Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Great to see the grom getting after it.

Can't say I have ever seen the hockey stick technique, but sounds brilliant and a good way to cross check out of control snowboarders put the grom in danger.
    Last edited by hutash; 12-30-2021 at 04:34 PM.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Great to see the groom getting after it.

Can't say I have ever seen the hockey stick technique, but sounds brilliant and a good way to cross check out of country snowboarders put the groom in danger.
    You could pull some Tim 'Dr. Hook' McCracken moves and the line would clear out totally for you and the wee one.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    good way to cross check out of country snowboarders put the groom in danger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    You could pull some Tim 'Dr. Hook' McCracken moves and the line would clear out totally for you and the wee one.
    I know, right.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

We've had a range of conditions out here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2328.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	873.9 KB 
ID:	403168

Name:	IMG_2511.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	375.2 KB 
ID:	403169

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	329.1 KB 
ID:	403171

Name:	IMG_0785.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	548.8 KB 
ID:	403170

Name:	IMG_3124.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	981.8 KB 
ID:	403172
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	329.1 KB 
ID:	403171
    This is the new photo that accompanies the "why GfT does not have a snowmobile" entry in Wiki.

Haha, nice to see you getting out buddy!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Winter appears to be doing its best to end early on the island. Kid #2 arrives in less than a week so I will be just trying to get #1 out on the bike and to the resort to give mom some less hectic time with the baby. Kid #1 is ready to shred on the bike and got out for his first singletrack yesterday. I won't be keeping up for long. (cross-posted as I forgot about this thread)

"...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

^^^ awesome!
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

It turned into biking season in Feb/March.

Name:	d1c930fc-58a5-468b-b19f-38f755ac2e0d.jpg 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	412654

Name:	IMG_1035.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	566.8 KB 
ID:	412655

And then out of nowhere the season turned on again in... April?

Name:	IMG_1064.jpg 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	412656

Name:	IMG_1217.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	412657

But my favourite day of the season by far was today.

Name:	IMG_1232.jpg 
Size:	706.4 KB 
ID:	412658

Name:	IMG_1234.jpg 
Size:	585.6 KB 
ID:	412659

Name:	IMG_1238.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	793.8 KB 
ID:	412660

Name:	IMG_1241.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	809.6 KB 
ID:	412661

Omg... I don't even have a sled and he does?

Jealous.

Awesome shots, and congrats on grom two who should have dropped by now. Hope mom and grom are doing well.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Omg... I don't even have a sled and he does?

Jealous.
    Hahahaha! Yeah man!
    Right on Shafty! Braaap!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Haha - thanks guys. As you can see - he's already sponsored

And thanks Dave - you are spot on. Turned out to be boy #2 who arrived in mid-Feb. Definitely the highlight of the season. I'll try not to share too many photos - I'm definitely the dad who would share them all day if people were interested, haha.

Name:	IMG_0645.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	388.2 KB 
ID:	412765

Name:	IMG_1179.jpg 
Size:	610.7 KB 
ID:	412767

Name:	cbc4b7f2-3412-48c0-966d-0299433651c7.jpg 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	412768

congrats man, looks like a great winter.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

April delivered.

Name:	47c80fae-eedc-47a6-a5bb-8824c97077b4.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	415958

Name:	IMG_1339.jpg 
Size:	335.8 KB 
ID:	415959

Name:	IMG_1334.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	680.1 KB 
ID:	415960

Let the season begin!

Name:	IMG_2343.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	658.1 KB 
ID:	436163

Name:	41fffd94-07ac-4119-b261-aeb89c58fd88.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	436164
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JXBVQDbbB0w
    *edited to add - dammit, why won't the video embed?

*** like ***

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk

^^
    Yeah!! Hey Shafty, me, the missus, and dog will be in your hood around valentines day. Maybe we can hook up for some turns? Didn't we have a romantic ski on valentines day in the rockies a few years back...?

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    ^^
    Yeah!! Hey Shafty, me, the missus, and dog will be in your hood around valentines day. Maybe we can hook up for some turns? Didn't we have a romantic ski on valentines day in the rockies a few years back...?
    Every ski with you is romantic, Gary. I'll dm you my new number! No promises on what we'll be able to do with the 2 kids always keeping us on our toes, but would be awesome to get on some snow with ya!

Hey Van Isle dwellers! Me and the missus are pulling into Cain for Friday to Monday (Feb 10 to 13).
    Then going to try and ski up Forbidden Plateau on Feb 15. Beta on this would be appreciated. Planning beers and munchies at my buddy the brewers' place (Ace Brewery) apres ski on the 15th.

Also would like some beta on the requirement for chains going up to Cain. I have a new 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 with new snow tires and studs all round. They can't possibly require that I chain up?? Can they?? I'm happy to wait until plowed as opposed to buying tire chains that I will never use.

edit. Shafty my phone is wrecked these days... texting will be difficult for the foreseeable future. PM prolly better mate.

edit 2. Post 69! winning!
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 02-07-2023 at 04:58 PM.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Jealous, I've been wanting to ski Cain for years. Almost moved up there but got screwed by COvids. Take pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Take pics!
    haha, I hear they take your cell phones away when they give you a lift ticket. You get them back as you leave the parking area at the end of your visit. Weird. Should be fun...

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Just about to head up to Cain and park the rig for 3 nights. Following Cain (and then some family fun) going to skin up forbidden plateau area on Feb 15, then apres ski at Ace brewing if any of you islanders want to meet up.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

One of these days I'm gonna ferry up there with my camper and ski Washington and Cain, and hopefully tour into the park. Bumping this thread has given me fresh eyes and hope... thanks!

Gary, when you mention skinning up Forbidden, do you mean the old ski area in Wood Mtn Ski Park? Or into the bigger stuff to the west?

A few summers ago I hiked from the base of Mt W past lake Helen Mackenzie to the summit of Mount Albert Edward. It is rad as hell up there and would be very cool to ski tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    One of these days I'm gonna ferry up there with my camper and ski Washington and Cain, and hopefully tour into the park. Bumping this thread has given me fresh eyes and hope... thanks!
    You should definitely do this. Washy is worth skiing, and Cain is a gem. If you can swing it, head up on a weekend to get a day or two of the lifts spinning (at Cain), and then spend a few mid-week days and you'll have the place to yourself (human powered).
    And yah, Strathcona Park is pretty unreal. I could spend the rest of my Summers exploring that place and not get bored. Most of the touring in the park requires a fair bit of horizontal before you start up (think about the AE hike you did on skis), but there is some sled access options outside the park (or to the boundary), that I'm admittedly not too familiar with. Special fucking place, I miss it.

Got a question about Mt. Joan. Moved to the island from the Kootenays and I the Beaufort Range is my new backyard. While it looks like Apps is best for skiing, the locked gate Monday to Friday is quite annoying. I can see Mt. Joan from my house and from the peak down to the little lake looks like it would be some decent skiing. I've been to the trailhead on a dog walk but haven't done the climb up there. Is Joan worth the effort to get up there for a ski (considering that it's right behind my house and has no gates so I can get up there on a weekday.

So far I am starting to accept the fact that this place is NOT the Kootenays - to say the least. Need to get myself a dirt bike to get past those pesky gates!