Page 875 of 929 FirstFirst ... 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 ... LastLast
Results 21,851 to 21,875 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Thx for the kind comment. My wife tested negative 36 hours ago and I woke up feeling good today. Sore throat, headache, cough and runny nose all gone. I hope to test negative by the weekend. I did save the verbiage needed from a Dr if needed though, but I hope not.
    Have you really been traveling around Europe *with* a positive test AND COVID symptoms? I mean... I'm hoping that you really haven't been doing that. Set me straight, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    That's uplifting.
    Definitely not, but it seems to be a pretty accurate take on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    What holes? The vaccines reduce hospitalizations and deaths and make a big impact on being able to keep hospitals operational. Is it is going to create herd immunity? Not at this time, but that was NEVER the goal of the first round of vaccines.
    His was a confounding take given the article end as such:

"Her words echoed in my ears. As I began work on this piece, the number of known U.S. Covid deaths officially passed one million. If 100,000 Covid deaths were an “incalculable loss,” what is 10 times greater than incalculable? Yet the memorials organized by local authorities or published by mainstream newspapers dropped quietly into a country where almost no mandates for precautions remain in place. Nationally, we have largely succumbed to the urge to move beyond the pandemic, even as it rages around us, a strategy that cannot continue forever.

How long will we keep the memory? The memory of everything and everyone we’ve lost, the memory of what worked to keep us safe and could still help us in the future, if only we remember what’s at stake. If we cannot or will not remember, the virus will continue reminding us every few months."

We've mentioned this before, but Covid is sort of the perfect storm for killing lots of people. Most people infected suffer only minor symptoms for a few days, so on a percentage basis, the number of people hospitalized or killed by the disease is small--but it infects so many people that on a gross population level those numbers add up. The end result is it becomes much easier for people to conclude that Covid isn't really a big deal compared to a more virulent disease like, for example, Ebola. A disease like Ebola can't be ignored. It kills so many people quickly that people have to take it seriously. As a result Ebola epidemics tend to burn themselves out fairly quickly. In contrast Covid is a slow burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Well shit. 26 months dodging this shit and not even a close call. Just found out some folks I did dinner with yesterday tested positive this morning. They felt fine yesterday and one developed symptoms overnight, other one has no symptoms.

Hope my vaccines hold the line!
    Ugh, I'm in the same boat. My elderly mom caught Covid a few days ago (from a caregiver; amazing that this never happened up until recently). I ended up having to take her to the ER for antibodies infusion, and was stuck sitting in a small hospital room with her for a couple of hours while she complained pretty much constantly. I was wearing a good fitting 3M N95, but still... I'm isolating, more or less, masking etc... and waiting nervously. Glad my booster is nice and fresh. (And, incredibly, it's looking like mom will survive; yes, she's vaxed.)

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    We've mentioned this before, but Covid is sort of the perfect storm for killing lots of people. Most people infected suffer only minor symptoms for a few days, so on a percentage basis, the number of people hospitalized or killed by the disease is small--but it infects so many people that on a gross population level those numbers add up. The end result is it becomes much easier for people to conclude that Covid isn't really a big deal compared to a more virulent disease like, for example, Ebola. A disease like Ebola can't be ignored. It kills so many people quickly that people have to take it seriously. As a result Ebola epidemics tend to burn themselves out fairly quickly. In contrast Covid is a slow burn.
    If people were bleeding from their eyeballs, everyone would be lining up for vacininations in their ballsack if necessary -even if it was deadly. Covid is in a sweet disease space that most people don’t see the really bad effects first hand. At least not enough to scare people enough to do something

Offhand/matter of fact Twitter comment from Center of Disease Control and Prevention with no helpful follow-up or guidance about what to do
    “As of May 30, 2022, national forecasts predict 1,800–5,400 new #COVID19 deaths will likely be reported during the week ending June 25. That would bring the projected total number of U.S. deaths to 1,012,000–1,024,000.”

https://twitter.com/cdcgov/status/15...MAtND4akFTNETQ

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    What holes? The vaccines reduce hospitalizations and deaths and make a big impact on being able to keep hospitals operational. Is it is going to create herd immunity? Not at this time, but that was NEVER the goal of the first round of vaccines.
    That is 2020-early 2021 talk.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Offhand/matter of fact Twitter comment from Center of Disease Control and Prevention with no helpful follow-up or guidance about what to do
    “As of May 30, 2022, national forecasts predict 1,800–5,400 new #COVID19 deaths will likely be reported during the week ending June 25. That would bring the projected total number of U.S. deaths to 1,012,000–1,024,000.”

https://twitter.com/cdcgov/status/15...MAtND4akFTNETQ
    What do you want them to say? Everyone knows what to do by now. Everyone knows how to mitigate risk and who is at the highest risk.

But let's hope it is not at the high end of that estimate.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

I do not think everybody knows what to do. I observe the misunderstanding daily. Misunderstanding the hazard and risk. I hear plenty of times from intelligent and critical thinkers (coworkers) that they’re fine because their vaxed, they can’t spread the disease because their vaxed, they can’t catch or spread because their vaxed and have already (probably) been infected. Info like this cdc projection is buried.

Many coworkers intentionally worked at my office today because it was likely the last time they would be able to work there unmasked.

For some reason, it seems that people think that 5 days after a positive test and they’re good to go. Kaiser says 10 after a positive w/o testing and you’re good to go (which doesn’t make sense).
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 06-03-2022 at 10:02 AM.

