vulnerable.

I agree with Ted. My wife also has conditions and her civil engineering friend in Illinois with no conditions has already gotten it after the state reached out to people in charge of infrastructure...my wife with almost exactly the same job hasn't because in Iowa she isn't eligible. She could try in Illinois and be perfectly legit but we haven't yet. The only state surrounding us with an eligibility requirement is Nebraska...which happens to be where I am employed...so I've made damned sure the local division of my company has me on the list here if and when we become eligible. The rest of the states around us have people going back and forth, for instance almost everybody in E Dubuque,IL shops and has a doctor in Iowa.

Shoot...shovel...and shut up.

Clearly I am not an ethics expert though. See the Aspen thread where I was castigated for considering a trip there and also a twitter feed somewhere where a whole tribe of ultra 'everyone needs to stay home behind locked doors' cultists told me I was part of the problem when I suggested they soften their non scientific message.

Well evidently word has gotten out about what a good job W2 is doing jabbing people. Our appt platform is easy peasy and if you don't have a computer there is a number to call and they will sign you up. As I've said I'm all for just getting people jabbed but a small part of me has an issue with affluent people traveling to rural areas to get theirs when, were the shoe on the other foot, most in those rural areas could no more travel to the city for a vax than fly. Oh well. At least the jabs are getting used.

Vaccine tourism in Walla Walla? Local efficiency getting attention

Vaccination efforts for COVID-19 are going well in Walla Walla County, health department officials said Monday morning in an update to county commissioners.

So well that people from all over the state are arriving to get vaccinated, noted Dr. Daniel Kaminsky, public health officer for the county.

Kaminsky was speaking remotely from outside the Pavilion at Walla Walla County Fairgrounds, the scene of multiple mass vaccination clinics this month.

The health official mentioned that one couple had come from Mercer Island, a suburb of Seattle connected to the metropolitan area by a bridge. The chamber of commerce there calls the community “a special place.”

But not as special as Walla Walla, apparently, Kaminsky said, his mask covering any possible grin.

“We’re thinking about vaccine tourism,” he said, listing Walla Walla’s many attractions such as fine wine and good food.

“We’re going to start marketing this.”

In seriousness, having enough doses of vaccine for nonresidents of the county is a result of good work and planning by county officials and the help of an army of volunteers, Kaminsky said.

The operation gave out about 4,000 shots this weekend — 1,380 on Saturday, 1,394 on Sunday and about that same number Monday, Kaminsky estimated.

It’s nearly impossible to know how much of the eligible population in Walla Walla County who wants to be vaccinated has received it, he said.

Next to come are two booster shot clinics on Wednesday and Saturday for people who have already received a first dose, and planning is underway for yet another big vaccination event, the health officer said.

On Saturday, staff was able to administer almost all of an unexpected extra 1,000 doses, thanks to public outreach efforts, the public health officer said, noting that as more people in the eligible categories who want vaccines get the shot, demand is slowing down somewhat.

However, local vaccinations rules are determined by Washington state policies, and because Walla Walla County has been so efficient at distributing vaccine, the worry is that his department might have to temporarily halt and let other counties catch up, he told commissioners.

And no, he can’t predict when the next layer of vaccine eligibility will open up, the physician said.

Currently Washington is vaccinating people age 65 and older, those who work in health care, high-risk first responders, folks living in congregate settings and people 50 and up who live in multi-generational households other than parents and children.

“We hear rumors which turn out not to be true,” Kaminsky said of the next wave of eligibility.

“We’re not getting any hint from the state.”
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I found my shot on signupgenius.com Drove practically to Iowa for it. Good country folk have more shots than they need. Slots were still open when I got there. I left with some free fried chicken and cookies.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I found my shot on signupgenius.com Drove practically to Iowa for it. Good country folk have more shots than they need. Slots were still open when I got there. I left with some free fried chicken and cookies.
    This is very true in Iowa. Linn and Johnson and Polk have huge numbers of healthcare workers. People travel from all over the state to get healthcare in Des Moines, Iowa City, or Cedar Rapids. So if you live in one of those counties and aren't a health care worker you wait.

On another note, a local hospital is reporting no new infections among staff that was vaccinated.

https://www.kcrg.com/2021/02/24/unit...e-among-staff/

So far, 330 staff members at St. Luke’s have declined the vaccine, but 3,200 have already received their first shot. Data shows a distinct difference around the two-week mark between the vaccinated and unvaccinated staff.

