What bindings test the best?

People who've tested a lot of bindings, in your experience what bindings seem to test the best? I remember it being discussed somewhere but I couldn't find it. Maybe in the MYOFS thread?

Side note, people who mount their own skis, do you get the bindings tested?

By best, do you mean most consistently, or the closest to the indicated value on the binding.

Mount my own bindings - get them tested if they're new/new to me. Typically dont outside of that.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    By best, do you mean most consistently, or the closest to the indicated value on the binding.
    Ah, the whole precision vs accuracy. I'd think closest to indicated value would be slightly more important but I'd be curious on both. They both seem pretty important.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tyrolia Attack2s always test out accurately in my experience. I’m told they actually print the DIN scale on the binding after testing them, ensuring good calibration. The previous generation on the other hand, were pretty reliably off on the toe release value.

Pivots get honorable mentions, and anything Marker makes me sad.

Salomon with Driver Toe were always consistent and accurate.

Marker toes were all over the map. Rossignol heel pieces were often inaccurate. Dynafit and other low tech bindings are not reliable on lateral tests. Tyrolia/Head were generally ok. As in most facets of life, you get what you pay for - the more expensive bindings usually required the least adjustment to the visual indicator.

I just had a new pair of STH2-13's tested. Is that still the driver toe. Both toes tested 1 number stiff. Or the machine was out of calibration. How's a jong to know?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I just had a new pair of STH2-13's tested. Is that still the driver toe. Both toes tested 1 number stiff. Or the machine was out of calibration. How's a jong to know?
    Highly unlikely that the machine is out of calibration, but I wouldn’t stress it. It basically doesn’t matter what the DIN indicator on the binding reads, as long as the binding is releasing the boot at the correct amount of torque.

Salomon driver toe was always the most consistent. Even if it was testing high or low, it would always be very close to the same nm on every pull.

Marker was the worst in all respects.

Tyrolia attack toe was usually pretty consistent.

Look toes were pretty consistent. Heels were kinda finicky - other bindings don't have the rotation in the heel, so any energy off of center still translated into a vertical nm into the heel of the binding for one-dimensional heelpieces. Some small adjustments in the leverage arm and making sure the cable attached to the boot evenly usually resulted in a reliable release for the look heel.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Interesting. So all in all, Salomon/Look/Tyrolia seem to do pretty well, and Marker sucks, shocker. Anyone have experience with AT sole compatible bindings? Like Warden, Attack AT, and Griffon/Jester ID (I assume Markers still suck).