Page 826 of 929 FirstFirst ... 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 ... LastLast
Results 20,626 to 20,650 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Which variant did the deer have?

The deer on Staten Island, NY have the Omicron, others in Iowa, Ohio, etc were infected prior to Omicron's reported arrival.

ETA And the upstate NY deer just had a bad cold.
    Last edited by Hopeless Sinner; 02-08-2022 at 07:56 PM.

Wow. I wasn't expecting my silly joke to get that much traction.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Many hunters, radicalized by the right wing propoganda machine, think the deer covid thing is some part of a laughable liberal conspiracy made up to take eventually away their guns and deer hunting privileges and force them to wear masks in the woods along with their blaze orange. Or something like that. On the deer forums I skim they wasted no time spewing vitriol towards any mention if it, or Joe Biden.
    A lot to unpack there... is anyone telling them to mask up in the woods? or is it just one of the many strawmen in snowflakeville?

Game Warden: "Hey fellas, can I talk with ya for a minute?"
    Hunters: "Uhm... we have tags for these deer..."
    Warden: " No, I don't care about that. But I see you boys don't have any masks"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Wow. I wasn't expecting my silly joke to get that much traction.

A lot to unpack there... is anyone telling them to mask up in the woods? or is it just one of the many strawmen in snowflakeville?

Game Warden: "Hey fellas, can I talk with ya for a minute?"
    Hunters: "Uhm... we have tags for these deer..."
    Warden: " No, I don't care about that. But I see you boys don't have any masks"
    Actually deer could turn out to be both a reservoir and variant factory for covid.

Yeah, strawmen galore. Media bashing for reporting on it. A lot of your usual idiocracy at work but also I think, something more.

I did my best to sort of finger what I saw happen here, what continues to happen, but it is at best a rudimentary break down.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

I bet the deer have probably carried the covid virus for centuries. The only other explanation that makes any sense is they get it through human sewage filtering into the ground, fertilizing the grass, and somehow it transmits to the deer through browsing.

There are other diseases humans can catch from deer, i.e. if you nick yourself field dressing a deer and get blood in the wound you can contract a variety of viruses, bacteria, pathogens and prions.

Better start vaxing the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    ... (I've also upped my furnace filter game--last summer we were running the furnace fan to filter the indoor air.)
    Have a look at this DIY way to up your IAQ game: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...20#post6287320
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Pretty sure me and Mr. Kitty had the Covid in December 2019. But no one seems interested in testing for it.

Just Sayin
    Pretty sure
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Actually deer could turn out to be both a reservoir and variant factory for covid.
    to borrow a phrase,

" bull crap. "

tj

yeahman is correct -
    There are a number of possible zoonotic ( diseases that could be passed from deer to people ) --

I do not believe Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is transmitted through deer blood transmission through a skin wound
    ( I have not heard of an outbreak of Creutzfeld-Jacobs' disease despite all of the CWD work that has been done in the last twenty years... )

similarly, unless you have seen stereotyping that has identified covid-coronavirus found in deer, I believe what is actually happening is A coronavirus of deer is cross-reactive with the covid test
    There have been exceptions ( SARS and MERS ) but those exception are few or rare. ( exceptions - (equine) encephalitis. and rabies. I am sure there are others )

but I urge caution in implicating deer and covid.

respectfully. tj

Thanks
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Q fever is a bacterial disease affecting blood vessels that is transmitted from domestic animals--sheep, goats, cows--to humans. For some reason almost all the reports of this disease come from France and Quebec.
    You may now return to your regularly scheduled insults and bickering.

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    to borrow a phrase,

" bull crap. "

tj

“The circulation of the virus in deer provides opportunities for it to adapt and evolve,” said Vivek Kapur, a veterinary microbiologist at Penn State University, who is part of the Staten Island research team. “And it’s likely to come back and haunt us in the future.”

source, please --

With respect to Dr. Kapur ( and You ), ,,,
    I still don't see deer being a reservoir for a respiratory virus for people
    ( I come from a region that in-spite-of recent regulations to try to manage and limit CWD, people continued feeding deer.
    even so, the deer are mostly Very cautious about close contact.

There have been other opportunities for wildlife to become reservoirs -
    for whatever reason, those virus don't seem to have long-term survivability in wildlife.

source, please -

Thank you. tj

source, please --

With respect to Dr. Kapur ( and You ), ,,,
    I still don't see deer being a reservoir for a respiratory virus for people
    ( I come from a region that in-spite-of recent regulations to try to manage and limit CWD, people continued feeding deer.
    even so, the deer are mostly Very cautious about close contact.

There have been other opportunities for wildlife to become reservoirs -
    for whatever reason, those virus don't seem to have long-term survivability in wildlife.

source, please -

Thank you. tj
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/07/h...and-covid.html

It seems to me as a virtually uneducated person that if they published identifying Omicron then they would have done so.

please don't cite the NYTimes article.

I have read part way through the PBS NewsHour conversation, and for now, I will stand by my claim. ( A coronavirus in deer is cross-reactive on the covid test. )

This seems far more historically consistent than deer becoming a reservoir for covid
    ( the samples were from deer being tested for CWD, And a captive herd )

for now, I will leave it at that.
    ( I will come back and link the PBS conversation )

tj

please don't cite the NYTimes article.

