Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wtb small camera for ski touring?

I have no clue about cameras. So the second hand market is off limits.
    I do have a budget (500+/-)

I wont use any video function.

Most use will be landscape & family things

The latest iphone is not an option.

I red about rx100m??? but which model is the right one?
    Also clicked on a review for a panasonic tz202

I am jonging here so bad..... what would you buy? sturdy/ for the backpack / point and shoot
    noob on the controls
    LIVE IS NOT A CHAIRLIFT

RX 100 series is the benchmark for simple, functional, durable with excellent IQ for it's package. I think they tend to have a slight price premium compared to Canon/Panasonic offerings, but they're all very very similar in performance, especially for casual use.

For simple use, the I-II series are fine and can be had for cheaper, but may be pretty long in the tooth at this point. Ideally a III-VA series can be had for decent money; the lens is great and will be plenty capable for general landscapes and family/portrait life pics. VI and VII are not worth the $$$ for your use - they're mostly for wannabee vloggers and vapid consumers.

Essentially:

RX100 I and II series are slowest lens (worse for lower light) but slightly longer telephoto ("zoom") reach (24-100mm) than III-V. Best battery life but no viewfinder, only screen.
    RX100 III, IV, V and VA have faster image processor and much faster lens, but slightly less telephoto reach (24-70mm) then I/II. Includes viewfinder (small) with screen and built in wifi
    RX100 VI and VII switched to a lens with large range (24-200mm) but slower speed. It became more video capable

The competitors in this same space are:
    Canon G5 X and XII ($300-600 used)
    G7X and X M2 ($300-500 used)
    Panasonic ZS or TZ100/200 series.

Like the RX100 VI and VII, i would skip the Pana tz200 and look at the tz100. Skip the G5x MIII and G7x MIII for the MII or X models.

thanks, this sorts out some questions. now i am in the picture.
    LIVE IS NOT A CHAIRLIFT

https://www.reddit.com/r/ULgeartrade...0_v_104oz_550/

I see the mark v going for around 500 used.

My $.02, think about getting a rangefinder one, because sun washes out the screen a lot of the time. IME, YMMV.

The rx100 v has a retractable evf.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyb...ility-headline

i googled rangefinder and found a distance measuring device... is that what you meant?

edit ok i now get what is what.... buhh... not getting easier, but thanks for your input. i want to make the right choice.
    LIVE IS NOT A CHAIRLIFT

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    i googled rangefinder and found a distance measuring device... is that what you meant?

edit ok i now get what is what.... buhh... not getting easier, but thanks for your input. i want to make the right choice.
    He meant viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    He meant viewfinder.
    Oops, duh, sorry. ^He meant what I knew.

I’m not up on the current products, I just thought I’d throw that out. Lots of times it’s been hard for me to frame a shot well in the sun with only a screen.

There's the Leica Rangefinder but its a bit out of your price bracket
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    There's the Leica Rangefinder but its a bit out of your price bracket
    Shit, if Photo/Video had the hot air of Tech Talk, Meadow's jargon could have some dentist with a camera quiver recommending a Mamiya 7 to the OP in no time!

i would have given up, if people would start recommending boutique cameras which are not available in europe.
    but still the mamiya 7 looks nice.
    LIVE IS NOT A CHAIRLIFT

Okay, in keeping with my viewfinder recco, I’ll sat that the Canon Powershot Gxx series has some very capable units. I’ve got an old G9 Powershot, not with an X, that I like for touring photos when the smartphone won’t do. They’re pretty pocketable. You can find them under $500 easily.

I’ve dropped/smacked/crushed it one too many times and now it’s not working that hot.
    But I got a lot of mileage and clicks out of a super basic canon powershot.
    I think I paid $250 or so new many years ago. Put about 20,000 clicks on it.
    14x optical zoom, 54x digital zoom. Could get a clear pic of a hiker or a goat on a ridge from a mile. Fast enough to catch bird flying.

I have a nicer dslr, but for a packable (read: tumbling down steep icy coolies hitting trees or endos off the bike) I prefer to have something a little more disposable. Then again I’m a quiver fan of most things in life.

