Page 245 of 929 FirstFirst ... 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,125 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Where is that from--or did you already post and I missed it?
    some recent study, not yet peer reviewed.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Interesting how some countries started hot out of gate but have peaked ( plus some dick waving)
    Congrats to the Canukistanis.

I guess I’m heartened to see that USA! is ahead of Germany & France in vax rates. Maybe we can catch up to powerhouse nations like Chile and Mongolia.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    but not among those previously infected (HR 0.313, 95% CI 0 to Infinity).

Conclusions...oy
    Looks like the mathing might be a little impacted up there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Different results because different variants?

You're all the source I need. Thanks.
    You know I was thinking about it and I hadn't really looked into it since Feb/March when they were investigating thousands and thousands of suspected reinfection in SA. Dr. Swaminathan (WHO Chief) was announcing the worry and there was also super concerning serology data from the Novavax placebo arm indicating previous infection was not protective in SA. We had plenty of in vitro data showing lower neutralization rates... this was following the January SA case spikes and partial collapse of the SA heatlhcare system. A few colleagues had family practicing back home and the stories of catastrophic surges were heartbreaking.

So I went and did a review, and I couldn't find anything robust! There are some case studies but no great epi data to give rates except the inferred data from the Novavax serology.

Some things I did find.... Manaus Brazil where high seroprevalence in didn't stem the surge, but was this due to reinfection or better transmission in the (more fit than wild type) P1 variant? This preprint suggested 28% of cases were reinfections, and they accounted for the higher tranmission rates, but it was model based, so whatever, potential for weaksauce study in my book is strong. Was it the same thing in SA? And the same story appears in Dhaka where they surged with the B1351 variant and they had high rates of previous infection with reports of reinfection.

This was an interesting read in Cell.

Cross neutralizing between variants across 4 waves in Japan showed the weakest final reactivity against the B1351 SA variant.

This preprint shows great (96% relative reduction) protection at 13 months after infection against reinfection but suggests reduced anti-S for B1351.

Preprint Theory on CD4/CD8 response "picking up the slack" with the B1351 variant in the face of reduced antispike activity from antibodies.

There are so many limitations. The lack of WGS availability... lack of validation of previous infection... limitation on knowing if previous infections were wild type or something else... surmising with time/location based inference based on previous prevalence rates. All that makes it hard to put an efficacy rate on previous infection against particular variant... but the vulnerability exists and MAYBE (likely?) it is higher for certain variants.

My previous statement that the rate of reinfection with B1531 is "high" if you had previous wild type infection was not only imprecise, it is not clearly backed by evidence... the jury is still out.

I wonder if people who have had covid and one mRNA shot will have trouble convincing the building checking at the door that they are fully vaccinated.
    I'm sure the CDC will get right on clearing that definition up sometime next year But the idea is a popular one.

Few studies I read on this topic were this one from the Lancet:
    "Among previously uninfected, seronegative individuals, anti-S titres after one vaccine dose were comparable to peak anti-S titres in individuals with a previous natural infection who had not yet been vaccinated. Among those with a previous SARS-CoV-2 infection, vaccination increased anti-S titres more than 140-fold from peak pre-vaccine levels (figure). This increase appears to be at least one order of magnitude greater than reported after a conventional prime-boost vaccine strategy in previously uninfected individuals.3"

Nature Medince
    "spike-specific IgG antibody levels and ACE2 antibody binding inhibition responses elicited by a single vaccine dose in individuals with prior SARS-CoV-2 infection (n = 35) were similar to those seen after two doses of vaccine in individuals without prior infection (n = 228)"

IJID article:
    "One dose boosts NtAbs in previously infected more than two doses in uninfected HCWs."

And this preprint:
    "A single dose of BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine up to 15 months after SARS-CoV-2 infection provides neutralizing titers exceeding two vaccine doses in previously uninfected individuals. "

I thought there was another one that did a reanalysis of some subgroups from another large dataset, but can't find it... ah here it is in a NEJM letter.

------------------

This is the preprint mentioned by Core Shot:

Their data shows that vaccines work very very well and previous infection is protective.
    2139 infection in the unvaccinated uninfected group (n=22777 attack rate 9.4%)
    15 infections in the vaccinated uninfected group (n=26882, attack rate 0.56%)
    0 infection in the vaccinated previously infected group (n=1220)
    0 infection in the UNvaccinated previously infected group (n=1359)

I think a safer conclusion is that while vaccine is in short supply, previous infection should offer sufficient protection. What was the prevalent variant in Ohio (study site) during their study period of Dec '20 through May '21? B117 (UK) appears dominant by April. But B1351 (SA) was not very prevalent.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Congrats to the Canukistanis.

I guess I’m heartened to see that USA! is ahead of Germany & France in vax rates. Maybe we can catch up to powerhouse nations like Chile and Mongolia.
    The eu is pretty similar in their vac efforts.