I have read part way through the PBS NewsHour conversation, and for now, I will stand by my claim. ( A coronavirus in deer is cross-reactive on the covid test. )

This seems far more historically consistent than deer becoming a reservoir for covid
    ( the samples were from deer being tested for CWD, And a captive herd )

for now, I will leave it at that.
    ( I will come back and link the PBS conversation )

tj

Yeah, I'm just repeating what seems to be a substantiated claim by qualified parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Yeah, I'm just repeating what seems to be a substantiated claim by qualified parties.
    Hopeless, you must be confused. This is TGR where we only allow direct cites to peer reviewed publications and not to well respected media outlets, such as the New York Times and the Atlantic.

Hopeless Sinner's source supports his claim. kudos -

I remain a skeptic - based on a lifetime of experience And history.
    I cannot think of a virus that has been this kind of threat ( and given the comments of the Scientists on the PBS conversation, it is my impression ( My opinion ), the Scientists do not believe this is a zoonotic risk. ... )

I still believe if they get they funding to do definitive testing, the cervid coronavirus will be found to be enough genetically-different that it does not pose a threat to people - though I have to allow for the possibility of naturally-occurring mutation(s).
    After all, that IS one of the theories for the origin of SARS-CoV-2.

kudos, HopelessSinner --

in closing, I will ask with skepticism,
    If this is a genuine zoonotic risk with deer, Why was it first publicized the week before deer hunting season (?), And
    Why do the Scientists seem so casual about it (?)
    ( And Why is it not causing disease in deer (?) )

Could be -
    it still seems to me there are leaps being made to support conclusions
    ( I still have not read that covid is being transmitted from deer to people, and with the captive deer herd, it would seem that should be the case.
    and I struggle with the 'humor' about the deer not masking, nor practicing "social distancing". ugh. )

Still., kudos, HopelessSinner.

tj

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Hopeless, you must be confused. This is TGR where we call out people for speculative and ridiculous bullshit.
    FIFY

@ Hopeless Sinner, I'm not even an amateur dentist on this stuff, but it's my understanding that zoonotic transmission of this type of respiratory disease (assuming it gets by all of the biological barriers i.e. will it find the right protein(s) in the new host, etc) tends to be due to close contact with captive live animals. So I can't say I'm too concerned about deer.

Now if it were dogs and cats, we'd be doomed.

^right? We have a critical mass of people breaking 6ft social distancing proximity with respect to deer? I mean, come on. People just want to find some edge-case 'what if' scenario so they can undermine doing anything and position our fate as 'unavoidable'.

Hopeless Sinner's source supports his claim. kudos -

I remain a skeptic - based on a lifetime of experience And history.
    I cannot think of a virus that has been this kind of threat ( and given the comments of the Scientists on the PBS conversation, it is my impression ( My opinion ), the Scientists do not believe this is a zoonotic risk. ... )

I still believe if they get they funding to do definitive testing, the cervid coronavirus will be found to be enough genetically-different that it does not pose a threat to people - though I have to allow for the possibility of naturally-occurring mutation(s).
    After all, that IS one of the theories for the origin of SARS-CoV-2.

kudos, HopelessSinner --

in closing, I will ask with skepticism,
    If this is a genuine zoonotic risk with deer, Why was it first publicized the week before deer hunting season (?), And
    Why do the Scientists seem so casual about it (?)
    ( And Why is it not causing disease in deer (?) )

Could be -
    it still seems to me there are leaps being made to support conclusions
    ( I still have not read that covid is being transmitted from deer to people, and with the captive deer herd, it would seem that should be the case.
    and I struggle with the 'humor' about the deer not masking, nor practicing "social distancing". ugh. )

Still., kudos, HopelessSinner.

tj
    There were at least two documented cases in this area early on of family pets being diagnosed positive when the rest of the family had COVID. There's the tigers at the zoo... Very likely it did go from humans to dogs and cats. Only speculation for why it's not likely to go the other way is proximity of spray, animals being in our blast zone but us not being in theirs, higher up..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

More speculative, anti-vax, anti-mask, misinformation, bullshit today from the Atlantic:

Open Everything
    The time to end pandemic restrictions is now.
    By Yascha Mounk

The most severe government restrictions on everyday activities adopted at the height of the pandemic have since been lifted. So in response to my call to open everything, some will inevitably claim that America is no longer closed. Just this week, they will note, Democrat-led states including New Jersey, Connecticut, [California, and New York] announced that they would soon end some mask mandates. But this view ignores how profoundly steps to stop the spread of the coronavirus still affect everyday life, and how much reopening work is left to do.

No one in a position of authority believes that we’re about to “defeat” the virus. COVID zero is not attainable. Nor are hospitals in imminent danger of collapse. Even at the height of the Omicron wave, some hospitals were strained but emergency rooms generally continued to provide quality care.

We should lift all remaining restrictions on everyday activities (which were, in any case, unable to prevent the rapid circulation of Omicron cases this winter). Children should be allowed to take off their mask in school. We should get rid of measures such as deep cleaning that are purely performative. Politicians and public-health officials should send the message that Americans should no longer limit their social activities, encouraging them to resume playdates and dinner parties without guilt.
    Wait a second here, does the author read the TGR Padded Room?

A number of people, including anonymous commentators on Reddit and columnists at the Los Angeles Times, even engage in open schadenfreude when anti-vaxxers die from COVID. This is wrong. We owe every victim of this pandemic compassion, whatever risk they may have chosen to incur.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ctions/621627/

A number of people, including anonymous commentators on Reddit and columnists at the Los Angeles Times, even engage in open schadenfreude when anti-vaxxers die from COVID. This is wrong. We owe every victim of this pandemic compassion, whatever risk they may have chosen to incur.
    Bullshit. They paid the ultimate price for their stupidity. We don't owe them shit.