Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pearl Harbor: 79 years ago today but everyday nowadays

I don't mean to be some sort of flag-waving idiot but rather someone who enjoys history and thinks it is absurd that this was a year shy of four scores ago.

There is also this: https://www.nj.com/opinion/2020/12/i...y-opinion.html

The death toll of the second-deadliest attack on american soil is surpassed each day by the newest single-day death toll from COVID and yet it seems we stand idly.
    swing your fucking sword.

In just 90 minutes Imperial Japan inflicted 3581 US casualties with 19 ships and 349 planes damaged or destroyed.

Japan also attacked the US at Guam, Wake, and the Philippines over the next few hours.

For the US, 420K dead and 672K wounded in the resulting war, meaning almost 1% of the US population were casualties.
    Over 12% of the population served in the war and 7 of my relatives served.
    I have my grandfather's 48 star flag. I put it out this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    For the US, 420K dead and 672K wounded in the resulting war.
    7 family members served.
    I have my grandfather's 48 star flag. I put it out this morning.
    hell yeah, summit.

My dad was 16 yrs old and both of his parents were dead already. He was so pissed off as were all of his friends. He tried to join instantly and was denied for two years (thankfully from my perspective!). Ended up in Okinawa after we had already taken the island (again, thankfully). Then we dropped the bombs and it was over. He never really saw any action which was a blessing. War sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    I don't mean to be some sort of flag-waving idiot but rather someone who enjoys history and thinks it is absurd that this was a year shy of four scores ago.

There is also this: https://www.nj.com/opinion/2020/12/i...y-opinion.html

The death toll of the second-deadliest attack on american soil is surpassed each day by the newest single-day death toll from COVID and yet it seems we stand idly.
    If you're into the history, check out the latest Hardcore History series about the Pacific theater (Supernova in the East). Like all HH it's super rad. Lots of stuff about the rise of imperial Japan, their occupation of China, and everything else that went on in the Pacific pre-Pearl Harbor that is never discussed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If you're into the history, check out the latest Hardcore History series about the Pacific theater (Supernova in the East). Like all HH it's super rad. Lots of stuff about the rise of imperial Japan, their occupation of China, and everything else that went on in the Pacific pre-Pearl Harbor that is never discussed here.
    i'll definitely check that out. thanks for the rec.

it seems that history has forgotten that hirohito's reign was every bit as bad as, if not worse than, hitler's regime. the japanese murdered twice as many.

Thanks. I'll do that. Both my Dad and Mum were kids during the Japanese occupation of Malaya. They basically starved

My grandfather was dissappeared when Singapore was occupied, he was American and too white

Both my parents came of age in war zones, it was tough on them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    i'll definitely check that out. thanks for the rec.

it seems that history has forgotten that hirohito's reign was every bit as bad as, if not worse than, hitler's regime. the japanese murdered twice as many.
    I haven't read much about him, but his legacy is clearly controversial. Some state he was just a figurehead.

I like to follow Dan around with the disclaimer that you need to really be into history and have the ability to focus for the couple of hours each episode entails because missing a few seconds is enough to fuck up the next several hours.

I love HH, BTW.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I can recommend some awesome books on the Pacific War:

Freedom From Fear (more 1930-1945 worldwide)
    At Dawn We Slept
    Neptunes Inferno
    Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors
    The Fleet at Flood Tide
    Miracle at Midway
    Thunder Below
    The Big E
    Stillwell and the American Experience in China 1911-1945
    The Making of the Atomic Bomb
    With the Old Breed
    Helmet for My Pillow
    Downfall: The End of Imperial Japanese Empire
    A War to Be Won (great book, covers all fronts)

From the Japanese POV:
    Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire
    Shattered Sword (pretty technical at times, read after MIracle)
    Japanese Destroyer Captain
    Samurai!
    Hiroshima
    www.combinedfleet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Trump failed to Pearl Harbor yesterday.
    Too fucking busy I guess bloviating about stolen elections

Very sad.