I do not think everybody knows what to do. I observe the misunderstanding daily. Misunderstanding the hazard and risk. I hear plenty of times from intelligent and critical thinkers (coworkers) that they’re fine because their vaxed, they can’t spread the disease because their vaxed, they can’t catch or spread because their vaxed and have already (probably) been infected. Info like this cdc projection is buried.

Many coworkers intentionally worked at my office today because it was likely the last time they would be able to work there unmasked.

For some reason, it seems that people think that 5 days after a positive test and they’re good to go. Kaiser says 10 after a positive w/o testing and you’re good to go.
    I think they know. We know.

Some people are just resistant, the anti mask crowd like they've been since the beginning.

I think the rest of us are just exhausted and burnt out from the barrage of information and stress. We're becoming desensitized due to over stimulation.

I'd sure like a break. I was lucky in March in travelling, but I've never dropped my mask protocol outside the home. Got it anyway due to our teenager.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I don’t think they know. They stopped paying attention and listening. Burn out is definitely a factor, but unclear, conflicting, and confusing recommendations is another.

Alameda County re-instituted a mask mandate that starts tomorrow. CalPoly SLO and UCSB have them, too. Apparently, the public schools near those universities have followed suit.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    That is 2020-early 2021 talk.
    Wrong. Vaccines still reduce the severity of infection.

I should probably be more careful but I'm using a mask indoors based on how close I'm going to be to people and for how long, although the 6ft/15 min rule is probably irrelevant for omicron. (It probably was irrelevant for heirloom covid too.) That could change. I sure would be wearing one if I were working a shift at a cash register. Uh, make that a card reader.

^^^Me too.. covering up when I perceive I'm stuck in a zone with a lot of recently used air.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

For some reason, it seems that people think that 5 days after a positive test and they’re good to go. Kaiser says 10 after a positive w/o testing and you’re good to go.
    I mean, they were just parroting what the CDC was telling them early on. We are starting to see the effects of what misinformation from federal agencies does to a populace at large. Don't make those claims (vaxxed can't get COVID, vaxxed can't spread covid) if you just don't know yet.

CDC lost what credibility they had left when they went from 10 day isolation to a 5 day isolation when everyone (vaxxed or not) came down with Omicron in January 2022, and "the science" needed revision in order to not collapse a first world society due to everyone testing positive concurrently. Lots of people saw right through that farce, and the booster rollout subsequently suffered because of it.

You are correct Captain Obvious. People are stupid and easily sold by the lies you just regurgitated. Duh.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

I’ve upped my indoor game. Been reading for a while that gov recorded cases is significantly lower than known cases because of home testing, but I am having first hand experiences and observations of that due to outbreaks at my kids’ two schools and the 3 schools that my wife works at.

Also, reading mofro’s description that the 15 minute rule should not apply to omicron ba1 (timing is shorter because of increased transmissibility), ba2.12.1, ba4, and b5 are more transmissible than than ba1, and knowing multiple people and kids that have been infected when outdoors, including only brief times in crowded outdoor areas. The n95 that I’ve been using does not fog my glasses, which has been a revelation.

The grocery stores that I typically use had large outbreaks with staff this winter where both had to cut down their open hours and ran on skeleton crews. Some of the staff were miserably sick at that time, They’ve talked about it, “that was horrible. Worse than any flu or cold I’ve had. I don’t want to go through that again.” None were hospitalized that I’m aware of. Both stores tried to enforce fairly strict mask rules for staff and customers. No staff wear masks now.

I think I’ve finally entered cyborg stage. Got Covid over Xmas and it kicked my ass. Once that lifted I have felt healthy as an ox despite the following in the last 2 months:

- Trip to Austin: found out upon returning that all of my friends I stayed with had Covid;
    - Trip to LA for conference: had 15 one-on-one meetings there and 6 subsequently tested positive.
    - Trip to Vegas for conference: insane super spreader event. People I was cramped into a corner of the bar with for 3 straight nights all tested positive.
    - In car with MIL for one hour as she hacks a lung. Turns out it was Covid.
    - Coaching baseball. 5 out of 11 kids positive at some point, all of which I’m with 3 times a week
    - Concert with an overnight at hotel that includes traveling with friend, sharing various herbal implements and small spaces whereafter he tests positive.

I’ve tested the whole time to make sure I’m not just asymptomatic, but I believe I have ascended. I’m going to go gargle some hooker teeth to keep up my immunity.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Only a matter of time, likely for the rest of our lives at this point, I suppose. But I’m happy to be doing well with this wave.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Have you really been traveling around Europe *with* a positive test AND COVID symptoms? I mean... I'm hoping that you really haven't been doing that. Set me straight, man.
    Not that I give a rats ass what you think, but we did follow CDC guidelines. Both of us tested negative and we are having a great time. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

When I look at the cdc guidance for being Covid +, i find a quarantine and isolation calculator. I don’t see any recommendation about testing yourself to determine if you are still contagious. I’ve seen and heard multiple SMEs indicate that this calculator can result in somebody unintentionally spreading covid w/o knowing and they think they are doing the right thing.

On the radio this am--Moderna has a dual variant--OG and omicron--that they claim is 8 times more effective than the original vaccine. They're applying to the FDA to use for the expected fall surge when the govt plans a big PR campaign to get shots. My question is, why not use it now, while it still works. Maybe because the people who need it most were just told to get a 4th dose of the original? Or maybe because they need to make doses and don't want a repeat of people scrambling to find vaccine appointments like the original roll out. Although I doubt that would happen.

I'm not sure where PBS got the 8x more effective figure, or maybe I misheard. This article says 1.5x more antibodies, against first gen omicron, not the latest variants. https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...navirus-trial/ So maybe already too late.

Wake me up when they invent a vaccine that prevents long Covid.