Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Have you tried Lapsang souchong?

BTW that tea company I listed has black/green/etc. teas too.
    It has been ordered. We will see if I drink it, cook with it, both, or chuck it out.

20 yrs ago I found some tea in the chinese food products section of the super store, it said something about natural on the label which was in engrish but nothing else was really very clear, so it appears to just be a herabl tea so I have a cup that night and it was really good

the next morning I wake up with mild diarrhea which I thot was just some random thing

have another cup that night wake the next morning again with diarrhea

Now I get suspicious and read the label, the ingredient is malva verticillata

but nothing on the box about it being a colon cleanser
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Can't stand Earl Gray. Fucking hate it. It's not that I haven't had a "good one". It's that I hate the whole premise. After I try some Assam from Upton's, I'm probably going to try some Ceylon from there next.
    Their Ceylon/Sri Lankan varies a lot. Can't remember the name of my favorite - they haven had it in a while.

Earl Grey is right out, bergamot or lavender. As is Lapsang Souchang. I sent back my favorite Puerh when it showed up with an unmistakable hint of smoky tar/creosote.

I can’t remember who recommended Gong Fu Tea, but I order from them when my regular source doesn’t have what I am looking for. I really enjoy their chamomile blend.

I order from TeaSpring.com quite often for black teas. I really like their Bi Luo Chun Hung Ha, a spiral rolled Yunnan tea. I drink a lot of Yunnan Gold, that I order from there.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    I can’t remember who recommended Gong Fu Tea, but I order from them when my regular source doesn’t have what I am looking for. I really enjoy their chamomile blend.

I order from TeaSpring.com quite often for black teas. I really like their Bi Luo Chun Hung Ha, a spiral rolled Yunnan tea. I drink a lot of Yunnan Gold, that I order from there.
    That was me upthread, back in 2020; great shop. I need to open the wallet and buy some more stuff from them

BTW that tea company I listed has black/green/etc. teas too.
    Tea arrived today. Haven't tried it yet. Without opening it, I can smell burnt goat piss. So it's got that going for it.

Upton's package arrived with Season's Pick Kopili Estate TGFOP1(OR-1) Assam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231025_173024686.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	474057

That's a 4.5 minute steep. Oops. 1 tsp of tea leaves. I forgot to weigh it. Great aroma. Nice flavor. I'm probably going to add more leaves and steep for shorter next time. Good tea. Definitely has caffeine. I can't afford for it to be my daily drinker, but it seems like a good morning brew.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Tea drinkers among us

Whereís a good place to buy loose leaf tea? I bought some peppermint off of Amazon and it was an obnoxious amount and not very good. Not looking for anything fancy or break the bank, peppermint, hibiscus, ginger/tumeric, maybe 1 other herbal. Want it to be organic. I saw teaspring.com was mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong with the convenience of buying it in the bag? Or am I not enough of a tea aficianado to understand?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What's wrong with the convenience of buying it in the bag? Or am I not enough of a tea aficianado to understand?
    Generally speaking the stuff in the bags is not as good a quality as is available loose.

And if it is... it's far more expensive.

An old friend of mine in London was in the tea trade business back when the world tea market and auctions ran through there.

He used to describe that the stuff that got swept up off the floor when the auctions finished was sent to the U.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I'm hard pressed to tell the difference but we're generally an unsophisticted lot and tea is no exception I suppose. After all, if one had it good in England back in the day there really was no need to come to America with the unwashed masses on a sailboat.
    A more modern day example might be Harry and Meg.

I've always wondered why my bought in America Twinnings Breakfast tea had a hint of the St. Katherine Docks.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Whereís a good place to buy loose leaf tea? I bought some peppermint off of Amazon and it was an obnoxious amount and not very good. Not looking for anything fancy or break the bank, peppermint, hibiscus, ginger/tumeric, maybe 1 other herbal. Want it to be organic. I saw teaspring.com was mentioned

What brand did you buy?

Iíve bought bags of loose leaf herbal from Gong Fu and from Davidsons off of Amazon. Gong fu has been higher quality but Davidsons has been fine and great value for the price while being Organic.

I havenít looked much beyond that as we donít drink a ton of herbal besides Sleepytime. But my sense is that the general online Tea stores overprice a lot of herbal/ herbal blends in 1-4oz bags.

What's the general consensus on Bigelow brand?

I know Joe Torre likes it and I switch back and forth between Twinnings and that depending what's on sale at Stop and Shop.

Not a fan. Definitely burnt goat piss. Thing #2 says he likes it and drinks it often. I think he's just into the shock value and being contrary. It runs in the family, hard. He's my dad returned to Earth in a new body.

Iíve seen studies where they show how much plastics, adhesives and all that is released from a tea bag. Iím guessing those studies were done on plastic tea bags which I rarely see, but if Iím going to be drinking something 3x a day, Iíd rather be on the safe side

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    What brand did you buy?

Iíve bought bags of loose leaf herbal from Gong Fu and from Davidsons off of Amazon. Gong fu has been higher quality but Davidsons has been fine and great value for the price while being Organic.

I havenít looked much beyond that as we donít drink a ton of herbal besides Sleepytime. But my sense is that the general online Tea stores overprice a lot of herbal/ herbal blends in 1-4oz bags.
    Anthonys organic peppermint is what I bought. Iíll take a look at those other 2 brands. Thanks

What's the general consensus on Bigelow brand?

I know Joe Torre likes it and I switch back and forth between Twinnings and that depending what's on sale at Stop and Shop.
    Twinings is a step above Bigelow, but both would be swirling around the low-brow level of quality in the broader tea world.

Ol Joe shilling "Green Tea for Men" - what's not to love.

Name:	JT_StreetMockup.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	827.3 KB 
ID:	478516

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Twinings is a step above Bigelow
    Unfortunately Twinings is just a supermarket brand in the states.

The original Twinings store dating back to 1706 and the tea sold there is leagues better than Bigelow.

(My office in London was a block away)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Name:	IMG_4095.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	592.5 KB 
ID:	478518
    Lately, been drinking this. Really nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4094.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	764.2 KB 
ID:	478517  
    ďHow does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I donít know, go ask Rory GallagherĒ. ó Jimi Hendrix

My new goto is mint tea with hot Honey, its a great combo.
    Currently brewing Numi Morrocan Mint tea and adding Mikes Hot Honey.
    no affiliation to either, its just what I like.
    Good flavor and seems good for my gut, etc.

Tried Green teas but they all taste like cut grass.
    Last edited by Woodsy; 01-09-2024 at 01:19 PM.

Ha, I'm a decaf green and honey guy...I think I'll have one right now!

Not a big tea guy myself, but will say this is phenomenal

Name:	Image1704763083.341427.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	482187

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Upton's package arrived with Season's Pick Kopili Estate TGFOP1(OR-1) Assam.

Name:	IMG_20231025_173024686.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	474057

That's a 4.5 minute steep. Oops. 1 tsp of tea leaves. I forgot to weigh it. Great aroma. Nice flavor. I'm probably going to add more leaves and steep for shorter next time. Good tea. Definitely has caffeine. I can't afford for it to be my daily drinker, but it seems like a good morning brew.
    I have tried a few different Assam teas since this post.
    None have been as good as the one pictured above. It's the bomb. Definitely like a TGFOP1 over a TGFOP.

What Assams failed to match up?