Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Has anyone tried yelling Solo! yet in line to find another single to ride up with?
    No, I go in the single line and when I'm at the front, I turn around and ask the the next solo guy if he want to ride up with me. No resort person is herding us to the front though.

Tom cruise should be hired for mask enforcement.

Or maybe this angry Santa

https://mobile.twitter.com/jga41aghe...5816844951553?

Sorry for the twatter link, but it is funny
    . . .

So I skied with my buddy yesterday. Did not really want to wear his mask. I told him he needed to wear it. Just carried on like it was not an issue.

I think I’m going to have to tell him I won’t ride with him. Can’t take chances have high risk family

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    So I skied with my buddy yesterday. Did not really want to wear his mask. I told him he needed to wear it. Just carried on like it was not an issue.

I think I’m going to have to tell him I won’t ride with him. Can’t take chances have high risk family

If he doesn't want to wear it because it's a good idea to prevent viral spread, you could also point out that the state authorities deciding which businesses can operate and under what rules think masks are helpful, so wearing one consistently and correctly increases the chance they allow ski areas to keep operating.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    If he doesn't want to wear it because it's a good idea to prevent viral spread, you could also point out that the state authorities deciding which businesses can operate and under what rules think masks are helpful, so wearing one consistently and correctly increases the chance they allow ski areas to keep operating.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    I tried that approach. He really believes the 1% get it and less than 1% die. There is not much reasoning I just have to provide my position and follow it. It’s like when he wants to ski a line I don’t feel is safe. I will explain that I won’t ski it and for what reasons.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Anyone been riding solo? Not a big deal at this point, just get paired up with other singles? Likely heading up for the first time this season tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    Anyone been riding solo? Not a big deal at this point, just get paired up with other singles? Likely heading up for the first time this season tomorrow...
    Loveland pairs singles on 4 packs by default.

FWIW, Loveland Ski Club (the local race program) is now recommending that coaches encourage 3 on a 4 pack and 2 on a 3 person chairs. The data is pretty clear that outdoor is very low risk. Not to mention, the bigger risk is standing in close proximity to many people in crowded lift lines.

FILL THE CHAIRS

At this point I'm fine with sitting 4 to a chair. Rare to actually even have COVID, and even rarer still to have it transmitted outdoors, especially when everyone is wearing masks. The wind blows it all away!

I always ride solo on a double chair, and haven't heard a peep of shit about it... unless its with someone i know. Its not that i overly trust the folks i "know", but more that it limits my close-quarters interaction with people if i only pair up with people i know instead of any single stranger that pops up.

I always try and pair up with another single for a quad or triple chair though. Kind of a bummer when folks intentionally ride quads solo as riding with another single is probably more spacing than standing in the lift lines, but again, havent heard a peep of shit talked about it. Im happy to have resorts open, and been happily surprised at the lack of malicious anti-masker behavior i have seen in person. Do what feels comfortable and safe (enough) for your tolerance.

If you havent been around crowds in a while, being in a lift line will be a trip as even though you are spaced about 5'-6' from everyone, make no mistake you are still in a crowd of people.

I was at Alpine a few weeks ago on a powder day. it was afternoon, and the lines had mellowed a bit, but there was still a family good queue to get on the chair. Solo woman rolls up to the Summit 6 chair, is asked if she is willing to ride with tow others. Nope, single it is.

I get wanting to ride solo, but maybe do so on any other chair that does not have a line. Or at least sit six feet away from one other person on a six pack. Or, stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I was at Alpine a few weeks ago on a powder day. it was afternoon, and the lines had mellowed a bit, but there was still a family good queue to get on the chair. Solo woman rolls up to the Summit 6 chair, is asked if she is willing to ride with tow others. Nope, single it is.

I get wanting to ride solo, but maybe do so on any other chair that does not have a line. Or at least sit six feet away from one other person on a six pack. Or, stay home.
    Maybe she just had to fart and didn't want to offend anyone.

I've rode chairs with hundreds of strangers this season, not to mention dozens of tram laps. It does seem weird at first but I got used to it quickly. However, on some occasions I have asked if I could ride with a couple or whatever and they said no. I just said no worries and found somebody else to ride with. I haven't really seen any lift-shaming going on.

I have definitely noticed mask compliance has decreased, especially in the tram line, and especially among local dirtbags, at least that's how it appears to me. Whatever. I fucking hate wearing a mask waiting in the tram line, but I do it because it makes the lifties happy, and one of the tram lifties consistently spies me back in the line and waves me forward as a "single" right past the unmasked dirtbag locals. She is cool.

I have definitely noticed mask compliance has decreased, especially in the tram line, and especially among local dirtbags, at least that's how it appears to me. Whatever. I fucking hate wearing a mask waiting in the tram line, but I do it because it makes the lifties happy, and one of the tram lifties consistently spies me back in the line and waves me forward as a "single" right past the unmasked dirtbag locals. She is cool.
    Winning.

