Page 66 of 929 FirstFirst ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    but that shouldn’t stop us from acknowledging how much we don’t know about it.
    Okay. But here's what we do know: the disease has killed ~2.5 million people worldwide in a year. The vaccine has killed...pretty much nobody. A few hundred sporadic reports that when delved into appear to lack causal evidence.

https://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-are...ths/a-56458746

What he said. It's not impossible that 20 years down the road, some babies are born with super brains due to the vaccine, but if the world as we know it collapses now and 20 years form now we're huddled around burning tire fires because we blew off the vaccine ...... some over-sized brains might be worth it. Personally, I don't expect any long term type side effects, and am about to get the second injection, but I'm old and won't be around to see if I'm right.

Scientists know how to make a safe vaccine. Christ, I have my vaccine records from the late 1960s, and I haven't grown a super brain yet, or even two heads. Can we all agree medical science has come pretty far since the 1960s? Of course, that was back when people had actually lived through the devastating effects of some truly horrible infectious diseases like polio, measles, mumps, rubella, etc. Most people today have no collective experience to draw on when it comes to these awful diseases that used to ravage communities. We take for granted the fact that we don't have to worry about them. But that didn't happen magically. It happened because my mom and other parents who had seen their friends get these diseases when they were young were willing to trust in vaccines. The degree to which vaccines have changed the world and benefited the human race cannot be overstated.

All that said, I don't fault people for being hesitant, even though it's an obvious choice for me. It's no small thing to have somebody stick a needle in your arm and inject you with something that's beyond your comprehension. Eventually, though, I think most people will come around.

The things that have truly benefited the health of mankind have been sanitary sewage systems, water treatment, improved nutrition, obstetricians and midwives washing their hands, and vaccines. And there are still plenty of places on the planet that don't have some or all of these things. Compared to all these things the improvement in health and life span due to the "miracles" of modern medicine are fairly trivial. (In the US the next medical frontier is dealing with poverty and racial inequality as the cause of disease. There's no pill or shot for that.)

One of the more sobering experiences of my medical training was a visit to Coldwater--at that time a nursing home for profoundly cognitively impaired children--not a single child in the place had ever or would ever utter a word and many of them would never sit or stand or eat without being fed. An awful lot of them were victims of measles or of prenatal rubella. Coldwater is no more in part because those diseases are no more--almost.

If you are in salt lake county, the salt palace has lots of availability to sign up for vaccine appointments. If you meet the criteria, set up an appointment and come on down and get it. If you know someone eligible, get em to come get it. It was slow down there today. I was volunteering at the site. Moderna was on tap today.

As of today,

Vaccines now available for:
    Healthcare workers
    Long-term care facility staff and residents
    First responders
    Ages 65 and older
    K-12 teachers and school staff

This site has Utah vaccine info. Get it. Let's get back to normal.

https://coronavirus.utah.gov/vaccine...ution/#sign-up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210220-195501.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	364052

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Funny story from today, I was talking to some people born in the mid 40s, so 75, 80 years old, super nice. And they said, "we were debating getting the vaccine, it's just a shame it's been so politicized, we weren't sure what to think. When we heard Biden was going to give it to all the illegals we decided we better get it while we can, so here we are."
    Seriously what the fuck is wrong with people? I mean they were nice old people, and they came to the right conclusion to get it, but is that how we are going to motivate conservatives? Tell them that we are going to give things to the illegals, so they better hurry and get it now? So fucked up.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Funny story from today, I was talking to some people born in the mid 40s, so 75, 80 years old, super nice. And they said, "we were debating getting the vaccine, it's just a shame it's been so politicized, we weren't sure what to think. When we heard Biden was going to give it to all the illegals we decided we better get it while we can, so here we are."
    Seriously what the fuck is wrong with people? I mean they were nice old people, and they came to the right conclusion to get it, but is that how we are going to motivate conservatives? Tell them that we are going to give things to the illegals, so they better hurry and get it now? So fucked up.
    I guess whatever works...

I mean they were nice old people
    ...until they proved themselves to be under-the-surface racists.

My wife (45) got #2 Pfizer on Wednesday morning. Fatigue, headache, aches that night, all day Thursday, and a little bit on Friday. She was exhausted on Friday. She woke feeling better today. We skied with the kids this afternoon. She was toast (exhausted) after 3 groomer runs.

My favorite weed dealer from before it was legal told me his dad died of polio when he was 2 and his sister has a fucked up leg from polio so that was about 70 yrs ago
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I had polio, no lasting effects afaik, although my kids are much stronger than me so maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I had polio, no lasting effects afaik, although my kids are much stronger than me so maybe?

Clean water and better sanitation aided in the spread of polio.

Prior to the 20th century, polio infections were rarely seen in infants before 6 months of age, and most cases occurred in children 6 months to 4 years of age.[20] Young children who contract polio generally suffer only mild symptoms, but as a result they become permanently immune to the disease.[21] In developed countries during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, improvements were being made in community sanitation, including improved sewage disposal and clean water supplies. Better hygiene meant that infants and young children had fewer opportunities to encounter and develop immunity to polio. Exposure to poliovirus was therefore delayed until late childhood or adult life, when it was more likely to take the paralytic form.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    If you are in salt lake county, the salt palace has lots of availability to sign up for vaccine appointments. If you meet the criteria, set up an appointment and come on down and get it. If you know someone eligible, get em to come get it. It was slow down there today. I was volunteering at the site. Moderna was on tap today.