Re Canada: you vaccinated a lot more first shots but:
    If you look at total shots ( first and second) Germany is pretty much Equal. 64 plus 11 vs. 48 plus 25.
    75 vs. 73 shots per 100.

Edit : as of this morning we are at 75.5
    So exaclty in maple syrup territory.

BTW. How does canada Manage the second doses if they are rushing out first ones at this rate?
    Last edited by subtle plague; 06-15-2021 at 02:48 AM.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    A sales guy at a company I used to work for told that joke (a slightly different version of it) as an “ice breaker” at the start of his presentation to a room of big wigs at a potential new customer in SLC we were trying to woo.

He was expecting a laugh, or at least a smile or two, but nothing. Dead silence in the room. Stone faces.

He got chewed out royally by his manager afterwards, and almost lost his job over it.
    He must have been a pretty productive sales person to even get that break.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Maybe we can catch up to powerhouse nations like Chile and Mongolia.
    Meh. Doesn't count when they're using China's crappy Sinovac version.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post

If you look at total shots ( first and second) Germany is pretty much Equal. 64 plus 11 vs. 48 plus 25.
    75 vs. 73 shots per 100.

BTW. How does canada Manage the second doses if they are rushing out first ones at this rate?
    When it all started you were able to book your second dose after 16 weeks (was usually automatically scheduled for you). Then, supply started picking up so they reduced this to 8 weeks. Everyone I know either has had their second dose already (old people and/or important jobs), or have it scheduled in the next 2 weeks (like me and the wife).

I'm gonna roll with the AZ/Moderna mix-and-match program. Was kind of annoyed because I had to choose myself which second brand I wanted. I don't care and don't want to make this choice, just stick me with something please.

Apparently they work better with an 8-12 week interval anyway so it's all good. Still pockets of dumbass anti-vaxxers around though. When I encounter these people they go on my 'no-talk' list. I have nothing to say to them, about anything. Their opinions or life experiences are automatically invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Meh. Doesn't count when they're using China's crappy Sinovac version.
    Of course it counts. It's still a great measure of a population's confidence in science, as demonstrated by a willingness to take a vaccine. Besides, when this all started we were told that if a vaccine ended up having 50-60% success then it'd be all good in the hood.

...and finally, Canada is set to receive 14 million more doses over the next ~3 weeks. Should have enough to have the entire population double-dosed by August 1 (of those who are willing to get it).

All we need is to get kids 12 and under started and we're good to go.

Summit--wow! thanks for taking the time. Without reading every word of all of those links--seems to me, if you've been infected get one shot.* While you may be protected by your previous infection alone from the original strain, the more dangerous variants will continue to spread and you may not (probably not?) be protected from them.

*Better get two shots if you don't want to have to explain all this to a nightclub doorman with a 10th grade education who's checking vax cards at the door. (Actually, CS, you probably wouldn't get in anyway.)

^My understanding matches yours

75 vs. 73 shots per 100.

The Canadian strategy was to put as many single shots in arms as possible as that protected the most amount of people fastest with the limited supply. Now that supply has almost caught up with demand the 2nd doses are starting. I think the important thing about the curves are the shape. A flattening would indicate the level of vaccine hesitancy. In Canada that is still dropping I think.

Germany has a pretty nice steep slope similair to Canada though a little less which bodes well for future but I think the important slope is when it passes 50-60% . Look at Israel started off great with good supply but now seems to be lacking willing arms.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Canada was late getting the vax didnt really have enough so they chose to do more 1st shots and stretch out the time to second shot to get more people with 1 shot which turned out to be a good idea cuz even just the 1 shot made a big difference.

They were talking up to 4 months till the second ( I got mine in < 8 weeks ) nbut I think they have enough and are now doing the 2nd shot after 8 weeks or less and I'm reading the vax hesitancy in Canada is WAY less than the USA
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This was sort of interesting, sort of expected. A few people tested positive for antibodies with blood drawn in Illinois in December 2019:

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance...iab519/6294073
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

My sister lives in Germany and is apoplectic about how poorly they are getting shots into arms. She says it's a shitshow trying to find an appointment because there aren't enough doses.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    This was sort of interesting, sort of expected. A few people tested positive for antibodies with blood drawn in Illinois in December 2019:

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance...iab519/6294073
    Seems like a robust methodology vs the results they present. Sequential multi-target IgG serology testing on samples between 2 January and 18 March 2020 from participants in a non-random nationwide longitudinal study. Here are my snippets to summarize it:

"Phylogenetic analyses suggested evolution of the SARSCoV-2 virus between October and December 2019."

"our definition of seropositive was that an individual must be seropositive on Abbott and subsequently seropositive on EUROIMMUN ... Seven of the 9 seropositive individuals were detectable prior to the first confirmed cases in the states of their residence ... there was a 0.00019, 0.00210, 0.01405, 0.06251, 0.19487, 0.43841, 0.72959, and 0.93492 probability that there were at least 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 false positive results, respectively."

