Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thule Box

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Here's how mine sits. Fully open hatch *just* touches the box.

Nice. Thanks for the image that's helpful. How do you like the Alpine? I like the low profile but I'd also like to use the box for other stuff than skis. How useable for luggage, soft sided coolers, tents, etc would you say the Alpine is?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Nice. Thanks for the image that's helpful. How do you like the Alpine? I like the low profile but I'd also like to use the box for other stuff than skis. How useable for luggage, soft sided coolers, tents, etc would you say the Alpine is?
    Do you want to be futzing with your skis in the cold trying to get everything to fit? Does the idea of repeatedly moving things around to get the lid to close and lock appeal to you? If so go with the 175cm box for 181cm skis.

I haven't had it for very long, so somewhat tbd. It's not huge in there - it'd easily fit a tent, daypack sized packs, and other moderately small stuff like that. Bigger backpacking packs might fit, but it'd be snug. I'd also be nervous about putting too much weight out in the unsupported front of the box. But for skis, which is mostly what I anticipate using it for, it's been great so far. It's also super quick and easy to detach, which is nice since I'll probably mostly keep it off the car in the summer (the noise and mileage drop aren't horrendous, but they're definitely noticeable).

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Do you want to be futzing with your skis in the cold trying to get everything to fit? Does the idea of repeatedly moving things around to get the lid to close and lock appeal to you? If so go with the 175cm box for 181cm skis.
    Yeah, I've resigned myself to the XL size box. Now it's just down to which one. Shiny exterior that matches the black car or matte finish one that's slightly cheaper and can hold many, many stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I haven't had it for very long, so somewhat tbd. It's not huge in there - it'd easily fit a tent, daypack sized packs, and other moderately small stuff like that. Bigger backpacking packs might fit, but it'd be snug. I'd also be nervous about putting too much weight out in the unsupported front of the box. But for skis, which is mostly what I anticipate using it for, it's been great so far. It's also super quick and easy to detach, which is nice since I'll probably mostly keep it off the car in the summer (the noise and mileage drop aren't horrendous, but they're definitely noticeable).
    Sweet, thanks again. I'll be in the same boat - taking it off when not in use. I'll also be using it for beach shit and camping gear more than skis so I think despite the more attractive Alpine box I'll have to stick with the regular ones.

And who says go to customer service so long as this place exists? In 2 short pages I've got first hand beta from a mag with my same car.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    The real question is how many stickers can you fit on it.
    Yup.

Yep Thule pulse alpine on Alltrack. 200 cm no problem and hatch opens fine

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

here’s my two cents. Go cheap. Sportrack instead of Thule or Yakima. My old 195s fit in it no problem
    https://www.target.com/p/sportrack-11-cu-ft-sportrack-horizon-roof-mount-cargo-box/-/A-78443605

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CE66DA6D-C749-455D-BC84-9F9AC483654D.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	392.6 KB 
ID:	351061

I have a cheap Sears brand box. The latch and lock seem to work great.

But go big. My box will BARELY fit my 190s, and that’s if they are positioned perfectly at an angle. It blows. Go big.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Thule Box

Audi Allroad which is still used as the model car on Thule's website so it looks like its going to let the hatch open.
    Been running the Thule Motion XT XL on my 2017 Allroad for 3 years. Only leaves a half inch of clearance between the rear hatch when up, but the thing holds a fuckton of skis. 192 Protests fit with room to spare, then you can pack another 7 pairs of skis in around them. No complaints.

Name:	Image1607063048.564377.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	351077
    Last edited by bourbonisgood; 12-04-2020 at 01:10 AM.

^^^
    That settles it. Motion XT XL. Looks tight. Thanks fellas.

Pulled the trigger this morning. Thanks for the help boys. Very happy.

Name:	D6765951-2201-42DF-AE87-066FEF7136E8.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	920.8 KB 
ID:	351369

Badass

I gotta get mine up there.

Any wind noise? I had to put a fairing up front to stop that, box or no box.

Pulled the trigger this morning. Thanks for the help boys. Very happy.

Name:	D6765951-2201-42DF-AE87-066FEF7136E8.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	920.8 KB 
ID:	351369
    Looks badass! What bars are you using? I may need an upgrade from the stock bars

Looks slick bmills.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, that's a nice setup.

Must feel good knowing you can fit all your friends’ big sticks in your box

You are breaking a rule, though. The stuff you carry on top of your car should be worth more than the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    here’s my two cents. Go cheap. Sportrack instead of Thule or Yakima. My old 195s fit in it no problem
    https://www.target.com/p/sportrack-11-cu-ft-sportrack-horizon-roof-mount-cargo-box/-/A-78443605

Name:	CE66DA6D-C749-455D-BC84-9F9AC483654D.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	392.6 KB 
ID:	351061
    That's a solid deal/box. It looks like an exact copy of the old thule cascade box which was excellent. Did a little digging and SportRack and Thule USA share the same address...

Quote Originally Posted by DeathRaven View Post
    That's a solid deal/box. It looks like an exact copy of the old thule cascade box which was excellent. Did a little digging and SportRack and Thule USA share the same address...
    Yes, same company. There is nothing wrong with it at all- just a solid no frills box. They have a larger volume version as well (little more money I think) but it’s wider and shorter. This one would hold my longer skis and is narrow enough to squeeze my kayak rack on next to it so it was perfect for me.

Honest question: how does the added wind noise of having a box on the roof not drive you all to the brink of insanity within about 20 minutes of getting on the road? Aftermarket soundproofing? Are you all deaf? I always hated attaching anything to the outside of my car because of all the additional noise is creates.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Honest question: how does the added wind noise of having a box on the roof not drive you all to the brink of insanity within about 20 minutes of getting on the road? Aftermarket soundproofing? Are you all deaf?
    They all own Subaru’s and can’t even hear the box because of all the non-framed window noise?

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    They all own Subaru’s and can’t even hear the box because of all the non-framed window noise?

Subies haven't had frameless windows in over a decade, but that's a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Honest question: how does the added wind noise of having a box on the roof not drive you all to the brink of insanity within about 20 minutes of getting on the road? Aftermarket soundproofing? Are you all deaf? I always hated attaching anything to the outside of my car because of all the additional noise is creates.
    I drive a 15 year old 4runner with 240k miles and offroad tires, can't even hear the additional box noise. In my parent's audi, yeah its kinda annoying. Turn the radio up.

I never noticed it in my old montero or powerstroke. Didn't really notice it in my wife's newer Rav4 either but got rid of my ancient box because it was rattly and annoyed the shit out of her.