Page 263 of 929 FirstFirst ... 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 ... LastLast
Results 6,551 to 6,575 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Upstate?
    You sir can fuck right off.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Close, but not quite as cool

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    If that's your definition of cool then I am happy to be uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    You sir can fuck right off.
    Ha! In case you haven't noticed I always ask that for anything even remotely northeast related.

On the news tonight: CDC Director said we now have a 'Pandemic of the Unvaccinated'.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    How? You going to literally show up to their house and strap them down? You can make peoples lives inconvenient, but you can't force them. And personally, I would find that incredibly authoritarian.

In rural MT there's not a lot of helmet or seat-belt wearing either. These people sure as fuck arn't gonna be forced to get a vax by the gubmit and if you try to make businesses enforce it for entry, that shit ain't happening out here either.
    Obviously we aren't going to physically force people to get shots, but we can make it as inconvenient as hell by requiring vaccination to do a lot of stuff without asking private small business to be enforcers and with hefty fines for anyone who cheats. I'm under no illusions we will actually do that. I can only dream and hope that someday this country will wake up from the mass hysteria that is infecting a third to a half of the adult population.

The fucktard cultists that can't tell up from down or truth from fiction are just doubling down and the grifters are taking full advantage. A nutso leftist I know seems to have fully adopted all of the right wing propoganda and talking points so his non stop messages are sent straight to my junk folder now. I swear the the right wing oligarchs sees this as an opportunity to merge the brainwashed indoctrinated wackjobs on the left and the right so they can complete their fascist takeover.

A guy at work told me yesterday that he had the Corona virus in 1996 so he doesn't need the vaccine.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Ha! In case you haven't noticed I always ask that for anything even remotely northeast related.
    I once asked, tongue In cheek, whether nyc Was upstate. I'm still fending of bounty hunters.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Insurance companies have stopped waiving co-pays for Covid treatments.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    So far, human behavior changes drive infection more than vaccination. Israel, UK, US have relatively high vax rates, all have rising cases. You could almost claim the vaccines don't work, though hospitalizations are 99% unvaxxed showing they do work.

It is possible Sinovac is better at preventing spread, but it's probably more restrictions (or good behavior). There's a few studies looking well the various vaccines prevent infection or spread. I've not followed many - the numbers aren't as good as the efficacy vs severe disease.

Aussies are way behind on vaccinating. They are trying the Kiwi full suppression strategy but have a (tiny compared to other countries) delta outbreak.
    A big part of the reduction in cases in the US--maybe the only reason--was vaccinating half the adults, which made it less likely for the unvaxed to encounter a spreader. But when you introduce a much more transmissible variant the math changes--while the unvaxed are still less likely than before to encounter a potential spreader, they are much more likely to get sick if they do encounter one. So you could say that vaccinations don't protect the unvaxed as well as they used to. They still seem to work very well at protecting the vaxed.

Yeah, it's exactly that.

Very little Delta in Peru, like less than 25 cases as of July 13. Delta does alter the math, the R0 has gone from 2.5 to in the 6-8 range, that's going to complicate contact tracing for sure.
    Both Alpha and Delta have been been more transmissible than the OG strain, but for different reasons. Alpha shuts down innate signaling better and Delta has further optimized the s1/s2 cleavage that in essence speeds up entry into a cell.. A cross of Alpha and Delta would likely push R0 into the 10-14 range.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

It's possible that the vaccinated tend to know mostly other vaccinated people

And the same for the people that don't want to vaccinate. So r0 is 0 for vaccinated and 3 for unvaccinated.

Obvious.

