Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tea drinkers among us

In the morning and maybe at lunch I love a good cup of coffee. In the afternoon I love a good cup of tea. My favorite is Darjeeling but I also like a good mile high chai or A cup of jasmine. No sugar please.
    He is also great on a cold day when hitting the trail. Any other teetotalers out there
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Absolutely. I keep it simple with just some Twinnings. Two cups in the morning. A chai in the late evening.
    swing your fucking sword.

if i'm drinking true tea it's almost always a semi-oxidized oolong - something like ti kuan ying or jin xuan (the classic milk oolong). i also like young (first flush) darjeelings, and of course, jasmine - though lately i just drink a lot of gesha coffee (scratches the same itch).

for non-caffeinated, herbal tea, we harvest currant leaves during the entire summer and then live on a blend of currant, raspberry leaf, and mint year around. we have a dedicated french press for evening tea, and we drink a liter or two every night.

Some green tea once in awhile. I still kind of think it tastes like shit, but apparently it's good for you, and I've gotten accustomed to that particular shitty taste. Hmm, good metaphor for a lot of things in life.

I love tea, my go to favorite is Twinings Irish Breakfast. But I don't drink black tea very often.

I drink a shitton of herbal tea, though. 1-2 mugs every day.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Love the smell of coffee but can't get past the taste. So only tea foe me.

Favorite is Celestial Seasoning Morning Thunder. Has a more earthy taste to it (the mate`?). Otherwise just Irish or English blacks. I should branch out more.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Coffee on the weekdays, tea on the weekends.
    mellower...

& jeebus tgapp. You sound like the guy from Oceans 13, "tea please, but pour it JUST before it boils. Dont want to scald the leaves..." where do you find that fancy stuff there in Zion?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Coffee on the weekdays, tea on the weekends.
    mellower...

& jeebus tgapp. You sound like the guy from Oceans 13, "tea please, but pour it JUST before it boils. Dont want to scald the leaves..." where do you find that fancy stuff there in Zion?
    tea grotto is great. it's owned by a climber/backcountry skier/standup member of the community, and they have an awesome selection. they're super helpful at giving good reccs too. also teazaanti in town is awesome too, and you can get great cheap green tea from the chinese markets.

i'm not super fancy - i have a fuckton of bagged tea too, i stuff it in all of my alpine climbing packs so i am never not without tea. but at home, all else being equal, looseleaf tea is a great value. you can brew it multiple times, you don't need fancy equipment (literally, a $10 french press that is dedicated for tea). we get both our raspberry and our mint from amazon, and they're like $16/pound - probably 10x as cost effective as bagged tea, and it definitely tastes better.

for bagged tea it's trader joe's well rested and trader joe's mint when we're too lazy to be bothered with the french press.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I drink a thermos of tea when I tour
    Usually a blueberry zinger and a green mix
    A nun tablet, a sweet n low
    Thc infused honey when I gots it
    Local honey when I dont
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I became a tea convert several months back. Was drinking a pot of strong coffee per day and finally got to my stomach. I’ve since relented and had a cup of coffee a couple of times and no problems but I’m still enjoying the tea. One of the nice fringe benefits is it doesn’t rank your travel mug like coffee does. I enjoy straight basic green, and well as all varieties of chai. Green black etc etc. also some matcha and other random things. I’m sure loose leaf is cheaper but compared to what I was spending on coffee not too worried about it. Would be nice to try some new varieties though so I’ve been planning on checking out the local loose leaf purveyors. I have peppermint growing in my garden I use frequently, but never knew to try currant leaves. I have a bush of that as well. Been meaning to plant raspberries. I have a French press but maybe it’s coffee stanked up? Could get a new one.

ETA I like jasmine rice, but didn’t care for jasmine tea at all. Also did not like earl grey at all.

Oolong every night for me, it's become a ritual.
    Green tea with honey in the thermos for touring.
    Mint herbal "tea" here and there, we make it at home, it's the only way we can keep the yard from being completely taken over by the plant.

+1 on Tea Grotto in SLC if you're willing to get into the tea game. The owner is a good buddy of mine, he knows his shit. Ms Boissal gets a lot of tea there to make kombucha, I always swindle some away to taste before it gets fermented. There's a whole world of flavor out there.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

start every day w/ tea
    never clicked w/ coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Favorite is Celestial Seasoning Morning Thunder. Has a more earthy taste to it (the mate`?).
    I love that stuff, though I have to watch the mate intake, too harsh on my gut.

I found out several years ago that I'm allergic to coffee. Not caffeine but the actual coffee bean. So that love affair ended after 20 years or so of drinking at least a press a day. I miss the smell but not the anxiety or gut rot. And I definitely sleep better at night sans coffee. I like that I still have a ritual with tea as I did my coffee.

