Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Vancouver Island. Nothing to See Here.

Washington opened yesterday. We went up this afternoon. Somehow, the rain this past week has not improved skiing conditions. Only 2 chairs and the carpets running. Definitely early season conditions.

The wife still loves the GPOs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2e794dd9-142c-4b12-8433-9d477c13f2ba.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	575.0 KB 
ID:	351383

Little man loves the snow and was fascinated watching the chairs as we took turns doing some late afternoon laps.

Name:	1c638637-d0f1-4108-9f64-2959b91eeca6.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	374.9 KB 
ID:	351384

Took him on a little walk last weekend.

Name:	c0e3e802-2d48-45da-a044-ea9484cc10db.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	568.8 KB 
ID:	351387

Name:	d0385f3c-9160-4bab-a3a8-2e8a2e7d87de.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	469.7 KB 
ID:	351388

Hoping this can help with the fun times this season.

Name:	e487005f-4c20-402e-b3d5-d20339d7a5b1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	466.7 KB 
ID:	351385

Biking is still good.

Name:	IMG_0631.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	351386

Cain is scheduled to open next weekend.

Support the bulletin - they’re low on funds this season as the bulletin party was cancelled due to the pandemic. Buy a sticker online or at Blue Toque.

https://www.islandavalanchebulletin.com/
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Nice one! Always enjoy some family stoke. Love the Chariots. Gave us the opportunity to ski for hours together while the little one slept

Vancouver Island. Nothing to See Here.

Don't believe the hype. Cain sucks. Tell your friends.

Last edited by shafty85; 12-13-2020 at 12:33 AM.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Wow. That’s a pretty special place.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Awesome. Yet another reason being American sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post

The video isn't helping your case. Another mountain on the list!

Spent a few days in Tofino couple years ago. I could totally live on that island

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Hopefully no one discovers that the north island has beaches too.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

It does, but they're all jagged shale with shark infested waters, so I wouldn't bother with them. Tofino and Sombrio is where its at.

For those of you who may have the interest and financial means to do so, Cain is fundraising to help the Wolf Pack (seen in the video) as well as build a public washroom (not seen in the video). It may give the appearance of a corporate resort backed by hedge funds and populated by dentists and lawyers, but it isn't.

https://store.mountcain.com/donations

As a not-for-profit society ( https://www.mountcain.com/mission-statement ) whose goal is to provide the north island community with an affordable outdoor winter experiences, $55 lift tickets (Canadian pesos, so ~$43US) only go so far.
    Last edited by shafty85; 12-13-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Yeah, looks horrible.. I wouldn't ever want to ski there. Of course, until we can gain entry back into Canada, I don't have to think about it.

Mt Cain is like fight club, the first rule is you don’t talk about it. Nothing to see here. Move along folks.
    Being grown-up sucks!

That's a great video. I heard about Cain when I lived on Whidbey Island, but never checked it out. We went to Vanvouver Island several times but never in winter. I don't think you guys need to worry about crowds, but I officially have this place on my hit list now.

Meh, it's probably heavy snow...
    See ya there one day Shafty!

You betcha Gary! And we hope to visit your northern climes once this Covid situation is behind us.

Washington had more terrain open this weekend and upper elevations are starting to fill in, though lower elevations continue to be plagued by high FL. Cain remains closed at this time and is hoping for a post Christmas opening.

Photo from a friends scout mission last week.

Name:  IMG_1025.JPG
Views: 2458
Size:  224.6 KB

Got out for a ride with the wife on the mtb for the first time since she got pregnant ~15 months ago. Trails remained in excellent condition if you didn't get too high into the snow/slush slop.

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	389.6 KB 
ID:	355556

Went to take the sled out this AM. Keys. Keys are important. But I did get to practice shoveling out the snowbank for parking and got to see the gongshow that was the attempt of the masses to get up to the mountain while it was snowing heavily. Hint: the chains mandatory sign was flashing. People were ignoring this.