I asked 2 folks yesterday if they minded if I hopped on with them, they were in the DGAF line, they said no.

No biggie.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I ride solo when the lines are minimal, otherwise with one or two other people on 4 and 6 packs respectively. I have never not been allowed to ride solo when I wanted to. I've gotten a little flak when there is virtually no line--people are asking to share a chair with things empty enough that if there weren't a pandemic they would ride solo. That I don't get. Weekends I avoid altogether and if things are getting crowded I sometimes head to a fixed grip triple. No one seems to mind solo riders on those.

Lately I'm getting more picky--too many rides with people who wouldn't cover their noses or who took their masks off on the chair and who were assholes about it. It's been a long year and the end is not as close as a lot of people think.

The likelihood of getting covid on a chair lift or a lift line is low. It is not zero. Having cared for too many people in ICU's on ventilators and having been in ICU's a couple of times myself I am only too aware of what a terrifying and excruciating experience a bad case of Covid would be--even if you survive without lasting effects. There is no reason to take a chance when the alternative is waiting a little longer in line, giving people a little space, and wearing a mask--if you can't manage that you probably don't belong in the human race.

BTW--around here the protocol is that if you want to ride alone you get into the line with groups of people. If you get in the singles line it is assumed that you will ride with another single or two or a couple (6 packs). And even if you are willing to share a chair by being in the group line, when you get up to the singles line you can check out the person you will be riding with and decline if they're not being safe.

Can't argue with ya goat that it ain't no joke. Local dad here in town whose daughters are friends with mine was posting pics of his family skiing in Jackson and Utah not two or three weeks ago. Came down with covid and got very sick very quickly. Had a series of strokes and suffered permanent brain damage. They took him off life support yesterday. No shit this all happened in the space of a couple weeks, guy was probably 50, skier, mountain biker, etc. It is so weird how it hits some people so hard and others hardly at all.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I ride solo when the lines are minimal, otherwise with one or two other people on 4 and 6 packs respectively. I have never not been allowed to ride solo when I wanted to. I've gotten a little flak when there is virtually no line--people are asking to share a chair with things empty enough that if there weren't a pandemic they would ride solo. That I don't get. Weekends I avoid altogether and if things are getting crowded I sometimes head to a fixed grip triple. No one seems to mind solo riders on those.

Lately I'm getting more picky--too many rides with people who wouldn't cover their noses or who took their masks off on the chair and who were assholes about it. It's been a long year and the end is not as close as a lot of people think.

The likelihood of getting covid on a chair lift or a lift line is low. It is not zero. Having cared for too many people in ICU's on ventilators and having been in ICU's a couple of times myself I am only too aware of what a terrifying and excruciating experience a bad case of Covid would be--even if you survive without lasting effects. There is no reason to take a chance when the alternative is waiting a little longer in line, giving people a little space, and wearing a mask--if you can't manage that you probably don't belong in the human race.

BTW--around here the protocol is that if you want to ride alone you get into the line with groups of people. If you get in the singles line it is assumed that you will ride with another single or two or a couple (6 packs). And even if you are willing to share a chair by being in the group line, when you get up to the singles line you can check out the person you will be riding with and decline if they're not being safe.
    Good post ; valuable post. Thank you... skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Can't argue with ya goat that it ain't no joke. Local dad here in town whose daughters are friends with mine was posting pics of his family skiing in Jackson and Utah not two or three weeks ago. Came down with covid and got very sick very quickly. Had a series of strokes and suffered permanent brain damage. They took him off life support yesterday. No shit this all happened in the space of a couple weeks, guy was probably 50, skier, mountain biker, etc. It is so weird how it hits some people so hard and others hardly at all.
    will history show we underappreciated the Risk of being infected with this virus... ?

so much of society has just resumed normal activities. . .

Major ( suckage ) for your daughters' friends...

Condolences... tj

The vast majority of people could ride unmasked on a packed chairlift after waiting in the kind of hand to hand combat we have in the KT line on a storm day and not get Covid or get Covid and be asymptomatic or mildly ill. And then there's the rare person who gets really sick or dies or infects a family member who dies. Human beings are are very bad at managing low frequency high consequence risks. You have to factor in how likely the risk is, how bad the consequences if the feared outcome happens, how great the benefit of taking the risk is, and how onerous it is to ameliorate the risk. And if taking the risk may harm other people it's more complicated yet. For a nation of people who cannot negotiate a 4 way stop intersection that's a big ask.

It's almost like this virus has us humans all figured out.

That we're all self-serving assholes when push comes to shove?

WE. R. FUCT.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters