Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spur/Ripley - Anyone ridden both?

I'm on a Ripley V4. About 700 miles give or take on the bike. It is a phenomenal bike. As with most 6', I'm in between sizes and on an XL, which is proving to be just fine.

Only complaint is: I never got the shock tuned to my liking. This seems like a pretty common complaint, so I'm headed down the path of a new shock (or sending my shock to avalanche). At my weight (200) the Ripley really lacks mid travel support. I guess my question is - all of my parts would transfer over to a spur just fine. For what I could sell my Ripley frame for, I could probably just spend the money I was going to spend on the shock---and that would pretty much get me to the cost of a Spur.

I've looked at the videos for both online and there is one that compares them, but curious to know if anyone has ridden both in the mag community.

I'm not sure if I'm at all serious about this, just more curious than anything. Ripley is a sweet bike, I don't "lust" anything else. But certainly at this price point I am interested in getting the absolute best option for me.

I haven't ridden the spur, but struggled with the same issue on my V2 ripley. The answer for me was maxing out the tokens and running a couple clicks of LSC. It took me a good year to dial in the rear suspension at 190-195lbs riding weight. I considered getting it revalved and Ibis can offer a suggested Fox tune for heavier ripley riders, but I ended up selling the bike before I went that far. Haven't replaced it yet, but the Spur would be on my shortlist.

Very very curious about this, as it’s down to a spur v ripley v epic evo for my short travel 29. Little fearful the spur being a little too truckasaurus (I think that’s possible on a 120/120) and missing out on the energetic climbing nature of the spur, but maybe the spur is more spritley then initially thought?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Spur/Ripley - Anyone ridden both?

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Very very curious about this, as it’s down to a spur v ripley v epic evo for my short travel 29. Little fearful the spur being a little too truckasaurus (I think that’s possible on a 120/120) and missing out on the energetic climbing nature of the spur, but maybe the spur is more spritley then initially thought?
    Near as I can tell (not having ridden the spur) you’re exactly right. Spur is longer, planted, stiff. Doesn’t sit as high in suspension on climbs and therefore doesn’t feel as spritely on climbs. Dw is really hard to beat for this feeling.

Fwiw I ride everything I am capable of riding on my Ripley. Only one type of trail I can’t do and that’s a jump freeride trail with mandatory type airs and that’s my issue not the bike. So while maybe the spur defends better it certainly is hard to believe it’s any more capable.

Do me it’s just liveliness that the Ripley lacks. Maybe it is worth a new shock and be done!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This is my current bike shopping rabbit hole, just add Revel Ranger to the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFzZO_g7nHk&t=529s

And this dude is a pretty good reviewer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPQxeOeIb5E&t=10s

Pinkbike looked at the Spur, Ranger and Evo, among others.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/welcom...e-edition.html

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    Near as I can tell (not having ridden the spur) you’re exactly right. Spur is longer, planted, stiff. Doesn’t sit as high in suspension on climbs and therefore doesn’t feel as spritely on climbs. Dw is really hard to beat for this feeling.

Fwiw I ride everything I am capable of riding on my Ripley. Only one type of trail I can’t do and that’s a jump freeride trail with mandatory type airs and that’s my issue not the bike. So while maybe the spur defends better it certainly is hard to believe it’s any more capable.

Do me it’s just liveliness that the Ripley lacks. Maybe it is worth a new shock and be done!

From what I read people seem to feel the Manitou Macleod is a great fit for the ripley....
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Currently loving the Spur and demo'd a Ripley for just a couple hours a couple months before pulling the trigger on the Spur. Ripley was good but didn't blow me away. Something that I would change on the Ripley would be the wheel/tire setup. For this bike to have 2.6 tires/35id wheels seems like overkill and maybe a change to a smaller/quicker setup would transform the ride.

I moved from a Ripmo to a Ripley a few weeks ago. The Ripley is built up well (Factory 34, XO1 drivetrain, Nox Carbon/i9's, carbon bars, etc). It's taken me a few rides to really get the feel for the bike. I've ridden it on all of my main rides where I had ridden my Ripmo.

So far I've noticed that i'm FAR less fatigued while climbing, example did a 20 mile/3600ft day on some pretty steep up/down terrain, and felt like I had plenty in the tank for more. The bike is definitely more finicky downhill, I'm having to choose my lines more wisely (as to be expected). I'm not incredibly impressed how it's handling the chunder type stuff while descending fast...the DPS seems a bit underpowered. I just bought a DPX2 and will have it on within the week...I'm looking forward to seeing what that does for the bike.