As of today,

Vaccines now available for:
    Healthcare workers
    Long-term care facility staff and residents
    First responders
    Ages 65 and older
    K-12 teachers and school staff

This site has Utah vaccine info. Get it. Let's get back to normal.

https://coronavirus.utah.gov/vaccine...ution/#sign-up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210220-195501.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	364052

sent from Utah.
    thanks fer the utarded update and voling for the good
    im wondering if 57 with a woofer ill gits me a spot
    went to a doc for the first time in a bakers dozen
    check up says healthy but need a camera in my ass
    convinced me to git the pneumonia vac
    shot at 3 went home worked in the man cave a bit watched sum tele crashed at 7
    woke up at 10 and holy ,i was considering amputating that fuckin arm pain, shit
    couldnt git my arm above my shoulder most of the next day and hurt into the next
    never had a vac bring that much pain before
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Clean water and better sanitation aided in the spread of polio.

Prior to the 20th century, polio infections were rarely seen in infants before 6 months of age, and most cases occurred in children 6 months to 4 years of age.[20] Young children who contract polio generally suffer only mild symptoms, but as a result they become permanently immune to the disease.[21] In developed countries during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, improvements were being made in community sanitation, including improved sewage disposal and clean water supplies. Better hygiene meant that infants and young children had fewer opportunities to encounter and develop immunity to polio. Exposure to poliovirus was therefore delayed until late childhood or adult life, when it was more likely to take the paralytic form.
    I was 2 I believe, so I guess our house had lousy plumbing.
    The flip side of this protection from polio is that in the undeveloped world one of the most common causes of infant mortality is diarrheal illness, which clean water and sewage disposal prevents.

The things that have truly benefited the health of mankind have been sanitary sewage systems, water treatment, improved nutrition, obstetricians and midwives washing their hands, and vaccines. And there are still plenty of places on the planet that don't have some or all of these things. Compared to all the
    never mind health how about the common use of deodorant ? I heard an advertising exec interviewed on the people's radio and pointed this out

USA now vaccinating more people against COVID-19 in one day than Canada has in total

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/usa...otal-1.5317891

The U.S. was vaccinating an average of 1.7 million Americans per day this week, and had administered at least one dose to more than 12 per cent of its population as of Friday.

Canada, which recently dealt with weeks of shipping delays and disruptions from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, has doled out nearly 1.4 million doses since its rollout began mid-December, covering about 2.65 per cent of its population with at least one dose.

This is great news for the US. Not so great for Canada (even factoring in the population differences)

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    USA now vaccinating more people against COVID-19 in one day than Canada has in total

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/usa...otal-1.5317891

The U.S. was vaccinating an average of 1.7 million Americans per day this week, and had administered at least one dose to more than 12 per cent of its population as of Friday.

Canada, which recently dealt with weeks of shipping delays and disruptions from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, has doled out nearly 1.4 million doses since its rollout began mid-December, covering about 2.65 per cent of its population with at least one dose.

This is great news for the US. Not so great for Canada (even factoring in the population differences)
    That's it, get me out of this shit hole!

sent from Utah.
    I wasn't going to get a star on my belly, but then I tried to go to the beach.

That Canada story surprises me. It's obviously tough to get vaccines to everyone in the north but the southernmost fifty miles of Canada is more urbanized that the states.

That border closure is gonna stay in place but now it's gonna be the US saying "stay out you dirty Canucks"

I was 2 I believe, so I guess our house had lousy plumbing.
    The flip side of this protection from polio is that in the undeveloped world one of the most common causes of infant mortality is diarrheal illness, which clean water and sewage disposal prevents.
    We had a cesspool so were saved. My 4 y o brother got a spinal tap. Test came back negative and my bro came back emotionally scared.

And you are replying to BS so there is that too.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    That border closure is gonna stay in place but now it's gonna be the US saying "stay out you dirty Canucks"
    Ha! If you insist...
    Yeah, I'd say our gov't botched the vaccine rollout. However, we've a pretty high compliance rate in my region and if we have to adhere to protocols for the better good for another 6 mo. it ain't the end of the world. Hell, the skiings been off the charts great this season and we've a puppy now so it's not all bad. Can't wait until everyone's vaxxed though (including all you southerners).

botched response avec 500,000 dead vs botched vaccine rollout

I am going to be ok with staying out of the craftbrew for an extra few months which can only do me good

I don't get the crazy amount of medical professionals who don't want the vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    check up says healthy but need a camera in my ass
    Johnny the neighbor was a super healthy climber/ skier/ paraglider and all around outlier but it didnt matter cuz the big C was stage 4 by the time they figured it out and he was gone at < 60 yrs

4 bag shitters on my fathers side so I've had 4 scope jobs, i get them every 5 years

the scope is easy but the prep is shitty

get the scope dude