Forecast is calling for 50cm+ by Sunday if FL holds (unlikely). Try to get out again then. Until then - dad duty and biking.

Great family stoke TR...loved it. I still hope to make it your way some day. That BC place is nice, but still haven't made to the island.

One question though, why do wolves need a public restroom?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Got out for a ride with the wife on the mtb for the first time since she got pregnant ~15 months ago. Trails remained in excellent condition if you didn't get too high into the snow/slush slop.

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	389.6 KB 
ID:	355556

Went to take the sled out this AM. Keys. Keys are important. But I did get to practice shoveling out the snowbank for parking and got to see the gongshow that was the attempt of the masses to get up to the mountain while it was snowing heavily. Hint: the chains mandatory sign was flashing. People were ignoring this.

Forecast is calling for 50cm+ by Sunday if FL holds (unlikely). Try to get out again then. Until then - dad duty and biking.
    Hey I know Kathy. Small world! Congrats on daddyhood. Ive taken to the practice of carabinering my sled keys to my truck keys the night before sledding. Forgetting keys is a real PIA.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Great family stoke TR...loved it. I still hope to make it your way some day. That BC place is nice, but still haven't made to the island.

One question though, why do wolves need a public restroom?
    Yeah man - be great to have you if you make it to our little rock if the border ever opens up.

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Hey I know Kathy. Small world! Congrats on daddyhood. Ive taken to the practice of carabinering my sled keys to my truck keys the night before sledding. Forgetting keys is a real PIA.
    Small world indeed! Thanks - it's been pretty amazing. Yeah - both keys are now carbinered to the sled. Hoping to get out Sunday for a maiden voyage.

i remeber when i could post skis

KEEP IT SECRET KEEP IT SAFE

Finally got out on the sled today. Forgot how good of a workout that can be.

Name:	IMG-1059.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	772.3 KB 
ID:	356146

Name:	IMG-1061.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	1,020.3 KB 
ID:	356147

Sometimes the plans to go sledding after 50cm+ over the past 3 days will get derailed because of a kid who is struggling with his sleep so you bike down to the lake with him instead. Seems like a worthy trade-off.

Name:	IMG_1099.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	397.1 KB 
ID:	357082

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I heard about Cain when I lived on Whidbey Island.
    Not to hijack the thread, but I saw your post about living on Whidbey. Just curious what part? I spent almost every summer there as a kid. My Grandpa bought 150 ft (two 75 ft sections) of water front property on Sunlight Beach during the depression (1939) for $155.00. One was $75, the other $80. My folks still live there today. I'll be heading up to visit in a couple weeks. Sorry for the thread drift.

Finally got out on the sled today. Forgot how good of a workout that can be.

Name:	IMG-1059.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	772.3 KB 
ID:	356146

Name:	IMG-1061.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	1,020.3 KB 
ID:	356147
    Is there much good sled-skiing around Mt. Washington? Or shoots... even some sort of basic area map for sledding?
    We have family with a place there which we visit often enough (covid notwithstanding). I've never bothered to bring my machine, but have always thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I saw your post about living on Whidbey. Just curious what part? I spent almost every summer there as a kid. My Grandpa bought 150 ft (two 75 ft sections) of water front property on Sunlight Beach during the depression (1939) for $155.00. One was $75, the other $80. My folks still live there today. I'll be heading up to visit in a couple weeks. Sorry for the thread drift.
    We lived just off West Beach Road on Happy Lane, about 5 miles west of Oak Harbor on the north end of Whidbey, with a great view of the Salish Sea and Vancouver Island. My wife was teaching in Oak Harbor and I was teaching in Langley on the south end. Whidbey is a great place with great parks and waterfront access--unlike the San Juan Islands, which I always found to be a bit overly private. Made several trips to Vancouver Island to sea kayak, but never made it out there to ski. Love the pics though.

That's crazy how cheap your grandpa bought that land!