Fortunately, I still have a 'big bike' in the quiver...and I can't see the Ripley being a one-bike solution for me, but maybe with some adjustments it could be for some depending on terrain/etc.

That being said, I am also very intrigued by the Spur, but can't bring myself to pay such a premium for it right now. I'll likely try and track down a frameset and build it up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5755 3.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	351268
    "I just got back from the Psych ward...OBVIOUSLY i am sane!"

Quote Originally Posted by snowday View Post
    Currently loving the Spur and demo'd a Ripley for just a couple hours a couple months before pulling the trigger on the Spur. Ripley was good but didn't blow me away. Something that I would change on the Ripley would be the wheel/tire setup. For this bike to have 2.6 tires/35id wheels seems like overkill and maybe a change to a smaller/quicker setup would transform the ride.
    I can't speak to the Spur (except to say it looks great), but I found that my Ripley improved with the next size up volume spacer in the shock. I'm 140#, though, so YMMV. I tried taking a spacer out of the fork but went back to the stock 3 spacers. It makes sense to me that a 200# guy would overwhelm the shock, since it seems that it is the weakest link in the chain, especially with the burly stock wheels.

I also changed the stock 35mm IW (ID stands for Inner Diameter, FYI) to 27mm IW carbon wheels (which also saved over a pound compared with the Ibis alloy wheels) and it did in fact transform the bike. It obviously climbs even better now, but I'm also posting faster downhill times on segments I've ridden a lot. I'm not as confident on the mega-chunk, mostly because I'm still afraid of breaking the wheels, but I'm really happy with the change.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by snowday View Post
    Can you speak anymore to the differences between the spur and the Ripley?

Can't speak to the others, but I put a 42.5mm stroke shock on my epic to bring rear travel to 117mm.

It rides like an XC bike should. I never forget it's heritage, but boy is it fun. It's poppy, playful and confident (for what it is).

With that said, I do think it needs to be built up like the XC race bike it is. I think it's a great 50/50 balance of up and down. If someone is looking to build it to 28bs, they should look at the Revel, Spur, etc. Because their affinity is obviously leaning to the down.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Can't speak to the others, but I put a 42.5mm stroke shock on my epic to bring rear travel to 117mm.

It rides like an XC bike should. I never forget it's heritage, but boy is it fun. It's poppy, playful and confident (for what it is).

With that said, I do think it needs to be built up like the XC race bike it is. I think it's a great 50/50 balance of up and down. If someone is looking to build it to 28bs, they should look at the Revel, Spur, etc. Because their affinity is obviously leaning to the down.
    Are you on the epic or epic evo? The just released version of the epic?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    Can you speak anymore to the differences between the spur and the Ripley?

Not much to add because of my limited time on the Ripley other than the DW suspension on the Ripley felt more supportive than the 5010 I had been riding. The Spurs suspension is even more supportive, which is what I was really after for the riding I do. If I went with the Ripley I’m sure after swapping wheels it would have been a great ride.

the mechanic that built this Ranger up described it as a pissed off XC bike, sounds fun

https://www.facebook.com/mike.wieser...24810418272416

Are you on the epic or epic evo? The just released version of the epic?
    2021 Evo
    Bought the Comp, stripped pretty much everything off it.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    2021 Evo
    Bought the Comp, stripped pretty much everything off it.
    Dude. Sex. Weight? I know the frame for the evo when you buy a complete build is like the 11 whereas the frame with frame only is 12. Also stupid expensive frame only...

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

I also changed the stock 35mm IW (ID stands for Inner Diameter, FYI) to 27mm IW carbon wheels (which also saved over a pound compared with the Ibis alloy wheels) and it did in fact transform the bike. It obviously climbs even better now, but I'm also posting faster downhill times on segments I've ridden a lot. I'm not as confident on the mega-chunk, mostly because I'm still afraid of breaking the wheels, but I'm really happy with the change.
    Good to hear, I was going back and forth on Ibis rim widths for my wife's forthcoming Ripley v4. I called Ibis to ask about upgrading the stock S35 alloys and what they thought for S28 vs S35 carbon for a bike that would have 2.3 or 2.4. They stuck to recommending the s35, even though every other wheel manufacturer and their own size guide would point us toward the S28. Happy to know you're seeing a big improvement.

