Page 265 of 898 FirstFirst ... 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 ... LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,625 of 22446
  1. #6601
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Frantically crawling out of the backseat
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Are you getting the one where the lady mispronounces "normalcy?" Drives me bonkers.

    All pronunciations of the word "normalcy" in this context are wrong (a malapropism). It's been pissing me off for 16 months and counting.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Hereís the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

  2. #6602
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    337
    [QUOTE=Kinnikinnick;6358661]
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post

    Now you are intentionally eroding the point.

    Dont get vaxxed = dont get insured for the hospitalization costs.

    If you start adding lifestyle choices then the consequence would be so broad that it wont have the desired incentive.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lot's of insurance plans already do this though. They don't phase it as a higher rate for unhealthy people. They give a "discount" if you link your fitbit, garmin, etc and meet fitness goals.

  3. #6603
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,217
    The point is that society could wake up and say ďhey we donít want to insure your health costs related to your motorcycle accident because itís 27x more likely to result in a serious injury or deathĒ.

    Take you pick of other risky or not socially desirable activity. Skiing, mountaineering, etc

  4. #6604
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Take you pick of other risky or not socially desirable activity. Skiing, mountaineering, etc
    The issue for these risky behaviors and smoking/obesity comparisons is that there isnít a two shot treatment that provides 90%+ reduction of risks for those activities. If there was a vaccine that eliminated 99% of deaths from wing suiting I bet insurance companies would require it for coverage.

  5. #6605
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,570
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    The point is that society could wake up and say “hey we don’t want to insure your health costs related to your motorcycle accident because it’s 27x more likely to result in a serious injury or death”.

    Take you pick of other risky or not socially desirable activity. Skiing, mountaineering, etc

    So be it. You feel kinship with others who want to offload their risk to society because you want to offload your own. Too bad. Accept the risks you create. That's what personal responsibility means and you can't keep a free society without assigning responsibility to those who are free to choose.

  6. #6606
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    9,679
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    The point is that society could wake up and say “hey we don’t want to insure your health costs related to your motorcycle accident because it’s 27x more likely to result in a serious injury or death”.

    Take you pick of other risky or not socially desirable activity. Skiing, mountaineering, etc
    Isn't that kind of the case with life insurance? Skyrocketing costs or straight up denials of coverage if you're into things such as skydiving.

  7. #6607
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,514
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Can we also recognize that leaving the unvaxxed to their own misguided future represents a huge potential financial liability for society. ER's, ventilators and therapeutics are unbelievably expensive and it would be wrong to assume that each patient pays their own way or has sufficient insurance coverage.
    Versus what?

    Mandating vaccinations at the federal level?

    You argue against it without proffering any viable alternative to save society those same costs. Financial incentive to vax = 0


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  8. #6608
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    The issue for these risky behaviors and smoking/obesity comparisons is that there isnít a two shot treatment that provides 90%+ reduction of risks for those activities. If there was a vaccine that eliminated 99% of deaths from wing suiting I bet insurance companies would require it for coverage.
    Well, itís pretty easy to say ďwe arenít covering your care because you are a smoker, eat like shit, etcĒ but Iím pretty sure we just fought a huge political battle so we donít have to think about pre-existing conditions now.

    I mean, it incurring an injury skiing is easy. Just donít ski. Thatís 100% effective.

    (Iím 100% vaccinated by the way, I just think that this approach is highly unlikely to get the response you are looking for. You are just going to get stupid shit back like ďhealthcare insurers donít have to cover injuries incurred at a protestĒ etc)

  9. #6609
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    9,706
    People are only interested in how much healthcare costs them. They could care less how much healthcare costs society.

  10. #6610
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    8,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Financial incentive to vax = 0
    Not sure I understand this comment. There's actually a very large societal incentive to vax as I explained. Just as there's an incentive to quit smoking. Maybe you mean something different? And I support the French model of "incentivizing" vaccination in order to engage in public because this avoids the dreaded "mandate" word and still gives people the freedum they desire. However, we all know red states will fight back on such a proposal with every idiotic bone in their body.

  11. #6611
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    25,057
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    All pronunciations of the word "normalcy" in this context are wrong (a malapropism). It's been pissing me off for 16 months and counting.
    Seems like it's been used that way for the last century, so I think that definition is pretty entrenched into the English language at this point.

    (for the record the woman in the commercial pronounces it "nor-mal-a-see." She probably also refers to "ath-a-letes." )

  12. #6612
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    8,493
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Isn't that kind of the case with life insurance? Skyrocketing costs or straight up denials of coverage if you're into things such as skydiving.
    Comparing life insurance with health insurance on any level is inappropriate. One is essential and the other is a luxury.

  13. #6613
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,514
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Not sure I understand this comment. There's actually a very large societal incentive to vax as I explained. Just as there's an incentive to quit smoking. Maybe you mean something different? And I support the French model of "incentivizing" vaccination in order to engage in public because this avoids the dreaded "mandate" word and still gives people the freedum they desire. However, we all know red states will fight back on such a proposal with every idiotic bone in their body.
    ďSocietal incentive?Ē You mean social pressure? Thats precisely the opposite of the antisocial Behavior that defines the unvaxxed. Only afraid of the chance of side effect on themselves or in full frontal obstinate resistance to doing whats right for society.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  14. #6614
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,217
    Arkansas for example has forbidden healthcare providers from requiring employees get vaccinated until 2 years after the vaccines are fully approved. Two years. What are the odds you get any traction if you try to force it via financial incentives?