My dad was a combat engineer on an attack transport ship in the Pacific. He got to go ashore first and clear beaches so the marines could safely come in. “No marine ever landed on a beach wasn’t a sailor there to shake his hand”

He was at Nagasaki two weeks after the bomb. I once asked him what it was like. He shuddered, said “you don’t want to know” and got a thousand yard stare.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Trump failed to Pearl Harbor yesterday.
    Too fucking busy I guess bloviating about stolen elections

Very sad.
    Thats complete horse shit. A-hole.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...ance-day-2020/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I like to follow Dan around with the disclaimer that you need to really be into history and have the ability to focus for the couple of hours each episode entails because missing a few seconds is enough to fuck up the next several hours.

I love HH, BTW.
    Focus is key. I spent too long pondering his pronunciation of Jane-gis Khan and missed the conquering of half of China.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post

I love HH, BTW.
    Hah, yeah, for sure. If you're new to HH I think the best episode to start with is Destroyer of Worlds (about the dawn of the nuclear age). It's easier to follow since it's relatively recent events, it's not a multi-part epic, and it initiates you to his style.

Hah, yeah, for sure. If you're new to HH I think the best episode to start with is Destroyer of Worlds (about the dawn of the nuclear age). It's easier to follow since it's relatively recent events, it's not a multi-part epic, and it initiates you to his style.
    The advice is appreciated. I started reevaluating my week when I looked at starting the Pacific War series.

I've got a copy of a report outlining weaknesses and plans to fix them at PH written in Feb 41. It wasn't implemented. PM if you'd like the other 5 pages.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pearl1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	375.2 KB 
ID:	351939
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Thats complete horse shit. A-hole.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...ance-day-2020/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Can you read? I said he made no mention on Dec 7. His proclamation is dated 12/4
    Dumbfuck

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I can recommend some awesome books on the Pacific War:

Freedom From Fear (more 1930-1945 worldwide)
    At Dawn We Slept
    Neptunes Inferno
    Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors
    The Fleet at Flood Tide
    Miracle at Midway
    Thunder Below
    The Big E
    Stillwell and the American Experience in China 1911-1945
    With the Old Breed
    Helmet for My Pillow
    Downfall: The End of Imperial Japanese Empire
    A War to Be Won (great book, covers all fronts)

From the Japanese POV:
    Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire
    Shattered Sword (pretty technical at times, read after MIracle)
    Japanese Destroyer Captain
    Samurai!
    Hiroshima
    www.combinedfleet.com
    thanks for this

BUMP for 81 years.

Props to the US Navy for naming our newest aircraft carrier after a brave sailor named Doris Miller. He was a cook onboard the battleship West Virginia. During the Pearl Harbor attack he manned an anti-aircraft gun and is credited with shooting down 4 japanese airplanes.

His battleship sunk during the attack, but he survived and was awarded the Navy Cross, just one step below the Medal of Honor.

He was reassigned to an aircraft carrier, but was Killed In Action along with 600+ shipmates during the Battle for Makin Island.

Name:	Image1670463903.576639.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	886.7 KB 
ID:	437280
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Cool story about a 6' 200 lb 14 YO that got kicked out of the military twice and fought in 3 wars

https://wwiifoundation.org/lesson/gr...ry-goes-viral/

I regret not asking my dad more question about the war. Of course, like most, he didn't really talk much about it. Being in a tin can in the Battle of Leyte must have been life changing, (his ship fired torpedoes on the Japs 36 hours before the main battle started). So he wasn't in the slaughter fest, thankfully

RIP Veterans.
    Grandfather served on USS Wasp CV-7 until it was sunk (15 September 1942), then served on USS Hornet CV-8 until it sunk (26 October 1942), then served on USS Enterprise CV-6 at Guadalcanal.

USS Wasp

Name:	USS_Wasp_(CV-7)_burning_on_15_September_1942_(fsa.8e00768).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	437308

USS Hornet

Name:	Japanese_aircraft_attack_USS_Hornet_(CV-8)_during_the_Battle_of_the_Santa_Cruz_Islands_on_26_Oct.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	437309

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    BUMP for 81 years.

Props to the US Navy for naming our newest aircraft carrier after a brave sailor named Doris Miller. He was a cook onboard the battleship West Virginia. During the Pearl Harbor attack he manned an anti-aircraft gun and is credited with shooting down 4 japanese airplanes.

His battleship sunk during the attack, but he survived and was awarded the Navy Cross, just one step below the Medal of Honor.

He was reassigned to an aircraft carrier, but was Killed In Action along with 600+ shipmates during the Battle for Makin Island.
    What a badass hero