PSA- Affordable carbon wheel-sets

Stumbled across Framed bikes website. They have a coupon for 20%off parts which includes their Pub carbon wheels. Not familiar with them, but a carbon wheel set for $480 looks tempting. Looks like they put their own branded hubs (probably Bitex or Novatec) on them. Have 29er with 38mm inner rim, 27.5 + with 43,53mm inner rim and for $560 road wheels with DT 240's

Fuck, that’s close to what 240’s cost wholesale by themselves!
    (That’s a bit of an exaggeration, but still)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I have been looking at the framed website pretty frequently for them to put their gravel wheels back up online. Hoping for good deals in the spring.

Those road wheels are compelling for $560, although they aren't disc compatible.

I picked up one of their first Al fatbikes a few years ago. Do yourself a favor and skip the Framed branded hubs. Mine was a Novatec and lunched itself after about $500 miles. Couldn't find parts, Framed customer support was useless.

Quote Originally Posted by pollydog View Post
    Stumbled across Framed bikes website. They have a coupon for 20%off parts which includes their Pub carbon wheels. Not familiar with them, but a carbon wheel set for $480 looks tempting. Looks like they put their own branded hubs (probably Bitex or Novatec) on them. Have 29er with 38mm inner rim, 27.5 + with 43,53mm inner rim and for $560 road wheels with DT 240's
    Hmmm, intriguing for the price. The photo of the 938s, and old review, allude to DT hubs?? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shop-29-38w.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	350971

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post

Those road wheels are compelling for $560, although they aren't disc compatible.
    And only 130 x 100, 9mm QR.
    basically N.O.S.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Classic Ebay style sales where there's a fancy picture of a wheel with a DT Swiss hub and the description lists a PUB Hub. How many people get their wheels in the mail, say "What The Fuck!", then look back at the listing online and say, "Fuck Me!"
    Fuck that.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Looks like the fat hubs were poorly engineered from the reviews I could find. Not sure about their boost hubs as I couldn't find any reviews on them.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    And only 130 x 100, 9mm QR.
    basically N.O.S.
    I started going down the "would this work on my gravel bike?" road but stopped at the discs. I figured I could pick up end caps to convert to 12x100 and 12x142.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Box Components recently released an $800/pr carbon wheelset

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Box Components recently released an $800/pr carbon wheelset
    Likely another private label Farsports/LB/BTLOS/etc set.

You can get built wheels direct from the rim manufacturers all day long for under $800 shipped. I going to order a pair today from BTLOS with DT 350s, and the nicer, premium rim layup for about $600. They also have pretty much any hub/spoke count/axle config in existence if you ask.

Don't overpay for a "brand" name that is literally just a sticker.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Maybe so. Other than knowing that the wheels take a beating and are built at the SoCal facility not overseas I don't know who makes the rims or hubs. https://boxcomponents.com/collections/wheels-mtb