Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My pole plus my arm is 6 feet. If my pole tip is in your eye you're too close. If my pole tip is up your ass I'm too close. Sorry.
    Old goat cracks me up yet again
    skid luxury

I posted this in the Wasatch thread last week about my experience at Snowbird:

Around noon I was standing at the front of the line for Gadzoom waiting to be called to pass through the gate and some stranger behind me asked if he could ride with me. I gave him a simple no. He then objected saying, "what you going to take up a whole chair by yourself!". Now remember there is a 20" base, it hasn't snowed in weeks, the only thing open are a few groomers, and there was virtually no lines to top it off, and this 25 year old wanted to argue with me about why he can't ride up with me. So I said, "I just wired $20,000 today to pay for the medical care of a child I know in the ICU with covid. I have 12 people who depend on me financially for living expenses and medical care. I am not going to jeopardize their ability to live just because some asshole has the hots for me (I'm a middle age ugly guy) and wants to ride a chair with me". He said something in return I don't remember objecting to my argument while saying I don't know how the lifts work which made me say "I ski 150 days a year here (which I do), I know how the lifts work". That shut him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevintheskier View Post
    I posted this in the Wasatch thread last week about my experience at Snowbird:

Around noon I was standing at the front of the line for Gadzoom waiting to be called to pass through the gate and some stranger behind me asked if he could ride with me. I gave him a simple no. He then objected saying, "what you going to take up a whole chair by yourself!". Now remember there is a 20" base, it hasn't snowed in weeks, the only thing open are a few groomers, and there was virtually no lines to top it off, and this 25 year old wanted to argue with me about why he can't ride up with me. So I said, "I just wired $20,000 today to pay for the medical care of a child I know in the ICU with covid. I have 12 people who depend on me financially for living expenses and medical care. I am not going to jeopardize their ability to live just because some asshole has the hots for me (I'm a middle age ugly guy) and wants to ride a chair with me". He said something in return I don't remember objecting to my argument while saying I don't know how the lifts work which made me say "I ski 150 days a year here (which I do), I know how the lifts work". That shut him up.
    Stop trying so hard.

You outlived your expected life be happy.

GET A FUCKING JOB YOU FUCKING PUSSIES TOO.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    For fuck's sake, kid.

There's plenty of people living with an exceptional amount of privilege on this site, light it up. But if you're skiing, you're enjoying plenty of privilege well above and beyond what many people in this country and the vast majority of human beings in existence will ever be able to comprehend, let alone aspire to. So please, tell us how we're all trust-fund dentist whiners with no understanding of the struggles of the common man, glaring down from our gilded perches with disdain and spitting upon any puny mortal who dares ask for table scraps. I want to hear all about your life when you're not on your parent's health insurance and your student loans come due.

I know I shouldn't feed trolls, but I'm sorry your junky hip-hop hero OD'd.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    For fuck's sake, kid.

There's plenty of people living with an exceptional amount of privilege on this site, light it up. But if you're skiing, you're enjoying plenty of privilege well above and beyond what many people in this country and the vast majority of human beings in existence will ever be able to comprehend, let alone aspire to. So please, tell us how we're all trust-fund dentist whiners with no understanding of the struggles of the common man, glaring down from our gilded perches with disdain and spitting upon any puny mortal who dares ask for table scraps. I want to hear all about your life when you're not on your parent's health insurance and your student loans come due.

I know I shouldn't feed trolls, but I'm sorry your junky hip-hop hero OD'd.
    Dont melt out I represent a 120 person manufacturing plant as an outside sales guy.

So I dont cop out ad get scared of covid the dudes on the floor show up every day.

Thats enough of my TGR nonsense tho I don't wanna dick wag.

JUICE WRLD

STFU you fucking JONG
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I love skiing and talking to my people on the lift.

You can really make another humans wonderful interaction with a dope ass 4 minute chat.

Its not golf you guys its skiing. Just riding that mountain and being one with the hill is a beautiful thing especially when you and your chair partner just have a wonderful 3 minute chat.

Skiing is the best.

End the fear.

End the fear its stupid just ride the lift and chat with your brethern we are all gonna go down together.

If I am going to die I would love to go out chatting shit on a ski lift with all of you homies. Good way to go out.

OP is not crazy. If a bunch of us get sick at a ski resort, those f'ing government officials are going to close our ski resorts down, then no one gets to ski groomers this year. On an empty day with no one in line, just wait 20 seconds for the next chair. Different story on a busy day with long lines where you're probably safer on a chair with a random than waiting in line with a shitload of randoms for 10+ minutes. This stuff is not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by FigureELEVEN11 View Post
    If I am going to die I would love to go out chatting shit on a ski lift with all of you homies. Good way to go out.
    All it takes is a good shove
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Died doing what he loved

Was going singles line the other day and the maze was backing up a little. Liftie missed the singles line a couple cycles and some folks were queuing up single in the quad line. Single comes through and I ask if I can share a chair. Old timer yells at me like a crazy man. Everyone stops and goes silent. He then walks it back a little and says he would but doesn’t want to break the rules. I say that the rules posted are that we can share a quad on opposite sides but it’s okay if he is not okay with that. I look at the liftie and he says yep. Single guy yells at me that he’s not okay with that. I shrug and the liftie gives me the next chair. I get wanting to ride single during Covid but I also get not being an asshole.