“All of the sudden the cases just completely flatline in the group that’s been vaccinated while the unvaccinated group just keeps going up,” Brady said.

After hours and hours of on line disappointment trying to schedule a shot, my wife got us an appointment for Friday at a drive thru site 2 1/2 hours away. I was good with waiting for something closer but...
    The trip requires going through Snoqualmie Pass

Thursday- Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 32. Wind chill values between 19 and 29. West wind 9 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.
    Thursday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 28. Wind chill values between 18 and 23. West wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 16 inches possible.
    Friday-Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 32. West northwest wind 15 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.

Maybe belongs in the "I love my wife but...Thread.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

^^ Yeah, good chance the pass will be closed. Snarled traffic at a minimum. Don't know that I'd risk that at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    What say you?
    All I have are some random thoughts so apologies in advance for their general uselessness.

Too many ethical arguments both ways for my little brain. The only thing that stands out, and I'm not saying it matters, is that the definition of residency seems more cut and dried than other factors in these honor systems.

My wife looked at WA briefly because she's a licensed provider there and apparently that would have worked, but she had a much easier time on this side of the line--at least that was the case 6 weeks ago. It looks like there is at least one hospital in Spokane that got access to vaccine by saying they would offer public vaccinations but all appointments went to their own employees.

If anyone could say for sure that Bonner has more shots than arms I'd say let that be the deciding factor, but I'm not sure how to verify that. Seems the hospital is trying to reduce manpower spent scheduling now, but I don't know if that's just an obvious evolution resulting from using human schedulers or if it means they're busy now. The high-volume site is the county fairgrounds, though.

Total tangent, since it probably doesn't bear on the answer at all, but if you go for it how much weight do you give to railing against stateline crossers? I mean, logically and ethically taking a prior position shouldn't matter, but humans being human and all. Not looking to get judgemental about it, just curious.

All I have are some random thoughts so apologies in advance for their general uselessness.

Too many ethical arguments both ways for my little brain. The only thing that stands out, and I'm not saying it matters, is that the definition of residency seems more cut and dried than other factors in these honor systems.

My wife looked at WA briefly because she's a licensed provider there and apparently that would have worked, but she had a much easier time on this side of the line--at least that was the case 6 weeks ago. It looks like there is at least one hospital in Spokane that got access to vaccine by saying they would offer public vaccinations but all appointments went to their own employees.
    In WA, all you have to prove is that you either live or work here. You don't have to be a 'resident'. Your wife would have been fine here but, as noted, we don't have the supply. No one is taking appointments right now in our area as they're working off the backlog of second doses and previously scheduled at the Arena in Spokane. My wife was going through an Albertson's pharmacy, was cancelled, was given a link to try and reschedule mid-week this week but nothing is working on the link and no news. Still no vaccines through them since virtually all the doses were allocated to the Arena. Not sure about the local hospital and its employees. I hadn't heard that until just now.

If anyone could say for sure that Bonner has more shots than arms I'd say let that be the deciding factor, but I'm not sure how to verify that. Seems the hospital is trying to reduce manpower spent scheduling now, but I don't know if that's just an obvious evolution resulting from using human schedulers or if it means they're busy now. The high-volume site is the county fairgrounds, though.
    The site we were directed to is in PF. They still have openings for tomorrow and Friday. We signed her up last night and there were a lot of openings. There doesn't appear to be any crush to get in there (which I think is somewhat odd but, whatever, they check out) so she's not taking someone else's spot, it would appear.

Total tangent, since it probably doesn't bear on the answer at all, but if you go for it how much weight do you give to railing against stateline crossers? I mean, logically and ethically taking a prior position shouldn't matter, but humans being human and all. Not looking to get judgemental about it, just curious.
    I'm really of the mindset that there is a reason I railed against the crossers that still holds true. We have set guidelines for a reason and in trying to maintain order in chaos, I tend to follow directives, even if I think they're stupid. It's someone else's job to try and organize a response and I don't feel it's my place to circumvent their response, even if I think it's faulty. With all that said, the main fuzzy spot for me was determining whether halftime residency and paying taxes in winter qualifies me as 'resident'. Also, in further investigation, doses to the five counties is based on population and we're not counted in the Idaho census numbers so we would, in theory, be taking away from someone else who is an actual resident. Unlike WA, it doesn't appear that working in ID qualifies, either.

Bottom line, I'm pretty sure we're going to hold out for her reschedule as it should occur within the next couple of weeks. It's been nearly a year already so another couple of weeks isn't that far off.