  15. #6615
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    8,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    “Societal incentive?” You mean social pressure? Thats precisely the opposite of the antisocial Behavior that defines the unvaxxed. Only afraid of the chance of side effect on themselves or in full frontal obstinate resistance to doing whats right for society.
    As I said, we should have national laws that prevent the unvaccinated from mingling in high-density locations. So not social pressure but actual laws.

    You think the unvaxxed are anti-social? It's pretty clear that rising case rates across the country, but specifically in regions where vaccination rates are lower disproves this.

  16. #6616
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    9,679
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Comparing life insurance with health insurance on any level is inappropriate. One is essential and the other is a luxury.
    Ok. Fair enough. With health insurance though, doesn't one typically pay higher premiums if they're a smoker/drinker?

  17. #6617
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,514
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    As I said, we should have national laws that prevent the unvaccinated from mingling in high-density locations. So not social pressure but actual laws.

    You think the unvaxxed are anti-social? It's pretty clear that rising case rates across the country, but specifically in regions where vaccination rates are lower disproves this.
    Anti social behavior doesnt mean that they dont socialize, thats Asocial behavior

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-social_behaviour


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  18. #6618
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    8,493
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Ok. Fair enough. With health insurance though, doesn't one typically pay higher premiums if they're a smoker/drinker?
    Of course. There are tiered levels of insurability based on lifestyle and a full-on health exam including blood tests.
    Proposing such a thing for health insurance is extremely complicated. For example, how could fairly distinguish between predisposing conditions versus lifestyle habits in order to adjust cost? That's one of 50 issues although I'm sure health insurance companies have been probing this concept for a long, long time as a means of dropping high-risk clients.

  19. #6619
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    8,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Anti social behavior doesnt mean that they dont socialize, thats Asocial behavior

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-social_behaviour


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Right. My comment still stands. Can't be social pressure alone.

  20. #6620
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On Vacation for the Duration
    Posts
    14,386
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Comparing life insurance with health insurance on any level is inappropriate. One is essential and the other is a luxury.
    Both products use actuarial data to insure profitability. And I have seen both life and health insurance described as luxury products. Which do you see as a luxury?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

  21. #6621
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    8,493
    Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Both products use actuarial data to insure profitability. And I have seen both life and health insurance described as luxury products. Which do you see as a luxury?
    I think you can guess based on my response to MF.

  22. #6622
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On Vacation for the Duration
    Posts
    14,386
    Many believe healthcare is not a right so like most yes/no questions the answer is "It depends".

    Anyhoo, only 10% wearing masks at my local Kroger's and they were giving away free bottles of Kroger branded disinfectant at the checkout. The clerk who wore an industrial strength mask for the past year seemed to think the pandemic was over. The mask I was wearing has a German idiom that means "THE WORST IS YET TO COME" but I didn't tell her.

    Name:  FSSF mask.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  17.8 KB
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

  23. #6623
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Looking down
    Posts
    50,514
    ]
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post

    And drinkers. And people who eat like shit. And people who donít get enough sleep.
    How about reckless skiers, which is a redundant phrase to non skiers?

  24. #6624
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Watching over the valley
    Posts
    4,243
    Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Many believe healthcare is not a right so...
    Yep. Many feel that way. And vote accordingly, universal health care is socialism they cry!

    But when they get sick from covid because they are also anti vax, well, all of sudden their tune changes.



    sent from Utah.
    sigless.

  25. #6625
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,618
    Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    That sounds good, however, if you pull up your favorite graphs of daily infections and vaccination level, there is no support for that position. In the US, from mid-Jan to mid-Feb 2021, fully vaxxed was under 10%, however this is the time of greatest fall in daily cases. From mid-Feb to mid-Apr, fully vaxxed continued to rise, however daily cases also rose. If vaccination was primarily driving the drop in cases, neither of these patterns would occur. Also, consider India, a country with minimal vaccination and lots of delta. Cases there have fallen rapidly despite minimal vaccination. This is why I say vaccination has a small influence on case rates.

    I propose instead that human behavior primarily explains surges and drops in daily Covid cases. We began in 2020 with no precautions, business as usual. Infections soared. We panicked and had lockdowns, infections plummeted. We slowly relaxed precautions, cases slowly climbed then soared. We locked down and wore masks, cases plummeted again. Now we're in Biden's freedom era, not that he had much choice.

    Currently, US fully vaccinated hovers below 50%. The original prognostications said we needed 70-80% vaxxed to stop the pandemic. We're short. If everyone returns to schools, worksites, bars, concerts, and dinner with friends, even Wuhan classic would thrive. I will not be surprised if Fall brings overflowing ICUs.
    It's not that simple--people get vaccinated and a month later cases fall.
    First of all--until delta came along, one vax was good protection. Second--the first people to get vaccinated were HCW;s and nursing home patients--the highest risk for contracting the virus and the most frequently tested. No doubt there have been changes in behavior that may influence rates but I don't believe there has been a significant change in behavior between the winter peak and the summer low. No doubt increase opening and decrease masks this summer have contributed to the rise in cases but not as much as delta. My guess is that without delta we would have seen a plateau, not a continued fall.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •