Page 219 of 929 FirstFirst ... 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,475 of 23206
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Here is the NY Times article that best explains the position shift. It says this was not a political decision and not driven from the White House but rather the most recent science (as mentioned in the posts above). It claims the White House was actually surprised.

Why the C.D.C. Changed Its Advice on Masks https://nyti.ms/3w71agK

I dunno. Mixed feelings. I do think the CDC needs to make its decisions and guidance based on the science. It isn't their job to actually set the policy. That is where our politicians, business leaders, and the American public can step in and drop the ball completely.
    I think it was a premature announcement that should have been put on ice until at least June. Now all these assholes are out there unvaxxed and adding stress to those of us with kids under 12.

Should your 12 year old get vaxxed? It's not as straight forward as you might think. This guy is a well known curmudgeon, but he's got some good points.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...001271296.html

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Also worth noting that absolute risk means nothing without knowing the time period. Any population can have an absolute risk of 0.01% of anything if you just count up the number in the population, divide by 10,000 and count until you reach that number. Useful if you click your stopwatch while counting, but not so much otherwise.
    Agreed. The most important thing to know is that it's very rare to get infected once fully mRNA vaccinated, and even if infected the viral load in the nose is so low that transmission is unlikely.

The part I'm struggling with is balancing the AE's with the benefit. We traditionally think of the benefit as the potential to reduce short term disease. However, if we think a little further into the future you might consider vaccination the equivilent of round up where you destroy the soil on which the virus could propagate. Call it the original virus, call it a variant, doesn't matter. It's the same reason why we continue to give measles vaccines even though annually there are less than 1000 cases. Getting ahead of future outbreaks.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I think it was a premature announcement that should have been put on ice until at least June. Now all these assholes are out there unvaxxed and adding stress to those of us with kids under 12.
    It definitely adds stress.

I think it is an open question if the stress is justified. The main reason I didn't want my 11 yo to catch it was to save my wife and my ass. Do I worry she gets long covid or on of the rare kids who gets super sick. Sure. But is it rational?

In other words what is her actual risk of severe illness or death compared to me...fully vaccinated. Is it similar? If it is why am I worried.

I don't think we have clear guidance. Which sucks.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    The part I'm struggling with is balancing the AE's with the benefit. We traditionally think of the benefit as the potential to reduce short term disease. However, if we think a little further into the future you might consider vaccination the equivilent of round up where you destroy the soil on which the virus could propagate. Call it the original virus, call it a variant, doesn't matter. It's the same reason why we continue to give measles vaccines even though annually there are less than 1000 cases. Getting ahead of future outbreaks.

It's premature to say this is a thing, but researches have identified a structural basis for a pan-coronavirus vaccine. If such a vaccine existed then in addition to COVID, it could mitigate the threat of other coronaviruses too and would probably be as routine as a measles or a tetanus shot.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41594-021-00596-4

It does seem a little premature to me. I got my vax as soon as I was eligible and get my second one on Tuesday. The national date for eligibility for all adults was April 19th, so 28 days from that for the Moderna vaccine is Monday. It seems like we'll have a lot more adults fully vaxxed in a few weeks, but right now many are still getting shots even if they didn't delay at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    The national date for eligibility for all adults was April 19th, so 28 days from that for the Moderna vaccine is Monday. It seems like we'll have a lot more adults fully vaxxed in a few weeks, but right now many are still getting shots even if they didn't delay at all.
    Yeah, that's the shoddy part of the media's reporting. Everybody in this country "who wanted a shot" and followed the eligibility schedule still isn't "fully vaccinated"

And if you want to extra pedantic, if your first shot was on the 19th, and second shot on the 17th, full protection will be achieved by the 31st.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Meanwhile, there is nothing to prevent a risk averse person from wearing a mask.
    It's a bummer masks became so politicized. It would be nice to see masks worn in the future whenever someone has a cold or the flu to prevent spreading to others, like the norm in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    There are no known cases of a fully mRNA vaccinated person spreading the virus.
    I marvel at how effective these vaccines are. We should have a national honor day for the people that have developed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey E View Post
    Makes sense I suppose

How does one measure or characterize a person as populist? As it can occur on both the right and left.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    It's 24 hours past Pfizer #2 for me.

So far only effect is a very slight tightness in the upper arm. And I don't have the fatigue/urge to sleep as I did from #1, even tried to sleep in the late aftn yesterday but couldn't. Did a few hours of DIY work around the house today and still feeling good.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Didn't you just discuss the difference between absolute and relative risk?
    Exactly. If 0.01% of vaccinated got infected and 100% of the unvaccinated got infected that's a 99.99% relative risk reduction, or efficacy If we say that 1% of the unvaccinated got infected (a very high estimate for a short period of time) that's a 99% relative risk reduction. That's still pretty damn good. But if we're going to use statistics lets use accurate ones. Of course we don't know the real numbers--true incidence of breakthrough infection, period of time, true incidence of infections in the unvaccinated so any number we come up with at this point is meaningless. It's enough to say the vaccine is working very well.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    How does one measure or characterize a person as populist? As it can occur on both the right and left.
    From bennymac’s OP:

“ The most important factor is populism, which we measure using a scale comprised of four categories: trusting down-to-earth people over experts; preferring strong leadership over debate and deliberation; support for increased use of referendums and plebiscites; and believing politicians soon lose touch with the people after they are elected. “
    Not sure why you’re bringing Left or Right into this, since those were reported separately?

