Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The off-the-shelf footbed thread

There's Superfeet and Sole... what else?

I should probably replace my 16-year old custom footbeds, but they don't have that much different of a shape compared to the green Superfeet I have in my touring boots. So I'm thinking of using a less expensive option (DIY heat mold or off the shelf), rather than paying a boot fitter $150-200.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

And Sidas. Forgot about them.

Surfing through REI online, Oboz makes some too. (Hiking boot company.)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Spent some time with a boot fitter a few years ago. We went thru all the off-the-shelf options to start with (they carried all 3 brands at the time) before going custom. For me, the Black Superfeet fit me like they were custom made for my feet. Guess I got really lucky. So, like you, I opted for the less costly choice. My wife’s BFF however, runs a lot and has had foot surgeries, she needs customs...

Check out Tread Labs... good support from a variety of arch heights to match your foot and replaceable top fabric for when they get the funk.

Tons of options out there, and as many feet to fit them. I had custom cork superfeet, but honestly found off the self superfeet to work just as well for me. I have pretty generic feet and minimal fitting issues. A good source of options is a good shoe repair shop, especially one who does custom work with podiatrists. 5here is a guy near me who gave me way more information about foot beds then I will ever remember, but he had some really nice options, a step or two above superset that I was happy with.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

a good thread

I got flat feet that collapse inward so I can barely edge a ski without a foot bed I have several pair of 3/4 length custom @ 300 $ each but the red soles have been doing it for me,

I got some green super feet from somewhere, I think they have less arch than the Sole
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I like the blue ones.

A lot of folks are fine with drop in—working through various brands to match arch height and link is best way. Typically running stores will have way more options.

Ive had good success with conformables (hard to find) and Masterfit drop ins.

i use the discontinued (i think) Chris Davenport-labeled, purple-colored Soles. the one with the 3m insulation on the bottom that looks like diaper material. pretty low-profile/thin. good cost<>performance ratio. drawback: no posting material to stabilize heel.

For off the shelf's I like and use A-line footbeds. Seem a bit firmer and more arch support than many others plus they have a metatarsal bump that really helps my neuroma.

I've just been using the stock foot bed. It seems to work fine, my feet don't move in my boots. One of the reasons that I don't want to use foot beds is that the top of my feet are already taking up all the volume in my boot, to the point where I don't even bother buckling up the bottom buckles. And before you ask, I'm in a high volume boot.

Have people noticed a drop in volume when using an aftermarket foot bed?

My wife has been using A-lines and likes them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I've just been using the stock foot bed. It seems to work fine, my feet don't move in my boots. One of the reasons that I don't want to use foot beds is that the top of my feet are already taking up all the volume in my boot, to the point where I don't even bother buckling up the bottom buckles. And before your ask, I'm in a high volume boot.

skinny ankle/ low volume foot here so i count on needing TO take up space

so I went to the intuition out let with my foot beds,

also been taking my foot beds with me when I buy shoes or boots forever
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-05-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’d love a service where you could send a custom footbed to be replicated rather than having to get 2 pairs made.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I’d love a service where you could send a custom footbed to be replicated rather than having to get 2 pairs made.
    very interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    very interesting....
    X2

I smell a biz opportunity here.

There’s the molding. Weighted unweighted blah blah.
    But then there’s the posting and canting underneath the bed.

Once you have a sweet setup, it would be nice to get a spare.

Would be cool to mail your custom foot beds for a duplication for 25% of the original cost.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    X2

I smell a biz opportunity here.

There’s the molding. Weighted unweighted blah blah.
    But then there’s the posting and canting underneath the bed.

Once you have a sweet setup, it would be nice to get a spare.

Would be cool to mail your custom foot beds for a duplication for 25% of the original cost.
    Yeah my footbed was made about 20 years ago. And it’s great. Mostly I don’t want to go through the trial and error of getting another one with one of the many methods.

It annoys me to keep having to switch it between alpine and touring boots. And no off the shelf does it for me.

I’ve been toying with this idea in my head for a while.

Lidar technology in new iPhones might even prove to be a scan at home tool making the process easier. But I’m getting out of my depth there!

The off-the-shelf footbed thread

For those looking for something outside Superfeet, Sole, Sidas, etc... Vasily Medical builds top notch off the shelf orthotics and most of their offerings can be customized through a very simple heat molding process

I too have a relatively normal foot, and narrow.
    Superfeet work well for me. Match footbed to shell vol and liner
    I use blues in my touring boots (Titans) with powerwraps
    Carbons in my RX130s with pro tongues.
    YMMV

I’ve been using kneed (?) 2fit insoles for a year or so. Switched from sole thin sport as they are lover volume. All I really need from an insole is a firm med height arch so the kneed2fit fits the Bill without being too high volume

Great thread. I use my left over FSA funds to stock up every December. I've been a Sole user for years, but may try a few options.

If you like Sole, REI is having a great price on a few varieties.

https://www.rei.com/product/106599/s...medium-insoles

I have Green Superfeet in my bicycle shoes and then a pair of stock thin shoe insoles over top them.In my ski boots I have a pair of custom molded insoles. I have tried a few different options for street shoes. Had a round of plantar fasciitis again over the summer. I have tried a few different options for various shoes. I picked up a pair of Dr. Scholl's Basic 3/4 length Insoles (Massaging gel with contoured flexible arch support) that I've worn most recently. They were at a discount store and I should have picked up more than the single pair I did get for the price of them. They had full length also (but those were sold out by the time I visited that store). They are thinner than many of the other options I've tried so for some shoes they do not require sizing up or having to substantially loosen the shoe laces and still having the toes being tight. As good as the custom? Probably not but a tenth the price also of the molded custom.

Another vote for A Line, the local bootfitter who's pretty damn good has been using them for years. Says he only makes customs for less than a third of customers now. I got a set from him about ten years ago and going to get another soon.

I've used the red superfeet in my last few ski boots. They are also good for taking up volume which I need. I've also used the green. Both work well enough for me and I get very little foot pain. In the past I've had 3 different custom footbeds and I honestly cannot tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Another vote for A Line, the local bootfitter who's pretty damn good has been using them for years. Says he only makes customs for less than a third of customers now. I got a set from him about ten years ago and going to get another soon.
    $100 though??

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I've just been using the stock foot bed. It seems to work fine, my feet don't move in my boots. One of the reasons that I don't want to use foot beds is that the top of my feet are already taking up all the volume in my boot, to the point where I don't even bother buckling up the bottom buckles. And before you ask, I'm in a high volume boot.

Similar deal here.
    I actually had my freedoms stretched upward in the forefoot, but often just end up removing a buckle on my bigger foot.
    I sometimes cut the front of a footbed off to drop the forefoot. Would love something with beefy heel grip and next to nothing under the ball of foot.