Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Vancouver Island. Nothing to See Here.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    We lived just off West Beach Road on Happy Lane, about 5 miles west of Oak Harbor on the north end of Whidbey, with a great view of the Salish Sea and Vancouver Island. My wife was teaching in Oak Harbor and I was teaching in Langley on the south end. Whidbey is a great place with great parks and waterfront access--unlike the San Juan Islands, which I always found to be a bit overly private. Made several trips to Vancouver Island to sea kayak, but never made it out there to ski. Love the pics though.

That's crazy how cheap your grandpa bought that land!
    Cool. I lived in Oak Harbor for two years when my Dad was stationed up there. I went to Oak Harbor Elementary for 3rd & 4th grade.

True story about the land prices. My grandparents were the 2nd or 3rd people to buy property on what was then a empty beach on South Whidbey. House prices down the beach from us have gone over $2 million recently. My Grandpa used to tell me how much $155.00 was during the depression and they could barely afford it. Crazy how times have changed.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 01-13-2021 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    Is there much good sled-skiing around Mt. Washington? Or shoots... even some sort of basic area map for sledding?
    We have family with a place there which we visit often enough (covid notwithstanding). I've never bothered to bring my machine, but have always thought about it.
    Though I've not sledded there, I'd assume not compared to the S2S/Whistler/Pemberton region.

No formal maps of areas that I'm aware of. We ain't up-to-date with all them new-fangled ideas over here. If people are ever allowed over here again and you make your way over during a time when there's snow with a sled in tow, I can try to point you at some areas.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Though I've not sledded there, I'd assume not compared to the S2S/Whistler/Pemberton region.

No formal maps of areas that I'm aware of. We ain't up-to-date with all them new-fangled ideas over here. If people are ever allowed over here again and you make your way over during a time when there's snow with a sled in tow, I can try to point you at some areas.
    cheers. appreciated. Anything to point me in the right direction to start scoping google earth?

Didn't you read the title? There's nothing to see here.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Well, the quality of snow at 1000m leaves something to be desired but there certainly appears to be a lot of it. Hopefully a refresh coming this week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	451.7 KB 
ID:	358270

Name:	IMG_1174.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	305.7 KB 
ID:	358271

Yesterday was a beauty day. Got out for a skin with the wife and little man. The faster we went the more he enjoyed it.

Name:	IMG_1190.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	544.1 KB 
ID:	358584

Starting to feel like winter here. Excited for the season. Little man appears to be as well.

Name:	IMG_0312.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	388570

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	388571

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	388572

Atta boy Tryggvi!

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Snow has arrived in town. Thankfully my helper is dedicated to thoroughness.

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	743.3 KB 
ID:	396603

Bike rides are chillier.

Name:	IMG_0603.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	617.8 KB 
ID:	396604

Tobogganing is a favourite.

Name:	aaf449d2-f922-4775-a85a-1214c02a1b17.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	396605

Got out on the sled for a couple hrs with the bro.

Name:	84659b6f-7f24-41e4-83fa-91ff74514915.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	396606

All-in-all a great start to the season.

Very nice skafti - good to see you and the family out again

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post

Name:	aaf449d2-f922-4775-a85a-1214c02a1b17.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	396605
    Looking fab famShafti!!!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Thanks Lee and Gary. The family definitely adds a new dynamic to getting out - very looking forward to getting the little man on skis.

The snow quality has not been lacking the past couple weeks.

Name:	IMG_2328.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	873.9 KB 
ID:	397845

Got the little man out for his first day on skis this past weekend. 18m 5d. 3 runs. Definite success for him. The carpet/tunnel back up was a highlight. I need to work on better systems for getting gear on him and myself. My back may not survive the season.

Name:	82dd3230-3ff1-4f00-9584-accfeb789987.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	361.1 KB 
ID:	397846

Name:	IMG_0702.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	440.2 KB 
ID:	397847

Sweet stoke.