But it also means that you can't look at statistics, like new cases divided by the entire population.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Fuck Ingraham and Desantis
    https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/statu...70159309287426

Fuck Carlson and Barenson
    https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1416193934288736261

Might as well fuck Fox News altogether

it looks like laura has perfected her own version of the stupid/pensive Tucker expression while the guest speaks.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Id love to sneeze boogers all over tucker Carlson's face and ask him if he wishes I would have had a mask on.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Fuck Ingraham and Desantis
    https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/statu...70159309287426

Fuck Carlson and Barenson
    https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1416193934288736261

Might as well fuck Fox News altogether
    And direct from CNN...more maskless flucktards on the right:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/17/polit...ive/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

And the same for the people that don't want to vaccinate.
    i would agree with this ^^ most everyone I know is a vaxxer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

And the same for the people that don't want to vaccinate.
    True if you mean know personally. But unless we stay home we encounter people of the opposite vaccine persuasion all the time. Even deep red places have plenty of vaxed people, though not as many as blue communities. Etc.
    BTW--R0 is the rate of spread (the number of people each infected person infects) in a population with no natural or vaccine-produced immunity. (Splitting hairs I know). Your point is still valid. Vaccinated people aren't making other vaccinated people sick. And they're probably rarely infecting unvaccinated people although I don't know how solid the data is on the last point.

Saw a clip from Tucker. "What are they going to do next--make people with TB take antibiotics?" Well yes Tucker, they already do. Have done so for many decades. Forcibly hospitalize them if they refuse. You ignorant twat.

I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Fuck Carlson
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Saw a clip from Tucker. "What are they going to do next--make people with TB take antibiotics?" Well yes Tucker, they already do. Have done so for many decades. Forcibly hospitalize them if they refuse. You ignorant twat.
    Tucker is farting and then asking "hey, does anyone else smell that?"

His audience of simpletons just want to hear their own idiotic presuppositions broadcast by someone they consider to be an authority figure, so they can feel smart.

And not a single one of his questions is actually a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Delta has further optimized the s1/s2 cleavage that in essence speeds up entry into a cell.. A cross of Alpha and Delta would likely push R0 into the 10-14 range.
    Asking as someone who is totally ignorant of virus research--is that the sort of information that might be obtained by gain-of-function research at a place like the Wuhan lab?

4600 new cases in Texas, 16k in Florida... this shit will never end. Only person that could be happy about this is Cuomo as New York is soon to get bumped out of second to last place on the fatality tracker. Farg.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Danny Westneat: Washington had its chance to stomp the coronavirus. We blew it.

Jul. 14—If you travel about the country, as I just did to visit my dad in Ohio, the coronavirus pandemic feels a lot like it does now here in Seattle: Like old news.

But you don't have to look any farther than Walla Walla to see that COVID-19 is anything but past tense.

"In June, Walla Walla County had more positive COVID cases than April and May combined," the health district in that southeast Washington county warned the other day.

Now July is already running worse than June. Walla Walla is "one of three counties in the state that the CDC has classified as a high level of transmission," health officials said, before adding, plaintively: "Wear a mask and watch out for those around you!"

Few are doing the mask-wearing and social-distancing thing anymore. We're done with a pandemic that is not done with us.

Those three counties referred to above — Walla Walla, Benton and Franklin — had, as of Monday, the highest current COVID rates of any counties on the West Coast, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data.

Walla Walla is reporting its recent 14-day rate as 334 cases per 100,000 population — a disease spread that not long ago could have landed the county into a Phase 2 restriction of businesses and events (not anymore though, as the whole state is now 100% open).

The Benton-Franklin County Health District said Tuesday that 34 people are hospitalized there with COVID-19 — more than are hospitalized in Seattle, and a rate, when adjusted for population, that's double the national average. (It's still shy of the hospitalization rates in the nation's most hard-hit places, which are currently Missouri, Nevada, Arkansas, Florida and Mississippi).

At the district's main testing site in Pasco, 11% of the tests are coming back positive, a rate epidemiologists say can signal unchecked community spread of the virus.

What's happening is as simple as it is frustrating: Only about half, or fewer, of the eligible people in these counties have gotten vaccinated. In Walla Walla, where 45% of the 62,500 residents have been fully vaxxed, 90% of the recent COVID patients hadn't gotten the shot, health officials said.