He lives on the other side of town and is a walking black market pharmacy but maybe I'll risk everything and offer to give him a ride.
    Don't know if you have Uber/Lyft where you are but if you do: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...hite-house-say

We do. Didn't know about that. Cool!

Exactly. If 0.01% of vaccinated got infected and 100% of the unvaccinated got infected that's a 99.99% relative risk reduction, or efficacy If we say that 1% of the unvaccinated got infected (a very high estimate for a short period of time) that's a 99% relative risk reduction. That's still pretty damn good. But if we're going to use statistics lets use accurate ones. Of course we don't know the real numbers--true incidence of breakthrough infection, period of time, true incidence of infections in the unvaccinated so any number we come up with at this point is meaningless. It's enough to say the vaccine is working very well.
    I would agree if you mean to say the numbers are imprecise, but I don't think they're meaningless because they show, as you point out, the vaccines are working exceptionally well.

The numbers we have so far are since vaccinations began. Whether that's a short period of time is of course subjective. To Jono's point the 0.01% vaccinated infection % will either grow or shrink depending on when you stop the clock. Our intuition might suggest the number will grow because over time the percentage of breakthrough cases will increase. That could happen. The other possibility is "a vaccinated population" will see the percentage of cases shrink making the 0.01% number a high water mark because the total population infection rate was at its highest when vaccinations began.
    Last edited by MultiVerse; 05-15-2021 at 02:32 PM.

It’s interesting to read the SMEs that feel that the cdc new guidance was another mistake from those working in a non-real world bubble.

To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

It definitely adds stress.

I think it is an open question if the stress is justified. The main reason I didn't want my 11 yo to catch it was to save my wife and my ass. Do I worry she gets long covid or on of the rare kids who gets super sick. Sure. But is it rational?

In other words what is her actual risk of severe illness or death compared to me...fully vaccinated. Is it similar? If it is why am I worried.

I don't think we have clear guidance. Which sucks.

Yeah, I’m stressed about how many parents around us now feel kids don’t need masks (except at school) and that’s premature IMO. We don’t know the long term effects even if they don’t get sick badly. I don’t want her to have lung issues 10 years from now because we didn’t continue having her mask up inside around other kids.

Does anyone know if the Pfizer vaxx for 12-15 year olds the same two shots or a different dosage?

Sorry, I was a bit too brief there. I meant, the 0.01% number is obviously an absolute risk number, not a relative one, so there is no use for a comparison with the unvaxed population, as would be used with relative risk calculations.

To Vaccinate or Not---The Rat Flu Odyssey Continues

Does anyone know if the Pfizer vaxx for 12-15 year olds the same two shots or a different dosage?
    This was discussed at the Town Hall the other day with Faucci and the Surgeon General.

Long video, but worth watching the entire thing as a family. The answer you are looking for is around between 40:00 to 50:00 (I think)

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I believe it's the same (0.3 mL each dose)

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    From bennymac’s OP:

Not sure why you’re bringing Left or Right into this, since those were reported separately?
    Did read that and some of the questions on this would be easy to put together. Do you usually trust experts? Trust opinion of PhD over guy down road, do you think debate is a waste of time, should there be more referendums on import issues, do you distrust politicians? I guess I really never thought of the definition of a populist person. Those questions certainly don't define left vs right though the experts and debate question I would think would be more on the right side of the spectrum.

Have to say that the characterization of Alberta as religious, rural etc is only true when compared to other Canadian provinces and certainly wouldn't be a accurate characterization for an American to make. As AB would left of almost all US states. Had NDP gov't 3 years ago and NDP is doing well in polls.

Edit. AB is the worst in Can for "will not get the vac" at 20% compared to national average of 8%. Whereas the US is as high as 30% to a low of 11% with an average of 20- 19%.
    Last edited by DougW; 05-16-2021 at 09:48 AM.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    I would agree if you mean to say the numbers are imprecise, but I don't think they're meaningless because they show, as you point out, the vaccines are working exceptionally well.

The numbers we have so far are since vaccinations began. Whether that's a short period of time is of course subjective. To Jono's point the 0.01% vaccinated infection % will either grow or shrink depending on when you stop the clock. Our intuition might suggest the number will grow because over time the percentage of breakthrough cases will increase. That could happen. The other possibility is "a vaccinated population" will see the percentage of cases shrink making the 0.01% number a high water mark because the total population infection rate was at its highest when vaccinations began.
    agreed

Sorry, I was a bit too brief there. I meant, the 0.01% number is obviously an absolute risk number, not a relative one, so there is no use for a comparison with the unvaxed population, as would be used with relative risk calculations.
    nothing wrong with brevity, as I'm told from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I believe it's the same (0.3 mL each dose)
    Yup, same dose. And in my area, they’re ramping up the get-your-kid-vaccinated theme. The middle school is setting up a vax clinic this week; my kid’s getting the jab.