"Our findings suggests the virus may have been present in Illinois as early as December 24, 2019. Our findings of suspected SARS-CoV-2 infection in January in Wisconsin (n=1 participant) and Massachusetts (n=1) corroborate a recent retrospective study of antibodies that were reactive in microneutralization with live SARS-CoV-2 (USA-WA1/2020) in Wisconsin (n=3) and Massachusetts (n=16) in blood donations made December 30, 2019-January 17, 2020"

"Further, our findings expand the knowledge of undetected SARS-CoV-2 infections likely occurring in early January in Illinois and early February in Pennsylvania. These data suggest SARSCoV-2 infection in states far from the initial hotspots, and originally considered points of entry to the US of Seattle, WA, and New York City, NY. Although the virus was presumed to be circulating in New York City, Seattle, and the state of California, none of the All of Us participants in these states tested positive, perhaps due to the low (albeit increasing) and highly-localized transmission from January through mid-March (and the smaller numbers of All of Us participants from the state of Washington).

Given the disproportionate burden of the subsequent US COVID-19 epidemic in minority populations, it is noteworthy that 7 of the 9 seropositive individuals were from older minority participants." (Summit's note: the results are not generalizable because of intentional emphasis on including minority participation into the original study population.

"This study contributes to the evidence of low-level circulation of SARS-CoV-2 in many states at the start of the US epidemic."

Got a call yesterday from the Pharmacy, booked Thursday for my second shot 5 days before the 8 week waiting time. I'm 40 and have no medical issues.
    Pretty sure AZ choosers get to jump the queue since the shots are all about to expiry around July 1.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    My sister lives in Germany and is apoplectic about how poorly they are getting shots into arms. She says it's a shitshow trying to find an appointment because there aren't enough doses.
    Yanno, I'm still surprised at Germany's lack of prep on the vax front. I expected a more from them. Don't know what led to the current situation but IIRC it has something to do with betting on the wrong horse.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Well she clearly is not one of the lucky half of the Population
    To be honest: my wife is struggling too.
    But in 4 weeks It'll all be over.

.edit: kq it's all good. The doses we get are allocated effectively. It's just that we bought together with the Rest of Europe. So we depend on deliveries. And we can only stab what we have. Europe actually exported more vaccine than any other Region.
    We didn't go full on stuffing our Euro or Dollar cocks down the manufacturer throats like Israel or the US and we didn't block the Export of vaccines like the uk. So all is well. And we didn't buy second rate vaccines like chile or other countries.

Germans like to bitch about the government, but there is really no reason except you are one of the xxx first persons. There wasn't (still is not) enough vaccine in the beginning so there would have been a bidding war for biontec / moderna.

That's still happening in many parts of Canada as well. Canada's vaccination performance is largely driven by Ontario (~40% of Canada's population), and Ontario focused the first dose (and now the second dose Delta protector) in hot spots - which coincidentally are the most populated zones in the province (Greater Toronto Area @ ~8M).

There are lots of people from Ottawa and many rural areas complaining that 'Toronto is getting all the vaccines' as they simply aren't even able to get a first dose yet. This is all expected to change in the next couple of weeks. The Canada curve will start to shoot back up again. Current pace of 180k per day has us able to provide a single dose to every eligible person in 18 days, and full vaccination in 80 days. Those dates should pull in even tighter though with the impending flood of Moderna that's coming this month.

Either way it's great to see. Just went out on a couple errands and although masks are still mandatory things felt juuuuust a little more normal.

Walked my first store today no mask. Had the buff round neck in case we came close to others, but this was Sam's on a Tuesday afternoon. Big aisles and I use scan and go so I walk right out. Felt interesting

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

we didn't block the Export of vaccines like the uk. So all is well. And we didn't buy second rate vaccines like chile or other
    Which, quite ironically, is biting them in the ass because Az and sinovac ( though I have not followed chile closely) are crap against delta after one shot.
    the uk has five Times the infection rate of Germany and I dare to say it's connected.

Well she clearly is not one of the lucky half of the Population
    To be honest: my wife is struggling too.
    But in 4 weeks It'll all be over.

.edit: kq it's all good. The doses we get are allocated effectively. It's just that we bought together with the Rest of Europe. So we depend on deliveries. And we can only stab what we have. Europe actually exported more vaccine than any other Region.
    We didn't go full on stuffing our Euro or Dollar cocks down the manufacturer throats like Israel or the US and we didn't block the Export of vaccines like the uk. So all is well. And we didn't buy second rate vaccines like chile or other countries.

Germans like to bitch about the government, but there is really no reason except you are one of the xxx first persons. There wasn't (still is not) enough vaccine in the beginning so there would have been a bidding war for biontec / moderna.
    Half??? She says like 26% of eligible so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Walked my first store today no mask. Had the buff round neck in case we came close to others, but this was Sam's on a Tuesday afternoon. Big aisles and I use scan and go so I walk right out. Felt interesting

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Rawdogging always feels good
    . . .