Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Toyota FJ Cruiser. Any experience with one?

Get a Lexus GX470. It is basically a FJ with 4 real doors, a bomber V8 and heated seats. Probably babied by some 60yo Real Estate Broker.

Good advice there. ^^^^ Watch the air suspension...

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I was about to get a GX 470, those things are great and in the southeast they're surprisingly inexpensive. 06-09 you should be able to find a nice one for good money especially compared to what they cost new, HUDGE depreciation on those. Because it's effectively a Prado on a 4Runner platform there's all sorts of coil suspension replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Get a Lexus GX470. It is basically a FJ with 4 real doors, a bomber V8 and heated seats. Probably babied by some 60yo Real Estate Broker.
    I wouldn't trade my manual 08 for one.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    I wouldn't trade my manual 08 for one.
    I am transmission agnostic but I wouldn't give up 4 doors.

The airbags on my GX started to leak a bit and it is a cheap fix but I also decided that I probably needed new shocks and discovered a 2" OME lift kit was cheaper than replacement.

My mom had one from 2012 or so for several years. Biggest issue was they must have used the tastiest bioplastics ever on the wiring. She had to have the wiring redone three separate times because rats kept eating them. Eventually she learned to add a shit-ton of dryer sheets and the problem went away.

It’s a dieing breed. Have to respect them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Haven't owned an FJ, but have driven plenty-I can't get over how bad the visibility outside the rear quarter windows is. Will second the GX470 recommendation-though recently the market on clean examples has been shooting up with "overlanding" becoming the newest fad and people realizing how capable they are underneath.

Also curious what year Land Cruisers you were looking at- 08-present model years are still very expensive, but 12-15k will buy a very clean 99-07 (the 100 series), and if you look hard it's possible to find well taken care of examples under 10k. I have a '99 with 276k and it's barely skipped a beat in all the time I've owned it.

OP - have you driven any FJs? You'll decide pretty quickly on whether the visibility bothers you once you sit in one.

I thought that visibility was terrible and the interior felt quite cheap.

What's wrong with the Suburban?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I had one for a few years. Agreed with small interior and odd suicide doors, not family friendly. I really liked the manual, very fun to drive. I went through a few windshields. Get coverage on those. They acquire chips very easily and I believe the design doesn’t help with gas mileage. I’d drive one again once the kid is out of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    OP - have you driven any FJs? You'll decide pretty quickly on whether the visibility bothers you once you sit in one.

I thought that visibility was terrible and the interior felt quite cheap.

What's wrong with the Suburban?
    i have. i test drove one just yesterday and liked it quite well. blind spots weren't an issue to me and i had no problem with the interior.

the suburban has low oil pressure; the result of bearing spacing. it needs an engine rebuild and there are a few reasons that my dad and i would rather part with it; chief among them being that fact the model i have is 2wd. the others are as follows:
    -i fucking hate it
    -it has 225k miles
    -it runs like shit
    -makes ghetto ass noise when idling
    -it is the car my mom drove when my sister and i were young so we absolutely trashed it the way little kids do
    -i fucking hate it
    -half the interior panels are cracked and rattle
    -the engine shudders on the highway
    -it gets 12mpg
    -it is in the shop every two months or so
    -all the seats are cracked
    -i fucking hate it
    swing your fucking sword.

I’ve had an FJ, 4 runner and Tundra ( and supra). FJ was my least favourite but also my most.... it’s really a love hate vehicle. Really liked the looks of it, can’t see shit out of it. Front window gets cracked once a week because it’s damn near 90 degrees so if they gravel where you live get glass insurance. Only 2 windows roll down ( rear does open). I found it to be fairly gutless. With the rear seats laid down it does hold a decent amount of gear.

Like you I was single when I had it, off roaded a bit in it and it was great. I wish I held onto it for awhile because I would have made money on it.

If I’m looking at Toyota’s it’s probably the last one I’m looking at, older taco, 4 runner ( with the V8), GX, even tundra.

But buy what you want, if it is truly what you want you will always regret not buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    But buy what you want, if it is truly what you want you will always regret not buying it.
    I wish it were that simple but at 19, a 20k dollar car is hard to come by without daddy's help. i've got some convincing to do.

Get a 2nd gen 4Runner
    They’ll run 300k easy
    Decent ones are around for $5-7k

This is your lift op party wagon right? Back seats fold down for parking lot camp outs w lifty girls (there’s always 1

stay outta my line

different fork in road......

2 or 4 door xj, 3" lift, 31"s around, gears. easy to work on and WAY capable

Trick out the bed with a platform & futon with ski / gear storage underneath. Should be able to get @ least 350k.

https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto...230191229.html

stay outta my line

Fckn LOL. The dude says "stepped up to a wrangler" smh.

IMO any one of these "Reboot / Lifestyle" vehicles is an exercise in compromise. Ie. VW Beetle / Golf - BMW Mini / 2 Series - Hummer H2 / Tahoe.

They're always a sacrifice compared to the vehicle they're based on. If you're into style over substance, go for it. Otherwise, listen to some of the info in here. There's no shortage of Toyotas out there that will get the job done better and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    My goal with every car I buy is to drive it to the moon (theoretically). That FJ overshot the landing a bit. The Range Rover has 255K on it right now. I've achieved that goal.
    Have you tracked maintenance costs? If you have not, how do you know you're ahead? If you have, you're a masochist. So, fucked either way.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    I currently have 20 cars/trucks, +/- 3.
    I thought I was bad. Spill it. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hat-I-ve-Owned

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Isn't the correct answer an older Taco?
    Isn't this the answer to most of life's questions?

I'm still in my 2004 as my DD. Lately replacing parts here and there (clutch, cat, rear brakes) but mostly as anticipatory fixes. 142,500k and running strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Have you tracked maintenance costs? If you have not, how do you know you're ahead? If you have, you're a masochist. So, fucked either way.
    Yeah. Don't worry. I'm way ahead. Really.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

looks like i'm actually going to get a hand-me-down GX470 from my grandmother. can't remember the exact year but it only has 190k something on it. should save my dad and me some cash and allow for a more handsome allowance to fit it with some off road parts.

anybody owned one before?

Well done, yugely better rig, especially since it was a mall cruiser. Unless your gma likes to mud.

Dude I would take a GX470 over an FJ any day. You just scored!