Snow pack in the Ruby Mountains?

What is the snowpack generally like in the Ruby Mountains? I know it can vary a ton from year to year, but I'm having trouble finding information on what the snowpack is typically like. How late does snow typically persist up there, especially in a place like terminal cancer? What is the most stable time of year up there? What is typically the ideal time to ski terminal cancer and other big lines?

Quote Originally Posted by gotpow View Post
    What is the snowpack generally like in the Ruby Mountains? I know it can vary a ton from year to year, but I'm having trouble finding information on what the snowpack is typically like. How late does snow typically persist up there, especially in a place like terminal cancer? What is the most stable time of year up there? What is typically the ideal time to ski terminal cancer and other big lines?
    If you have to ask....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Call Joe, he will know.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I'd pm icemans
    Buts Joe don't know his password
    I thought rontele worked for the heli op out there
    Pm him
    He'd know
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

There's usually a lot of snow there, it lasts until it melts. Summer is usually the most stable time of year, pretty much no avalanche danger or civil unrest. Crack of noon is always the best time to ski.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

I was talking to a guide there, and he was saying that much of the time the snowpack is pretty much all facets.

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.B.C. View Post
    I was talking to a guide there, and he was saying that much of the time the snowpack is pretty much all facets.
    Like most desert ranges. Full depth facets can be fun and terrifying.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Own your fail. ~Jer~

And sometimes it looks like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIhHV4fFFXi/

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    And sometimes it looks like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIhHV4fFFXi/
    Thanks for the current beta.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

The ideal time to ski it is 12:21
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terminal-cancer 115.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	351834
    Last edited by powdork; 12-08-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpow View Post
    Guess you'll just have to go for a recon mission. Check the snotel data in the area for current snowpack. Look at historical weather data for the past month and maybe you'll get an idea of conditions. You know, like most people did before social media and the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Guess you'll just have to go for a recon mission. Check the snotel data in the area for current snowpack. Look at historical weather data for the past month and maybe you'll get an idea of conditions. You know, like most people did before social media and the internet.
    TC has been a line of choice of every bro with an instagram following >200 these past couple years, you can get twice-weekly condition reports if you check the #terminalcancersuperspray. Gone are the days when you'd drive out there with zero idea of conditions and ski the fucker regardless of what you'd find.
    Snotels give you a very dim picture of what's going on. Instaspray? Shit it's like you're there yourself.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    TC has been a line of choice of every bro with an instagram following >200 these past couple years, you can get twice-weekly condition reports if you check the #terminalcancersuperspray. Gone are the days when you'd drive out there with zero idea of conditions and ski the fucker regardless of what you'd find.
    Snotels give you a very dim picture of what's going on. Instaspray? Shit it's like you're there yourself.
    Instaspray...I like it. Agreed on snotels, but like any tool, it has it's use and if the user knows how to properly use said tool they can make some OK guesses of what is going on, but the OP seems like they need a little more experience to know how to use that tool.

Yeah, kinda like the dude that spent the night at Bear Valley Road after thinking the road went through to Dagger Falls that is now snowbound and snowmobile groomer packed. His GPS must have told him on his brand new Tacoma that the road goes through, because yeah, Toyota's marketing will make you think you can just plow through snowbound roads with ease.
    Yeah the road goes through, but WTF were you thinking when you saw that the road was snowbound and you don't have anything remotely resembling all terrain tires or a shovel or survival gear. So you spent the night 100 yards off a fairly busy highway without flagging someone down?

Yeah, here's my shovel, dig yourself out. I'm gonna go for a tour. Seemed kinda pissed I wouldn't help him any further other than offering him my shovel and telling him to flag down a road crew or sheriff.

Looks like the plow driver might have helped him get out, he wasn't there when I got back. Morons.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Instaspray...I like it. Agreed on snotels, but like any tool, it has it's use and if the user knows how to properly use said tool they can make some OK guesses of what is going on, but the OP seems like they need a little more experience to know how to use that tool.

Yeah, kinda like the dude that spent the night at Bear Valley Road after thinking the road went through to Dagger Falls that is now snowbound and snowmobile groomer packed. His GPS must have told him on his brand new Tacoma that the road goes through, because yeah, Toyota's marketing will make you think you can just plow through snowbound roads with ease.
    Yeah the road goes through, but WTF were you thinking when you saw that the road was snowbound and you don't have anything remotely resembling all terrain tires or a shovel or survival gear. So you spent the night 100 yards off a fairly busy highway without flagging someone down?

Yeah, here's my shovel, dig yourself out. I'm gonna go for a tour. Seemed kinda pissed I wouldn't help him any further other than offering him my shovel and telling him to flag down a road crew or sheriff.

Looks like the plow driver might have helped him get out, he wasn't there when I got back. Morons.
    Did you get your shovel back?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Did you get your shovel back?
    surprisingly, yes...he didn't just throw it in the bed of this Tacoma, which is what he probably should have done if he'd had any brains.