Other teas I like are Stash's Double Bergamot Earl Grey & their Green Chai, Republic of Tea's Double Green Matcha, & any rooibos. I'm also digging Celestial's Cinnamon Express during the holidays, and Sleepytime or Yogi's Goodnight for an evening cup. All lightly sweetened with agave & also use a milk & frother to fancy them up.

My favorite tea in the world was Goodearth's Green Tea with Lemongrass. They discontinued it for some reason about 10 years ago. People were so distressed, they even started a FB page about it. I found a few packets at the bottom of my camping/kitchen kit this summer. Brewed a cup and it was amazing. I'm really appreciating the tea nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    something like ti kuan ying or jin xuan (the classic milk oolong).
    Yes guy, these are staples in my kitchen! I'll also enjoy some of the fruity blends but I assume serious tea fans might mock those.

I go through phases with tea. Don't drink much in the summer (maybe after a fatty meal), but tons in the winter. As sfb says it's great with wintery outdoor pursuits as well. On cold days on the fatbike it's a life saver when you get back to the trail head, load up your bike and you start freezing from all that built up sweat and your car takes awhile to heat up.

I've been a coffee drinker my entire adult life, but in the past few years I kind of broke the ritual of starting every day with coffee, I'd say I'm at about 50/50 now. In the winter though I have a hard time not starting the day with a warm drink, and I've started to really enjoy tea on the mornings I don't have coffee.

It used to only be a thing when I was sick, but I really enjoy a mug of herbal tea with a little honey before bed too.

Morning coffee is a mug holding 6shot espresso from the moka pot. After lunch at the office, probably two 16oz cups of loose green tea (Chado).
    Cold weather field work and touring, a packet of twinnings green tea with honey in the thermos. Not a fan of any fermented teas, but then I don't usually drink coffee or tea with milk/cream.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    tea grotto is great. it's owned by a climber/backcountry skier/standup member of the community, and they have an awesome selection. they're super helpful at giving good reccs too. also teazaanti in town is awesome too, and you can get great cheap green tea from the chinese markets.

i'm not super fancy - i have a fuckton of bagged tea too, i stuff it in all of my alpine climbing packs so i am never not without tea. but at home, all else being equal, looseleaf tea is a great value. you can brew it multiple times, you don't need fancy equipment (literally, a $10 french press that is dedicated for tea). we get both our raspberry and our mint from amazon, and they're like $16/pound - probably 10x as cost effective as bagged tea, and it definitely tastes better.

for bagged tea it's trader joe's well rested and trader joe's mint when we're too lazy to be bothered with the french press.
    Right on, on all levels.
    Had no idea

Big fan of Dandelion or Ginger mixed with an herbal at night. I have tried the breakfast or Earl Grey stuff, trying to break the coffee habit a bit, but it tears up my stomach. I will keep trying. Coffee is getting me too amped lately, and nobody needs that.

I spend as much time and money on tea as I do on alcohol. If I had no other choice, I'd drink used tea made from moldy used dregs out of the compost bucket. Love a good breakfast tea (Assam or Sri Lankan) first thing, throw a Pu'er in occasionally. Green or first flush Darjeeling mid-day. No tisanes allowed.

tea me up. I've become a multiple tea a day drinker in the past several yrs

am thunder
    then mint or green during the day (or a mix) got hooked on mint tea in morocco (also probably bc you can't drink alcohol there [easily] so I needed a replacement)
    then chamomile, sleepytime or frequently we make 2 different kinds and mix in the early seep stages
    Touring- any tea with lots of honey for morale

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I found out several years ago that I'm allergic to coffee. Not caffeine but the actual coffee bean. So that love affair ended after 20 years or so of drinking at least a press a day.
    samesies. just figured this out a few months ago and switched it up to Morning Thunder (with honey) which has worked pretty well for me too
    skid luxury

Straight green tea with a dash of maple syrup and milk is my standard. I also enjoy stash double bergamot earl grey, twinnings irish breakfast, stash green chai, and pure chopped ginger steeped with a lemon slice again all with a dash of maple syrup and milk.

I mostly drink tea. My favorite black tea is Yunnan Gold. There’s an unusual rolled black tea, Bi Lou Chun Hong Cha, which is a rolled Yunnan that is quite nice. It’s the only rolled black tea that I know of. Also big fan of a good Breakfast tea and Oolong.

I used to order teas from Adagio Teas, but I have had good luck ordering from TeaSpring.com. I like to order their teas to try different varieties. It just takes a little longer. I was searching today for some teas to give as gifts.

Tea drinkers among us

Like jax, double bergamot is my typical
    End of day is lemon/ginger

Loose leaf is a luxury for a dinner out to go with an after-dinner single malt

Black tea every morning. I drink Thompson's these days. However I also like the Canadian Tetley (Orange Pekoe). It far better than the tetley in US stores. The border closing put a stop to that. I quit coffee in 2007 from a 2-3 pot a day habit. I have the occasional cup now but it's not a habit.

ok don't hate me, but how about a london fog?

i fucking love me a good london fog.

does that count as tea?