Our state is also now reporting that the delta variant, the one that's coursing through states like Mississippi (where seven children are in the ICU), has made up 54% of the sequenced cases in the past two weeks.

I bring all this up to say: We had our chance to stomp down the coronavirus. We didn't do it. We blew it.

The whole point of attaining "herd immunity" isn't that the virus would be gone. It's that when an outbreak occurs, it could be isolated and contained because most people would have some level of immunity.

But that "most people" threshold has not been reached in too many places. And based on the dwindling rates of vaccination, we aren't going to reach it. So we're likely to see repeating cycles of these "delta surges."

It's time to just let people live with the consequences, I guess. It's all so unnecessary, though. The state is caught betwixt and between — the emergency is seemingly over, yet in a parallel universe it rips and runs. With the vaccines so easy to get there's no longer much point in asking why up to two-thirds of residents in some counties won't get the shots.

This "two societies" thing is starting to raise awkward questions, though.

"This is crass," one reader wrote me the other day, "but who pays? If someone refuses for political beliefs to get vaccinated, gets COVID, goes to the hospital, has no health insurance, then who pays? There are ramifications for their refusal ... who pays for these ramifications?"

The big picture answer first: We will all pay, through hospital charity care, higher health costs, taxes to support Medicare or Medicaid, and so on. This is why a few weeks ago I was ready to pay people to get vaccinated — we're going to pay one way or another.

But lately one influential player said it won't be them paying anymore. The insurance companies have signaled they are done with special "we're all in this together" pandemic rules. For the past year, most insurers had agreed to waive any copays or deductibles for COVID treatments. Now those deals are over.

The largest health insurer in Washington state, Premera Blue Cross, ended its waiver of copays and deductibles for COVID treatments on June 30, for example. Some others did it sooner.

This "is a big deal if you get sick" from COVID, an insurance consultant told Kaiser Health News. "And then you find out you have to pay $5,000 out-of-pocket that your cousin didn't two months ago."

Maybe that's the answer to vaccine resistance. Because the only thing scarier than the threat of a virus contagion or infecting grandpa or possible death? Being thrown to the mercy of American health insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A big part of the reduction in cases in the US--maybe the only reason--was vaccinating half the adults, which made it less likely for the unvaxed to encounter a spreader. But when you introduce a much more transmissible variant the math changes--while the unvaxed are still less likely than before to encounter a potential spreader, they are much more likely to get sick if they do encounter one. So you could say that vaccinations don't protect the unvaxed as well as they used to. They still seem to work very well at protecting the vaxed.
    That sounds good, however, if you pull up your favorite graphs of daily infections and vaccination level, there is no support for that position. In the US, from mid-Jan to mid-Feb 2021, fully vaxxed was under 10%, however this is the time of greatest fall in daily cases. From mid-Feb to mid-Apr, fully vaxxed continued to rise, however daily cases also rose. If vaccination was primarily driving the drop in cases, neither of these patterns would occur. Also, consider India, a country with minimal vaccination and lots of delta. Cases there have fallen rapidly despite minimal vaccination. This is why I say vaccination has a small influence on case rates.

I propose instead that human behavior primarily explains surges and drops in daily Covid cases. We began in 2020 with no precautions, business as usual. Infections soared. We panicked and had lockdowns, infections plummeted. We slowly relaxed precautions, cases slowly climbed then soared. We locked down and wore masks, cases plummeted again. Now we're in Biden's freedom era, not that he had much choice.

Currently, US fully vaccinated hovers below 50%. The original prognostications said we needed 70-80% vaxxed to stop the pandemic. We're short. If everyone returns to schools, worksites, bars, concerts, and dinner with friends, even Wuhan classic would thrive. I will not be surprised if Fall brings overflowing ICUs.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

I think you mean august not fall. Icu's in a number of states are set to outpace december very soon

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app