Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Me 3. Though I'm not an idiot, when I ride up with people like Jax I'd give them their space. It's pretty obvious when someone is in their own head.
    Oh definitely, I have no problem leaving the silent brobrah types alone to jam on their tunes. I ski solo most days so I certainly understand the "me time" thing. I don't ski with music, though, so a little chair convo helps pass the time, and I'm interested in people's stories.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy as a clam and never ever take for granted that I get to ski so damn much. I always give the peace sign or thumbs up if I load a chair with other strangers if they give a good vibe, or say 'enjoy your day!' when unloading. And yeah, small town, I run into people and yes, we talk. I didn't mean to make it sound so black and white. I think Covid brings a whole new dimension, like, it's not cool if you talk bro, zip it!

Someone else mentioned smoking on the chair. I'm super sensitive to the smell. I can smell a smoker long after they've put one out. It irks me to sit in the chair behind a smoker, kills my fresh air. I've definitely thought about the covid hanging around in the smoke vapor, and it makes me suspect. But I still think gondy is gonna be riskiest.

Curious to see how various resorts are handling the singles line this year. Esp come pow mornings.

Edit to add- the fatter my skis are, the more ppl like to strike up conversations. Or in my bf's case, his pink skis. He actually put a sticker on them that says "yeah, they're pink". lol

I would usually rather ride alone than with strangers but pouting about it while people are just trying to be friendly never seemed to do anything to improve my day. it almost sounds like the pouters relish these covid times just because that gives them an excuse to pout even louder and meaner.

I think a jerry putting his hand across my thigh as we loaded a chair is more than friendly. He deserved my wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    That's me - sorry man. Rain, snow, sunshine, cold-as-fuck, or slushy and dirt showing, it's a nice day to be alive and out skiing. Have a good run!
    Ha ha. I like all kinds of weather, although for me rain is sitting by the fire drinking scotch weather. But if you're trying to start a conversation I'm sure you can do better than the weather. I'm in California--beautiful weather is our right, we take it for granted. I have stickers on my skis--KVMR (hippie radio station), Fender, a few others. I like talking about them. I just hope I never get stuck on a chair with you and yeahman talking about the weather the whole way up. :-)

Saw California's state rules for riding lifts, actually looser than the resorts'. Strangers on a chair ok if ride is less than 15 minutes, one space between everybody, if the lift stalls at 15 minutes somebody has to jump off. (OK I made up the last part. The rest is true.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I think a jerry putting his hand across my thigh as we loaded a chair is more than friendly. He deserved my wrath.
    The old "stop short on the chairlift" trick, eh

Universal Covid-19 solo chair riding etiquette?

Chiming in here, had a pleasant experience riding the gondola down from Silver today. Several people behind me in line. My turn came; I asked the couple behind if I could ride in my own gondy, they said “by all means”. Rode alone, no weird looks, no gasps, all was good!

Also rode lifts all day alone, waited in line, when it was my turn lined up in the center of the loading line. Got on.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^ well my comment a few days back was going to be thread titled universal when clearly it’s going to be regional and individual.

In other news, member that guy a decade ago that got into a lift load fist fight in Utah and then disappeared?

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    I don't know why the immediate assumption if I'm being quiet on the chair is I'm a grumpy fuck, bro-brah, having a bad day, pouter, etc. I enjoy every turn I make, and I talk to plenty of people on the chair. But more often than not, I would just rather listen to the chair bumping over the sheaves. I have young kids at home (who are home all of the time), I have to talk to people all day at work, skiing is my opportunity to shut myself up. I'm not trying to be in the "zone" or too cool for school, I just don't always need to talk, or to be talked at. I don't really talk to people in the elevator, or on the bus, or on a plane. The only difference with riding a chair is when we get off we're all doing something we really enjoy , and the scenery is a whole lot better. So enjoy it as you will.

I used to ski with a paperback in my pocket on sunny days (which is damn near every day here), and more often than not it was impossible to read because people always wanted to ask about what I was reading. Oh well.

no hablo ingles
    yepper

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Does anyone find themselves pulling their mask/buff/evs on when they laugh or sneeze or cry or cough ... at home, by yourself?

It's a new behavioral tick of sorts I've developed.
    That’s a solid no.
    A. Why are you wearing a buff or mask at home?
    Even in places where mask required, I would pull it off to sneeze into my elbow.

B. Even if I had a buff on my neck outside, I would sneeze into the fresh air, assuming no one nearby. Sneezing into your elbow is something my kids were taught years ago, and at the time I changed my habits, realizing it’s a good idea.
    Spraying mucus and snot and allergens and viruses into a buff that you will later breathe through is so wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    I used to ski with a paperback in my pocket on sunny days (which is damn near every day here), and more often than not it was impossible to read because people always wanted to ask about what I was reading. Oh well.
    Has anyone asked “what are you reading for?”
    #BillHicksComedy
    . . .

I enjoy riding the lift solo, find it very peaceful especially if it is towards the end of the day midweek with an empty hill. Worst is sitting next to some jabroni with a portable speak blasting crappy music.

I enjoyed this and related to chairlifts:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijGkQHVznno

That was great, thanks Wookiee!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
    I enjoyed this and related to chairlifts:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijGkQHVznno
    And trg relevant with the zee dash bo appearance at the six minute mark
    . . .

hey guys i want to know about few things about this site

Quote Originally Posted by renlystark12345 View Post
    PM Rontele.

Winter is coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    I don't know why the immediate assumption if I'm being quiet on the chair is I'm a grumpy fuck, bro-brah, having a bad day, pouter, etc. I enjoy every turn I make, and I talk to plenty of people on the chair. But more often than not, I would just rather listen to the chair bumping over the sheaves. I have young kids at home (who are home all of the time), I have to talk to people all day at work, skiing is my opportunity to shut myself up. I'm not trying to be in the "zone" or too cool for school, I just don't always need to talk, or to be talked at. I don't really talk to people in the elevator, or on the bus, or on a plane. The only difference with riding a chair is when we get off we're all doing something we really enjoy , and the scenery is a whole lot better. So enjoy it as you will.

Silence is highly underrated

Quote Originally Posted by renlystark12345 View Post
    i like this site. there is much discussion about skiing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    That’s a solid no.
    A. Why are you wearing a buff or mask at home?
    Even in places where mask required, I would pull it off to sneeze into my elbow.

B. Even if I had a buff on my neck outside, I would sneeze into the fresh air, assuming no one nearby. Sneezing into your elbow is something my kids were taught years ago, and at the time I changed my habits, realizing it’s a good idea.
    Spraying mucus and snot and allergens and viruses into a buff that you will later breathe through is so wrong.
    Speaking of hard no's... If you are sneezing mucus while wearing a face covering you don't need to worry about re-breathing, you need to isolate yourself. Buffs are extremely effective against allergens and you can still sneeze "into" your elbow while wearing one. Sneezing crap onto a perfectly functional DWR without a mask? No.

I like to start the ride with "Hi I'm muted. What's your favorite color?"

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Anyone who says grey gets a punch in the face.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
    Worst is sitting next to some jabroni with a portable speak blasting crappy music.
    +1 for jabroni

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Red. Duh.