Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thule Box

Thule Box

No, I'm not going to tech talk cause I don't need to debate the merits of one latch system over another. Quick questions:

Who's got a Thule Motion XT box in L? Spec sheet says it fits 175cm skis, I need 181. Without any way to bring my skis in to a shop to see if I can jam em in one I'd ask you fine people. Does Thule measure ski fit as if they were laying perfectly flat and side by side or can I wedge em in on an angle from lower corner to upper corner and get away with it?

Thanks in advance.

Also, where's the best place to buy these things anymore? REI is close and therefore no shipping but they also seem to be about $100+ over online retailers.
    I still call it The Jake.

The only way to be sure is find a shop with the box on the floor, bring skis in, and try. Or, measure skis and go to shop and measure box.
    Besides, get serious, someday somebody is going to dump a pair of Llasa Pow, 191, in your lap for a good price. Be prepared for that. Go big.

Also, don't know what you're driving, but, make sure the box attached to your bars allows the hatch to open fully. You have bars, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The only way to be sure is find a shop with the box on the floor, bring skis in, and try. Or, measure skis and go to shop and measure box.
    Besides, get serious, someday somebody is going to dump a pair of Llasa Pow, 191, in your lap for a good price. Be prepared for that. Go big.

Also, don't know what you're driving, but, make sure the box attached to your bars allows the hatch to open fully. You have bars, right?
    You've got a point Benny, I may as well have to go bigger anyway. Had Thule Aerobars for a while, just finally need to ditch all the attachments and get the box.

Audi Allroad which is still used as the model car on Thule's website so it looks like its going to let the hatch open.

2nd on go big. I have a 100 year old box that works great, but there’s really no benefit to having a small box, (except if you are putting bikes up there too, and that’s a width issue). Get the biggest you can afford.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

I don't say it often, but Benny is right.

Also, I'm not sure if this is something you can even buy new anymore, but if you can find a box that you can open/close without having the key in the lock, its much more convenient IMO. all the newer boxes I've seen haven't functioned this way though.

fwiw, REI gives a rebate on things, so that $100 more isn't the net.
    I have an older Yakima box on my thule bars that holds 205 cm skis.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Thule Box

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    fwiw, REI gives a rebate on things, so that $100 more isn't the net.
    I have an older Yakima box on my thule bars that holds 205 cm skis.
    Mine’s bigger.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Just snowboard instead. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Mine’s bigger.
    Than your wife's? NTTAWWT.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Why don’t you pick up the phone and call Thule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I don’t speak Swedish and the good guy down at REI was less than helpful when he said “about how long is 181cm?”

They have a US customer service department.

But sure ask a bunch of dentists on the Internet - that’s a better idea anyway..

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    They have a US customer service department.

But sure ask a bunch of dentists on the Internet - that’s a better idea anyway..

This place is stop #2 for advice on all things.

There’s a bunch of upsides to a small box. 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

got internal dims? I got older box on my kids car (WRX) and it fits up to 190 diagonal. Takes some finessing but jammed quite a few sticks in there over the years

I don't think it will fit. And if it does the hinges on the front and back will always be in the way.

I have a Thule Atlantis that has a rounded front and back, so going diagonal isn't an option.

It's surprisingly hard to find a box that will fit 180x without it being really long (like 210). Mine is going on a Golf Wagon so I need a shorter one so it doesn't interfere with the hatch.
    s

The Yamika Skybox 16 is supposed to fit 185's, but that' the only medium option that comes to mind.
    Last edited by The Tortoise; 12-03-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I don't say it often, but Benny is right.
    Wow! This might be the first time I ever saw this type of remark regarding everyone's favorite TGR curmudgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I don’t speak Swedish and the good guy down at REI was less than helpful when he said “about how long is 181cm?”
    Please tell me you said "it's between 180 and 182 cm long"

Deduct at least 2 inches from any number provide by the supplier/vendor if you need to load more than one pair of skis.

Oh, and just get a trailer cuz eventually you'll need it.

Audi Allroad which is still used as the model car on Thule's website so it looks like its going to let the hatch open.
    I've got a Thule Pulse Alpine on my '17 Allroad. Hatch opens all the way, although I had to scootch the cross rails a bit forward to get it to work. That box is advertised as fitting 210cm skis. Haven't tried that length, but 190's fit with plenty of room to spare.

The real question is how many stickers can you fit on it.

FWIW, I have an old Yakima Skybox...had trouble fitting multiple pairs of 190+ skis in it diagonally. I took it apart this fall and removed the internal raise/lower mechanism so the inside is totally empty. I find that without these skis fit inside a whole lot easier and will almost lay totally flat. I cut a piece of ABS pipe and rest that agains the latches to hold it open when loading and unloading. Probably not what you want to do to a brand new roof box but it added space and works well for me.

best part, no stickers were harmed in this process.

Go long. Are you worried about overhang?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I don't think it will fit. And if it does the hinges on the front and back will always be in the way.

I have a Thule Atlantis that has a rounded front and back, so going diagonal isn't an option.

It's surprisingly hard to find a box that will fit 180x without it being really long (like 210). Mine is going on a Golf Wagon so I need a shorter one so it doesn't interfere with the hatch.
    s

The Yamika Skybox 16 is supposed to fit 185's, but that' the only medium option that comes to mind.
    Yeah, this is my thinking too,

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Please tell me you said "it's between 180 and 182 cm long"
    I was in the process of making a reference to Mr Mom's "220, 221, whatever it takes" when he cut me off to say, "you know what I mean, like longer than six feet or less?"

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I've got a Thule Pulse Alpine on my '17 Allroad. Hatch opens all the way, although I had to scootch the cross rails a bit forward to get it to work. That box is advertised as fitting 210cm skis. Haven't tried that length, but 190's fit with plenty of room to spare.
    Thanks, that's helpful. What I'm worried about is how far ahead I'd have to scoot the XL sized box. I'd prefer to not have the bulk of it hanging over the windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    The real question is how many stickers can you fit on it.
    Just one: COEXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    Go long. Are you worried about overhang?
    Yeah, rear for the hatch and front as I mentioned above to allow access to the hatch.

Thanks, that's helpful. What I'm worried about is how far ahead I'd have to scoot the XL sized box. I'd prefer to not have the bulk of it hanging over the windshield.
    Here's how mine sits. Fully open hatch *just* touches the box.