ETA skipper beats me by a minute
    ETA I see replacement cost for sx210is is like $400 now
    ETA but wow I see used offerings on amazon for $44. Crazy wonder if those are any good.

i googled canon powershot

i came across https://www.canon.at/cameras/canon-powershot-zoom/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.53.51.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	621.9 KB 
ID:	351245

it is not what i want but interessting.

i used to own a nikon w300
    as i am(used to be) a careless person
    and it was great skiing with the camera just in my pocket... no worries at all
    but of course it gave up... and stills became blurry
    LIVE IS NOT A CHAIRLIFT

Google "Canon Elph" - those are the small pocketable Powershot cameras you want. Cheap, durable.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

i googled canon powershot

i came across https://www.canon.at/cameras/canon-powershot-zoom/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 10.53.51.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	621.9 KB 
ID:	351245

it is not what i want but interessting.

i used to own a nikon w300
    as i am(used to be) a careless person
    and it was great skiing with the camera just in my pocket... no worries at all
    but of course it gave up... and stills became blurry
    Yeah, I think people were suggesting something more like the powershot g7x, but you probably know that. That powershot zoom is intriguing, though. Too bad the image quality isn’t the best.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Google "Canon Elph" - those are the small pocketable Powershot cameras you want. Cheap, durable.
    yes and no... i have several options of making pictures... old samsung smartphone, old lumix digitalcamera

but the pictures are most of the time a bit dull... and somehow i feel like my skiing could improve if i post better pictures : ) maybe also my family life will improve with better pictures, who knows, cant give up the hope

but ofcorse i also think of it like: i will spend some money and then the whole thing could just fall apart because moisture finds its way in etc etc
    but i feel reassured as non of you is trying to talk my out of the rx100M3 - 5A. i am observing the prices and make a call maybe end of the month : ) depending on the discounts.
    the 2nd hand market savings are 150-200 but i am afraid to buy a droped banged raped camera.

i know now i don´t need M6 and M7
    Last edited by nordekette; 12-06-2020 at 02:41 AM.
    LIVE IS NOT A CHAIRLIFT

Maybe check out a Nikon coolpix W300. It's what I arrived at with a search akin to yours...

I am not a camera meister.

FWIW, Canon sells refurbished cameras directly too. Nice savings over new pricing. I've bought two from them, no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Maybe check out a Nikon coolpix W300. It's what I arrived at with a search akin to yours...

I am not a camera meister.
    I've got a W300 for diving/watersports and have had 3-4 waterproof point and shoots previous. My experience is similar to what nordkette found previous - the image quality is lower than other point and shoots and the functionality is limited by design features.

For the general Powershot series and Elphs - they're not what they used to be, compared to the continued improvement invested in the G# lines. The older Powershot S## line had really nice features and quality for the price, but Canon's pushed the SX7## and Elph lines to budget point and shoots that have "wifi and super zoom." Sticking with the Sony RX, Powershot G# and Lumix 100/200 gets you way better image quality and features.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    FWIW, Canon sells refurbished cameras directly too. Nice savings over new pricing. I've bought two from them, no issues.
    thanks guys for all your input.

i will research the canon refurbished options... could be the right thing!
    LIVE IS NOT A CHAIRLIFT

thanks guys for all your input.

i will research the canon refurbished options... could be the right thing!
    The “refurbished” cameras are often buyers remorse returns with very low shutter counts. Nothing wrong with them, but Canon can’t sell them as new. One thing the refurbished cameras have going for them is each one gets inspected individually, which isn’t always the case for new cameras.

Sony RX100...solid choice. I have the latest gen and focusing is super fast, awesome for action pics. Had an older gen with the faster lens and it was awesome picture quality. If you can swing it get a model with the pop up viewfinder...you won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Another RX100 user chiming in here. I have the V and would highly recommend if you can find a used one in decent shape in your price range.

Good AF, IQ, super packable - throw it in your jacket chest pocket and forget about it. Pop of viewfinder is essential, would not be worth the buy without it IMO.