GF’s Ripmo came with the S35s unfortunately. Work ok with a 2.6 but are too wide for a maxxis 2.4. No idea why Ibis pushes these when the industry has figured out that 29 or 30 is the sweet spot for the tires most of us are running.

because 2.6s on 35mm internal IMO is crazy good. Extra weight be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    GF’s Ripmo came with the S35s unfortunately. Work ok with a 2.6 but are too wide for a maxxis 2.4. No idea why Ibis pushes these when the industry has figured out that 29 or 30 is the sweet spot for the tires most of us are running.
    I've used 2.35 Schwalbe's on a 35mm rim for years. Nice round profile, and you get a 2.5" width out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    because 2.6s on 35mm internal IMO is crazy good. Extra weight be damned.
    So Ripleys max clearance is 2.6 and it comes spec’d with 2.35.

Ibis gives the s28 a 2.0-2.6” range and the s35 2.35-2.8” range. Why would their lightest bike still come with the wider/heavier wheel when their own media suggests the thinner would be more appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post

Ibis gives the s28 a 2.0-2.6” range and the s35 2.35-2.8” range. Why would their lightest bike still come with the wider/heavier wheel when their own media suggests the thinner would be more appropriate?

Because they have a shit load to get rid of?

Same reason why they were spec'ing Ripleys with 2.5" Assegai tires F/R last year, I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post

Also because ‘lunch riding’ trail bikes is cool du jour...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I've been on a spur now for 2 months and demo'd a V4 Ripley for a couple days summer before last.

I've been on a Mojo3 since 2017. Mojo3 is a 140/130 bike and is pretty good all round. But it has pretty soft/active suspension that makes it not a great climber for long/steep climbs, and not enough travel to be a great bike bike for fast/chunky descents or doing big rock rolls or jumps. It's fun and playful, and does ok in pretty much all situations but also not outstanding in any situation. My old long travel bike is a 10 yr old Knolly delirium weighing 38-39lbs which I rarely ride anymore because it's such a pig. So I figured a short travel bike like the Ripley would be perfect for about 80% of what I ride, and then maybe pick up a used enduro bike that's in the low 30lb range for shuttling/burly rides that the Ripley wouldn't handle well.

I liked the Ripley when I rode it. It had a much more supportive/solid feeling suspension setup than the Mojo3 and didn't wallow at all on long climbs. Much more efficient, and much faster on climbs and rolling terrain. It didn't feel great on faster, chunky descents but that is to be expected. I rode it on a couple trails with some respectable rock rolls and it felt pretty good aside from buzzing my ass on the tire on steeper rolls (my first time riding a 29er.) I wanted a bike that would be great on long backcountry / xc rides and the Ripley seemed like it would be great for that. Got busy thought and never pulled the trigger.

The spur and the ranger seemed like they would be a perfect fit when they came out, but how to get hold of one? I was finally able to track down a medium spur up in OC and went to check it out thinking I'd at least be able to see if I liked the platform. I usually ride a small frame but the medium spur seemed to fit me great and I loved the feel of the bike in a parking lot test. So I took it home. It seems to do everything the Ripley did well but feels better on descents the faster I go. This bike just wants to go fast. It's been quite a while since I demo'd the Ripley but the Spur seems to climb better than the Ripley too. I find myself charging up climbs that I'd be spinning up on the Mojo3, and it actually wears me out faster. It has a very supportive and firm suspension, almost feels like riding a hardtail until you hit a bump and it soaks it up. It seems to do better at soaking up bumps the faster you go, and it gets up to speed fast and maintains momentum well. Its suspension does seem to get overwhelmed on repeated ledgy drops or square-edged rocks. It feels quite playful but with the longer wheelbase and 29er wheels I'm having to re-learn how to ride sharp switchbacks. Pedal strikes are the other big issue. I thought I had a lot of those on the Mojo3. It's worse on the Spur. It did come with 175mm cranks so I'm considering a swap to 170 or even 165's. As it is I wouldn't want to run carbon cranks, I don't think they'd survive long. My other big complaint is the paint. The bike is beautiful, but the paint chips super easy. I'll add more later if I can think of anything else, but for now I'm very happy with the bike.