Question School Me On Snowshoes

My dad is in the market for snowshoes for himself and my non-skiing mom for recreation use. Both are in their 60s and are hoping to use snowshoes for some leisurely hikes in snowy areas. Limited/moderate elevation gain may be sought. I highly doubt they would use them in completely untracked/ off-trail scenarios.

He asked me for advice on what to buy and I, unfortunately, don't know much about snowshoes. Any ideas as to what may be a good setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    My dad is in the market for snowshoes for himself and my non-skiing mom for recreation use. Both are in their 60s and are hoping to use snowshoes for some leisurely hikes in snowy areas. Limited/moderate elevation gain may be sought. I highly doubt they would use them in completely untracked/ off-trail scenarios.

He asked me for advice on what to buy and I, unfortunately, don't know much about snowshoes. Any ideas as to what may be a good setup?
    honestly, just find cheap ones. if they're not running nor climbing steep hills nor going into deep untracked powder, basic snowshoes are all they need.

something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Snowsho...04019160&psc=1

I am a big fan of MSR shoes. I have a pair of denali shoes from the mid 90's that are on their second binding and have been worked hard in forestry and wildland management. Light and excellent in low snowpack conditions, with probably the best traction around. They have a free pivot binding that actually works too. The current model is the MSR Evo line; the Evo Trail model might work for them. Only downside of the hard-decked Evo is they are a bit noisy on crunchy snow. The MSR Lighting models are also excellent shoes, but a bit more technical than what your folks are probably after.

I've also worked with various Tubs models for when the snows are deeper - I do prefer a soft deck for deeper snow, but they have nowhere near the traction of the MSR brands when its gets steep and crusty. Aluminum tube frames are also less durable for heavy work (and using a chainsaw - oops!) but should be fine for light trail use. A lot come down to what binding system works best for you. If they do a lot of steep trails, a heel riser is really nice as well.

MSR is good and tubbs is also good. It’s based on weight and if your over 200 lbs or not. Could start a thread there was a guy selling some at good prices.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    MSR is good and tubbs is also good. It’s based on weight and if your over 200 lbs or not. Could start a thread there was a guy selling some at good prices.
    I don't worry too much about weight specs in low snow. My denalis are only about 50cm, and I am 100kg before putting on the gear. If the snow get close to knee deep, I start to think about putting on my 80cm Tubbs. I used to have pair of old sherpas that were >1.2m in length, but they were boat anchors unless the fresh snow was well above my waist. I don't work in snow that deep anymore - those are sick days reserved for the skis!

the nice thing I found with MSR is they are narrow and fit better in posthole/skin tracks, also the cleat is nice for ice

https://www.irlsupplies.com/0/produc...97581&cat=5846

if you want the toughest/ most expensive snow shoes ^^ the Arctic Trekker from IRL in Prince George, 400$ without bindings
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

all of these might be great brands and whatnot but honestly you just don't need that much snowshoe for what your folks are planning on doing

i can't tell you how many times i've seen people out on trails that are perfectly packed with folks on like $300 MSR ascent evos

they don't need fancy aerospace grade aluminum frames
    they don't need high tech bindings
    they don't need heel risers

just some basic slow shoes to go on hikes, right?

School Me On Snowshoes

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    all of these might be great brands and whatnot but honestly you just don't need that much snowshoe for what your folks are planning on doing

i can't tell you how many times i've seen people out on trails that are perfectly packed with folks on like $300 MSR ascent evos

they don't need fancy aerospace grade aluminum frames
    they don't need high tech bindings
    they don't need heel risers

just some basic slow shoes to go on hikes, right?
    The basic Evo Trail is $170 CAD, with no aerospace Al, no heel risers, and a very simple binding. They grip like a mofo and are near unbreakable. Just noisy. But you are right, on a perfectly packed trail, all you need are some grippers or ice cleats, not snowshoes.

XXXer, those arctic trekkers are the latest version of my old sherpas. It was going to be a long, unproductive day when those miseryslippers came out.

snowline chainsen could be nice for walking on packed snow uphill and downhill and flat
    dont know about availability overseas... but this could be easily send over to you....
    https://www.kochalpin.at/marken/snowline

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 21.21.36.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	922.2 KB 
ID:	351696

back in the days when i snowboarded i liked the MSR over the tubbs
    mainly because of the heel riser and the rubber slings closing system but thats some 20years ago
    the tubbs have improved with boa closing and bindings etc....
    i remember half way up the mountain trying to readjust those half frozen strps

they still make the model i liked most
    https://www.msrgear.com/ie/products/...es/evo-eu.html
    evo trail
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 21.24.39.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	319.2 KB 
ID:	351698

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    XXXer, those arctic trekkers are the latest version of my old sherpas. It was going to be a long, unproductive day when those miseryslippers came out.
    yup, cold n wet, getting the snowmobile stuck in waist deep snow ^^ them are the industry shoes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Or on ice, or on one inch of snow on pavement.

Thanks all. I generally agree that snowshoes are overused. There are often better tools. My parents are very excited about them though. I guess several of their friends have told them that snowshoeing as a hobby is fun?

I went looking for MSR but it seems like they are sold out most places. I ended up finding some Atlas Helium snowshoes and bought them for my parents for Christmas and I gave my dad a heads up to stop his search. The ones I got have a heal riser that'll maybe get used every now and then and a kinda aggressive crampon that is probably overkill. Hopefully my parents have fun with them.

good choice... by the picture the binding looks solid and simple, even snowy and wet it should be operatable...

the rest looks pretty similar to msr... i think the right tool for crossing/hiking a flatish forrest and field in bluebird and lots fresh snow..

After having a pair of the classic tube loop style shoes for years I got a pair of the newer solid body flexible plastic body ones and it is like a different sport. Spend a little extra and get the new style, especially if you are not doing a lot of deep light snow.

Found these and they seem to have all the functions you need. And cheap

https://www.wildhornoutfitters.com/c...nt=54032564238

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Lol. Yeah, hopefully they get into cross country skiing or something.