Hah.

I’ve been thinking about ASL lately.

All these state covid briefings have asl interpreters. Never mind that it’s a modern world, with closed caption technology that could do a better job of conveying complex covid messages.

I really would like to see a reverse translation of asl and see how much information is lost.

Carry on.
    . . .

Have there been documented cases of outdoor transmission yet? Like, enough of them to declare being anywhere near anyone for a couple minutes is a significant risk?

Everything I've read so far talks about prolonged exposure with the infected (~15 min) in an enclosed environment with poor air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by FigureELEVEN11 View Post
    Daddddddyyyyyyyy

They didn't wear their masks in the liftline and they put me on the 6 pack with a dad and his kid I am gonna get rona.

Daaaaadddddddyyyyy I am scared.
    Is Blurred Elevens back????
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Hah.

I’ve been thinking about ASL lately.

All these state covid briefings have asl interpreters. Never mind that it’s a modern world, with closed caption technology that could do a better job of conveying complex covid messages.

I really would like to see a reverse translation of asl and see how much information is lost.

Carry on.
    The interpreters you see on TV at press briefings are usually CDIs (Certified Deaf Interpreter) meaning they are deaf, they are receiving ASL from a hearing interpreter, and relaying it to the deaf community in their native language. They are conveying the information to the breadth of the deaf community which means they have to make it understandable to everyone from those who have zero knowledge of English to those who started out hearing with English and became deaf at a later date. There are also plenty of foreign-born deaf people who come to America and learn ASL for more opportunity but have never learned English. Also, closed captioning is available on most live TV programming, especially news conferences, so that option is available for those who want it. Those complex covid messages can actually be better explained to the deaf community via an interpreter than through written English. Carry on.

*source: my wife is an ASL interpreter.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    The interpreters you see on TV at press briefings are usually CDIs (Certified Deaf Interpreter) meaning they are deaf, they are receiving ASL from a hearing interpreter, and relaying it to the deaf community in their native language. They are conveying the information to the breadth of the deaf community which means they have to make it understandable to everyone from those who have zero knowledge of English to those who started out hearing with English and became deaf at a later date. There are also plenty of foreign-born deaf people who come to America and learn ASL for more opportunity but have never learned English. Also, closed captioning is available on most live TV programming, especially news conferences, so that option is available for those who want it. Those complex covid messages can actually be better explained to the deaf community via an interpreter than through written English. Carry on.

*source: my wife is an ASL interpreter.
    Thank you. If you're old enough to remember how bad CC was twenty or so years ago you wouldn't wonder why they have ASL interpreters. I'm sure Core Shot would be shocked to learn that all of my deaf relatives prefer Skype/Zoom/Facetime over typing on a TTY. Fucking hell.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

I get bored riding chairs. I actually like talking to folks in a normal year, as long as we're not talking about politics, religion, or the weather. I'll even talk to you if you slam the bar on my head, as long as you say sorry first, and as long as I am still conscious.
    When people mention the weather it's just an introductory "safe" topic to kinda feel out the other person and break the proverbial ice. I've found when I immediately start getting in to comparing the last time we were inside of a woman's asshole it tends to throw people off a little.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Died doing what he loved
    Well played you two

Quote Originally Posted by mattdeen View Post
    This stuff is not rocket science.
    No, it's a lot more complicated than rocket science. Biology vs physics you know.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Have there been documented cases of outdoor transmission yet? Like, enough of them to declare being anywhere near anyone for a couple minutes is a significant risk?

Everything I've read so far talks about prolonged exposure with the infected (~15 min) in an enclosed environment with poor air flow.
    Indoors with poor ventilation for greater than 15 minutes closer than 6 feet is certainly a high risk situation but no one is saying it's the only way you can get it. There have certainly been plenty of cases where people who have never been in that situation have contracted Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    When people mention the weather it's just an introductory "safe" topic to kinda feel out the other person and break the proverbial ice. I've found when I immediately start getting in to comparing the last time we were inside of a woman's asshole it tends to throw people off a little.
    I know that. I'm just being me. Don't take me so seriously. Think of a crankier version of Louis Black.

The ASL conversation made me recall something I was wondering recently: are deaf people statistically less likely to get Covid because they don't talk? I would guess not because they still live in a world where most people are talking, but I'm still curious.

By the way, my wife is a court reporter and she did live TV closed captioning for a while. Any pre-recorded show will most likely be captioned prior to airing, but things like live news or sporting events use live captioners. Essentially how they do it is the captioner gets the audio feed directly from the station and they transcribe it in real time using a steno machine connected to captioning software. The software then uploads the captions back to the station and they appear on the broadcast. Unlike courtroom transcription, the captioner isn't necessarily expected to capture everything verbatim.

One thing I found interesting at the time is most stations (as of about a decade ago when my wife last did it) still used a dial-up modem for the caption feed. When my wife started doing this we had to make a trip to a used computer store to find a 2400 bps modem!

An observation I've made at work is that many deaf people need to have the person they are talking to drop their mask in order to lip read. That would probably cancel out what you are thinking.