The thing that saved my back was webbing straps around the little ones ankles. That way you don't have to bend down and hold him, but you can complete control his speed, while he learns how to stand up on skis. Also, one of those Lucky Bums harnesses was helpful to give the kid a handle, much easier to pick them and shake them out (to get everything pointed the right way). It also helps when they start riding lifts, to pick them onto the chair and to hold on to them on the chair.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I used a hockey stick with my kid. At first you are totally supporting them, however you can control the amount of support you give them until one day (when they're 3 or 4) the support goes away entirely. They are sort of at your side holding on to the stick (not the blade). At the end of the left turn you sort of guide them around in front of you (they'll be down hill of you), at the end of the right turn they end up above you (uphill).
    I think there's lots of ways to skin a cat here, but this method worked for me and was taught to me by a grandad 20 years ago that had taught a whole gaggle of his kids and grand kids. Thanks papa Wold!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Lucky Bums harness (without the straps) with the handle to pick em up and shake em off was huge.

Also some 160ish twin tips (K2 Public Enemies for me) made movement around carpet laps a LOT easier.

Love the sub-2 stoke. Keep up the good work!

Any updates on Cain? Am sure it's good as is all the West atm...

Right on Skafti... great job starting him early!
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Lucky Bums harness (without the straps) with the handle to pick em up and shake em off was huge.

Also some 160ish twin tips (K2 Public Enemies for me) made movement around carpet laps a LOT easier.

Love the sub-2 stoke. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks for these tips.

I took my almost 3 year old out for the first time yesterday. It went pretty well just holding his hands with him between my legs but I was already musing on what the next steps would be.

In particular I noticed that moving around on my 100mm wide 178s was very awkwardand heavy... I never considered buying a ski just for teaching my son but your comment and my experience on day 1 means I will definitely be adding a ski to the quiver that I wouldn't have thought I would be.

Here's mum taking him for a lap.

https://youtu.be/1o3Nx0lOTAI

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I used a hockey stick with my kid. At first you are totally supporting them, however you can control the amount of support you give them until one day (when they're 3 or 4) the support goes away entirely. They are sort of at your side holding on to the stick (not the blade). At the end of the left turn you sort of guide them around in front of you (they'll be down hill of you), at the end of the right turn they end up above you (uphill).
    I'll have to keep this in mind for future years.

Some pics get me more stoked than others...g search on Cain conditions

Name:	Skier Cain.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	398020

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Right on Skafti... great job starting him early!
    Thanks for these tips.

I took my almost 3 year old out for the first time yesterday. It went pretty well just holding his hands with him between my legs but I was already musing on what the next steps would be.

In particular I noticed that moving around on my 100mm wide 178s was very awkwardand heavy... I never considered buying a ski just for teaching my son but your comment and my experience on day 1 means I will definitely be adding a ski to the quiver that I wouldn't have thought I would be.

Here's mum taking him for a lap.

https://youtu.be/1o3Nx0lOTAI
    Yup. bought em here for >$100 from what I can remember. Sprayed the topsheets with some black textured truck bed stuff to cover the PE graphics and make them more kid-friendly and durable. 997s and I was good to go. Made a huge difference in my back and forth carpet turns. Definitely recommend.

Don't really need them anymore, would pass on for shipping plus beer. Current mount is for around 290bsl. Not sure how many previous mounts. Doesn't really matter.

Can provide pics upon request.

I realize this is a Vancouver thread. I'm in US, zip 01748

FWIW, I found using a hula hoop was really good for saving my back and getting my kid used to standing and sliding on skis.

Thanks for all the hints regarding the backsaving measures, everyone. Will be trying many/all of them at one point or another for sure. I think the Lucky Bums harness is likely the best bet for now as he is not stable on the skis as of yet.

Glad to see you're getting out, Jeremy! Looks like an absolute blast - smiles on both faces are great to see at the bottom of a run!

Santa was good this year.

Name:	IMG_8315.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	783.9 KB 
ID:	398275

I highly recommend this style of sledding - the track spins way faster in the air.

Name:	IMG_2513.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	543.3 KB 
ID:	398277

I just bought some 161cm salomon 1080s locally for $80 with bindings I can just step right into... so if skafti wants those skis from Jay, they are all yours.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I think there's lots of ways to skin a cat here, but this method worked for me and was taught to me by a grandad 20 years ago that had taught a whole gaggle of his kids and grand kids. Thanks papa Wold!
    Funny how there are regional norms with regard to teaching of skiing and teaching aids. The hockey stick thing is a very Terrace phenomena from my experience. I've seen it at Shames several times but never here in the Bulkley Valley.

Sorry for the drift, Van Island is awesome.

And on an Island note, an ex-Bulkley Valley resident has a boutique ski thing going called Poet Skis. Anyone heard of it?